Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bus stop in Hounslow 18:58 - Jan 11 with 20501 viewskingo

The soppy TW ats seem to think it is something to be proud of.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Bus stop in Hounslow on 17:58 - Jan 12 with 2510 viewsParkRoyalR

Bus stop in Hounslow on 17:29 - Jan 12 by NewBee

Liverpool or Man U? Do the rules of this forum permit swearing?

But yeah, the first place I lived in London was actually by Olympia, so I did pop down to QPR to marvel at the mighty exploits of Big Mac on occasion.

Ian Stewart was another favourite.

Didn't turn me into a QPR fan though.

If the first ground you went to in London was Loftus Road, and Alan McDonald and Ian Stewart did'nt turn you into an R's fan, I'd say you most definitely had another English club!

I respect true Bees supporting lads I know as they appreciate what its like to support their local club through thick and thin, mostly thin for both our clubs, Brentford more than Rangers in last 50 years.

I struggle with the 'half & halves' who pop down to Griffin Park with the vigour of a born-again as they always have their first team to go back to, when the good times disappear. No amount of reading up on your new clubs history is akin to being there and living through it.
Bus stop in Hounslow on 19:28 - Jan 12 with 2358 viewssmegma

Bus stop in Hounslow on 16:39 - Jan 12 by NewBee

A club called Glentoran FC.

Ever heard of them?

It's Finney !!!!!!
Bus stop in Hounslow on 19:38 - Jan 12 with 2336 viewssmegma

Bus stop in Hounslow on 15:08 - Jan 12 by NewBee

Which only goes to prove my point, which is that genuine local rivalries derive from proximity, not the geography of local government, or cyclical variations in playing success - see West Ham and Millwall, for instance, or moving further afield, Portsmouth and Southampton.

In fact the one exception I can think of is the relatively recent "M23 Derby" between Palace and Brighton. But I suspect that that will decline should they ever spend a prolonged period in separate divisions and Charlton revert to the same level as Palace.

Recent M23 Derby between Palace and Brighton?

I think I the rivalry precedes the the m23s existence. In the mid 70s Venables was Palace manager and Alan Mullery was Brighton boss. They never got on since their days at Spurs a decade previously. Mullery captained England and Venables held a grudge for years. In a cup game it all went off with a Palace fan throwing a hot drink over Mullery in the tunnel, fights broke out in the ground and on the pitch THUS a rivalry was born. And 44 years is not recent. Brentford have only been on our radar for the last 19 or so years.
Bus stop in Hounslow on 19:59 - Jan 12 with 2297 viewsdistortR

Bus stop in Hounslow on 15:24 - Jan 12 by kingo

The original post was about Brentford singing that they were Just a Bus stop in Hounslow, that I though was a bit strange. However, as threads tend to do, it went on to the petty issues that BFC as a club had orchestrated agianst us and then on to Peter Gilham, as I said a man I have no time for but who has used his position to promote hate towrds my club. No the Ray Jones chant wasn't mentioned in the OP but it shows how far Gilham has poisioned them against QPR. I am sorry about aiming my annoyance at Cider but I had had a few and had been advised of the Ray Jones chants by someone in Roddys.

no problem mate, cheers for clearing that up.
Bus stop in Hounslow on 20:00 - Jan 12 with 2296 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Bus stop in Hounslow on 17:22 - Jan 12 by NewBee

The height of our clubs/owners ambition is to get to the PL and stay there.

Quite clearly that was never an option while remaining at GP (lack of facilities and decrepitude as much as actual capacity).

There were only two alternatives. The first was move outside our traditional catchment eg to some soulless retail estate in Hayes, to take advantage of cheap land and allow for a large capacity. But even if our owner was prepared to countenance that (not in a million years), we would have struggled even to quarter-fill a 30k capacity, at least if we got relegated again (see eg Reading/Majewski).

Therefore he chose Option 2, which was to stay in the area, even if it meant paying top dollar for a site and accepting a reduced capacity.
Of course, a 17.5k capacity will put us at a significant disadvantage to almost all of the other PL clubs, but right now we are at a huge disadvantage to virtually all of the other Championship clubs revenue-wise anyways.

