Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Simon Barker interview 20:50 - Oct 4 with 2514 viewsPeterHucker

Interesting read.
Never knew that bit about him getting that close to England caps.
Not surprising though given how well he played in the 89-90 season. https://cfbfootball.com/2020/10/04/simon-barker-the-pfa-qpr-and-england-duty/
Simon Barker interview on 23:36 - Oct 4 with 2190 viewsted_hendrix

I met him at a non football fund raising function after he retired, Introduced myself as a QPR ST holder and he was only to happy to stand and chat about QPR for about 10 minutes.

Absolute Gentleman and all round nice bloke.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Simon Barker interview on 00:33 - Oct 5 with 2108 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Great article thanks for posting .What a dagger to the heart to break your leg a few days before being announced in the English squad .Shame he never made it back again but the competition probably was as fierce then as it is today.
Speaking of today if Jack Grealish is not in the starting 11 for England this week it will be a travesty .He is head and shoulders above Rice or whoever is playing his position IMO
Simon Barker interview on 00:39 - Oct 5 with 2104 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Nice article, but I'd have to say the image portrayed is complimentary.

I don't doubt his story that he was on the verge of a call-up but in truth he was a decent pro, worked hard, good reading of the game, kept it moving quickly but was probably weak on his left and short of pace by International standards.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Simon Barker interview on 00:43 - Oct 5 with 2090 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Simon Barker interview on 00:39 - Oct 5 by BrianMcCarthy

Nice article, but I'd have to say the image portrayed is complimentary.

I don't doubt his story that he was on the verge of a call-up but in truth he was a decent pro, worked hard, good reading of the game, kept it moving quickly but was probably weak on his left and short of pace by International standards.

How are you still posting Brian its almost 2am are you in America on holiday by chance
Simon Barker interview on 07:54 - Oct 5 with 1921 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Simon Barker interview on 00:43 - Oct 5 by CLAREMAN1995

How are you still posting Brian its almost 2am are you in America on holiday by chance

I was up analysing Gaelic Football games. Tired now!

Simon Barker interview on 08:31 - Oct 5 with 1859 viewsCamberleyR

I also never knew he was that close to the England squad but when you think back to that 1989-90 season in early 1990 he was really at the top of his game, probably topped by his man of the match performance in the FA Cup 6th round game in March against Liverpool where he made Ray Wilkins' opening goal and near the end scored a brilliant equaliser.

Who knows we could have had three Rs players in the England squad in Italia '90? ( I know that Seaman later pulled out injured) When you look at the squad of midfielders picked he could quite easily have played himself into it instead of Steve Hodge or Neil Webb. The England game just after breaking his leg was the friendly against Czechoslovakia at Wembley, the game where Gazza cemented his place in the team.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Simon Barker interview on 11:55 - Oct 5 with 1643 viewsLazyFan

Hodge was a far better player than Barker. Even when at the late stages of Hodges career he came and played for us you could tell he was a step above the rest. But Webb was not all that.

Barker was more of an engine box to box player and also very good at playing the DMC role which he never got credit for. That game where he marked Waddle off the park sticks in the memory.

zzzzzzzzzz

Simon Barker interview on 14:04 - Oct 5 with 1502 viewsthemodfather

if ever a player turned it around it was barker....he used to cop a lot of stick and then become a stalwart, first name on the sheet. a good pro.
Login to get fewer ads

Simon Barker interview on 15:18 - Oct 5 with 1429 viewsBoston

Simon Barker interview on 07:54 - Oct 5 by BrianMcCarthy

I was up analysing Gaelic Football games. Tired now!

2am, that’s analysis paralysis!

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Simon Barker interview on 15:38 - Oct 5 with 1405 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Simon Barker interview on 15:18 - Oct 5 by Boston

2am, that’s analysis paralysis!

Ya, maybe! Enjoyable, though.

Simon Barker interview on 15:40 - Oct 5 with 1399 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Not sure why, but the chums I used to sit with in the UL and I knew he was on the cusp of a call up. I thought it was known to be honest.

You think back to that side and what a shame it never won something. Great football from some great footballers, that was maybe a couple of players shy of silver.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024