Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our Most Bizarre Away Game 17:05 - Sep 11 with 3325 viewsOakfarm_Boy

It took place during the 1970's,a midweek night game in the Midlands. Around 200 plus R,s fans made the trip.I was in a small convoy from the Hayes/ Hillingdon area .Does anyone- else have memories of that match? No prizes for guessing which match . Bizarre because RANGERS were not playing !!
Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 17:35 - Sep 11 with 3242 viewsenfieldargh

I was in a Chinese restaurant in Bushy that night

Frigging David fairclough

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 17:38 - Sep 11 with 3239 viewsqpr_1968

didn't go that night, apparently the ground was 3/4 scousers...is that right?

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 18:26 - Sep 11 with 3165 viewsDannyPaddox

Jesus Christ isn’t it a 9/11 anniversary bad enough without bringing this up.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2019 13:38]
Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 18:42 - Sep 11 with 3138 viewsBoston

I was there. Scousers totally filled North Bank, had a lot on the side terrace and some in the South Bank, though I was at the back so wasn’t sure who was down the front.
[Post edited 11 Sep 2019 18:45]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 13:32 - Sep 12 with 2705 viewsBostonR

Crazy game - would never happen now. We lost the title with our 0-0 draw at Sheffield Utd. How we did not win that match 5-0 is beyond me.
Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 15:31 - Sep 12 with 2590 viewskensalriser

a dot org classic:

Wolvercu.ntinghampton B astardarsecockwanderers

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 15:32 - Sep 12 with 2588 viewsMick_S

Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 15:31 - Sep 12 by kensalriser

a dot org classic:

Wolvercu.ntinghampton B astardarsecockwanderers

That was Don - I liked him.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 15:45 - Sep 12 with 2559 viewsqpr_1968

Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 13:32 - Sep 12 by BostonR

Crazy game - would never happen now. We lost the title with our 0-0 draw at Sheffield Utd. How we did not win that match 5-0 is beyond me.

spot on, ive always said it was the Sheffield united away game that cost us, not the Norwich game.
mayhem after the game at Sheffield as well, come at us from all directions, bricks the lot.
went by train, came back in an open top furniture lorry.....good old days.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Login to get fewer ads

Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 15:51 - Sep 12 with 2546 viewsCamberleyR

Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 13:32 - Sep 12 by BostonR

With goal average (i.e. goals scored divided by goals conceded for younger readers) still a decider that season (goal difference came in the following season) with what subsequently happened at Norwich, we'd have had to have won at least 4-0 there anyway to have finished with a better GA than Liverpool.

A goalless draw at Norwich would have also seen us champions.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 15:56 - Sep 12 with 2532 viewsqprxtc

Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 15:45 - Sep 12 by qpr_1968

spot on, ive always said it was the Sheffield united away game that cost us, not the Norwich game.
mayhem after the game at Sheffield as well, come at us from all directions, bricks the lot.

Nah.

What did it for us was bringing forward our last game of the season (West Ham away) to the blank FACup 4tg round day.

Our reasoning being that while all the others were in the cup we could steal a march on them by beating the Irons.

We lost.

Had we kept the game where it was (the Monday after Leeds) as originally planned we could have won the league there. Norwich, Sheff U and Wolves wouldn’t have been an issue.

Of course we should have just beaten any other git we lost too and that would have done the trick too.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2019 16:07]
Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 16:08 - Sep 12 with 2505 viewsWatford_Ranger

Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 15:51 - Sep 12 by CamberleyR

With goal average (i.e. goals scored divided by goals conceded for younger readers) still a decider that season (goal difference came in the following season) with what subsequently happened at Norwich, we'd have had to have won at least 4-0 there anyway to have finished with a better GA than Liverpool.

A goalless draw at Norwich would have also seen us champions.

As a younger reader, goal average seems a mental concept, favouring teams that grind out 1-0s over 4-3s. Who sat there at the FA in 1892 or whenever and chose division over subtraction?
Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 16:10 - Sep 12 with 2499 viewsCamberleyR

2 away points from 6 against the relegated three and just 3 points from 12 and no wins from the bottom 6 teams away from home was what cost us.

But the inescapable fact is that losing at Norwich that day put the title back in Liverpool's hands and out of ours.

Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 16:16 - Sep 12 with 2490 viewsBoston

Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 15:32 - Sep 12 by Mick_S

That was Don - I liked him.

‘His Worship’ Don. Disappeared, or just on another board?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 17:21 - Sep 12 with 2415 viewsBostonR

Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 15:45 - Sep 12 by qpr_1968

Agree - not very friendly after the game or during it, but Rs away support during that season was incredible. I was at the Norwich game and have always said at least 15,000 Rs fans were at that game.
Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 18:07 - Sep 12 with 2357 viewskingo

Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 17:21 - Sep 12 by BostonR

Agree - not very friendly after the game or during it, but Rs away support during that season was incredible. I was at the Norwich game and have always said at least 15,000 Rs fans were at that game.

Two specials out of Wembley. I will never forget the scenes at the end with 1000s of Rangers sitting on the grass bank down from the away terrace, heads in hands.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 21:45 - Sep 12 with 2144 viewsPommyhoop

Me and the Old Man were around our 'His master's voice' record player that had a wireless built-in.
Bastard supersub made me see actual tears on my Dad for the first and only time.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 23:46 - Sep 12 with 2040 viewswortonranger

Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 16:16 - Sep 12 by Boston

‘His Worship’ Don. Disappeared, or just on another board?

