Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Come on Wycombe 19:31 - Jul 3 with 6290 viewsMickS

Kicking off soon.

Just watched Pompey. Couldn’t hear the bell in their end.
Come on Wycombe on 16:47 - Jul 4 with 1178 viewsAntti_Heinola

Come on Wycombe on 14:01 - Jul 4 by R_from_afar

Statistically, Wycombe have been the most direct team in League 1 this season. That worries me in relation to him being our manager one day, not because I am bothered by it but because some other Rangers fans will use it as a stick with which to beat him.

Personally, I think the very best teams are comfortable both playing the short passing game and using long passes. Klopp's Liverpool are very direct at times and they are both good to watch and successful.

I think people get quite mixed up. There's a big difference between John Beck style of growing the grass long in the corners, hoofing it into that general area and overloading the POMO and humping balls into the box hoping to bundle one in, and playing smart, directed, accurate long balls to forwards. One is monotonous and ugly and will really only get you so far, while the other can be thrilling to watch. I believe Darren Huckerby once got bollocked by Beck at Lincoln for dribbling round three and scoring because he should have hoofed it into the box as soon as he received it.

Bare bones.

Come on Wycombe on 17:26 - Jul 4 with 1115 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Come on Wycombe on 16:47 - Jul 4 by Antti_Heinola

I think people get quite mixed up. There's a big difference between John Beck style of growing the grass long in the corners, hoofing it into that general area and overloading the POMO and humping balls into the box hoping to bundle one in, and playing smart, directed, accurate long balls to forwards. One is monotonous and ugly and will really only get you so far, while the other can be thrilling to watch. I believe Darren Huckerby once got bollocked by Beck at Lincoln for dribbling round three and scoring because he should have hoofed it into the box as soon as he received it.

Very true.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Come on Wycombe on 18:57 - Jul 4 with 1077 viewskarl

Best tactic against a 3 man defence is the long diagonal played quickly from halfway line or further back.
Constant diagonals from both sides early in the game can quickly make the opposition have a back 5 and give you control of the midfield where you can then change your tactics to playing through the thirds and their 3 stretched CMs.
You do have to have a bit of everything nowadays so the ability to put in long passes and retain possession is vital
Come on Wycombe on 19:03 - Jul 4 with 1072 viewsdistortR

Come on Wycombe on 18:57 - Jul 4 by karl

Best tactic against a 3 man defence is the long diagonal played quickly from halfway line or further back.
Constant diagonals from both sides early in the game can quickly make the opposition have a back 5 and give you control of the midfield where you can then change your tactics to playing through the thirds and their 3 stretched CMs.
You do have to have a bit of everything nowadays so the ability to put in long passes and retain possession is vital

I was ahead of my time. long diagonals out of defence were my forte. I'm positive opposition teams used to shorten the pitch when facing me to try and make me look shit.
Come on Wycombe on 19:25 - Jul 4 with 1042 viewskarl

Come on Wycombe on 19:03 - Jul 4 by distortR

I was ahead of my time. long diagonals out of defence were my forte. I'm positive opposition teams used to shorten the pitch when facing me to try and make me look shit.

Your long diagonal passbacks were probably more legendary. On a bumpy pitch, halfway up a hill in a howling gale😂
Come on Wycombe on 10:45 - Jul 5 with 906 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Come on Wycombe on 19:25 - Jul 4 by karl

Your long diagonal passbacks were probably more legendary. On a bumpy pitch, halfway up a hill in a howling gale😂

Careful, Karl, I've learned that Gus's soccer career is not to be questioned.

He'll get his PR Department on the case!

Come on Wycombe on 11:16 - Jul 5 with 884 viewskarl

Come on Wycombe on 10:45 - Jul 5 by BrianMcCarthy

Careful, Karl, I've learned that Gus's soccer career is not to be questioned.

He'll get his PR Department on the case!

😂
If Joe Hart had played youth football with Gus he'd have been a nervous wreck long before Man City tried putting some little passing moves around him
Come on Wycombe on 11:21 - Jul 5 with 872 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Come on Wycombe on 11:16 - Jul 5 by karl

😂
If Joe Hart had played youth football with Gus he'd have been a nervous wreck long before Man City tried putting some little passing moves around him

I remember one game at the Scrubs and I was in the nets. Gus and whoever was with him at centre-back were getting outjumped for every single corner.

Gus to Brian - "You can come and get some of these if you fancy it"!

Login to get fewer ads

Come on Wycombe on 11:44 - Jul 5 with 831 viewskropotkin41

Come on Wycombe on 21:21 - Jul 3 by aston_hoop

Anyone remember the game, 03 or 04...probably 04, the windiest game of football of all time? Was in the Wycombe end that day as we'd sold our our allocation. I remember clearly us scoring and the stand around me errupting as half our fanbase had done the same thing and sat in the home end

I was there. What an exrraordinary game. The wind was definitely our best player. I was living not far from Aylesbury at the time, really nice away day. :)

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Come on Wycombe on 12:04 - Jul 5 with 806 viewsMetallica_Hoop

That Fleetwood keeper played like me on a Sunday still a bit drunk from Saturday.

I'd love it if Wycombe went up.

Just realised the game some of our fans gave Furs stick at was 18 years ago in August. Bloody feels like yesterday. I went to both the the Bank Holiday ones.

I wasn't at the windy one. Was it worse than that time up at Blackpool when Chris Day played like an International keeper?
[Post edited 5 Jul 2020 12:04]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Come on Wycombe on 12:20 - Jul 5 with 771 viewsE17hoop

Come on Wycombe on 11:44 - Jul 5 by kropotkin41

I was there. What an exrraordinary game. The wind was definitely our best player. I was living not far from Aylesbury at the time, really nice away day. :)

I'm fairly sure Rob Styles was the ref.

*Edit
Styles was the year before when we lost 4-1 and it ended 9 v 9.

This one was Martin Atkinson.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2020 12:23]

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Come on Wycombe on 12:24 - Jul 5 with 758 viewsNorthernr

Come on Wycombe on 12:20 - Jul 5 by E17hoop

I'm fairly sure Rob Styles was the ref.

*Edit
Styles was the year before when we lost 4-1 and it ended 9 v 9.

This one was Martin Atkinson.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2020 12:23]

It was actually a young Martin Atkinson in the wind.
Rob Styles was the year before, lost 4-1, Bircham and Bean sent off.
Come on Wycombe on 12:27 - Jul 5 with 746 viewsdistortR

Come on Wycombe on 11:21 - Jul 5 by BrianMcCarthy

I remember one game at the Scrubs and I was in the nets. Gus and whoever was with him at centre-back were getting outjumped for every single corner.

Gus to Brian - "You can come and get some of these if you fancy it"!

well, the only time you came off the line was to pick the ball out of the net............
Do you remember the Palace game? We were short on numbers and found some bloke practicing so roped him in, turns out he was semi-pro and got us a point!
First game against Chelsea, Dodgy Dave the printer scored and ran across several empty pitches so that he could slide on his knees in front of a bemused dog walker!
Good times!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024