Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ferdinand Out 10:40 - Dec 27 with 8455 views1JD

Recruitment is the chief responsibility of the DOF role, and at QPR it is simply not good enough.

8m spent back in Les Ferdinands first summer, 8m spent again this summer, when we finally had money again- both a complete shit show.

Contracts are also the key responsibility of the DOF role, and again, it is not good enough- Manning and BOS both walking out the door for absolute peanuts, costing the club millions of pounds in lost revenue.

Everyone can moan about the manager but we need a new and experienced DOF, fast.
Ferdinand Out on 10:33 - Dec 28 with 1314 viewsBAWHoops

To flip it round

Smithies - Sold for profit
Furlong - Sold for profit
Manning - Sold for profit
Eze - Sold for profit
Scowen - Sold for profit
Freeman - Sold for profit
Bright - Will be sold for profit (remember he turned down the £4.5m move)

Also has brought through the youth system Dieng, Kakay, Chair
Signed on a free Hall, Cameron, Rangel,

It really isn't all mistakes. However my main criticism would be the summer under Jimmy where we wasted money on Ngbakoto, Sylla, Borysiuk for next to zero return.
Arguably could've been in a position to offer Bidwell and Luongo the required contracts had we not spunked that money up the wall

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Ferdinand Out on 10:48 - Dec 28 with 1258 viewsjeffranger

Now put in the players that Warnock, Hughes & Redknapp brought in under Fernandes & your see that’s while we are in a state today & not Les
Ferdinand Out on 10:52 - Dec 28 with 1245 viewsBklynRanger

Good bit of research there, superhoopdownunder, plenty to mull over in that list.

I don't know if any of us really know enough about the day to day job to guage if Lee Hoos would be willing or able to take on transfers, and Amit doesn't seem involved enough to be an option unless he's recently signalled something I haven't read.

I also think you could also break that list down into 4 or 5 tabs if anyone was bored enough - I'm close but not there yet.

That would include something like:
- genuine wastes of money who should not have been bought;
- players who we sometimes now feel are missed in terms of what they offered;
- players who are on the bench at bigger budget clubs, or who have done ok since leaving
- low risk gambles that didn't pay off
- successes

Then you ideally want to compare that final category with what the general success rate is for these things across the industry. Is LF's set up really that much worse than other club's and how does budget and FFP get factored into all of that?

Warburton was genuinely upbeat about the squad at the start of the season, so we can't really separate him from the proceedings since then. And you can see that he obviously had a hand in selecting players, bringing in Wallace and Ball who he knows very well.

As others have said, it's a fcuked up, complex situation at the moment. I'd hate to see us go backwards trying to make 'wholesale changes' that don't do any good when 4 months ago there seemed to be reason for optimism.
Ferdinand Out on 10:55 - Dec 28 with 1234 viewsNortholt_Rs

Ferdinand Out on 10:48 - Dec 28 by jeffranger

Now put in the players that Warnock, Hughes & Redknapp brought in under Fernandes & your see that’s while we are in a state today & not Les

So how long do we give him to turn things around? He’s had SIX YEARS.... Can’t keep using the Hughesless excuse - valid as it is. At some point having a DOF has to make a positive impact beyond us propping up the championship and praying we don’t get relegated to L1 each season. Christ alone knows what this means for us getting any new fans - I never, ever see any kids in QPR gear around my way. Once all us old f uck ers have gone there will be no Rs fans left. It’s worrying.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Ferdinand Out on 11:12 - Dec 28 with 1191 views1JD

Ferdinand Out on 10:33 - Dec 28 by BAWHoops

To flip it round

Eze - Sold for profit
Scowen - Sold for profit

It really isn't all mistakes. However my main criticism would be the summer under Jimmy where we wasted money on Ngbakoto, Sylla, Borysiuk for next to zero return.
Arguably could've been in a position to offer Bidwell and Luongo the required contracts had we not spunked that money up the wall

That doesn’t look at the bigger picture though. It’s the amount of profit that is key (see Brentford).

And more importantly, it’s the overall net profit generated in the time period that tells the true story.

