Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Young Parisians Are So French 18:38 - Apr 15 with 10841 viewsBoston

...sad to say Notre Dame Cathedral is burning in what looks like a very serious fire.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Young Parisians Are So French on 08:55 - Apr 16 with 1555 viewsMetallica_Hoop

A historian mapped out the construction in 3D using infra-red or sound or something (I forget) So it can be re-built.

Such a shame all that history going up in smoke. All those events the place has witnessed.

It makes me want to visit Durham Cathedral again to see the Norman round arches.
I had a wander round York Minster and York (lovely place) last year before getting accosted by a Viking drinking establishment.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Young Parisians Are So French on 09:08 - Apr 16 with 1513 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Young Parisians Are So French on 08:55 - Apr 16 by Metallica_Hoop

A historian mapped out the construction in 3D using infra-red or sound or something (I forget) So it can be re-built.

Such a shame all that history going up in smoke. All those events the place has witnessed.

It makes me want to visit Durham Cathedral again to see the Norman round arches.
I had a wander round York Minster and York (lovely place) last year before getting accosted by a Viking drinking establishment.

I notice Ken Follet was on TV this morning.
His fantastic novel' The Pillars of the Earth' was based on Notre Dame apparently.

Despite the subject matter of a bloke building a cathedral it is a wonderful book.
Young Parisians Are So French on 09:36 - Apr 16 with 1474 viewsMrSheen

Lincoln Cathedral was the tallest building in the world for over 200 years until its spire collapsed in the 16th Century and it was never rebuilt. A writer called Rory Sutherland described asking a group of young people in London how many people how many had visited Lincoln Cathedral. Maybe two. How many had been to Macchu Picchu? Forest of hands.

I work around the corner from St Paul’s and recently slipped out of an all-company briefing to climb up the top of the dome. Wonderful experience to sit in the Whispering Gallery, then climb up between the inner and outer domes to the viewing platform at the top. Support your local Cathedral (while they last).
Young Parisians Are So French on 09:42 - Apr 16 with 1460 viewsNorthernr

Young Parisians Are So French on 09:36 - Apr 16 by MrSheen

Lincoln Cathedral was the tallest building in the world for over 200 years until its spire collapsed in the 16th Century and it was never rebuilt. A writer called Rory Sutherland described asking a group of young people in London how many people how many had visited Lincoln Cathedral. Maybe two. How many had been to Macchu Picchu? Forest of hands.

I work around the corner from St Paul’s and recently slipped out of an all-company briefing to climb up the top of the dome. Wonderful experience to sit in the Whispering Gallery, then climb up between the inner and outer domes to the viewing platform at the top. Support your local Cathedral (while they last).

You can do a roof tour of Lincoln cathedral, both outside round the top, and inside the vaulted ceiling, which is quite spectacular. You can see why they burn when they do burn though, it's all old wood.
Young Parisians Are So French on 09:45 - Apr 16 with 1451 viewsMrSheen

Young Parisians Are So French on 09:42 - Apr 16 by Northernr

You can do a roof tour of Lincoln cathedral, both outside round the top, and inside the vaulted ceiling, which is quite spectacular. You can see why they burn when they do burn though, it's all old wood.

Lincoln also has the honour of being the greatest English building to collapse in an earthquake!
Young Parisians Are So French on 09:46 - Apr 16 with 1444 viewsNorthernr

Young Parisians Are So French on 09:45 - Apr 16 by MrSheen

Lincoln also has the honour of being the greatest English building to collapse in an earthquake!

It's a great city actually, been angling after a cup tie there for ages. Might end up with a league game the way things are going.
Young Parisians Are So French on 10:08 - Apr 16 with 1386 viewsderbyhoop

Young Parisians Are So French on 09:46 - Apr 16 by Northernr

It's a great city actually, been angling after a cup tie there for ages. Might end up with a league game the way things are going.

But it's a bloody difficult climb up that hill.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Young Parisians Are So French on 10:13 - Apr 16 with 1373 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Young Parisians Are So French on 09:08 - Apr 16 by CroydonCaptJack

I notice Ken Follet was on TV this morning.
His fantastic novel' The Pillars of the Earth' was based on Notre Dame apparently.

Despite the subject matter of a bloke building a cathedral it is a wonderful book.

It's a great book.

I walked up the dome of St-Pauls two years ago some fantastic views. the girl I took up there has ashma but she made it and said the views were worth the discomfort. Oddly going down hurt much more!

