Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hugill 08:45 - Feb 23 with 5184 viewsozranger

Looks to me that he is starting to really enjoy himself up front being the target for long balls, outmuscling defenders and giving them hell. According to the stats he conceded four fouls and didn't get a strike on goal, but he was a significant distraction to the defenders allowing more room for Eze and the others to do their work.

As much as I thought he would need a rest and Oteh should come in for a game or two, Hugill seems to enjoy game after game and it may actually be hard for Oteh to get much time on the pitch for the remainder of the season.

For me, it was hard to pick a standout man of the match. They all played well but I just liked the way Hugill affected the game in his part of the field.
Hugill on 09:52 - Feb 23 with 3678 viewsHooparoo

Don’t get too attached. We probably can’t afford him

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Hugill on 11:41 - Feb 23 with 3469 viewssevenhoop

agreed, think he's done a really useful job the last couple of games
Hugill on 13:05 - Feb 23 with 3332 viewsBenny_the_Ball

It's all fair and well putting yourself about but Hugill's primary job is to score goals and he doesn't get enough for me when you consider the chances this team creates. If he didn't even manage a strike on goal in the entire match then he's not affecting the game enough and is certainly not a contender for MOTM, regardless of how much he's enjoying himself.

There was an interesting story told by Les in the 'Stars of the 90s' feature. He recalled how Ray Wilkins gave him a bollocking for 1 poor touch even though Ray himself was having a mare. Ray's logic was that a striker can win you a game even when the rest of the team are playing poorly so they have to be on it at all times.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 13:10]
Hugill on 13:20 - Feb 23 with 3291 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Hugill on 13:05 - Feb 23 by Benny_the_Ball

It's all fair and well putting yourself about but Hugill's primary job is to score goals and he doesn't get enough for me when you consider the chances this team creates. If he didn't even manage a strike on goal in the entire match then he's not affecting the game enough and is certainly not a contender for MOTM, regardless of how much he's enjoying himself.

There was an interesting story told by Les in the 'Stars of the 90s' feature. He recalled how Ray Wilkins gave him a bollocking for 1 poor touch even though Ray himself was having a mare. Ray's logic was that a striker can win you a game even when the rest of the team are playing poorly so they have to be on it at all times.

He's

1) Our top scorer
2) 8th in the Championship overall.
3) Scoring more than 1 goal every 2.5 games.

not sure your opinions are accurate or fair.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 20:44]
Hugill on 13:46 - Feb 23 with 3227 viewsTacticalR

Hugill on 13:05 - Feb 23 by Benny_the_Ball

Real opportunities were few and far between yesterday.

Hugill got that knockdown for Eze that Eze should have done better with, so I don't think there is any problem with Hugill bringing down high balls.

The problem is that I don't think Hugill is going to score many from high balls (i.e. from the majority of crosses). We saw against Stoke that he can latch on to balls played on the ground through the defence, so I think he needs more of that kind of ball. Against Forest we just didn't create those kind of opportunities.

Air hostess clique

Hugill on 13:55 - Feb 23 with 3198 viewskensalriser

He's not as good a goalscorer as Nahki Wells, it's true. But Wells won't be scoring any more goals for us.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Hugill on 13:56 - Feb 23 with 3207 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Hugill on 13:20 - Feb 23 by BazzaInTheLoft

He's

1) Our top scorer
2) 8th in the Championship overall.
3) Scoring more than 1 goal every 2.5 games.

not sure your opinions are accurate or fair.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 20:44]

Before you accuse others of inaccuracy check your stats.

1) With Wells having departed, Eze is now our top scorer.
2) Hugill is 22nd in the Championship overall, level on goals scored with Conor Chaplin of Barnsley and James Collins of Luton.
3) Jordan has scored less than 1 in 3 and even 1 in 3 is nothing to write home about.
4) Jordan's shots on target ratio is 29% and he has contributed ZERO assists.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/championship/top-scorers

Given that QPR are the third highest scorers in the Championship with 51 and play an attacking brand of football creating numerous chances, Hugill could and should do better. He can start by getting back on the training ground and practicing how to keep his head over the ball so he that doesn't blaze so many opportunities over the bar.
Hugill on 14:01 - Feb 23 with 3194 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Hugill on 13:56 - Feb 23 by Benny_the_Ball

2) Hugill is 22nd in the Championship overall, level on goals scored with Conor Chaplin of Barnsley and James Collins of Luton.
3) Jordan has scored less than 1 in 3 and even 1 in 3 is nothing to write home about.

Given that QPR are the third highest scorers in the Championship with 51 and play an attacking brand of football creating numerous chances, Hugill could and should do better. He can start by getting back on the training ground and practicing how to keep his head over the ball so he that doesn't blaze so many opportunities over the bar.

1) Eze is only our top scorer in the league. He has 11. Hugill has 12
(in all competitions. Do his other goals not count?)