Don’s still around - he lives near me and posts on Facebook - not so much on football though. Still very much an R, but doesn’t need to be worshipped having finished his mayoring.
Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 09:41 - Sep 13 with 1861 viewsCamberleyR

Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 16:08 - Sep 12 by Watford_Ranger

As a younger reader, goal average seems a mental concept, favouring teams that grind out 1-0s over 4-3s. Who sat there at the FA in 1892 or whenever and chose division over subtraction?

Completely agree. It favoured teams that didn't concede rather than rewarding teams that entertained and scored goals and was way, way overdue in being replaced by GD when it happened.

Probably one of the most stark examples of GA being a complete nonsense was in the 1964/65 season in Scottish Division One (then the top division) when Kilmarnock won the league pipping Hearts on GA by having a final record of F 62 A 33 against Hearts' F 90 A 49

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964%E2%80%9365_Scottish_Division_One

Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 10:05 - Sep 13 with 1827 viewsMick_S

Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 23:46 - Sep 12 by wortonranger

Don’s still around - he lives near me and posts on Facebook - not so much on football though. Still very much an R, but doesn’t need to be worshipped having finished his mayoring.

Don once chided me for mistakenly referring to a Greggs steak bake as a steak slice. I had to accept that one - harsh but fair.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 10:31 - Sep 13 with 1803 viewsloftus77

Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 09:41 - Sep 13 by CamberleyR

Completely agree. It favoured teams that didn't concede rather than rewarding teams that entertained and scored goals and was way, way overdue in being replaced by GD when it happened.

Probably one of the most stark examples of GA being a complete nonsense was in the 1964/65 season in Scottish Division One (then the top division) when Kilmarnock won the league pipping Hearts on GA by having a final record of F 62 A 33 against Hearts' F 90 A 49

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964%E2%80%9365_Scottish_Division_One

Yes - and the irony, of course, was that Hearts lobbied hardest to have GA rightly changed to goal difference.

Then came 1985-86....when they lost out to Celtic so cruelly on goal difference. Had GA been the rule in 86, Hearts would have been champions.
Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 10:48 - Sep 13 with 1775 viewsstevec

Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 15:56 - Sep 12 by qprxtc

Nah.

What did it for us was bringing forward our last game of the season (West Ham away) to the blank FACup 4tg round day.

Our reasoning being that while all the others were in the cup we could steal a march on them by beating the Irons.

We lost.

Had we kept the game where it was (the Monday after Leeds) as originally planned we could have won the league there. Norwich, Sheff U and Wolves wouldn’t have been an issue.

Of course we should have just beaten any other git we lost too and that would have done the trick too.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2019 16:07]

Never understood the logic of bringing games forward, January everyone has got something to play for, last game of the season only a handful of clubs.

West Ham with nothing to play for and the choice of us or Liverpool winning the League you can't help thinking we'd have had a virtual walkover like the 6-0 Palace game.
Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 03:38 - Sep 14 with 1546 viewsSonofNorfolt

The worst birthday present I've ever had, for about 77 minutes the best one.
Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 06:51 - Sep 14 with 1511 viewskingshill

Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 10:48 - Sep 13 by stevec

Never understood the logic of bringing games forward, January everyone has got something to play for, last game of the season only a handful of clubs.

West Ham with nothing to play for and the choice of us or Liverpool winning the League you can't help thinking we'd have had a virtual walkover like the 6-0 Palace game.

And West Ham would have had a Cup Winners Cup final to worry about so we could have had a real go at them
Our Most Bizarre Away Game on 10:25 - Sep 14 with 1420 viewsDannyPaddox

Gawd blimey. Strewth. Stone the crows. After all these years I never realised the West Ham game was originally scheduled to be the season finisher.

I was a bit young then for away games but everyone I’ve spoke to who did says in retrospect it was the 0-0 at Sheffield Utd that did us. They were the bottom of the league whipping boys. Masson hit the post and had another chance late on after a one-two with Stanley put him through.

But receiving this fresh Wet Spam information has reopened a wound that I thought after 43 years had finally healed. I believe it was the only Division One game played that day. I can remember where I was when I found out almost every every result that season. Visiting cousins in Cambridgeshire. Weather sunny. That scruffy herbert Alan Taylor who got the Cup Final goals the previous summer scored the only goal of the game. I remember at the time thinking (re: the Rs score) that’s a bit snidey. If was often said West Ham were like the decorations - they went down after Christmas. Check their run of league form for the second half of the 75/76 season:

L L D L W L D L L D L L D L L L D L D L L

One fcuking win! Against us.

Here it is illustrated in graph form (Courtesy of a Wet Spam nerd-site)

We would have played them on the Monday (Evening game? Early bank holiday KO? I dunno) Their form and our form speaks for itself. Being bottom five but statistically safe from the drop they had nothing to play for. As mentioned they had a European Cup Winners Cup Final v Anderlecht the following week. If they would've tried to play football we would have played them off the park though I suspect they would’ve rolled over like the proverbial barrel they often warble about. My Uncle living in East Ham would’ve taken me to the game. QPR would’ve won the league and I would’ve been there. We would've been crowned Champions of England - at Upton Park. I would’ve stayed over at my aunties - always a treat. Probably skived the next day off school. QPR would’ve won the easy-peasy European Cup the next season and go on to dominate domestic and continental football for decades to come. I would’ve grown up a more balanced productive individual and probably contributed more to society in general.

Only a severe thrashing of Loo-Town today can temporarily assuage this eternal gnawing deep existential malaise. But I’ll take a 1-0.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2019 10:47]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024