Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Arsenal v Chelsea 15:24 - Aug 1 with 8020 viewsqpr_1968

FA cup final. how times have changed from watching the build up at 9.00 in the morning.
switching over from both sides, itv and bbc.
the one that sticks in my mind most other than our final in '82, is watford v everton in 1984 for some reason.
but anyway, not that anyone gives a shit, so i won't ask who you want to win, personally i cant stand both sides.

but going for them in south west london..2-1.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Arsenal v Chelsea on 21:34 - Aug 1 with 1557 viewsNov77

always thought he was over rated as a player.

he was a bit like David platt, very good at finding spaces in and around the penalty area and losing his marker, but like Platt he didn't have a good overall game, so when he didn't score he didn't really contribute. He needed others to create chances for him as he wasn't quick and couldn't really beat his opponent with skill or pace.

the likes of Robson and Gerrard were important defensively as well offensively. both good passers and who also scored their fair share of goals.they were also leaders on the pitch. Lampard not in their league.

I even think Lampard knew this, he knew he needed to score in order to contribute to a game which is why he wanted to shoot all the time and take penalties,(even nearly having a fight with di canio once when he wouldn't let him). I think on average he missed about one out of every 6 or so which is not le tissier class at all.

still to give him credit I think he admitted himself that he got the most out of the ability that he had.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2020 22:08]

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Arsenal v Chelsea on 21:41 - Aug 1 with 1528 viewsbakerloo8

Arsenal v Chelsea on 21:34 - Aug 1 by Nov77

always thought he was over rated as a player.

he was a bit like David platt, very good at finding spaces in and around the penalty area and losing his marker, but like Platt he didn't have a good overall game, so when he didn't score he didn't really contribute. He needed others to create chances for him as he wasn't quick and couldn't really beat his opponent with skill or pace.

the likes of Robson and Gerrard were important defensively as well offensively. both good passers and who also scored their fair share of goals.they were also leaders on the pitch. Lampard not in their league.

I even think Lampard knew this, he knew he needed to score in order to contribute to a game which is why he wanted to shoot all the time and take penalties,(even nearly having a fight with di canio once when he wouldn't let him). I think on average he missed about one out of every 6 or so which is not le tissier class at all.

still to give him credit I think he admitted himself that he got the most out of the ability that he had.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2020 22:08]

Tbf Fat Frank scored 10+ Premier League goals every season for 10 seasons in a row. For a midfielder that is unbelievable.
Couldn't stand him as a player tho, was very David Platt as you suggested and the shoe horning of him in central midfield with Stevie G cost England greatly as the best midfielder of his generation (Scholes) was stuck on the wing.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2020 21:41]
Arsenal v Chelsea on 22:47 - Aug 1 with 1421 viewsJuzzie

Before we played Chelsea in the FA Cup (the Camp OG game) i was offered a ticket a week or so before as they were playing in the CL as a work colleague couldn’t go. Normally I’d rather stay at home and drink bleach than go there but as we were about to play them for the first time in over a decade I thought why not.
I watched Lampard closely and all he did was basically hang around in the area just outside the D and the edge of the centre circle. He offered nothing the whole game and simply relied on being given the ball so he could move forward and have a shot on goal.
Fine if you’re a striker as they’re there to be given those chances but he wasn’t a striker. He should have been the one doing the grafting but he wasn’t interested.
Yes, he became their highest scorer but he was essentially not being a midfielder.
I guess it worked as he got so many goals but I don’t buy into the whole ‘miracle midfielder’ stuff.

[Post edited 1 Aug 2020 22:50]
Arsenal v Chelsea on 23:38 - Aug 1 with 1345 viewsStanisgod

Arsenal v Chelsea on 20:07 - Aug 1 by BrianMcCarthy

Fúck him, my man, and fúck him again. He's made his millions by representing an organisation that is despicably and systemically racist.

Did he mention that?
[Post edited 1 Aug 2020 20:12]

Did he also admit to playing the totally wrong tactics, pushing up a high line against a really pacy side and coming unstuck time and time again. 😜
[Post edited 1 Aug 2020 23:45]

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Arsenal v Chelsea on 23:39 - Aug 1 with 1341 viewsizlingtonhoop

Arsenal v Chelsea on 21:41 - Aug 1 by bakerloo8

Tbf Fat Frank scored 10+ Premier League goals every season for 10 seasons in a row. For a midfielder that is unbelievable.
Couldn't stand him as a player tho, was very David Platt as you suggested and the shoe horning of him in central midfield with Stevie G cost England greatly as the best midfielder of his generation (Scholes) was stuck on the wing.

