Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Luke Amos from Tottenham 15:15 - Jun 27 with 16117 viewsGloucs_R

On his way to us apparently for a 12-month loan deal. He's a defensive midfielder who was highly rated before getting badly injured and being out for 11 months.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Luke Amos from Tottenham on 12:01 - Jul 1 with 3043 viewsaston_hoop

Official now

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Luke Amos from Tottenham on 12:23 - Jul 1 with 2871 viewsrsonist

New kit looks quite nice on him with the button done up. Scuse Signor Errea.
Luke Amos from Tottenham on 12:24 - Jul 1 with 2862 viewsrsonist

"I have admired him from afar and with Tottenham being my local team, I have seen him many times and watched him work."

Evil Warbs bandwagon starts here.
Luke Amos from Tottenham on 12:27 - Jul 1 with 2829 views08olesen

Can’t comment on the player because I havnt seen him enough, but as others have said, it will be a very young and inexperienced midfield if Freeman and Luongo are off. Jack Colback won’t be playing at Newcastle this year, I think he could do a good job at adding some experience.

Poll: Who will the other play off

Luke Amos from Tottenham on 12:32 - Jul 1 with 2761 viewsrsonist

Luke Amos from Tottenham on 12:27 - Jul 1 by 08olesen

Can’t comment on the player because I havnt seen him enough, but as others have said, it will be a very young and inexperienced midfield if Freeman and Luongo are off. Jack Colback won’t be playing at Newcastle this year, I think he could do a good job at adding some experience.

We can keep bouncing from too old to too young but at the end of the day it'll either click or it won't and age won't be a factor. There's examples for every argument - I'd never have expected Norwich's very young defence to do so well at this level over a whole season for instance.
Luke Amos from Tottenham on 12:35 - Jul 1 with 2726 viewsrsonist

He seems like a good kid from the interview anyway for what it's worth, characterful and articulate.
Luke Amos from Tottenham on 13:10 - Jul 1 with 2568 viewsDavieQPR

Young players looking for experience are cheaper than older players.
Luke Amos from Tottenham on 13:13 - Jul 1 with 2554 viewsbosh67

https://www.qpr.co.uk/videos/interviews/luke-amos-first-interview-as-a-qpr-playe seems like a decent kid. Seems to have been brought in to take over from Luongo if he hits the ground running.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Login to get fewer ads

Luke Amos from Tottenham on 14:06 - Jul 1 with 2307 viewsrsonist

Luke Amos from Tottenham on 13:10 - Jul 1 by DavieQPR

Young players looking for experience are cheaper than older players.

Often about the same in recent years.
Luke Amos from Tottenham on 14:18 - Jul 1 with 2241 viewsGloucs_R

by all accounts this kid would have been on the fringe of Tottenham's first team this season had have not had a bad injury last. Pochettino rates him quite highly. my only concern would be whether he gets injured or not again and also who is it going to keep out of our team.

But I tell you what, Warburton is building a spine

Poll: Are we staying up?

Luke Amos from Tottenham on 14:39 - Jul 1 with 2131 viewsextratimeR

When I saw this I was very surprised, ( I hadn't heard about the injury).

Pre- injury Luke Amos was a bloody amazing midfield player, very surprised he didn't play regularly in the 1st team, ( be it a very very good first team).

He's not really the same as Luongo, yes he is a defensive holding player, but theirs much more to him, he's got a lot of Souness in his game.

I've seen him a few times, a year or so ago, he was so good he dominated games, the only thing that worried me was his tackling, not so much tackles as assault and battery, people tended to lie inert without moving, worrying, but very very good.

Another good signing. Encouraging.
Luke Amos from Tottenham on 14:52 - Jul 1 with 2049 viewsAntti_Heinola

It's also encouraging that Spurs are happy to lend a player to us - they don't do a lot of loans - Poch likes to keep his best young players under his own beady eyes.

Bare bones.

Luke Amos from Tottenham on 14:56 - Jul 1 with 2032 viewsBklynRanger

Luke Amos from Tottenham on 14:52 - Jul 1 by Antti_Heinola

It's also encouraging that Spurs are happy to lend a player to us - they don't do a lot of loans - Poch likes to keep his best young players under his own beady eyes.

Not to sell Warburton (or Ramsey) short but I wonder how much Banfield's presence has had on that decision?
Luke Amos from Tottenham on 16:36 - Jul 1 with 1807 viewsrsonist

Luke Amos from Tottenham on 14:56 - Jul 1 by BklynRanger

Not to sell Warburton (or Ramsey) short but I wonder how much Banfield's presence has had on that decision?

