Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Birdsong. 15:54 - May 25 with 4625 viewsMickS_

We have male Blackbird in our garden that sings both “ Furlong for England” and the first line of “Captain Jack.”

Little things - I’ll let you know when I teach him anything else.
Birdsong. on 16:46 - May 25 with 3487 viewswelwynranger

It's been a long lockdownm
Birdsong. on 16:50 - May 25 with 3480 viewsaston_hoop

Theres a lot of parakeets or some type thing near mine and they sound a lot like the Ji-Sung Park-loving Korean fans that rocked up at HQ for a few months

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Birdsong. on 17:08 - May 25 with 3473 viewsMickS_

Birdsong. on 16:46 - May 25 by welwynranger

It has mate - he starts in 4 in the morning am.
Birdsong. on 17:14 - May 25 with 3462 viewsBoston

Birdsong. on 16:46 - May 25 by welwynranger

...in Alcatraz?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Birdsong. on 17:19 - May 25 with 3452 viewsizlingtonhoop

It's 260 miles to Durham, we have a full tank of petrol, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses ...

Hit it
Birdsong. (n/t) on 17:20 - May 25 with 3448 viewsMickS_

[Post edited 26 May 2020 9:04]
Birdsong. on 19:57 - May 25 with 3376 viewsRanger_Things

Does he do requests?
Birdsong. on 20:13 - May 25 with 3363 viewsBoston

Birdsong. on 19:57 - May 25 by Ranger_Things

Does he do requests?

The Birdy Song

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

Birdsong. on 22:02 - May 25 with 3330 viewsLblock

I’ve learnt that a song thrush is AKA Turdus Milomenous (spelling!!!)

I’ve learnt there’s another morning song bird called a Black Cap

The lockdown has had side benefits

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Birdsong. on 22:49 - May 25 with 3300 viewsHantsR

I saw a black cap today, also 3 cuckoos and photographed a Cettis Warbler (often heard but rarely seen). Highlight was probably the sight of a couple of Hobbies - their latin name is falco subutteo- not many people know that.
[Post edited 25 May 2020 23:25]
Birdsong. on 22:57 - May 25 with 3294 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I woke up about 4.30 am today. There was one bird singing. It had a rhythmic single note song pattern really distinctive. I even googled it to try and figure it out and I think it might have been a Coal Tit but can't be sure.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Birdsong. on 23:05 - May 25 with 3284 viewsMickS_

My dog caught a blue tit a few days back - gutted for the poor thing. Horrible moment.
Birdsong. on 23:22 - May 25 with 3267 viewsHantsR

Birdsong. on 22:02 - May 25 by Lblock

I’ve learnt that a song thrush is AKA Turdus Milomenous (spelling!!!)

I’ve learnt there’s another morning song bird called a Black Cap

The lockdown has had side benefits

Philomelos.

I recorded the dawn chorus earlier in lockdown as I filmed a full moon setting - fantastic if you like that sort of thing. It was really loud and quite special in an exceptionally quiet world.
[Post edited 25 May 2020 23:23]
Birdsong. on 13:03 - May 26 with 3177 viewsPeterHucker

There's a good app called Bird Up that will listen to bird song and tell you which bird is making it.

my Mrs reckons she's heard a bird near our house that sings the melody of the "I'm a Barbie Girl" bit from the Aqua song. But I haven't had a chance to hear it and try the app out on that.
Birdsong. on 13:13 - May 26 with 3165 viewsHantsR

Birdsong. on 13:03 - May 26 by PeterHucker

There's a good app called Bird Up that will listen to bird song and tell you which bird is making it.

my Mrs reckons she's heard a bird near our house that sings the melody of the "I'm a Barbie Girl" bit from the Aqua song. But I haven't had a chance to hear it and try the app out on that.

Is that app any good? I've got one called Birdsong, which purports to do the same thing but has proven very unsuccessful. Held it right up to a Sedge Warbler the other day, should have been unmistakeable..but failed miserably.

Our garden blackbird sings the first few bars of the melody of 'On my Radio' by The Selecter. Another one includes wolf whistles in its repertoire plus a very good version of a mobile phone call on occasions.

I'm really missing my QPR
Birdsong. on 13:29 - May 26 with 3157 viewsR_from_afar

Birdsong. on 22:49 - May 25 by HantsR

I saw a black cap today, also 3 cuckoos and photographed a Cettis Warbler (often heard but rarely seen). Highlight was probably the sight of a couple of Hobbies - their latin name is falco subutteo- not many people know that.
[Post edited 25 May 2020 23:25]

Three cuckoos? Wow, that is impressive, I have been a keen birdwatcher for years and have only ever *heard* cuckoos here, and even then, just four times. This spring, I have been fortunate enough to be living just ten minutes walk from a spot in Swinley Forest (near Ascot) where a cuckoo could be clearly heard.

Mind you, I was lucky enough to see a mangrove cuckoo when I was in Puerto Rico. Some amazing birds on that island.

I have managed my back garden with wildlife in mind for about 15 years now and whilst no cuckoos or Cetti's warblers have turned up, we have had blackcaps (very occasionally) and waxwings (once). I do have a hedgehog living somewhere in the undergrowth and once saw two hedgehogs doing what I can only presume was a mating dance just outside my front door, late one night. They were running around in circles, squeaking, for about ten minutes.

