Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
In the Pipeline at Old Oak 21:50 - Mar 8 with 6218 viewsMark_Edwards

Joint Developement QPR and Genesis (housing assoc)
6 Blocks with a minimum of 610- mainly 4 bed flats with 120 underground parking places
and allocated 1100 spaces for Bicycles (makes you wonder)
Highest Block 24 stories, others less than 12 stories.
early days but no stadium.

Who was asking about cycling to Rangers?
[Post edited 8 Mar 2018 21:52]
In the Pipeline at Old Oak on 21:52 - Mar 8 with 4737 viewsBoston

We're aiming at the Chinese fan base.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

In the Pipeline at Old Oak on 07:58 - Mar 9 with 4341 viewsPlanetHonneywood

610 apartments, some with four bedrooms. And for what could be anywhere from 610 people to maybe say, 2,000 people, 120 car parking bays.

I could suggest this is an example of how and why the financial maths at QPR never quite aligned, but this is typical of development world over. Anyone from Greenford-sur-Canal will be aware of a monstrous thing going up with - I think - one third car parking for the number of apartments; many of which will be multiple occupancy.

So where do the cars go? I say this because the transport infrastructure is way off being an attractive alternative and the provision of amenities is often an after thought as well.

By 2050, 67% of the global population will be crammed into urban living in what are being termed mega-cities; dwarfing that which we consider a big city today. These places will mirror Fritz Lang’s 1927 vision of metropolises that frankly, will be concrete and glass shit-holes in the sky!!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

In the Pipeline at Old Oak on 08:32 - Mar 9 with 4291 viewsMytch_QPR

To be fair, there are lots of Chinese people on bicycles in Blade Runner. It rains a lot too, so could be an accurate vision of London in 30 years time.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

In the Pipeline at Old Oak on 08:42 - Mar 9 with 4266 viewsCroydonCaptJack

In the Pipeline at Old Oak on 07:58 - Mar 9 by PlanetHonneywood

610 apartments, some with four bedrooms. And for what could be anywhere from 610 people to maybe say, 2,000 people, 120 car parking bays.

I could suggest this is an example of how and why the financial maths at QPR never quite aligned, but this is typical of development world over. Anyone from Greenford-sur-Canal will be aware of a monstrous thing going up with - I think - one third car parking for the number of apartments; many of which will be multiple occupancy.

So where do the cars go? I say this because the transport infrastructure is way off being an attractive alternative and the provision of amenities is often an after thought as well.

By 2050, 67% of the global population will be crammed into urban living in what are being termed mega-cities; dwarfing that which we consider a big city today. These places will mirror Fritz Lang’s 1927 vision of metropolises that frankly, will be concrete and glass shit-holes in the sky!!

It's a bit chicken and egg though isn't it? If you encourage people to have cars then the roads will become even more congested. A lot of people who live in cities now rely on the public transport system with taxis supplementing. I don't have a massive problem with these low car park space ratios providing more money is invested in the public transport infrastucture.
In the Pipeline at Old Oak on 08:57 - Mar 9 with 4229 viewsNW10Hoop

A lot of new developments round my way (and I believe elsewhere in London too) have minimal if any parking.

Suggesting this is some kind of QPR cock up isn’t really fair

I’m almost 40 and growing up in London have never owned or particularly needed a car. With a second kid on the way, I’m finally thinking about it, but also thinking of moving further out. People who want to live in inner London know that having a car is a bit of a ball ache
In the Pipeline at Old Oak on 09:31 - Mar 9 with 4143 viewsBoston

In the Pipeline at Old Oak on 08:57 - Mar 9 by NW10Hoop

A lot of new developments round my way (and I believe elsewhere in London too) have minimal if any parking.

I’m almost 40 and growing up in London have never owned or particularly needed a car. With a second kid on the way, I’m finally thinking about it, but also thinking of moving further out. People who want to live in inner London know that having a car is a bit of a ball ache

You’re the type of chap who really doesn’t care about unemployed chauffeur’s aren’t you?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

In the Pipeline at Old Oak on 09:33 - Mar 9 with 4146 viewsMytch_QPR

Planning regulations have been relaxed in terms of parking spaces - simply because of the pressure to create more housing. It used to be 1 per dwelling + some additional visitor spaces.
The big trend now is office conversions to flats - very soulless. Looks like we'll all be working from home in the future!

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

In the Pipeline at Old Oak on 09:34 - Mar 9 with 4143 viewsGloucs_R

Interesting, if I lived in the London bubble I would probably feel the same way.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Login to get fewer ads

In the Pipeline at Old Oak on 09:44 - Mar 9 with 4125 viewsizlingtonhoop

Virtue signalling alert.