2) is is one of 22 player who have scored 10 or more. That still makes him 8th.

3) He has scored more than 1 in 3. Again, consider goals outside of the league.

4) Couldn't give a shit about that stat. We can't afford to bash a player who has scored a quarter of our goals with no replacement.

This is where we are at. Hugill or Oteh.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 14:03]
Login to get fewer ads

Hugill on 14:01 - Feb 23 with 3192 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Hugill on 13:46 - Feb 23 by TacticalR

Real opportunities were few and far between yesterday.

Hugill got that knockdown for Eze that Eze should have done better with, so I don't think there is any problem with Hugill bringing down high balls.

The problem is that I don't think Hugill is going to score many from high balls (i.e. from the majority of crosses). We saw against Stoke that he can latch on to balls played on the ground through the defence, so I think he needs more of that kind of ball. Against Forest we just didn't create those kind of opportunities.

I agree that yesterday chances were at a premium but let's not go overboard on his contribution when he didn't manage 1 strike on target, let alone a goal. He was OK yesterday, nothing more, nothing less.

As for his general record, yesterday's match was not indicative of the season as a whole which has seen QPR create lots of chances.
Hugill on 14:33 - Feb 23 with 3115 viewsozranger

Hugill on 14:01 - Feb 23 by Benny_the_Ball

I agree that yesterday chances were at a premium but let's not go overboard on his contribution when he didn't manage 1 strike on target, let alone a goal. He was OK yesterday, nothing more, nothing less.

As for his general record, yesterday's match was not indicative of the season as a whole which has seen QPR create lots of chances.

I just find it amazing this, somewhat generalised, blinkered view of what a forward is supposed to do. We should take this within the context of Warbs style of play and it is here that I think that he is really enjoying himself.

If we are playing out from the back all the time as we did early in the season then the opponents will push on us all the time. This requires some alternate arrangements and that includes long balls from goal kicks. Name one player in our squad you would rather have at the end of those. Hugill did very well with almost all of these long balls yesterday and also in the previous few games. That is why I feel he has started to enjoy himself. He said it himself that he likes to put his body around and cause problems for defenders.

We can push out stats all day long, like how many times did he win a long ball? Where is that stat? Why do not we look at the previous two games as well when he was doing the same thing? Had Eze chosen to shoot with his left foot, after Hugill's header to him from yet another won long ball, to me the chance of a goal would have been well over 50% and yet Hugill does not get credit for that.

Yesterday, there were few chances for him. Only one I can remember when he should have pulled the trigger with a volley late in the second half but chose to bring it down and then lost it.

Yes, we can criticise him for his misses and hopefully he is working on that at training, but we cannot criticise him for his workrate defending from the front and trying to win the ball, hassle the opponents or create fouls against him. If you saw the game differently, fair enough, but from what I saw from the stands, he put in quite a shift while many others were tiring. If you're opinion of a striker is that he should score goals and that is the most important, and from what I can see from your comments, the only importance, then yes, he has played poorly and should not be considered to have played well but just so, so. If, on the other hand one thinks of a forward in the current Warbs' package to be a player who does everything and creates chances for others, then perhaps you may reconsider your opinion. That is where I am looking at it and where I think a few others are as well.
Hugill on 15:14 - Feb 23 with 3040 viewsTacticalR

Hugill on 14:01 - Feb 23 by Benny_the_Ball

I would like him to score more and we need him to score more now that Wells has gone.

On the positive side:

1) last season he only got 6 goals in 37 games for Middlesbrough, so he's not one of those players who was great for everybody else and a dud for us (quite the opposite in fact).

2) last week he turned the tide when we were 0-2 down against Stoke.

Air hostess clique

Hugill on 16:39 - Feb 23 with 2870 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I thought he was poor yesterday. He had two chances and he fell over once and mis-controlled the other. he didn't add much in open play either, though the weather didn't help.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Hugill on 16:59 - Feb 23 with 2822 viewskensalriser

For all that Forest managed two shots on target yesterday, one fewer than we did.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Hugill on 17:33 - Feb 23 with 2760 viewsqprd

Hugill on 13:56 - Feb 23 by Benny_the_Ball

Shots on target ratio is a pretty useless stat. Mark Pugh has taken multiple shots that are glorified back passes to the opposition keeper. This would reflect well in shots on target ratio but it doesn’t really mean much.

Also, presenting a random stat like shots on target without reference to what an average or good strikers ratio would be is not particularly helpful
Hugill on 17:43 - Feb 23 with 2745 viewsrsonist

Hurr durr striker goals.

If Hugill's "primary job" was poaching he likely wouldn't be a professional footballer at all.
Hugill on 17:45 - Feb 23 with 2741 viewsnix

Even in our Championship winning season, our striker, Helguson, only scored 13 and that's with Taarabt, Faurlín and Buzsáky playing behind him (Taarabt himself scored 19, and I think we can all agree he was a different level from anything we could hope to get on loan these days).