The biggest highlight ever was what initially appeared to be something very dull and commonplace. I was doing some gardening a couple of weeks ago and noticed a brownish butterfly. I love butterflies and have been to lots of Europe's wild places in an attempt to photograph rare ones, but this looked at first glance to be just another meadow brown. I followed it and holey moley, it was this amazing thing. I had never seen one anywhere and I didn't even know what it was. It turns out it's a green hairstreak. It was very obliging when I started trying to photograph it and I got some great shots. Perhaps it's my reward for planting loads of its foodplant.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Birdsong. on 09:17 - May 27 with 3062 viewsdezzar

Birdsong. on 13:03 - May 26 by PeterHucker

We have a black bird that sings Barbie girl , in our garden
Birdsong. on 11:23 - May 27 with 3015 viewsdezzar

Birdsong. on 13:13 - May 26 by HantsR

Is that app any good? I've got one called Birdsong, which purports to do the same thing but has proven very unsuccessful. Held it right up to a Sedge Warbler the other day, should have been unmistakeable..but failed miserably.

Our garden blackbird sings the first few bars of the melody of 'On my Radio' by The Selecter. Another one includes wolf whistles in its repertoire plus a very good version of a mobile phone call on occasions.

I'm really missing my QPR

I think the hip Blackbirds sing On my radio, and the less hip , Barbie girl, maybe.
Birdsong. on 12:11 - May 27 with 2992 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I too, have been hooked into this since working at home although I have always had a healthy interest in tits.

I discovered a free app called BirdNET that allows you to record the bird song/noise. It then analyses it and keeps a record for you.

I have fat balls up which normally only tits and finches can perch on to eat. However, there has been a pair of Robins that have taught themselves to do the same and I have seen them feeding their offspring from there. The young come and perch on the ground nearby whilst the Mum/Dad (it is probably the Dad as it has the red breast) shuttles back and forth to feed them. So far I have seen the following
Great tits, blue tits, long tailed tits, dunnets, goldfinches, robins, blackcaps, goldcrests, wrens and once a woodpecker. I also get the larger birds like Jays, magpies, blackbirds, pigeons and crows.
Inbetween all this I occasionally do some work.
Birdsong. on 12:20 - May 27 with 2991 viewsMrSheen

Birdsong. on 12:11 - May 27 by CroydonCaptJack

I too, have been hooked into this since working at home although I have always had a healthy interest in tits.

I discovered a free app called BirdNET that allows you to record the bird song/noise. It then analyses it and keeps a record for you.

I have fat balls up which normally only tits and finches can perch on to eat. However, there has been a pair of Robins that have taught themselves to do the same and I have seen them feeding their offspring from there. The young come and perch on the ground nearby whilst the Mum/Dad (it is probably the Dad as it has the red breast) shuttles back and forth to feed them. So far I have seen the following
Great tits, blue tits, long tailed tits, dunnets, goldfinches, robins, blackcaps, goldcrests, wrens and once a woodpecker. I also get the larger birds like Jays, magpies, blackbirds, pigeons and crows.

I can't wait to get back to Kerry and see my favourite, Stonechats. They are like little rusty robins, with a weird clicky song - two stones banging together.
Birdsong. on 12:22 - May 27 with 2988 viewsMickS_

That’s all well and good but can they sing anything from the hit parade or even football songs?
Birdsong. on 14:08 - May 27 with 2943 viewsR_from_afar

LOL. I was on a conference call with the team I work in when I saw an unusual bird pecking away at a wall opposite the window of "my office" AKA the dining room. I remarked on it on the call and my team mates, who are all relaxed and friendly, thank goodness, said "Get a pic. If there's no pic it didn't happen". I leaned across at the very moment that the neighbour's cat pounced and the bird - a nuthatch - shot off. I'm sure my colleagues enjoyed being regaled with my swearing at the cat and loud hammering on the window. It probably expanded their English vocabulary, given that they are Finns.

Oh, and stonechats: They are beautiful birds. If I am really lucky, I can see them in the forest near where I live, Bracknell.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Birdsong. on 14:22 - May 27 with 2939 viewsstevec

When dawn breaks we’ve got a pigeon in one tree who sings ‘Dominic Cummings, Dominic Cummings’.

Then his mate in a tree at the other end sings ‘he should be sacked, he should be sacked’.

It’s driving me mental.
Birdsong. on 14:26 - May 27 with 2935 viewsMrSheen

Birdsong. on 14:08 - May 27 by R_from_afar

LOL. I was on a conference call with the team I work in when I saw an unusual bird pecking away at a wall opposite the window of "my office" AKA the dining room. I remarked on it on the call and my team mates, who are all relaxed and friendly, thank goodness, said "Get a pic. If there's no pic it didn't happen". I leaned across at the very moment that the neighbour's cat pounced and the bird - a nuthatch - shot off. I'm sure my colleagues enjoyed being regaled with my swearing at the cat and loud hammering on the window. It probably expanded their English vocabulary, given that they are Finns.

Oh, and stonechats: They are beautiful birds. If I am really lucky, I can see them in the forest near where I live, Bracknell.

Loads in Kerry. I couldn't work out why robins were making that strange noise until I looked them up.
Birdsong. on 14:36 - May 27 with 2924 viewsMickS_

Birdsong. on 14:22 - May 27 by stevec

When dawn breaks we’ve got a pigeon in one tree who sings ‘Dominic Cummings, Dominic Cummings’.

Then his mate in a tree at the other end sings ‘he should be sacked, he should be sacked’.

It’s driving me mental.

I understand. We have one, that on the odd occasion, can do a coo version of “happy birthday to you.”
[Post edited 27 May 2020 15:10]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024