Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
1917 16:52 - Jan 13 with 4750 viewsstowmarketrange

Has anyone seen this film yet?I went today and thought it was brilliant,although slightly far fetched in places.Well worth a viewing though.
1917 on 17:16 - Jan 13 with 2912 viewsstevec

Saw it at the weekend, very very good, will do well at the Oscars.

The cinematography is superb, big screen, row B, on a Luxe recliner, feels like you’re almost in it.
1917 on 17:21 - Jan 13 with 2898 viewsflynnbo

Have visited the battlefields of Northern France and Belgium many times, Truly a memorable and most humbling experience.
1917 on 17:27 - Jan 13 with 2884 viewsstowmarketrange

1917 on 17:21 - Jan 13 by flynnbo

Have visited the battlefields of Northern France and Belgium many times, Truly a memorable and most humbling experience.

I’ve never been there but it’s a trip I’ll have to do one day.
I did visit my uncles grave in Naples 70 years to the day that he was killed.Just to see the rows and rows of gravestones in just 1 cemetery is moving enough.
1917 on 17:35 - Jan 13 with 2853 viewsenfieldargh

Enfield jnr is the singer in the woods.

And he's QPR

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

1917 on 17:40 - Jan 13 with 2828 viewsenfieldargh

Filmed on Salisbury Plane and the River Wear near Sunderland

captains fantastic

1917 on 17:46 - Jan 13 with 2818 viewsstowmarketrange

1917 on 17:40 - Jan 13 by enfieldargh

Filmed on Salisbury Plane and the River Wear near Sunderland

And i thought the devastation was fake.Now I know it was filmed in Sunderland I understand it better.
1917 on 19:18 - Jan 13 with 2720 viewsHantsR

I thought it was a very good film. Mrs Hants and I have been talking about it at length and in some detail since Saturday night at the movies. I was fascinated by the concept of making it appear as one continuous shot and found all 2 hours quite gripping.
Like many stories, it takes the form of a classic Odyssey and indeed changes into more like a fantasy environment around half-way through. Mrs Hants was a bit more critical of some aspects (she rarely gives fulsome praise) e.g the occasional loud music and there were a couple of scenes that stretched the imagination a bit, as OP implies. So pleased to know about young Enfield singing !
1917 on 20:31 - Jan 13 with 2633 viewsnumptydumpty

Saw it last friday - top film - could not help thinking about decisions that people such as that man with the funny haircut in washington make that end up costing the average joe an extremely harrowing end to life

Was possibly one of the cruelest most ridiculous war ever. The futility of gaining three hundred yards by having hundreds of young men being slaughtered - horrendous

My immediate thoughts if I was a soldier - my lifespan would be about as optimistic as any manager of queens park rangers !!!

Very good film though and brilliant acting too - harrowing I think the word is !!!!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Login to get fewer ads

1917 on 20:34 - Jan 13 with 2618 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Look forward to seeing it.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

1917 on 21:12 - Jan 13 with 2573 viewsonlyrinmoray

Off to see it tomorrow night with Moray jn
1917 on 21:20 - Jan 13 with 2556 viewssilverbirch

1917 on 17:35 - Jan 13 by enfieldargh

Enfield jnr is the singer in the woods.

And he's QPR

Enfield jor is a talented lad!
Very good film.
1917 on 21:26 - Jan 13 with 2542 viewsCiderwithRsie

Haven't seen it, but I did read a piece about the lengths they went to get the detail right (e.g. WW1 helmets rather than there almost identical 1939 issue) and Mendes is on record as saying he was inspired by the stories of his grandfather.

So it may not be as far-fetched as you think. (I'll have to see it obviously, I presume there are spoilers involved in discussing plausibility). Sometimes it is the crazy stuff that's true.
1917 on 21:28 - Jan 13 with 2538 viewsMrSheen

A few months ago I read Storm of Steel by Ernst Jünger, which he wrote about his wartime experiences in 1920 and which was a worldwide sensation at the time. Though the battlefield scenes in it are absolutely horrific - Jünger was wounded or gassed 14 times - it’s clear he’s having the time of his life while at the same time dreading every minute. One of the fascinating aspects of it is how hard up they feel compared to the British in food, ammunition and equipment. Every time they manage to overrun a British position, they make sure to grab jam, fags and clothes before the counter attack comes. Well worth looking up, it’s an amazing book.

