Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan 22:15 - Jan 18 with 4120 viewsMyke

August 23rd 1975. When I saw that performance (I presume it was MOTD), I was hooked. I know for some of you it is a right of passage since you were born, or simply geography. But what are your earliest memories?
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 11:53 - Jan 19 with 1296 viewscolinallcars

Mid fifties for me. I used to love the humour and various things that the adult supporters would shout out. I'd be repeating them all week after a game. As an earlier poster said, it's in the blood.
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 11:53 - Jan 19 with 1294 viewsqueensparker

First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 11:09 - Jan 19 by ericgen34

Ah nice! Surely not same guy though? We used to call him 'owright mate' as it was his usual greeting :-)

No it's a monosyllabic Indian fella these days. Does a good line in random crisps though
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 12:11 - Jan 19 with 1271 viewsmarkqpr

When I was five my parents came back from a Saturday night out with my sister and brother in law and my brother in law put on MOTD which woke me up.

I came downstairs and watched Liam Brady destroy the opposition.

I asked my brother in law what was going on and he just said 'That's football'.

Instantly I was hooked.

He explained to me about supporting teams and all that and so I asked him who I should support and he said your local team (which considering he was a Godalming living Chelsea supporter was a nice touch).

Next day I asked my Mum who our local team was and even though technically we lived slightly closer to Highbury (0.2 miles) she said 'QPR'.

I then spent the next two years begging my Mum and Dad to go to football.

Finally they relented and my brother in law took me to Loftus Road to see us throw away a 2-0 half time lead to draw with Luton.

Paul Goddard was now my hero forever and until my kids were born I was ever present at Loftus Road.

About 6 months ago I managed to buy a copy of the programme from that game, which is now framed and hung up on my wall. I got it off Ebay from a cricket club who received it in a donation from Peter Blekskey as part of 8 QPR vs. Luton programmes from the 80s & 90s.

My brother in law fell in love with us as well and we used to go together until I was old enough to go on my own and then my sister insisted he spent his Saturday afternoons with his own kids. His two boys were not that bothered about football at the time. His youngest now lives in the Bush in order to not miss a game.

QPR - sh!t but local (enough)

This is how I still remember Loftus Road as this is how it looked when I first went:

[Post edited 19 Jan 2021 12:13]
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 12:12 - Jan 19 with 1268 viewssoops

First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 11:53 - Jan 19 by colinallcars

Mid fifties for me. I used to love the humour and various things that the adult supporters would shout out. I'd be repeating them all week after a game. As an earlier poster said, it's in the blood.

Fascinated by the level of swearing I heard as a kid. Still vividly remember someone shouting at Martyn Busby: "My son can jump higher than you Busby, and he's fackin 6"!
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 12:20 - Jan 19 with 1259 viewsPeterHucker

Back when the home internationals were the biggest games of the year, I watched this match at my grandpa's house when I was 5.

Gerry Francis scored 2 great goals that day & I decided I was going to support the team he played for.

My dad worked in Southampton back then so I saw QPR play away there a few times in the 70s. Also I have relatives who are Coventry fans so I saw us play there quite a bit too.

We couldn't get a ticket for the 1982 FA Cup Final but we went to the replay.

Then finally got to go to some games at Loftus Road in the promotion season 1982-1983 when we always seemed to score 4 goals and I was totally hooked from then on.
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 12:44 - Jan 19 with 1233 viewsWesley2Hoops

As ridiculous as it sounds I'm actually a QPR glory hunter!

As a young kid a combination of Gary Lineker and having family in North London meant I was a Spurs fan, with a slight soft spot for QPR because I also liked Paul Parker.

Then in '92 and '93 Lineker went to Japan and QPR finished 5th, so greedily eyeing a future of success and trophies I jumped ship, aged 10 which is pretty late I'd say. I was clearly a smart lad eh?

I guess in '96 when it all fell apart I felt I'd reached the point of no return. And I suppose the next two and a bit decades are a fitting punishment for my treachery...
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 13:07 - Jan 19 with 1206 viewswestberksr

First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 10:16 - Jan 19 by soops

It was in the blood. I remember crying on my 6th birthday in 1973 cos my Dad was taking my brother to a game but I had to stay home and have a party 😆
We then moved to Ireland so I didn’t see my first game til we moved back 3 years later. First game of the 76/77 season I think, home to Everton. I was so excited I nearly fainted. Hardly saw a thing through the throng on the Loft, we lost 4-0 and missed a penalty. Just about sums up the subsequent 45 years 😄

Bob Latchford hat trick!

my first live game too......
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 13:10 - Jan 19 with 1200 viewsStanisgod

Born in Willesden, my uncle used to go to any London club where there was a decent game in the early sixties, Spuds fan himself, but Rangers his second club so took me to the first First Division game in 1968, age 12.
First football match so I often wonder if he'd have took me to Spuds first would I have been spared fifty odd years of pain 😁
Mind you, my dad was Chelsea til I converted him in the early seventies.
Been coming up from Basildon since 1970.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Login to get fewer ads

First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 13:15 - Jan 19 with 1193 viewswhiffer

Being born and breed in a small Somerset town, I never really followed a team in my earliest years. It was only in 1973 when my Junior School football team started playing in blue and white hoops, and one of my friends who knew more about football than me said, “these are QPR shirts — we should support them”, so I did! The shirt was definitely a factor!