The boss is off this week so my colleague and I have decided to go to the top of the Monument. Think it's £5 but the views should be great.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Login to get fewer ads

Young Parisians Are So French on 10:41 - Apr 16 with 1327 viewsToast_R

It's always a shame when these things are destroyed. Old wood and fire. There's been a few, Windsor Castle back in the 90s, the Cutty Sark more recently. My Dad before he got too old used to take me and my brother on quite a few tours of London as he worked up there most his working life in the Typewriter repairs trade and had good knowledge of the nooks and crannies getting around - old pubs, haunted churches he'd worked in that kind fo thing. He showed us bits and pieces of the old City that still existed after the Great Fire. One of the bridges I forget which one, you can still see the old Wooden Stakes in the ground.

I was lucky enough to see Notre-Dame on my only trip to Paris with my high school in 94. Ask Flynnbo...
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 10:42]
Young Parisians Are So French on 10:57 - Apr 16 with 1292 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Young Parisians Are So French on 10:41 - Apr 16 by Toast_R

It's always a shame when these things are destroyed. Old wood and fire. There's been a few, Windsor Castle back in the 90s, the Cutty Sark more recently. My Dad before he got too old used to take me and my brother on quite a few tours of London as he worked up there most his working life in the Typewriter repairs trade and had good knowledge of the nooks and crannies getting around - old pubs, haunted churches he'd worked in that kind fo thing. He showed us bits and pieces of the old City that still existed after the Great Fire. One of the bridges I forget which one, you can still see the old Wooden Stakes in the ground.

I was lucky enough to see Notre-Dame on my only trip to Paris with my high school in 94. Ask Flynnbo...
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 10:42]

Yes, I think I saw a programme on that bridge once.
I think wood is pretty good at lasting if it stays under water but starts to deteriorate if exposed to the air. If I have that wrong then I learned nothing from that programme!
Young Parisians Are So French on 11:09 - Apr 16 with 1262 viewsToast_R

Young Parisians Are So French on 10:57 - Apr 16 by CroydonCaptJack

Yes, I think I saw a programme on that bridge once.
I think wood is pretty good at lasting if it stays under water but starts to deteriorate if exposed to the air. If I have that wrong then I learned nothing from that programme!

That makes sense when you consider they re-surfaced the Mary Rose after a few centuries and it had to be kept quarantine for years while is was treated to stop it deteriorating. On my list of things to go and see, if Pompey go up this season and there isn't a mental scramble for tickets again, I will try and make a weekend of it and do the whole lot, Victory/Jutland and Submarine exhibitions.
Young Parisians Are So French on 11:14 - Apr 16 with 1251 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Young Parisians Are So French on 11:09 - Apr 16 by Toast_R

That makes sense when you consider they re-surfaced the Mary Rose after a few centuries and it had to be kept quarantine for years while is was treated to stop it deteriorating. On my list of things to go and see, if Pompey go up this season and there isn't a mental scramble for tickets again, I will try and make a weekend of it and do the whole lot, Victory/Jutland and Submarine exhibitions.

My son is at Uni there now so I have no excuse.
Apparently it is very much worth seeing from people I know who have been.
Young Parisians Are So French on 11:22 - Apr 16 with 1235 viewsSonofNorfolt

Frankly, I couldn't care less.
It's a church, let it burn.
Millions pledged for the restoration of stone, timber and fiction, yet no one gives a sh it about the loss of human life in say, Yemen.
This is the fu cked up part.
Young Parisians Are So French on 11:58 - Apr 16 with 1178 viewsKonk

Young Parisians Are So French on 11:22 - Apr 16 by SonofNorfolt

Millions pledged for the restoration of stone, timber and fiction, yet no one gives a sh it about the loss of human life in say, Yemen.

It's possible to care about both, though, isn't it? I'm an atheist, but churches/abbeys/cathedrals are invariably the grandest or amongst the grandest buildings in European cities, towns and villages. You don't have to be a Christian to love these beautiful old buildings that have witnessed so much of our history. The situation in Yemen breaks my heart, but that doesn't make the fire at Notre Dame any less tragic in its own way.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Young Parisians Are So French on 11:59 - Apr 16 with 1174 viewsessextaxiboy

The UK should offer 39 Million quid as a gesture of goodwill. Take the moral high ground with Macron who last week was dicking us around .
Young Parisians Are So French on 12:01 - Apr 16 with 1171 viewsToast_R

I think you're on to something here.
Ironic this happens in Easter week, didn't Christ allegedly give his life so that others might be saved?
Well then, why not f*ck the building off and all the millions that the EU have asked it's members to pledge in this rebuilding project, be donated to homeless charities across Europe?