Jünger had a fascinating life. He was a world famous author at a young age and a real hero to nationalist Germans and ex-servicemen, though he despised the Nazis and turned down the honours and positions they offered him. He volunteered for the Wehrmacht when war broke out though he was in his 40s and spent the war in Paris hanging around with the French artists he knew from before the war. He survived involvement in the Valkyrie plot, and actually made it to 102, only dying in 1998.
1917 on 21:37 - Jan 13 with 2523 viewsstowmarketrange

1917 on 21:26 - Jan 13 by CiderwithRsie

Haven't seen it, but I did read a piece about the lengths they went to get the detail right (e.g. WW1 helmets rather than there almost identical 1939 issue) and Mendes is on record as saying he was inspired by the stories of his grandfather.

So it may not be as far-fetched as you think. (I'll have to see it obviously, I presume there are spoilers involved in discussing plausibility). Sometimes it is the crazy stuff that's true.

It’s not really a plausibility issue,more to do with a coincidence issue.I don’t want to say any more in case it spoils the plot for people who haven’t seen it yet.
1917 on 21:42 - Jan 13 with 2521 viewsCiderwithRsie

1917 on 21:28 - Jan 13 by MrSheen

A few months ago I read Storm of Steel by Ernst Jünger, which he wrote about his wartime experiences in 1920 and which was a worldwide sensation at the time. Though the battlefield scenes in it are absolutely horrific - Jünger was wounded or gassed 14 times - it’s clear he’s having the time of his life while at the same time dreading every minute. One of the fascinating aspects of it is how hard up they feel compared to the British in food, ammunition and equipment. Every time they manage to overrun a British position, they make sure to grab jam, fags and clothes before the counter attack comes. Well worth looking up, it’s an amazing book.

Jünger had a fascinating life. He was a world famous author at a young age and a real hero to nationalist Germans and ex-servicemen, though he despised the Nazis and turned down the honours and positions they offered him. He volunteered for the Wehrmacht when war broke out though he was in his 40s and spent the war in Paris hanging around with the French artists he knew from before the war. He survived involvement in the Valkyrie plot, and actually made it to 102, only dying in 1998.

I've read that one of the reasons for the German collapse in autumn 1918 (and they did collapse, contrary to Nazi myth) is that during their spring 1918 offensive they were appalled by the "lavish" supplies they found in the British trenches.

(Conversely, during the Somme, when the British saw how fortified the German line was that they'd fought their way into, they wondered why the hell they were being sent over the top to attack them.)

A not-very-readable but detailed British account is The War The Infantry Knew by the Medical Officer of the Royal Welch Fusiliers (same regt. as Sassoon and Robert Graves and written partly as a rebuttal to those two.) Big on the detail of ordinary life in the trenches, much like the They Shall Not Grow Old documentary film of last year.
1917 on 22:16 - Jan 13 with 2476 viewsMrSheen

1917 on 21:42 - Jan 13 by CiderwithRsie

I've read that one of the reasons for the German collapse in autumn 1918 (and they did collapse, contrary to Nazi myth) is that during their spring 1918 offensive they were appalled by the "lavish" supplies they found in the British trenches.

(Conversely, during the Somme, when the British saw how fortified the German line was that they'd fought their way into, they wondered why the hell they were being sent over the top to attack them.)

A not-very-readable but detailed British account is The War The Infantry Knew by the Medical Officer of the Royal Welch Fusiliers (same regt. as Sassoon and Robert Graves and written partly as a rebuttal to those two.) Big on the detail of ordinary life in the trenches, much like the They Shall Not Grow Old documentary film of last year.

Jünger complains about how terrible the food became in the second half of the war and the fact they had to ration their firing, while the British have the luxury of bombarding them around the clock. Germany was squeezed by the naval blockade and the fact that so many men and horses were conscripted for the war, agricultural production shrivelled up.
1917 on 23:06 - Jan 13 with 2400 viewsenfieldargh

1917 on 21:26 - Jan 13 by CiderwithRsie

Authentic uniforms. LE303 riflesa but no sharp pointy things

All extras and cast had to go on boot camps on Salisbury Plain wearing uniform and were drilled by Army regulars using instruction from British Army manuals of the day..