Mrs Iz and I have lived in inner-London for 32 years and have owned a crappy Mk 2 Fiesta for about 2 years in the late 80s.

Since then we have shunned car ownership.

We have successfully raised two children - both of whom have reached 17, and when offered driving lessons have sorta gone: yeh mebee, one day...

Coincidentally (Yeh! Right!), a Zip car banner has come up on the page as I write this, Membership of which has served us very well over about 8 or 9 years. When planning a longer, out of town journey we compare it to Sixt, which sometimes works out cheaper.

We do whatever we want to around town, very often involving alcohol, and rarely need to use cabs.

I'd much rather go to away matches by train, versus me driving or getting a lift.

And thanks to someone reminding me of its usefulness on here, I bought a two-together railcard for me and JuniorIz (who will be visiting universities in the next 12 months) and it paid for itself in the first trip - Bristol City.

I honestly(!) NEVER think "I wish we had our own car".
In the Pipeline at Old Oak on 09:45 - Mar 9 with 4124 viewshopphoops

The problem with Britain is its low intensity housing sprawl, leaving no room for anything natural or valuable. Much better to live in less space in compact cities.

And apparently there's going to be a station there...

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

In the Pipeline at Old Oak on 09:52 - Mar 9 with 4114 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Hence why I said I could say it’s indicative of our maths ability, but that it’s the development mindset world over - Build without full consideration of people’s needs.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

In the Pipeline at Old Oak on 10:01 - Mar 9 with 4101 viewsNW10Hoop

In the Pipeline at Old Oak on 09:52 - Mar 9 by PlanetHonneywood

Hence why I said I could say it’s indicative of our maths ability, but that it’s the development mindset world over - Build without full consideration of people’s needs.

Fair play. You did indeed.

I just wanted to reassert the point that those numbers aren’t particularly crazy for a development in zone 2 in London, and on this occasion our owners are marching to the right beat.

Banging on about property deals, feels like we’re paving the way for a new feature for Football Manager 2021 doesn’t it?!

In the Pipeline at Old Oak on 10:06 - Mar 9 with 4086 viewsCroydonCaptJack

In the Pipeline at Old Oak on 09:45 - Mar 9 by hopphoops

The problem with Britain is its low intensity housing sprawl, leaving no room for anything natural or valuable. Much better to live in less space in compact cities.

And apparently there's going to be a station there...

I believe there is only about 6% the Country actually built on though.
In the Pipeline at Old Oak on 10:28 - Mar 9 with 4016 viewsBrianMcCarthy

As long as someone doesn't build a sports stadium or something there.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

In the Pipeline at Old Oak on 10:30 - Mar 9 with 4013 viewsAntti_Heinola

who needs a car in London?
By the time that's built anyway, the car as we know it will be nearly obsolete.

Bare bones.

In the Pipeline at Old Oak on 10:31 - Mar 9 with 4003 viewsstevec

Has the club spelt out how they fit into this joint development?

Are QPR going to share in the profits generated from what I'd hazard a guess at between £400 and £600 million turnover if they're predominantly 4 bed flats?

If not, are the profits from such turnover going to be apportioned to QPR football club in a Trust possibly, to go towards costs when land development becomes available?

Curious how closely QPR are involved financially.
In the Pipeline at Old Oak on 10:47 - Mar 9 with 3972 viewshopphoops

In the Pipeline at Old Oak on 10:06 - Mar 9 by CroydonCaptJack

Ha! I stand somewhat corrected ( http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-41901294).

But the British model of low-density housebuilding forces people into cars when it would be perfectly feasible to create self-sustainable, walkable, affordable communities if only people gave up that squalid unused smear of so-called garden out the back, and lived one top of each other instead.

FWIW that Oaklands development looks really smart, though I wouldn't fancy Tone as a landlord, he'd be forever turning up at your door after a few pints and getting emotional.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.

In the Pipeline at Old Oak on 11:02 - Mar 9 with 3928 viewsisawqpratwcity

In the Pipeline at Old Oak on 10:47 - Mar 9 by hopphoops

But the British model of low-density housebuilding forces people into cars when it would be perfectly feasible to create self-sustainable, walkable, affordable communities if only people gave up that squalid unused smear of so-called garden out the back, and lived one top of each other instead.

FWIW that Oaklands development looks really smart, though I wouldn't fancy Tone as a landlord, he'd be forever turning up at your door after a few pints and getting emotional.

404 - Page not found

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

In the Pipeline at Old Oak on 11:03 - Mar 9 with 3927 viewsDorse

In the Pipeline at Old Oak on 10:30 - Mar 9 by Antti_Heinola

who needs a car in London?
By the time that's built anyway, the car as we know it will be nearly obsolete.