Yet by dint of sound leadership, organisation and management etc applied with a view to the medium to long term, we have consistently proven our ability to punch above our weight at this level, all the while staying within the Rules. It is to be hoped that those qualities will enable us to do the same in the Prem (see eg Brighton/Amex).

As for the capacity, it was due to be 20k, until the figures suggested that taking out some of that maximum capacity to increase the "premium" seating/facilities instead would actually produce a net revenue increase - not ideal, but there you go.

And this is at least partly mitigated by attracting London Irish RFC as tenants, plus designing some of the seating to be converted to "safe-standing" if/when the law is changed to permit that. Plus it will be easier to sell 17.5k tickets than 20k (obv), so maybe that will allay your concerns on that front?

As for the cyclical nature of football, before Benham, we were yo-yoing between Lge I and Lge 2. And such was the state of GP, the only way that was going to change was the very real prospect of a drop into non-League, from which we would possibly never have escaped.

Ten years later, we are an established Championship club, where we might struggle to avoid relegation in a bad year, whilst hoping for promotion in a good one.

Looking to the future, I imagine Benham's dream is somehow to get into the PL and hang on in there long enough eventually to become established at that level. If he did, then he would only be returning the club to its glory days in the 30's, when Bees were in the top flight, even finishing as London's top club one season!

Of course that is hugely ambitious and to any neutral observer must appear long odds-against. But it should not be overlooked that at he's already been hugely successful in another field, is completely committed to doing the same at BFC, and at 52, still has the time, the energy and the wealth to give it a crack.

I personally wouldn't bet against him.

So it's basically going to be 'boutique' football done properly.

Good luck. I was really impressed yesterday and in the game at Loftus Rd. I'd say you're up there with the some of the best teams I've seen at this level. Brighton etc. Premier League is a whole different prospect but you're probably as well equipped as anyone to compete there.

Don't get me wrong. I'm QPR through and through and I'm sick to the tooth losing against Brentford. I long for the day that you go through what I and all QPR fans witnessed yesterday but credit where credit is due.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Bus stop in Hounslow on 21:24 - Jan 12 with 2190 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Bus stop in Hounslow on 15:24 - Jan 12 by NewBee

When talking about rivals in football, we are really talking about local rivalries.

Which go all the way back to the days when supporters invariably used to grow up supporting the club nearest to where they lived and worked, walking, cycling or getting the bus/tram to watch them play.

Those most desperate to get their football fix in those pre-TV days sometimes even went along to games at their next nearest club (i.e. rivals) when their own club was playing away.

So unless one of out two clubs "does a Wimbledon" and moves elsewhere, then we will continue to be stuck with each other as local rivals, for better or for worse.

On which latter point, seeing as we're staying in Brentford even after they've demolished GP, any idea where QPR will end up after LR falls down?

NewBee, the key to the art of debate is to understand that if your argument is wholly flawed from the beginning, nothing you say thereafter can rescue it. Being wrong and strong simply won't cut it with me.

You started by saying that Chelsea and Fulham's rivalry stems from being in the same borough but despite moving to W5 in the early 1980s it's somehow escaped your attention that QPR are also in the London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham. One can draw 3 conclusions from this. Firstly, by your logic as QPR reside in the same borough as Chelsea and Fulham, it has a rivalry with these 2 teams. Second, as you haven't got to grips with QPR's geography in nearly 40 years of living in the neighbourhood you are in no position to make any argument based on geography. Finally, as you moved to W5 yet decided to go to GP instead of LR you're clearly not sound of mind.

For the umpteenth time, there is no rivalry with Brentford and we're simply not interested in having one. As Brentford fans find this particularly difficult to comprehend we've simplified the point for you with the song "You're just a bus stop in Hounslow".
Bus stop in Hounslow on 08:07 - Jan 13 with 2024 viewsRs_Holy

We could conceivably lose Brentford (automatic) and Fulham (playoffs) from the Championship this year. In some ways it’s a real shame because on paper the Championship with all 3 of us in it is a great prospect. But in all honesty, I’m really, really tired of getting humiliated on a regular basis.
We’ve had to eat an awful lot of humble pie in recent years … and we’re still being served a sizable portion from both.
Also if it’s a choice between Brentford or Leeds going up it’s the Bee’s every time for me.
Bus stop in Hounslow on 08:20 - Jan 13 with 1999 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Bus stop in Hounslow on 08:07 - Jan 13 by Rs_Holy

We could conceivably lose Brentford (automatic) and Fulham (playoffs) from the Championship this year. In some ways it’s a real shame because on paper the Championship with all 3 of us in it is a great prospect. But in all honesty, I’m really, really tired of getting humiliated on a regular basis.
We’ve had to eat an awful lot of humble pie in recent years … and we’re still being served a sizable portion from both.
Also if it’s a choice between Brentford or Leeds going up it’s the Bee’s every time for me.

