Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Coventry getting booted out Ricoh, off to Burton or Birmingham 16:55 - Apr 11 with 3513 viewsmakaveli1882

Coventry City say they intend to leave the Ricoh Arena at the end of the season, having been unable to agree a new deal with landlords Wasps.

The Sky Blues are now weighing up two other groundshare options.

But City, who spent a season playing 'home' games at Northampton in 2013-14, are yet to satisfy the English Football League Board over next season's plans.

An extraordinary general meeting on 25 April has been convened, with expulsion from the league still possible.

The League One club had been warned that a meeting would be called, if they did not have concrete plans by 2 April as to where they would be playing their home games next season.

A statement issued by the EFL on Thursday said: "The EFL board is still to receive a definitive application from Coventry City in respect to where the club plans to stage its home matches in the 2019-20 season.

"The club continues to work with a number of relevant parties, as they attempt to seek a solution that satisfies the EFL.

"An EGM of clubs has been convened to consider their expulsion from the league on 25 April if they are unable to satisfy the EFL board.

"The EFL understands that it is the club's preference to extend their stay at the Ricoh Arena for future seasons and this would meet the EFL's ultimate objective of ensuring they continue to play in the city of Coventry on a long-term basis. "

Groundshare plans progressing
City subsequently put out their own statement, stating that, although they would prefer to stay in the city, they are moving ahead with with plans to play elsewhere.

The statement said: "The football club have confirmed to the EFL that it is close to the head of terms stage with two groundshare options.

"Coventry City will now progress to working on finalising terms with the clubs and stadiums involved.

"While it remains our number one priority to stay, we can confirm that unfortunately the Ricoh Arena is not one of the venues above."

BBC Coventry & Warwickshire reported last week that the club's owners, Sisu, have identified the site of the former Woodlands School in the west of the city, which closed in July 2016, as a location for building a new stadium.

But the club needs somewhere to play on an interim basis.

The club statement added: "At this stage, Wasps continue to choose not to enter into talks with the football club, while our owners Sisu continue legal action with Coventry City Council.

"Regrettably, we therefore have had to make alternative plans to the Ricoh Arena, the stadium that was built for us, to ensure our place in the EFL next season.

"It is not an easy situation, and we apologise to supporters that it has reached this stage and for the heartache which has been caused.

"Coventry City FC and its management team cannot affect the stances of Coventry City Council, Wasps or of our owners in this situation.

"What we can do is put in plans to ensure this football club continues to survive despite the impasse that exists."

Coventry getting booted out Ricoh, off to Burton or Birmingham on 16:59 - Apr 11 with 3480 viewsLblock

He’s been a roaring success that Shaun Harvey hasn’t he?

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Coventry getting booted out Ricoh, off to Burton or Birmingham on 17:11 - Apr 11 with 3422 viewsterryb

You can blame Harvey for many things, but I don't think you can this one.

It appears to me that the EFL are doing their utmost to give Coventry time to find a home for next season as they could have enforced the April 2nd deadline.

Isn't this the case of the landlords, Wasps, not entering into negoiations with their tennants, Coventry City?

I wonder how many other football clubs Wasps have done their best to destroy?
Coventry getting booted out Ricoh, off to Burton or Birmingham on 17:16 - Apr 11 with 3398 viewspaulparker

Fcuk Coventry a proper crap hole of a place plus I nearly copped a brick in the head after that eoin Jess loss in 96

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Coventry getting booted out Ricoh, off to Burton or Birmingham on 21:25 - Apr 11 with 3080 viewsBoston

Coventry getting booted out Ricoh, off to Burton or Birmingham on 17:16 - Apr 11 by paulparker

Fcuk Coventry a proper crap hole of a place plus I nearly copped a brick in the head after that eoin Jess loss in 96

They were just trying to build bridges with you Paul.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Coventry getting booted out Ricoh, off to Burton or Birmingham on 22:43 - Apr 11 with 2964 viewsBoston

As mentioned previously...I don't like Coventry, never did, even before I got a hiding up there one year. Their poxy light blue shirts, the whole Ricoh stadium nonsense, the Wasps being involved and just about everything else I've ever read about them has just double downed on my feelings. The National League's too good for them.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Coventry getting booted out Ricoh, off to Burton or Birmingham on 08:16 - Apr 12 with 2757 viewstoboboly

Coventry getting booted out Ricoh, off to Burton or Birmingham on 17:11 - Apr 11 by terryb

You can blame Harvey for many things, but I don't think you can this one.

It appears to me that the EFL are doing their utmost to give Coventry time to find a home for next season as they could have enforced the April 2nd deadline.

Isn't this the case of the landlords, Wasps, not entering into negoiations with their tennants, Coventry City?

I wonder how many other football clubs Wasps have done their best to destroy?

I don't know what the terms are but Coventry had massive issues prior to Wasps turning up so not sure you can blame them.

Also Wasps have bought the stadium? Why didn't Coventry just do that rather than sign up to renting at an extortionate price?

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Coventry getting booted out Ricoh, off to Burton or Birmingham on 13:30 - Apr 12 with 2593 viewsTGRRRSSS

Agree that for once you can't blame Harvey (painful though it is to admit)

This is a classic case of one disastrous decision after another going right back to the sale of HIghfield Road and the move to a ground the club didn't own and had to get a certain figure every season just to break even (attendance wise).

The council and a charity jointly owned it and in the end Wasps made a bid for the ground and bought it.

Sisu (a Fund of some kind) own CCFC and nobody seems to know what their intentions our but surely with FFP to consider and this latest disaster Coventry doing much for years.... unless PSG suddenly buy them or some billionaire country/owner or something.

However much you hate them it must be truly grim being a Coventry fan for the past few years despite the odd promotion and trip to Wembley.
Coventry getting booted out Ricoh, off to Burton or Birmingham on 10:21 - Apr 14 with 2374 viewsTGRRRSSS

Won 5-4 away at Sunderland yesterday though.
Login to get fewer ads

Coventry getting booted out Ricoh, off to Burton or Birmingham on 12:04 - Apr 14 with 2238 viewsstowmarketrange

Coventry getting booted out Ricoh, off to Burton or Birmingham on 10:21 - Apr 14 by TGRRRSSS

Won 5-4 away at Sunderland yesterday though.

I heard on the radio that a few of their dicks were throwing glass bottles and flares onto the Sunderland below them resulting in a few injuries,and big trouble outside after the game.
Every club has idiots,but some have more than others.
Coventry getting booted out Ricoh, off to Burton or Birmingham on 12:22 - Apr 14 with 2208 viewsRangersDave

once stayed for 2 nights in a hotel room at the ground.

I physically had to check out of my room on saturday morning and re-check in after 7pm saturday evening as my bedroom was converted to, and re-converted from a box during the day.

Pile o shyte team and big ol pile o shyte ground!

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024