Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What was the first CD you bought? 21:05 - Oct 12 with 6477 viewsmarkrtid

I remember some bloke on ‘Pebble Mill at One’ claiming you could spread jam on these and they would still play. He did and it didn’t. RIP Pebble Mill at One.

So you just splashed out on a cd player in 85 or later whatever. Did you update your vinyls? Or go for what was around at the time?
Anyway, My first was ‘Eden’ by Talk Talk from ‘Our Price‘ in Hounslow. The 2nd was some Erasure cd for my wife to justify the need for a cd player.
What was the first CD you bought? on 14:08 - Oct 13 with 1514 viewscolinallcars

What was the first CD you bought? on 13:03 - Oct 13 by Mick_S

My CD player had a shuffle function. Beat that.

No good if you like concept albums !
What was the first CD you bought? on 14:10 - Oct 13 with 1513 viewsR_from_afar

What was the first CD you bought? on 14:01 - Oct 13 by CamberleyR

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

What was the first CD you bought? on 14:40 - Oct 13 with 1498 viewscolinallcars

What was the first CD you bought? on 13:28 - Oct 13 by CamberleyR

I thought that was a brilliant innovation when I got my first CD player to go with my other hi-fi separates in 1989 (a Denon DCD-910, still got it and it still works perfectly but it hardly ever gets played nowadays) and also being able to use a remote control to skip tracks, fantastic. However these days if I put a complete album on my iPod and it's on shuffle, I will order it so that the tracks play in the order they were on the album.

For what it's worth, I think the first CD I bought was 'The Dude' by Quincy Jones.

I bought a new car recently that has no CD player. I had to record stuff onto USB drives to play in the car. Trouble is the tracks of a CD end up in alphabetical order on the drive. Tracks are usually in a certain order on a record for good reason. It seems the only way to ensure the USB plays the tracks in the correct order is to edit the title of each track by putting A,B,C etc in front of the title.
Bleedin' nuisance.
What was the first CD you bought? on 14:50 - Oct 13 with 1483 viewsNorthantsHoop

Moving on from vinyl in late 80s, first CD bought was Appetite for Destruction by Guns N Roses.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2020 14:51]
What was the first CD you bought? on 17:53 - Oct 13 with 1441 viewsPastCaringNW2

Avalon
New Gold Dream
Tin Drum

all bought on the same day in the old Virgin Megastore on the corner of TCR and Oxford Street
[Post edited 13 Oct 2020 18:00]
What was the first CD you bought? on 19:03 - Oct 13 with 1411 viewslightwaterhoop

Rum sodomy and the lash by the pogues.I loved buying vinyl records and remember a feeling of somehow being cheated by a CD.Still feel that way in fact.
What was the first CD you bought? on 19:18 - Oct 13 with 1396 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

What was the first CD you bought? on 14:10 - Oct 13 by R_from_afar

I've got one of those.

I can't remember my first cd off hand but I remember one of my teachers saying that you could drill holes in them and they'd still play back. Think I even tried it!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

What was the first CD you bought? on 20:11 - Oct 13 with 1372 viewsHAYESBOY

First couple of CD albums i bought together was:

Betty Wright - 4u2enjoy
Regina Bell - Stay with Me

God knows where they are now.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Login to get fewer ads

What was the first CD you bought? on 20:56 - Oct 13 with 1356 viewsderbyhoop

What was the first CD you bought? on 13:50 - Oct 13 by R_from_afar

Sorry to be a pedant but "Tusk" was actually the follow-up to "Rumours"

I remember marvelling as I saw my mate using a CD player, it seemed so futuristic. Just programme in the the track you wanted and off you go.

I bought my first CD player, a Technics separate, in 1990, and I still have it and use it regularly. I'm not into MP3 or streaming music so my music collection remains CD based, with a few records and audio cassettes from way back. My hi-fi separates system can still play those formats, plus I now have a jack plug for my wife's MP3 player.

My first CD was "The real thing" by Faith No More

Pedantry accepted.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

What was the first CD you bought? on 23:07 - Oct 13 with 1319 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I can't remember the first CD I bought (LP KISS Revenge with my own money)

However my dad bought me the Black Crowes'The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion' on CD Which was the first I had that was mine. (I think)

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

What was the first CD you bought? on 03:37 - Oct 14 with 1288 viewslarsricchi

De La Soul Is Dead

but

I bought that disc the day I put my CD player on layaway, so I just stared at the disc for about a month before finally having enough money to bring the player home.

I grabbed The Cure's "Never Enough" CD single the day I paid off the player.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2020 3:38]
What was the first CD you bought? on 06:23 - Oct 14 with 1270 viewscpgerber

Not sure about CD, but my first cassette tape was Prince-Purple Rain, back in '85.

I know I had a few CD's before I actually had a CD player (???), one of them was the Prince 3-CD greatest hits box set. Ironically, I wasn't a particularly huge Prince fan. New Model Army's "The love of hopeless causes" was definitely one of the first CD's I had, also.
What was the first CD you bought? on 10:55 - Oct 14 with 1227 viewsRs_Holy

First CD Player...