Sometimes I think our expectations can get a bit unrealistic. Hugill has already exceeded the number of goals our top scorer in the league has achieved in five of the last ten seasons (including this season, in which he is obviously not top scorer). He also adds holding the ball up and tracking back to his game, which can help out our defence significantly when under pressure. He could barely stand up at the end of the Stoke game he'd worked so hard. And he hasn't even played every match.

I think he's been really good value for money and a very good loan signing.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 17:46]
Hugill on 17:54 - Feb 23 with 2712 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Hugill on 17:45 - Feb 23 by nix

Even in our Championship winning season, our striker, Helguson, only scored 13 and that's with Taarabt, Faurlín and Buzsáky playing behind him (Taarabt himself scored 19, and I think we can all agree he was a different level from anything we could hope to get on loan these days).

Sometimes I think our expectations can get a bit unrealistic. Hugill has already exceeded the number of goals our top scorer in the league has achieved in five of the last ten seasons (including this season, in which he is obviously not top scorer). He also adds holding the ball up and tracking back to his game, which can help out our defence significantly when under pressure. He could barely stand up at the end of the Stoke game he'd worked so hard. And he hasn't even played every match.

I think he's been really good value for money and a very good loan signing.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 17:46]

Ya, great summary.

He's been a very good loan signing and I really love his attitude.

Hugill on 18:03 - Feb 23 with 2698 viewsnix

Hugill on 17:54 - Feb 23 by BrianMcCarthy

Ya, great summary.

He's been a very good loan signing and I really love his attitude.

Me too Brian. It's a great example for our younger players.
Hugill on 18:28 - Feb 23 with 2656 viewskarl

Hugill on 18:03 - Feb 23 by nix

Me too Brian. It's a great example for our younger players.

I think his problem is the transfer fee he was sold to West Ham for. I like his attitude and, as you say, hopefully that rubs off on the young players but I always look at him and scratch my head about someone valuing him so highly.
None of that is his fault and his work ethic means he is above criticism in my eyes as that's all he can influence.
If he's not playing well yet trying his hardest then that is a job for the manager to resolve, same situation as Lumley imo, then MW has to find a replacement in the squad who will improve the team. At the moment that seems unlikely to be possible so we basically have to accept his failings but hard graft and appreciate that's where we are and support his efforts
Hugill on 18:32 - Feb 23 with 2643 viewssmegma

So let me get this straight.

Eze has 11 goals.

Hugill has 12 goals.

Eze therefore is our top goal scorer.
Hugill on 18:36 - Feb 23 with 2631 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Hugill on 18:28 - Feb 23 by karl

I think his problem is the transfer fee he was sold to West Ham for. I like his attitude and, as you say, hopefully that rubs off on the young players but I always look at him and scratch my head about someone valuing him so highly.
None of that is his fault and his work ethic means he is above criticism in my eyes as that's all he can influence.
If he's not playing well yet trying his hardest then that is a job for the manager to resolve, same situation as Lumley imo, then MW has to find a replacement in the squad who will improve the team. At the moment that seems unlikely to be possible so we basically have to accept his failings but hard graft and appreciate that's where we are and support his efforts

Good post.

Mind you, I think that he and a few others will be well goosed for Tuesday. They looked fairly tired by the end yesterday.

Hugill on 18:47 - Feb 23 with 2577 viewsLongsufferingR

Hugill on 18:36 - Feb 23 by BrianMcCarthy

Good post.

Mind you, I think that he and a few others will be well goosed for Tuesday. They looked fairly tired by the end yesterday.

MW has said a few times recently how he intends to use the squad for the rest of the season, so I'd certainly expect Oteh to get a start or two soon. It's the only way we'll find out if he's good enough.
Hugill on 18:47 - Feb 23 with 2578 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Hugill on 18:28 - Feb 23 by karl

QPR fans complaining about Hugill not scoring 20 to 30 goals is like Danny DiVito complaining that he has to get into bed with Rhea Perlman every night instead of Jennifer Lawrence.
Hugill on 18:48 - Feb 23 with 2575 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Hugill on 18:47 - Feb 23 by LongsufferingR

MW has said a few times recently how he intends to use the squad for the rest of the season, so I'd certainly expect Oteh to get a start or two soon. It's the only way we'll find out if he's good enough.

This sounds great to me. Our job is to not get on his back.
Hugill on 19:03 - Feb 23 with 2538 viewskarl

Hugill on 18:36 - Feb 23 by BrianMcCarthy

Good post.

That is, of course, one of the biggest problems with the last transfer window in that experience left and young players returned off loan.
MW will have to rotate these inexperienced to save the core squad players from fatigue, as Bazza alludes to it will be interesting to see how they're backed by the crowd.
Although Pugh isn't everyones cup of tea he has stepped up at an important time and added experience albeit he's been in squad the whole time
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024