I don't agree. Well, I agree with being sick of the humiliation but I want them both to lose in the playoffs to give us a chance to have another go at them both. Remember how good it felt beating Fulham when they missed two pens and the 3-2 home victory against the Bees?
Well I don't as I somehow managed to miss both of those due to a wedding and a holiday.

I need to experience that feeling!
Login to get fewer ads

Bus stop in Hounslow on 08:23 - Jan 13 with 1994 viewsjoe90

Brentford fans are chasing this rivalry like Pepe Le Pew.

I appreciate they need a rivalry to validate themselves or to cultivate some sort of identity, but they need to look else where.

We don't have the history and geography isn't enough.
Bus stop in Hounslow on 08:24 - Jan 13 with 1993 viewsStanFan

Going back to the original post, fair play to the Brentford fans for owning something that was originally a taunt. That is part of the humour that makes football banter so good (sometimes).
Other than that, this is a strange thread. Like many on here I don't hate Brentford. In fact I admire what they are doing and really hope that we can do something similar. I'd far rather see Brentford succeed than teams like Derby, Villa, BIrmingham & Sheff Wed who are breaking or a least bending the rules.
I also like the fact that we have one or two Fulham and Brentford fans on here provided that they come in peace.
Bus stop in Hounslow on 09:36 - Jan 13 with 1931 viewsBlackCrowe

Bus stop in Hounslow on 08:24 - Jan 13 by StanFan

Going back to the original post, fair play to the Brentford fans for owning something that was originally a taunt. That is part of the humour that makes football banter so good (sometimes).
Other than that, this is a strange thread. Like many on here I don't hate Brentford. In fact I admire what they are doing and really hope that we can do something similar. I'd far rather see Brentford succeed than teams like Derby, Villa, BIrmingham & Sheff Wed who are breaking or a least bending the rules.
I also like the fact that we have one or two Fulham and Brentford fans on here provided that they come in peace.

This. I don't hate Brentford, i even quite like them. They're not rivals, arch or otherwise, other than we want to win league points off each other when we play, which we're not very good at.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Bus stop in Hounslow on 09:47 - Jan 13 with 1922 viewsswitchingcode

Bus stop in Hounslow on 09:36 - Jan 13 by BlackCrowe

This. I don't hate Brentford, i even quite like them. They're not rivals, arch or otherwise, other than we want to win league points off each other when we play, which we're not very good at.

Agree I was in the Beehive after the game and there was more Rangers than home fans in there and there wasn’t a hint of any problems.Would add I have it on good authority a handful of our fans were actually singing along the road that disgusting song about the boxer who died utter scum who I know all of our proper fans would say the same.
Bus stop in Hounslow on 10:01 - Jan 13 with 1900 viewskingo

Bus stop in Hounslow on 08:24 - Jan 13 by StanFan

I get that teams sometimes own jibes, such as Spurs with Yiddos and WHU with Chim Chimmery, but don’t really get the owning of the Bus Stop. As I have previously said, I used to go down to Griffin Park in the 70s and 80s and their was no rivalry or bad words. The hatred that exists from Brentford stems from Gilham. I have personally been told by a young Brentford fan that QPR tried to put them out of existence and that is why they hate us. Also as previously stated, Gilham has used his position to promote this by glossing over the facts. I note that both the Brentford fans don’t have an answer to the actual facts as stated by Denis Signy, who was actually involved. Yes Brentford have done very well financially in recent times and we haven’t. But the things done in the program, announcements and on the tickets were petty and small time. The Ray Jones chant, by some of them is plain sick. Rant over. I will just reminisce on the great days I have witnessed in the top division and our exploits in Europe.