Ok, so the charge was most "overrated".

Meaning distance between opinion and actuality.

As a manager and a player.

Bryan Robson far more 'overrated' as either, than most I could think of - Captain Marvel, my arse...

Fat Frank was a fairly good player, and has had two seasons in management. Not ready for a call.
Arsenal v Chelsea on 23:41 - Aug 1 with 1335 viewsqpr_1968

Arsenal v Chelsea on 20:40 - Aug 1 by terryb

The first final I saw on television was at the age of four in 1957. For no reason at the time, I took a dislike to Manchester United & for a few days I became an Aston Villa fan. Go forward to May 1958 & i was firmly a Bolton man!

This FA Cup was easy. It seemed that "my team" won it every year! That came to an end in 1960 when Wolves beat Blackburn & my hero - Bryan Douglas!

I assume that in '57 I could see into the future & just started the detestation of manure long before most! I was even at Wembley in '68 cursing Eusebio for not getting the winning goal when he was clean
through!

On to 1978 & I attended my first final. My wife & family were regulars at Portman Road & my mother-in-law decided that I should have her ticket, so that I could drive my wife, my wife's brother & uncle to Wembley. The drive back along the A12 was superb with all the over hanging bridges full of people cheering us on the way home.

It was far from a drab affair Brian & was one of the best fianals for many a year. After the opening ten minutes Ipswich took control & dominated. A very average footballer by the name of David Geddes had the match of his life & was unplayable (his Joe Walters moment!).

Hunter & Beattie were doubtful for the match right up until kick off, but both played. When I say doubtful, I mean Robson insisted they were unlikely to play, but the whole world knew they would be on the pitch!

And the icing on the cake was supplied by Supermac missing Arsenal's best chance!

The only other final I've attended was both matches in 1982.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2020 20:44]

that 78 final saw 24 players take to the field.
18 english
3 irish
3 scots.

must have been just after that, that muhren and thijssen came to ipswich, what a team that was.

Arsenal v Chelsea on 23:59 - Aug 1 with 1298 viewsstowmarketrange

Arsenal v Chelsea on 21:41 - Aug 1 by bakerloo8

How many of those were penalties though?I think I saw somewhere that he scored 45 penalties for them during his time there.
Arsenal v Chelsea on 00:11 - Aug 2 with 1284 viewsCamberleyR

Arsenal v Chelsea on 23:41 - Aug 1 by qpr_1968

18 english
3 irish
3 scots.

must have been just after that, that muhren and thijssen came to ipswich, what a team that was.

The 1975 final between West Ham & Fulham trumps it for being the most English final. 23 players plus the two managers John Lyall and Alec Stock were English. The one exception was Jimmy Conway of Fulham who was Irish.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Login to get fewer ads

Arsenal v Chelsea on 00:17 - Aug 2 with 1278 viewsNortholt_Rs

Arsenal v Chelsea on 19:35 - Aug 1 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Well the scum lost, who cares who won LOL

This!

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Arsenal v Chelsea on 00:17 - Aug 2 with 1276 viewsCamberleyR

Arsenal v Chelsea on 23:41 - Aug 1 by qpr_1968

18 english
3 irish
3 scots.

There were more than three Irish players. Arsenal had six for a start; Jennings, Rice, Nelson for NI, Brady, O'Leary and Stapleton for ROI. Ipswich had Allan Hunter of NI as well.

Arsenal v Chelsea on 00:20 - Aug 2 with 1269 viewsqpr_1968

Arsenal v Chelsea on 00:17 - Aug 2 by CamberleyR

There were more than three Irish players. Arsenal had six for a start; Jennings, Rice, Nelson for NI, Brady, O'Leary and Stapleton for ROI. Ipswich had Allan Hunter of NI as well.

sorry, forgot the northern irish players.

Arsenal v Chelsea on 07:19 - Aug 2 with 1169 viewsbakerloo8

Arsenal v Chelsea on 23:39 - Aug 1 by izlingtonhoop

Ok, so the charge was most "overrated".