Over the 6 year period that Les Ferdinand has been DOF, there has been a total spend of circa £28m and total incomings of approx £30m, giving a paltry £2m net profit.

Sadly, that says it all. The strategy of buy low and sell high is sound, and certainly not rocket science (the only way to operate for a club of our size) but the execution has fallen short. Way short.

It is now time for the club to make a change and recruit an experienced DOF who has a proven track record in;

a. Scouting hidden gems
b. Maximising value through sound contract planning and clauses
c. Generating growing year on year player sales profit that can be continuously reinvested
[Post edited 28 Dec 2020 11:14]
Ferdinand Out on 11:47 - Dec 28 with 1098 viewspaulparker

Ferdinand Out on 10:33 - Dec 28 by BAWHoops

To flip it round

Eze - Sold for profit
Scowen - Sold for profit

Scowen
Freeman
Bright

They were all down to penrice not Les

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Ferdinand Out on 12:00 - Dec 28 with 1083 viewseastside_r

Interesting thread and I ‘ve just finished listening to Nedum Onuoha’s take on Les — not a fan and probably less of one than he politely let on to Clive.

The OP’s view is based on that initial statement ‘Recruitment is the chief responsibility of the DOF role’.

I don’t agree with this, that is my opinion. None of us will ever know exactly what Les’s remit is a DoF (possibly not even the owners!) but I would say just to reduce it to player recruitment is not right.

However even if it is, the subsequent analysis by Superhoopdownunder is harsh and listing a lot of ‘frees’ and promotions from the youth set up is a clever but unfair way to interpret Les’s record.

As I say I think a DoF is not just about player recruitment and it is definitely more about coach recruitment and retention (and strategy?) Looking at the head coaches Les (the Board?) have appointed, they all made a certain amount of sense at the time. Holloway was the most left-field and that kind of seemed right at the time (and to almost universal acclaim on here, I recall.)

If we are judging Les on ‘only as good as his last game (appointment)’ then it does not look great but I know there are loads on here who always liked and still like Warburton.

In short, I don’t think Les has been a complete success as Dof (well duh!) but he is not the problem here, at this moment.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2020 12:00]
Ferdinand Out on 12:17 - Dec 28 with 1050 viewsMedwayR

I can no longer see the point of having Ferdinand or a DoF, everything that Ferdinand's role encompasses could be done by others. What I think his role boils down to is to cover for absent owners, a hands-on and clued up owner alongside Hoos would be far more successful. If you look at the top end of the Premier League (Liverpool, Leicester, Spurs, Man City etc) they all have owners who are involved and know what they want to do and how, same for Brentford now and Swansea in the past. That's what we're lacking.

Poll: Who’s better?

Login to get fewer ads

Ferdinand Out on 13:09 - Dec 28 with 989 viewssilverbirch

Ferdinand Out on 04:17 - Dec 28 by ozexile

As my Dear old Dad use to say "There's a lot of Dead Wood there".

Yes, lots of deadwood. But many that it’s too early to decide upon, some great successes. And how do you judged a successful signing? Joel lynch is one of my least favourite players ever but he played many games.
Fundamentally it resembles my betting account, lots of tiny bets, the odd change of tactics when I feel lucky/desperate/in the know, and a slowly improving balance
Ferdinand Out on 13:09 - Dec 28 with 986 viewscharmr

It seems that it’s all about results and the first team. Well, how did that go and ask a forest fan how that’s going. It’s the most elusive thing in football, a winning team. Look at Newcastle fans for example.

The club had to be put together and it seems it has. Has the first team got better and looking up the table rather then down, no. I think the right people are in place but could do with some shrewd help. Warnock and Les were fighting for that DOF job. Warnock is another taker as well as a chance and a liar. No more wrong uns behind the scenes again please.

Evidence seems just that the decision making hasn’t worked however the managers chosen all had some credibility and had a somewhat reasoned out choice. Experience or up and coming. I’m also no fan of Fernandes even though he spent a huge chunk of money changing the badge. Fans he gave you what you wanted. Fans wanted Wilkins as manager as well, never learnt from that.