Bus stop in Hounslow on 10:06 - Jan 13 with 1890 viewsdaveB

Bus stop in Hounslow on 19:46 - Jan 11 by PunteR

2 bob club. I wasnt there today but any truth in the fact you intentionally didn't spell Queens Park Rangers correct on the ticket plus didnt announce our goal scorer(Wells) as well as calling us "that other team from west london" in program and twitter etc? .

It was all so petty, to spell our name wrong and not announce the goalscorer, just so small time, at least have a bit of class. Even proper derbies where the two clubs hate each other they at least show each other some respect.

When old Peter Golum wrote to the FA about QPR fans celebrating in front of away end 16 years ago, he didn't have same complaints when Brentford players have done the same to us and he was quite happy to wave and give it large at the end on Saturday as well.

It really is a one sided rivalry built on petty nonsense
Bus stop in Hounslow (n/t) on 10:42 - Jan 13 with 1828 viewsMick_S

Bus stop in Hounslow on 10:06 - Jan 13 by daveB

It was all so petty, to spell our name wrong and not announce the goalscorer, just so small time, at least have a bit of class. Even proper derbies where the two clubs hate each other they at least show each other some respect.

When old Peter Golum wrote to the FA about QPR fans celebrating in front of away end 16 years ago, he didn't have same complaints when Brentford players have done the same to us and he was quite happy to wave and give it large at the end on Saturday as well.

It really is a one sided rivalry built on petty nonsense

[Post edited 13 Jan 2020 11:24]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Bus stop in Hounslow on 10:49 - Jan 13 with 1803 viewskingo

Bus stop in Hounslow (n/t) on 10:42 - Jan 13 by Mick_S

[Post edited 13 Jan 2020 11:24]

I wonder how much that cost him ?

Bus stop in Hounslow on 11:21 - Jan 13 with 1760 viewsswitchingcode

Bus stop in Hounslow on 10:49 - Jan 13 by kingo

I wonder how much that cost him ?

That was paid for by fans after he was diagnosed with cancer in a way of support
Bus stop in Hounslow on 11:24 - Jan 13 with 1747 viewsMick_S

Bus stop in Hounslow on 11:21 - Jan 13 by switchingcode

That was paid for by fans after he was diagnosed with cancer in a way of support

I obviously didn't know that SC - apologies.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2020 11:48]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Bus stop in Hounslow on 11:29 - Jan 13 with 1732 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Bus stop in Hounslow on 11:21 - Jan 13 by switchingcode

Is he still ill?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Bus stop in Hounslow on 12:12 - Jan 13 with 1673 viewsswitchingcode

Bus stop in Hounslow on 11:29 - Jan 13 by BrianMcCarthy

Is he still ill?

I believe he got the all clear a while back.
Bus stop in Hounslow on 12:14 - Jan 13 with 1664 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Bus stop in Hounslow on 12:12 - Jan 13 by switchingcode

I believe he got the all clear a while back.

Good. He sounds like he hasn't got an ounce of dignity or cop-on about him, but naturally I'm glad he's well again.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Bus stop in Hounslow on 12:14 - Jan 13 with 1658 viewsswitchingcode

Bus stop in Hounslow on 11:24 - Jan 13 by Mick_S

I obviously didn't know that SC - apologies.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2020 11:48]

I didn’t believe you did just thought I’d put people straight before some might embarrass themselves.No probs you weren’t to know
Bus stop in Hounslow on 12:37 - Jan 13 with 1615 viewsNewBee

Bus stop in Hounslow on 21:24 - Jan 12 by Benny_the_Ball

NewBee, the key to the art of debate is to understand that if your argument is wholly flawed from the beginning, nothing you say thereafter can rescue it. Being wrong and strong simply won't cut it with me.

You started by saying that Chelsea and Fulham's rivalry stems from being in the same borough but despite moving to W5 in the early 1980s it's somehow escaped your attention that QPR are also in the London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham. One can draw 3 conclusions from this. Firstly, by your logic as QPR reside in the same borough as Chelsea and Fulham, it has a rivalry with these 2 teams. Second, as you haven't got to grips with QPR's geography in nearly 40 years of living in the neighbourhood you are in no position to make any argument based on geography. Finally, as you moved to W5 yet decided to go to GP instead of LR you're clearly not sound of mind.