Why him in particular...? They all have a similar background in youth development as you suggest.

Just a simple combination of people that (presumably) already know him well, local proximity, and above all some commitment to giving him regular football in a desirable style.

The bigger Spurs get and the more £65m midfielders they sign the more for us down the line.
Luke Amos from Tottenham on 17:13 - Jul 1 with 1708 viewsstainrods_elbow

Luke Amos from Tottenham on 10:56 - Jun 28 by smegma

In one !!!!

More power to your 'irregular' Celtic/Stainrodian elbow, sir - us elbows need to stick together! (It's when strange people call me 'strange' - and, just lately, a laughing stock' - I know I'm at least standing up for my own values, passion and idiosyncracies, however apparently arcane, and doing something right.)

The self-defeating musical chairs charade of 'playing the loans' market' rarely seems to work out for perenially undercharging, over-paying QPR - off the top of my head, I'll raise you (in no particular order) the goalless, feckless and pointless catalogue of calamities that were Messrs Keane, Macheda, Malcolm, Bent, Assou-Ekotto (talented, but a self-evident c*nt), Angella, Kranjcar, Doyle, Maiga, and Hemed. Stick our dear departed Mr Ingram behind that little lot and you'd be playing in the Isthmian League faster than you could say 'Where's 'Arry?'!

'We are QPR' can have a bit of a hollow ring these days, sadly.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Luke Amos from Tottenham on 17:18 - Jul 1 with 1693 viewsAntti_Heinola

Luke Amos from Tottenham on 17:13 - Jul 1 by stainrods_elbow

More power to your 'irregular' Celtic/Stainrodian elbow, sir - us elbows need to stick together! (It's when strange people call me 'strange' - and, just lately, a laughing stock' - I know I'm at least standing up for my own values, passion and idiosyncracies, however apparently arcane, and doing something right.)

The self-defeating musical chairs charade of 'playing the loans' market' rarely seems to work out for perenially undercharging, over-paying QPR - off the top of my head, I'll raise you (in no particular order) the goalless, feckless and pointless catalogue of calamities that were Messrs Keane, Macheda, Malcolm, Bent, Assou-Ekotto (talented, but a self-evident c*nt), Angella, Kranjcar, Doyle, Maiga, and Hemed. Stick our dear departed Mr Ingram behind that little lot and you'd be playing in the Isthmian League faster than you could say 'Where's 'Arry?'!

I love the last line of this. Poignant.

Bare bones.

Luke Amos from Tottenham on 17:18 - Jul 1 with 1690 viewsNorthernr

Not mad on loans either but trying to replace Luongo and Freeman with no money to spend on a transfer fee, while cutting the wage bill significantly again, and while remaining semi-competitive at this level does have to bring this sort of loan into play as an option.

Somebody who can do what Freeman did for us, is available on a free transfer, is looking for a wage roughly half what Freeman got, and hasn't been picked up by anybody else... that's quite the unicorn hunt.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Luke Amos from Tottenham on 17:41 - Jul 1 with 1607 viewsqprd

Luke Amos from Tottenham on 17:13 - Jul 1 by stainrods_elbow

yes, another manager, another new strategy. this one is equally short-term. so much for a director of football providing a long term strategy

what concerns me most is the age of our squad. in the last few months, we'll have lost: rangel, cameron, bidwell, lynch, prob freeman, prob luongo, cousins, nakhi wells, wzolek and baptiste... thats a lot of experience between them

we've replaced them with barbet, wallace and a bunch of kids. who are our experienced lads?

next year may get ugly. do we really think we're going to get by without a few experienced heads who can steady the ship when the times get bad? leistner had issues last year, and who knows on barbet? wallace may provide some of that, but lets see if he can stay on the pitch. scowen is pretty rash/doesnt strike me as the type. furlong and manning are experienced players in this squad, but both are hardly established in this division

this squad is crying out for a player like gary oneill, rangel, onohua, mackie, clint hill who can bring a bit of professionalism to the squad
[Post edited 1 Jul 2019 17:43]
Luke Amos from Tottenham on 17:48 - Jul 1 with 1587 viewsNorthernr

Luke Amos from Tottenham on 17:41 - Jul 1 by qprd

yes, another manager, another new strategy. this one is equally short-term. so much for a director of football providing a long term strategy

what concerns me most is the age of our squad. in the last few months, we'll have lost: rangel, cameron, bidwell, lynch, prob freeman, prob luongo, cousins, nakhi wells, wzolek and baptiste... thats a lot of experience between them

we've replaced them with barbet, wallace and a bunch of kids. who are our experienced lads?

next year may get ugly. do we really think we're going to get by without a few experienced heads who can steady the ship when the times get bad? leistner had issues last year, and who knows on barbet? wallace may provide some of that, but lets see if he can stay on the pitch. scowen is pretty rash/doesnt strike me as the type. furlong and manning are experienced players in this squad, but both are hardly established in this division

this squad is crying out for a player like gary oneill, rangel, onohua, mackie, clint hill who can bring a bit of professionalism to the squad

Agree with the "another new manager, another new strategy" thing. Mental that we're still doing it like that. Does call into question the point of the DOF.