Filming took days as the weather/cloud coverage had to be constant so if it was cloudy or raining it was a case of sitting down doing nothing and waiting for the sun to shine at the correct angle/time

Thats about as much as I know

captains fantastic

1917 on 07:48 - Jan 14 with 2272 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The Russian version of 1917 is a bit different.

If you know you know.
1917 on 08:42 - Jan 14 with 2213 viewsRamseyR

I may be a lone voice, but I'd only give it 6/10.
Very clever how it's made, but that don't necessarily make it a great film. I was really looking forward to it, but left feeling a bit underwhelmed to honest.
1917 on 16:50 - Jan 14 with 2068 viewsitsbiga

1917 on 08:42 - Jan 14 by RamseyR

Very clever how it's made, but that don't necessarily make it a great film. I was really looking forward to it, but left feeling a bit underwhelmed to honest.

I thought Dunkirk was pretty sh1t. Is this of the same ilk?
Over the top cinematography and a haunting score designed to drum up emotion that the film fails to deliver. Seems more like directors w@nking in public.

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

1917 on 17:12 - Jan 14 with 2007 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

1917 on 08:42 - Jan 14 by RamseyR

No not a lone voice I’d give it about 6/7 out of 10 too. Decent effort, gripping in parts and original but perhaps a bit self indulgent for me. A ‘jobs for the boys’ kind of film. Having said that it’s well worth seeing. The set is amazing.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2020 17:25]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

1917 on 18:32 - Jan 14 with 1936 viewsCLAREMAN1995

1917 on 20:31 - Jan 13 by numptydumpty

Saw it last friday - top film - could not help thinking about decisions that people such as that man with the funny haircut in washington make that end up costing the average joe an extremely harrowing end to life

Was possibly one of the cruelest most ridiculous war ever. The futility of gaining three hundred yards by having hundreds of young men being slaughtered - horrendous

My immediate thoughts if I was a soldier - my lifespan would be about as optimistic as any manager of queens park rangers !!!

Very good film though and brilliant acting too - harrowing I think the word is !!!!

I think you mean Bush not Trump there numptydumpty but either way how many lives (mostly young )have been destroyed by wars its pretty sobering.
I did not see 1917 yet but it could be one of the best in years going off the reviews
1917 on 18:47 - Jan 14 with 1917 viewsRamseyR

1917 on 16:50 - Jan 14 by itsbiga

I thought Dunkirk was pretty sh1t. Is this of the same ilk?
Over the top cinematography and a haunting score designed to drum up emotion that the film fails to deliver. Seems more like directors w@nking in public.

You've put into words what I was thinking. Similar to Dunkirk...worth seeing but not a classic.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2020 18:48]
1917 on 21:25 - Jan 14 with 1825 viewsjtuck

My grandfather fought in the 14-18 war and was then part of the beaten BEF who escaped from Dunkirk.

Personally, thought 1917 much better than Dunkirk. Single story format much better and superb cinematography. Also, lots of f-ing and blinding from all ranks which seemed about right. Here in Southern California, LA Times movie awards reporter tipping it as the frontrunner for Best Picture Oscar after nominations came out on Monday.

The film has flaws, lapsing into fantasy as noted above but gripping.

BTW...other movie top tips from Best Pic list: Parasite and Jo Jo Rabbit.

LAranger

1917 on 21:37 - Jan 14 with 1805 viewsloftboy

1917 on 21:25 - Jan 14 by jtuck

My grandfather fought in the 14-18 war and was then part of the beaten BEF who escaped from Dunkirk.

Personally, thought 1917 much better than Dunkirk. Single story format much better and superb cinematography. Also, lots of f-ing and blinding from all ranks which seemed about right. Here in Southern California, LA Times movie awards reporter tipping it as the frontrunner for Best Picture Oscar after nominations came out on Monday.

The film has flaws, lapsing into fantasy as noted above but gripping.

BTW...other movie top tips from Best Pic list: Parasite and Jo Jo Rabbit.

I saw Jo Jo rabbit last week, was a lot better then I thought it would be, very poignant in places, particularly when the boys other gets hung in public for distributing literature against the Reich.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024