First CD
What was the first CD you bought? on 11:38 - Oct 14 with 1216 viewsCliff

I bought my first CD player in 1990, and the two CD's I bought to play on it were Bach complete suites for solo cello played by Paul Tortelier, and Carmina Burana.

I still have both CD's and in fact still play both (when I'm not listening on Spotify)
What was the first CD you bought? on 12:37 - Oct 14 with 1201 viewsqprxtc

What was the first CD you bought? on 13:05 - Oct 13 by Juzzie

"as Record Companies stopped bringing out records....." - for the record (unintentional pun), it was Woolworths who created this situation but is often record companies who get the blame.

Record companies wanted to carry on selling LP's but as they sold to the shop, not the consumer, it was the shop that dictated things. Woolies, who accounted for something like 55% of all record sales at the time, realised that CD's took up less space so more could be racked. As a result they stopped buying LP's so record companies had to stop making them even though there was public demand for them.
There was no direct-to-consumer infrastructure in place then to get LP's to the public.

And that’s why Woolies popped their clogs. That and nicking tons of pick and mix.
What was the first CD you bought? on 13:05 - Oct 14 with 1184 viewsflynnbo

"Steve McQueen" by Prefab Sprout but then had to but a CD player form Argos to play it as I thought I needed to get up to date with modernity!
What was the first CD you bought? on 18:05 - Oct 14 with 1117 viewsBrianWilson

First CD was Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream in 94 or 95.

Not bought a cd in 10 years or so though, all vinyl now.

First tape was Bruce Springsteen - Tunnel of Love in 88 maybe (didn't like it!)

"a diseased bunch of mofos if there ever was one, their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons." - Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

What was the first CD you bought? on 19:14 - Oct 14 with 1106 viewsizlingtonhoop

A louis armstrong cd, recorded from a vinyl through a microphone, scratches and all.

I bought a player cos I wanted to buy Wild Wood and the shops were closed to buy any cds. Got it from a garage on upper street.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2020 19:14]
What was the first CD you bought? on 19:31 - Oct 14 with 1098 viewsdaveB

I got mine through Britannia Music club, you'd get a choice of a different cd each month, Spotify for the 80's. I think I got 5 cd's to start with for joining so got Dire Straits Brothers in Arms, a Bruce Sprngsteen album think it might have been Born in the USA, the Bodyguard soundtrack, Bon Jovi Slippery When Wet and whatever Number Now cd was out at the time.
What was the first CD you bought? on 19:42 - Oct 14 with 1090 viewsLimehouseR

They were bought for me on my 13th birthday in 1997 and were:

Roni Size & Reprazent - New Forms
The Chemical Brothers - Dig Your Own Hole

Still sound fantastic even now.
Those albums have shaped my musical tastes to this day...
What was the first CD you bought? on 20:39 - Oct 14 with 1079 viewscollegeranger

Bought a Sony CD Player to add to my separates. Bought 10CC - Greatest Hits, Grace Jones - Island Life, Sting - Nothing Like The Sun and Sgt Pepper by The Beatles.

I then 2 weeks later went on Capital Radio's Graham Dene's Wall of Sound and won the big prize..... a JVC CD Player !!!
What was the first CD you bought? on 20:36 - Oct 15 with 1022 viewslondonscottish

What was the first CD you bought? on 23:07 - Oct 13 by Metallica_Hoop

I can't remember the first CD I bought (LP KISS Revenge with my own money)

However my dad bought me the Black Crowes'The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion' on CD Which was the first I had that was mine. (I think)

That Black Crowes album is great.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

What was the first CD you bought? on 21:33 - Oct 15 with 1001 viewsBlackCrowe

What was the first CD you bought? on 20:36 - Oct 15 by londonscottish

That Black Crowes album is great.

That BC album is truly great.

First CD...probably Nightclubbing by Grace Jones. I seemed to have bought that endlessly on vinyl, cassette, CD...you name it. Still love it, doesn't date.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

What was the first CD you bought? on 22:49 - Oct 15 with 983 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

What was the first CD you bought? on 19:18 - Oct 13 by CliveWilsonSaid

I've got one of those.

I can't remember my first cd off hand but I remember one of my teachers saying that you could drill holes in them and they'd still play back. Think I even tried it!

I think it was Aerosmith - Pump.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

What was the first CD you bought? on 10:57 - Oct 16 with 949 viewsLazyFan

I remember them claiming that they don't scratch like records.
So, of course, they did get scratched they didn't play.

They are digital records as opposed to analog records. Also cheaper to produce as we know. Which is why they made us pay for more for them of course.

This is where someone says "but they have to recoup their R&D costs". But that is rubbish as it was based on the Optical Disc technology which had been used in the industry long before CD's came along. The R&D had already been paid for as we can see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_disc#History

So, these big corps did not even pay for the R&D but just the finished solution in 1970. This then leads to small iterative improvements for DVD and Blu-Ray and so on all based upon the same original tech they never developed or invented. Yet people keep telling me that big corporate industry spends so much on R&D.

So, they were just screwing us ... again.

zzzzzzzzzz

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024