Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Local Businesses in W12 10:36 - Aug 26 with 2731 viewsfinnranger

Having taken full advantage of the Help Out To Eat Out scheme, had a lovely meal at Vine Leaves Taverna on the Uxbridge Road last night (friendly staff and fantastic portion sizes).
I noticed that apart from the queue going round the block to get into Nandos, the area still felt a bit dead and made me think about all the pubs, restaurants and cafes we associate with Rangers and the match day experience and how much we're all missing it.

Clive's recent piece put it so well that it's like visiting a model village. Apart from the Coningham Arms and Princess Victoria, both were quite busy last night, it seems a lot of the other local businesses are slowing waking from their slumber.

Here's hoping we're allowed back into HQ sooner rather than later and some of these places are still here to keep us fed and watered. In the meantime, if you don't live too far away, why not pop down to one of them...God knows they need it.
Local Businesses in W12 on 11:52 - Aug 26 with 2575 viewsstowmarketrange

A mate of mine who lives in Walthamstow reckons that it’s so quiet in parts of London during the day because so many people are working from home now.Will it ever get back to how it used to be if firms and shops continue to close down everywhere?
I guess we can always do without a Costa on every street corner,but where do people find future employment if there aren’t any jobs to go to?
Local Businesses in W12 on 11:56 - Aug 26 with 2567 viewscolinallcars

I agree entirely. We must support our local businesses. I've tried to spend as much as possible since the lifting of lockdown especially in pubs ( ooh, I'm a martyr to it ). Seriously though, pubs were struggling before the virus hit and I fear for many of them. Even the Spoons pubs are fairly quiet.
Local Businesses in W12 on 12:00 - Aug 26 with 2558 viewstraininvain

Local Businesses in W12 on 11:52 - Aug 26 by stowmarketrange

A mate of mine who lives in Walthamstow reckons that it’s so quiet in parts of London during the day because so many people are working from home now.Will it ever get back to how it used to be if firms and shops continue to close down everywhere?
I guess we can always do without a Costa on every street corner,but where do people find future employment if there aren’t any jobs to go to?

It’s quiet in central London but businesses in suburban areas are generally benefiting from people working from home.

I’ve never seen my local high street busier and you can’t get a table in restaurants and pubs without booking from Monday to Wednesday thanks to eat out to help out.

I’m not sure what’ll happen to central London. Presumably more people will start to return to offices in September but I doubt it’ll be enough to justify all the pubs, restaurants, Prets etc.
Local Businesses in W12 on 12:06 - Aug 26 with 2547 viewsstowmarketrange

Local Businesses in W12 on 12:00 - Aug 26 by traininvain

It’s quiet in central London but businesses in suburban areas are generally benefiting from people working from home.

I’ve never seen my local high street busier and you can’t get a table in restaurants and pubs without booking from Monday to Wednesday thanks to eat out to help out.

I’m not sure what’ll happen to central London. Presumably more people will start to return to offices in September but I doubt it’ll be enough to justify all the pubs, restaurants, Prets etc.

There is some good news then.I didn’t know about central London as he was mainly talking about the city,and reckons it’s like a ghost town at times.
Are there still tourists around,or have their numbers dropped off too?
[Post edited 26 Aug 2020 12:07]
Local Businesses in W12 on 12:10 - Aug 26 with 2532 viewsEsox_Lucius

Can I just put a good word in for Mr Falafel in the market? You won't find better falafels IMO and he is definitely a local business that could use a boost.

The grass is always greener.

Local Businesses in W12 on 15:08 - Aug 26 with 2351 viewsqpr_1968

the vine leaves is a lovely restaurant run and owned by evie and sam.
they rely heavily on home qpr games, as that part of uxbridge road has become a massive food hotspot. been going there since early '90's and the food is just as good.
don't know how recently they have kept going because i've been past there every day for years and not a soul in there.
hopefully it picks up.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Local Businesses in W12 on 17:40 - Aug 26 with 2229 viewsrobith

Local Businesses in W12 on 12:10 - Aug 26 by Esox_Lucius

Can I just put a good word in for Mr Falafel in the market? You won't find better falafels IMO and he is definitely a local business that could use a boost.

Absolutely god tier - see also Sam's Sandwiches at the other end
Local Businesses in W12 on 17:43 - Aug 26 with 2220 viewsrobith

Local Businesses in W12 on 11:52 - Aug 26 by stowmarketrange

I live in Walthamstow and everywhere is absolutely heaving
Login to get fewer ads

Local Businesses in W12 on 18:57 - Aug 26 with 2170 viewsHayesender

Had a nice meal and a few beers in the raven last Monday. If I hadn't of booked, I wouldn't have got in.

The landlady said its been going really well, which is great to see

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Local Businesses in W12 on 19:06 - Aug 26 with 2156 viewsrunningman75

I am in East London. Working from home. Have been buying coffee from local coffee shops some days and also sandwiches from independent places. During lockdown some local shops kept their prices reasonable so will continue to support them.
Local Businesses in W12 on 20:26 - Aug 26 with 2086 viewsLazyFan

When I have JustEat, Uber Eats, Deliveroo to my door, it's cheaper than eating out (from next month onwards), the range is way bigger than anything within a 2-mile walk to even my local high-street, reduced risk of catching a nasty virus, no delay in waiting for it to be cooked, why would I bother ever going out to eat, even at lunchtime?

Once this deal is over, then the hardship will start.
The new mantra will be "Eat In to Stay In".

zzzzzzzzzz

Local Businesses in W12 on 22:07 - Aug 26 with 1993 viewsstowmarketrange

Local Businesses in W12 on 17:43 - Aug 26 by robith

I live in Walthamstow and everywhere is absolutely heaving

I think he was mainly referring to the city being quiet rather than his own area.
Local Businesses in W12 on 22:32 - Aug 26 with 1942 views1MoreBrightonR

I was just about to add... Walthamstow with the offer has been so busy. Been really nice wandering around and seeing all the families out for meals. Also certain businesses... Ie hipster coffee shops etc have definitely benefited from the number of people working from home
Local Businesses in W12 on 15:42 - Aug 27 with 1796 viewstraininvain

Local Businesses in W12 on 12:06 - Aug 26 by stowmarketrange

There is some good news then.I didn’t know about central London as he was mainly talking about the city,and reckons it’s like a ghost town at times.
Are there still tourists around,or have their numbers dropped off too?
[Post edited 26 Aug 2020 12:07]

Yesterday was the busiest I have seen central London (Westminster area) since lockdown. I’d guess it was mainly tourism (more domestic than international) as not many suits knocking about.

My view is that Covid will accelerate more people working from home long term which has been on the cards anyway with technology improving etc.

Personally, I’d be happy to work 2/3 days in the office and the remainder at home. Much better work / life balance, less time spent on a packed train, save money etc. But I wouldn’t want to work from home full time as I do like seeing my co-workers and spending time in central London.

This is interesting: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53925917

I’m not buying this talk that we should all pile back into central London immediately to save Pret. The comments (follow link at end of article) are quite eye opening as public opinion suggests that many people feel the same way.
Local Businesses in W12 on 18:41 - Aug 27 with 1763 viewsBlackCrowe

Local Businesses in W12 on 12:10 - Aug 26 by Esox_Lucius

I'll see your Mr.Falafel and raise you Naama on Uxbridge Road. Best falafels i've had in this country (ask them to put a few chips inside the wrap too). Sensational.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Local Businesses in W12 on 18:53 - Aug 27 with 1736 viewsqpr_1968

zeit and zataar falafel wraps uxbridge road just before blomfontein road.
can't go wrong for £3.50......quality.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024