Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What was the first CD you bought? 21:05 - Oct 12 with 6479 viewsmarkrtid

I remember some bloke on ‘Pebble Mill at One’ claiming you could spread jam on these and they would still play. He did and it didn’t. RIP Pebble Mill at One.

So you just splashed out on a cd player in 85 or later whatever. Did you update your vinyls? Or go for what was around at the time?
Anyway, My first was ‘Eden’ by Talk Talk from ‘Our Price‘ in Hounslow. The 2nd was some Erasure cd for my wife to justify the need for a cd player.
What was the first CD you bought? on 12:21 - Oct 16 with 895 viewscolinallcars

What was the first CD you bought? on 10:57 - Oct 16 by LazyFan

I remember them claiming that they don't scratch like records.
So, of course, they did get scratched they didn't play.

They are digital records as opposed to analog records. Also cheaper to produce as we know. Which is why they made us pay for more for them of course.

This is where someone says "but they have to recoup their R&D costs". But that is rubbish as it was based on the Optical Disc technology which had been used in the industry long before CD's came along. The R&D had already been paid for as we can see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_disc#History

So, these big corps did not even pay for the R&D but just the finished solution in 1970. This then leads to small iterative improvements for DVD and Blu-Ray and so on all based upon the same original tech they never developed or invented. Yet people keep telling me that big corporate industry spends so much on R&D.

So, they were just screwing us ... again.

Too true. I seem to remember paying £15 odd for CDs when they first came out when a pint was about £1.
I nearly went for SACD a while ago but was put off by price and the lack of choice of records.
They used to say all CD players sound the same and vary only in functions but I found quite a variation in players. I currently have a Roksan which has a full bodied sound almost like vinyl.
What was the first CD you bought? on 18:11 - Oct 16 with 867 viewsRs_Holy

What was the first CD you bought? on 12:21 - Oct 16 by colinallcars

Too true. I seem to remember paying £15 odd for CDs when they first came out when a pint was about £1.
I nearly went for SACD a while ago but was put off by price and the lack of choice of records.
They used to say all CD players sound the same and vary only in functions but I found quite a variation in players. I currently have a Roksan which has a full bodied sound almost like vinyl.

I used to be really organised and have a printed list in my wallet. I would only buy them if they were on special offer.
What was the first CD you bought? on 23:48 - Oct 16 with 829 viewsToast_R

Nirvana's Nevermind. Still s great album.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024