Meaning distance between opinion and actuality.

As a manager and a player.

Bryan Robson far more 'overrated' as either, than most I could think of - Captain Marvel, my arse...

Fat Frank was a fairly good player, and has had two seasons in management. Not ready for a call.

No argument from me regarding Lampard being overrated, couldn't agree more, just saying his goalscoring record was outstanding (despite as has been mentioned millions of penalties converted).

Where I will have a blazing row with you is on Bryan Robson one of my all time fav players growing up. Magnificent player and proper all round central midfielder (got a bit slow and old towards the end tho)..... 🤣🤣
Arsenal v Chelsea on 13:57 - Aug 2 with 972 viewsPinnerPaul

Arsenal v Chelsea on 20:04 - Aug 1 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Not a fan of fatty but I think he was fair and honest in the post-match.

Yep , many, most would have deflected from a poor performance by highlighting referee errors - well only 1 IMHO - the sending off - but he admitted Chelsea were poor most of the game and deserved to lose - well done him.
Arsenal v Chelsea on 14:04 - Aug 2 with 962 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Arsenal v Chelsea on 13:57 - Aug 2 by PinnerPaul

Yep , many, most would have deflected from a poor performance by highlighting referee errors - well only 1 IMHO - the sending off - but he admitted Chelsea were poor most of the game and deserved to lose - well done him.

I thought the foul for the peno was also a red in that he denied a goalscoring opportunity.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Arsenal v Chelsea on 14:08 - Aug 2 with 946 viewsMatch82

Arsenal v Chelsea on 14:04 - Aug 2 by BrianMcCarthy

I thought the foul for the peno was also a red in that he denied a goalscoring opportunity.

Never really understood that rule though. How can you have denied a goalscoring opportunity if it's a penalty? To me that's different to outside the box where you have a free kick which more often than not CTN
Arsenal v Chelsea on 15:06 - Aug 2 with 902 viewsfrancisbowles

Arsenal v Chelsea on 21:18 - Aug 1 by derbyhoop

When I was a k7d/teenager/young adult I never missed the Cup Final. Last 20-25 years I could barely tell you who won it.

This

I could tell you who won it etc for quite a few of the years before I was born but after 82 I would struggle.
Arsenal v Chelsea on 15:13 - Aug 2 with 884 viewsstowmarketrange

Arsenal v Chelsea on 15:06 - Aug 2 by francisbowles

This

I could tell you who won it etc for quite a few of the years before I was born but after 82 I would struggle.

I’m glad it’s not just me then?I think the first final I saw was 1968 and the game between Everton and Sheffield Weds.I think I stopped caring after Wimbledon’s win in 88.Obviously the best was 94 and the scum getting caned by schoolteacher David ellery.
I don’t remember many from 2000 onwards though.
Arsenal v Chelsea on 17:57 - Aug 2 with 800 viewsterryb

Arsenal v Chelsea on 15:13 - Aug 2 by stowmarketrange

I’m glad it’s not just me then?I think the first final I saw was 1968 and the game between Everton and Sheffield Weds.I think I stopped caring after Wimbledon’s win in 88.Obviously the best was 94 and the scum getting caned by schoolteacher David ellery.
I don’t remember many from 2000 onwards though.

The Mike Trebicock final was in 1966. Another one match wonder kid!

Wednesday were 2-0 up & coasting before Everton stormed back. This match is best remembered for Eddie Cavanagh!

West Brom beat Everton in the '68 final with a goal from Geoff Astle.
Arsenal v Chelsea on 18:10 - Aug 2 with 780 viewsstowmarketrange

Arsenal v Chelsea on 17:57 - Aug 2 by terryb

The Mike Trebicock final was in 1966. Another one match wonder kid!

Wednesday were 2-0 up & coasting before Everton stormed back. This match is best remembered for Eddie Cavanagh!

West Brom beat Everton in the '68 final with a goal from Geoff Astle.