FWIW (i.e. sod all divided by six) bikes can be a decent solution in urban areas. My Dad used to cycle into work from Hounslow to Knightsbridge way back in the 80s.

I am sad to report, however, that it was not on a Raleigh Chopper.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

In the Pipeline at Old Oak on 11:07 - Mar 9 with 3912 viewsCroydonCaptJack

In the Pipeline at Old Oak on 10:47 - Mar 9 by hopphoops

I wasn't trying to be a smart alec there by the way mate, it is just that I am always amazed by how low the actual % built on is.
In the Pipeline at Old Oak on 12:01 - Mar 9 with 3813 viewsizlingtonhoop

In the Pipeline at Old Oak on 10:06 - Mar 9 by CroydonCaptJack

This article claims 2%, Uk-wide is actually 'built on' - you'll see how it makes sense if you read it. And it does quote around 6 or 7% urbanised as you suggest CCJ.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18623096

And it mentions - as indeed I was going to comment before I read it - that it is always astonishing to see, as one flies in to the country, that there is barely anything down there other than natural green and brownish hues; if farming is natural - which of course it isn't. Even flying over the south east, which is obviously the most heavily urbanised region of these islands.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2018 12:02]
In the Pipeline at Old Oak on 12:21 - Mar 9 with 3763 viewshopphoops

In the Pipeline at Old Oak on 11:07 - Mar 9 by CroydonCaptJack

I wasn't trying to be a smart alec there by the way mate, it is just that I am always amazed by how low the actual % built on is.

No offence taken! Like you i was just surprised. In fact urban space is much more accessible than farmland so that's where we spend our time. But when i lived in London I always wished it were a bit more three-dimensional as the tube chuntered along through the endless flat expanses.

Here's that link btw, mended:
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-41901294

In the Pipeline at Old Oak on 13:04 - Mar 9 with 3661 viewsBklynRanger

In the Pipeline at Old Oak on 12:01 - Mar 9 by izlingtonhoop

This article claims 2%, Uk-wide is actually 'built on' - you'll see how it makes sense if you read it. And it does quote around 6 or 7% urbanised as you suggest CCJ.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18623096

And it mentions - as indeed I was going to comment before I read it - that it is always astonishing to see, as one flies in to the country, that there is barely anything down there other than natural green and brownish hues; if farming is natural - which of course it isn't. Even flying over the south east, which is obviously the most heavily urbanised region of these islands.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2018 12:02]

Interesting article Iz. I've been wondering about all this stuff for a while - comparing the UK with the USA for example, that view from the air at night always looked much more dense to me than it does to the person writing that article. Which was clearly just a result of living in America for so long. When we would travel from NY to California to visit my brother in law it always seemed mad how much utter emptiness you would fly over - hours of the stuff. Completely undermines the idea that America is full - just anti-migrant bollocks.

I do think there's a lot to be said for developing cities, building infrastructure, living in close proximity to your neighbours rather than suffering in isolation in a disconnected suburb - that was the American public health view at least when I was there and I suppose it translates to here in some ways. Anyway, as far as cars go, I lived in London for 7 years and Brooklyn for 17 years and never owned a car in either place. If somebody handed me one on The Price is Right I'd happily take it but I think it would just sit outside depreciating most of the time.
In the Pipeline at Old Oak on 13:14 - Mar 9 with 3633 viewshopphoops

In the Pipeline at Old Oak on 13:04 - Mar 9 by BklynRanger

Interesting article Iz. I've been wondering about all this stuff for a while - comparing the UK with the USA for example, that view from the air at night always looked much more dense to me than it does to the person writing that article. Which was clearly just a result of living in America for so long. When we would travel from NY to California to visit my brother in law it always seemed mad how much utter emptiness you would fly over - hours of the stuff. Completely undermines the idea that America is full - just anti-migrant bollocks.

I do think there's a lot to be said for developing cities, building infrastructure, living in close proximity to your neighbours rather than suffering in isolation in a disconnected suburb - that was the American public health view at least when I was there and I suppose it translates to here in some ways. Anyway, as far as cars go, I lived in London for 7 years and Brooklyn for 17 years and never owned a car in either place. If somebody handed me one on The Price is Right I'd happily take it but I think it would just sit outside depreciating most of the time.

I got my first car two years ago aged 45 and now spend a lot of time in it - I only stand up for about 10 minutes a day I reckon. Does your back in I tell you...

In the Pipeline at Old Oak on 16:07 - Mar 9 with 3392 viewskensalriser

There are of course thousands of terraced and semi-detached streets in London where the only parking is on the road.

I have two cars and hardly drive at all in London now. Bike or train or a combination of the two works fine for most urban journeys.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024