However, on the experience thing. we had... angel, cameron, bidwell, lynch, prob freeman, prob luongo, cousins, nakhi wells, wzolek and baptiste ... last year and we were crap.
Luke Amos from Tottenham on 18:05 - Jul 1 with 1529 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Luke Amos from Tottenham on 17:48 - Jul 1 by Northernr

Agree with the "another new manager, another new strategy" thing. Mental that we're still doing it like that. Does call into question the point of the DOF.

However, on the experience thing. we had... angel, cameron, bidwell, lynch, prob freeman, prob luongo, cousins, nakhi wells, wzolek and baptiste ... last year and we were crap.

Exactly.

We arn't exactly pulling up trees with established names. Give the Yoot a go.
Luke Amos from Tottenham on 18:07 - Jul 1 with 1522 viewsMatch82

Wallace fits that criteria
Luke Amos from Tottenham on 18:36 - Jul 1 with 1432 viewsPinnerPaul

Now for the difficult bit.... a couple of forwards who can score
Luke Amos from Tottenham on 19:14 - Jul 1 with 1366 viewsAntti_Heinola

Agree with parts of this - good post.

Not all, though. This strategy is not a million miles from Holloway's strategy, or JFH's strategy - it's more of a resetting than a big change IMO. Mistakes made last summer - get back to the plan. Fine.

I think fans have got very down on loans because of some poor experiences, and I can understand that. But you can't just write loan signings off completely. They can be very useful for helping add that bit of extra quality to a squad - see Walker and Taarabt as great examples of this. Even, lest we forget, Danny freaking Shittu. Used wisely, they can work extremely well - they might turn into signings, or if not, but they go back to their clubs and do well, then the likes of City and Spurs might lend us others too. I know as purists we have to hate this modern football nightmare of young loans - but it dragged Derby to a play off final. They may or may not be good signings. I tell you one thing - out of the 5 in so far, not all of them will be successes. Even Warnock spent a bundle on Rob Hulse.

That shouldn't preclude us from loans in the future, or buying from Scotland. You can't be that sweeping, it's self-defeating.

I do agree we lack older heads, although we have two very confident keepers, we have two very experienced centre backs - arguably three with Hall these days (IHSF*), Furlong has now had plenty of games, Wallace is a veteran, Scowen is experienced. It's not like we're sending out a bunch of 18 year olds.

Totally agree more experience needed. But there's still a month to go.

And next year will almost definitely get ugly. I can't believe anyone seriously thinks otherwise. We scraped by last season, and we're likely losing our best two players.

*If He Stays Fit

Bare bones.

Luke Amos from Tottenham on 19:50 - Jul 1 with 1258 viewsRussian__Bot

Luke Amos from Tottenham on 18:05 - Jul 1 by BazzaInTheLoft

Exactly.

We arn't exactly pulling up trees with established names. Give the Yoot a go.

Agree. Look at Ajax. 6 people in their first 11 under age of less than 22 last year. A squad with average age of 24. Dragged up by experienced heads like Tadic (30) isn’t saying much

Also these youngsters are better able to go Sat-Tues-Sat then old players are. So I think young squads suit the Championship. Wallace, Hall, Leistner that’s our experience
[Post edited 1 Jul 2019 19:51]
Luke Amos from Tottenham on 20:28 - Jul 1 with 1178 viewsBklynRanger

Luke Amos from Tottenham on 16:36 - Jul 1 by rsonist

Why him in particular...? They all have a similar background in youth development as you suggest.

Just a simple combination of people that (presumably) already know him well, local proximity, and above all some commitment to giving him regular football in a desirable style.

The bigger Spurs get and the more £65m midfielders they sign the more for us down the line.

Yeah I wouldn't really disagree with any of that. I just wonder if the presence of Banfield makes the difference in situation where clubs or players aren't quite sure - been a while since we got in two promising kids like these. All frivolous speculation obviously :)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024