It’s on the pitch we are struggling like most teams. Find the right people, fine, don’t destroy the club again just too be reactionary. No.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2020 13:13]
Ferdinand Out on 13:29 - Dec 28 with 932 viewsNortholt_Rs

Ferdinand Out on 13:09 - Dec 28 by charmr

It seems that it’s all about results and the first team. Well, how did that go and ask a forest fan how that’s going. It’s the most elusive thing in football, a winning team. Look at Newcastle fans for example.

The club had to be put together and it seems it has. Has the first team got better and looking up the table rather then down, no. I think the right people are in place but could do with some shrewd help. Warnock and Les were fighting for that DOF job. Warnock is another taker as well as a chance and a liar. No more wrong uns behind the scenes again please.

Evidence seems just that the decision making hasn’t worked however the managers chosen all had some credibility and had a somewhat reasoned out choice. Experience or up and coming. I’m also no fan of Fernandes even though he spent a huge chunk of money changing the badge. Fans he gave you what you wanted. Fans wanted Wilkins as manager as well, never learnt from that.

It’s on the pitch we are struggling like most teams. Find the right people, fine, don’t destroy the club again just too be reactionary. No.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2020 13:13]

Is that same Warnock that took a struggling Championship side and got it promoted to the Premier League? And on the way gave me one of the greatest seasons as an R supporter in my entire life - that one?
[Post edited 28 Dec 2020 13:29]

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Ferdinand Out on 13:39 - Dec 28 with 905 viewshantssi

Ferdinand Out on 13:29 - Dec 28 by Northolt_Rs

Is that same Warnock that took a struggling Championship side and got it promoted to the Premier League? And on the way gave me one of the greatest seasons as an R supporter in my entire life - that one?
[Post edited 28 Dec 2020 13:29]

Yes that one, trouble is Warnock was not a long term option, look at that team we had that season, how many of them had a sell on value?
I give you Adel and Ale, that’s it.
Ferdinand Out on 14:02 - Dec 28 with 857 viewspaulparker

Ferdinand Out on 10:03 - Dec 28 by daveB

Disagree that there has been no progression. The club is very different now to 5 years ago, we are on the right track in terms of giving players a chance and developing young players, there has been some success stories over those years. 5 years ago we were having to pay players big money to leave, that's not happening anywhere near as much anymore. I'm not going to sit here and say everything Ferdinand has done has worked and he is wonderful because he has made mistakes and I look at that summer window under JFH and think that was the one we got badly wrong and proved to be very costly

The end of this summer window though did again seem good on paper, a lot of people were raving about how well we had done and were talking of the playoffs, it's amazing how quickly that has changed.

For me ferdinands biggest problem has been getting the balance right between developing and having a good first team hasn't been found.

Warburton last season was the closest we have come to the right formula but we were always one poor window away from that falling apart.

I do think the current issues are fixable and the situation at the club is not as bleak as it looks at the moment but they need to improve and do a lot better in the transfer market.

My biggest issue with the last window is not that the players aren't good enough but that so few are playing. 9 players signed in the summer only 3 of them regulars is not good enough. I get that Amos is injured but we've added Bonne, Adomah, Wilock, Kelman and Thomas and none of them look like being regulars this season.

Ultimately the question is will the club have a better chance of success without Les Ferdinand and if so what would the club structure be if he goes, do we continue with a DOF approach or start again.

I won't pretend to have the answer, I really don't know anymore.

We cannot afford to get 3 /4 transfer windows wrong that’s why we are in the Sh1t we are in
It’s all well and good saying, Tony fernades made mistakes , Phil beard made mistakes, Ruben made mistakes , and now Les has made a few mistakes
Where do these mistakes end ? Are we going to keep saying the same thing over and over season after season
“They made mistakes but boy are they great guys “ sod that it needs to be right
I know we are selling club I accept that and have no issue with us doing that year after year but you must buy wisely with the money , like Southampton do, Peterborough,& Brentford
It’s failed and Les has to carry the can club legend or not

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024