I remember it well apart from getting the team wrong then.I think Everton played in yellow though,or did I get that wrong too?
Arsenal v Chelsea on 18:12 - Aug 2 with 777 viewsNorthantsHoop

Regardless of the times we are in, thought yesterday's final was the usual sterile stuff we are served up by the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea these days. The first FA Cup final I remember was Arsenal v Liverpool in 1971 and the classic Charlie George winner. Must be my age but finding so hard to actually feel any identity coming from these mainly foreign players in most Prem teams,being paid tons of money and exorbitant fees being paid for them. I feel that at least with QPR and most EFL teams there is much more club identity and British talent being given a chance. Let's face it, something is seriously amiss if Pepe (average in my view) costs £75m at Arsenal and we have a gem in Eze who we are praying reaches a £20m asking price.
Arsenal v Chelsea on 18:15 - Aug 2 with 768 viewsterryb

Arsenal v Chelsea on 18:10 - Aug 2 by stowmarketrange

I remember it well apart from getting the team wrong then.I think Everton played in yellow though,or did I get that wrong too?

I think your right that Everton were in yellow. Both sides had to change their colours if there was a supposed clash , as was the case in 1982.

It wasn't a good final to watch as your first one stowmarket. Even now I can't recall many as being as drab as that one!
Arsenal v Chelsea on 18:23 - Aug 2 with 747 viewsCamberleyR

Arsenal v Chelsea on 18:15 - Aug 2 by terryb

I think your right that Everton were in yellow. Both sides had to change their colours if there was a supposed clash , as was the case in 1982.

It wasn't a good final to watch as your first one stowmarket. Even now I can't recall many as being as drab as that one!

In 1982 we could have actually worn our hoops as we won the toss for wearing our home kit. We only wore the red/black away kit as we thought it a lucky omen after the semi final and hence the blue and white hooped tracksuit tops so we could wear some form of hoops for the day.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2020 18:24]

Arsenal v Chelsea on 18:40 - Aug 2 with 715 viewsterryb

Arsenal v Chelsea on 18:23 - Aug 2 by CamberleyR

In 1982 we could have actually worn our hoops as we won the toss for wearing our home kit. We only wore the red/black away kit as we thought it a lucky omen after the semi final and hence the blue and white hooped tracksuit tops so we could wear some form of hoops for the day.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2020 18:24]

It must have changed by that time then.

In 1969 both Man City & Leicester had to change their colours as well as in '68.

Thinking about it perhaps it was up to the clubs to come to an agreement as Everton wore blue in 1966 but not in 1968 & both opponents colours were blue & white stripes!
[Post edited 2 Aug 2020 18:44]
Arsenal v Chelsea on 09:41 - Aug 3 with 607 viewsfrancisbowles

Arsenal v Chelsea on 18:40 - Aug 2 by terryb

It must have changed by that time then.

In 1969 both Man City & Leicester had to change their colours as well as in '68.

Thinking about it perhaps it was up to the clubs to come to an agreement as Everton wore blue in 1966 but not in 1968 & both opponents colours were blue & white stripes!
[Post edited 2 Aug 2020 18:44]

Different cup but both teams had to change for THE final in 67.

I seem to recollect that in the FA cup rounds the home team was the one required to change, the opposite of the football league.
Arsenal v Chelsea on 12:10 - Aug 3 with 574 viewsTheChef

Arsenal v Chelsea on 22:47 - Aug 1 by Juzzie

Before we played Chelsea in the FA Cup (the Camp OG game) i was offered a ticket a week or so before as they were playing in the CL as a work colleague couldn’t go. Normally I’d rather stay at home and drink bleach than go there but as we were about to play them for the first time in over a decade I thought why not.
I watched Lampard closely and all he did was basically hang around in the area just outside the D and the edge of the centre circle. He offered nothing the whole game and simply relied on being given the ball so he could move forward and have a shot on goal.
Fine if you’re a striker as they’re there to be given those chances but he wasn’t a striker. He should have been the one doing the grafting but he wasn’t interested.
Yes, he became their highest scorer but he was essentially not being a midfielder.
I guess it worked as he got so many goals but I don’t buy into the whole ‘miracle midfielder’ stuff.

[Post edited 1 Aug 2020 22:50]

He was fortunate he had the likes of Deschamps and Makelele doing all the dirty work which allowed him to ponce around on the edge of the D and score a few goals.

Hence why for England Gerrard and Lampard would never work, Owen Hargreaves looked like the answer but could never stay fit.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024