The Lord moves in mysterious ways after all.
Young Parisians Are So French on 12:02 - Apr 16 with 1167 viewsSonofNorfolt

Young Parisians Are So French on 11:58 - Apr 16 by Konk

It's possible to care about both, though, isn't it? I'm an atheist, but churches/abbeys/cathedrals are invariably the grandest or amongst the grandest buildings in European cities, towns and villages. You don't have to be a Christian to love these beautiful old buildings that have witnessed so much of our history. The situation in Yemen breaks my heart, but that doesn't make the fire at Notre Dame any less tragic in its own way.

Except that only one gets any sort of publicity.
I would understand it if it were Craven Cottage being burnt to a cinder, at least that has a purpose I can relate to. Albeit in The Championship next season
Young Parisians Are So French on 12:19 - Apr 16 with 1141 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Young Parisians Are So French on 11:58 - Apr 16 by Konk

I get Norfolt's point, but ultimately I agree with Konk more on this.

Caring about human life and art and architecture aren't mutually exclusive. In fact, I think that treasuring the latter leads to us treasuring the former all the more.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Young Parisians Are So French on 12:28 - Apr 16 with 1119 viewsSonofNorfolt

Young Parisians Are So French on 12:19 - Apr 16 by BrianMcCarthy

I get Norfolt's point, but ultimately I agree with Konk more on this.

Caring about human life and art and architecture aren't mutually exclusive. In fact, I think that treasuring the latter leads to us treasuring the former all the more.

Except that, clearly, it doesn't Brian.
Young Parisians Are So French on 12:31 - Apr 16 with 1104 views2Thomas2Bowles

Well, I made an earlier point about the £1 Billion on the spuds stadium, it's their cathedral/synagogue.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 12:31]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Young Parisians Are So French on 12:43 - Apr 16 with 1073 views2Thomas2Bowles

I'm not so sure they should rebuild it.
France is a mostly secular country, they did not care so much to preserve it before or would not be in the state it was.

It's a tourist attraction 13 Million a year visit, maybe Disney should rebuild it and run it.

Young Parisians Are So French on 12:49 - Apr 16 with 1054 viewsR_from_afar

Young Parisians Are So French on 09:42 - Apr 16 by Northernr

Obviously it isn't so easy to go and see but you can do the same with the cathedral in Milan. The statues and other artwork up on the roof are hugely impressive and there is loads of it. It's striking that more or less none of it is visible from street level.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Young Parisians Are So French on 12:54 - Apr 16 with 1050 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Young Parisians Are So French on 12:28 - Apr 16 by SonofNorfolt

Except that, clearly, it doesn't Brian.

Does for me!

And I think it does for many people, Mel. When we're fooled by politicians, rulers and even ourselves into thinking that another People or Race are uncultured, ungodly and/or unworthy then wars can be whipped up.

But travel and the sharing of culture, art, architecture and education makes us all wiser about other Peoples and Races and spreads respect for humanity, making it harder to pit us against each other.

So yes, I would say that for many the treasuring of art and architecture leads to a treasuring of humanity.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Young Parisians Are So French on 13:02 - Apr 16 with 1020 views2Thomas2Bowles

Personally, I prefer the many gothic churches in Antwerp.

Young Parisians Are So French on 13:08 - Apr 16 with 999 viewsSonofNorfolt

Young Parisians Are So French on 12:54 - Apr 16 by BrianMcCarthy

Does for me!

And I think it does for many people, Mel. When we're fooled by politicians, rulers and even ourselves into thinking that another People or Race are uncultured, ungodly and/or unworthy then wars can be whipped up.

But travel and the sharing of culture, art, architecture and education makes us all wiser about other Peoples and Races and spreads respect for humanity, making it harder to pit us against each other.

So yes, I would say that for many the treasuring of art and architecture leads to a treasuring of humanity.

It is similar to Palmyra in Syria.
Archeologists in tears over the destruction by ISIS, but not shedding a tear over the millions dead or displaced in the war that led to it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024