For the umpteenth time, there is no rivalry with Brentford and we're simply not interested in having one. As Brentford fans find this particularly difficult to comprehend we've simplified the point for you with the song "You're just a bus stop in Hounslow".

My point about "Chelsea FC" not even being in Chelsea (borough or neighbourhood) was merely to demonstrate the false, arriviste snobbery surrounding that club - a bit like eg Arsenal originally dubbing themselves a Woolwich club when it seems their origins were actually in more down-market Plumstead.

Now having got that tangent out of the way, I return to my main point which is that "rivals" is merely short for "local rivals" i.e. proximity is the key, therefore Spurs/Arsenal, Fulham/Chelsea, WHU/Millwall, Palace/Charlton.... and Bees/QPR.

Of course, it's hard to maintain a keen rivalry when you're in separate divisions and so rarely play each other, as has been the case recently with Bees and R's

But that's like eg moving to Australia for 20 years. You might not have been able to keep in touch with your family in that time, and when you do return, you might not really recognise them. But they're still your family, whether you get on again or not. And QPR and BFC are still local rivals, just the same.

For myself, I'm not particularly "for" or "against" the situation, and certainly not "desperate" to establish it, as someone on here claimed - perhaps because I'm not "dyed in the wool". Rather, it's just how I see it.

But thinking about it, I wonder whether your zeal to deny the historical rivalry stems from the fact that while in recent decades you've been lording it over us (league position, stadium, crowds etc), now you don't care to recognise that the cycle has turned and you're actually no better than a bus-stop in Hounslow. Worse still, with the way things are going, it could be Brentford who are top dogs in these parts for the foreseeable future?

Anyhow, I'll leave that one with you for now, whilst I turn to the league table and ponder our chances of overtaking WBA or Dirty Leeds.....
Bus stop in Hounslow on 13:03 - Jan 13 with 1585 viewssmegma

Bus stop in Hounslow on 12:37 - Jan 13 by NewBee

My point about "Chelsea FC" not even being in Chelsea (borough or neighbourhood) was merely to demonstrate the false, arriviste snobbery surrounding that club - a bit like eg Arsenal originally dubbing themselves a Woolwich club when it seems their origins were actually in more down-market Plumstead.

Now having got that tangent out of the way, I return to my main point which is that "rivals" is merely short for "local rivals" i.e. proximity is the key, therefore Spurs/Arsenal, Fulham/Chelsea, WHU/Millwall, Palace/Charlton.... and Bees/QPR.

Of course, it's hard to maintain a keen rivalry when you're in separate divisions and so rarely play each other, as has been the case recently with Bees and R's

But that's like eg moving to Australia for 20 years. You might not have been able to keep in touch with your family in that time, and when you do return, you might not really recognise them. But they're still your family, whether you get on again or not. And QPR and BFC are still local rivals, just the same.

For myself, I'm not particularly "for" or "against" the situation, and certainly not "desperate" to establish it, as someone on here claimed - perhaps because I'm not "dyed in the wool". Rather, it's just how I see it.

But thinking about it, I wonder whether your zeal to deny the historical rivalry stems from the fact that while in recent decades you've been lording it over us (league position, stadium, crowds etc), now you don't care to recognise that the cycle has turned and you're actually no better than a bus-stop in Hounslow. Worse still, with the way things are going, it could be Brentford who are top dogs in these parts for the foreseeable future?

Anyhow, I'll leave that one with you for now, whilst I turn to the league table and ponder our chances of overtaking WBA or Dirty Leeds.....

Have you not been reading anything on here ?? Many of us are saying how well Brentford are run, how the recruitment policy should be used as a template for many clubs but some people employed by the club are an embarrassment to the club.
Bus stop in Hounslow on 13:24 - Jan 13 with 1544 viewsParkRoyalR

Bus stop in Hounslow on 12:37 - Jan 13 by NewBee

New Bee does your keenest to establish a rivalry with us stem from living in Olympia in the 80's and being a Chelsea fan?

There is no other explanation to being in walking distance from two of the best players to leave your hometown of Belfast in the 80's, yet you chose not to pick your English team til you moved to Ealing.

I know Chelsea's a bit trumpy to get in these days, but come on, we're not like the yanks, you can't just change your team every time you change your postcode!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024