Sadly, none of my school friends followed my lead, so it was only when I started college in 1979 that I meet a couple of other QPR supporters. One of them could drive, so he drove the three of us the 30-odd miles up to the old Eastville stadium (now an Ikea). The internet tells me this was 3rd November 1979 and we won 3-1, but all I remember is the Rovers fans singing “Doc, Doc, Docherty, who the fu**king hell is he?”!
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 13:17 - Jan 19 with 1191 viewswestberksr

by the time Dad was too frail to go anymore (last season) he'd clocked up 72 years going to QPR, he was a Hayes lad and the rest of his family were East Acton. Never pressured me to support QPR but the family tie and timing sealed the deal with the Sexton team and my footy decisions peaking at the same time.

As he was the local rep for the Evening News he always worked Saturday evening doing the classified edition with the footy results so had stopped going for some time. My first game was the start of 76/77 and my Gooner grandad took me to see Everton beat us 4-0, following game we beat WBA 1-0; both times sat in Ellerslie Road and I was hooked.

Dad & I had season tickets until last year in Upper Loft but his health has deteriorated to the extent he cant get up the stairs. I offered to switch to lower or paddocks but in truth it would still have been too much for him, so he declined the offer.

he still watches every game on the live stream at my expense, as was his season ticket for the past 20 years.

I'm making him suffer for as long as I can!!
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 13:38 - Jan 19 with 1163 viewsPinnerPaul

League Cup Final 67, I was 6.

Remember being there, but can't remember, and nor can my Mum, if that was my first actual live game.

Mentioned before that family come from Shepherd's Bush, both my Dad and my Mum's Mum and Dad lived round the corner from the ground and went regularly.

My Mum's Dad used to drag my Mum and her sister along to Loftus Road from quite a young age, as my Dad was 9 years older than my Mum, they reckon they must have both stood on the South Africa Road 'terrace' many times without knowing about it.

No doubt my Dad would not have entertained the thought that as a 19 year old he would one day marry that 10 year old girl watching the game with here Dad and sister!
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 14:06 - Jan 19 with 1131 viewsMyke

First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 13:07 - Jan 19 by westberksr

Bob Latchford hat trick!

my first live game too......

Yep first game after so nearly winning it, expecting to go one step further and bang! I was listening to BBC Radio (before 5 live I think), and remember thinking WTF! or something like that. Little did I know it would be a recurring theme for all my adult life. Great UEFA run though! - nowadays we would have been in the Champions League - The home game v Slovan Bratislava was one of the most thrilling I ever listened to.
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 14:23 - Jan 19 with 1108 viewsTGRRRSSS

1991 - v Everton we won 3-1, Bailey got 2 and Simon Barker the other goal, I was in East Paddock at the front as wasn't seats then.
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 14:38 - Jan 19 with 1103 viewsPinnerPaul

First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 23:06 - Jan 18 by charmr

Dad took me aged 10 Derby home facup 1970, hooked.

Not even sure I even knew who QPR were, it was all Leeds, ch#%*#a and West Ham.

Bonded with my Dad, met friends I still speak to and got to see parts of the country I never would have with great days out. Seen so much live football in every type of ground and seen great footballers. Brilliant life experiences.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2021 23:07]

1-0 win Dave McKay own goal - from my own memory NOT google's!
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 14:43 - Jan 19 with 1094 viewsPinnerPaul

First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 09:02 - Jan 19 by BrianMcCarthy

Born in Colindale. My Dad and all his friends were Rangers season ticket holders. My first game was apparently a 4-0 win over Bolton in '71 with Rodney scoring two. I wasn't even a year old. I don't think I was brought regularly for another few years.

If someone had told your Dad that his little boy would one day provide 'live' commentary on something called the internet using his own 'computer' I wonder what he would have said?!
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 14:46 - Jan 19 with 1088 viewsBrianMcCarthy

First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 14:43 - Jan 19 by PinnerPaul

If someone had told your Dad that his little boy would one day provide 'live' commentary on something called the internet using his own 'computer' I wonder what he would have said?!

"The fuggin' eejit!"

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 14:56 - Jan 19 with 1075 viewsRangersw12

Born 1983 and all my family are Rangers and all 3 of my kids are also fans which makes them 5th Generation .

My first game was March 1990 v Spurs won 3-1. We were in the first row of Ellerlise and I just couldn't believe how green the pitch was and how close the players were.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=wp9zaGBg1vo
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 14:57 - Jan 19 with 1075 viewsPinnerPaul

First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 12:11 - Jan 19 by markqpr

When I was five my parents came back from a Saturday night out with my sister and brother in law and my brother in law put on MOTD which woke me up.

I came downstairs and watched Liam Brady destroy the opposition.

I asked my brother in law what was going on and he just said 'That's football'.

Instantly I was hooked.

He explained to me about supporting teams and all that and so I asked him who I should support and he said your local team (which considering he was a Godalming living Chelsea supporter was a nice touch).

Next day I asked my Mum who our local team was and even though technically we lived slightly closer to Highbury (0.2 miles) she said 'QPR'.

I then spent the next two years begging my Mum and Dad to go to football.

Finally they relented and my brother in law took me to Loftus Road to see us throw away a 2-0 half time lead to draw with Luton.

Paul Goddard was now my hero forever and until my kids were born I was ever present at Loftus Road.

About 6 months ago I managed to buy a copy of the programme from that game, which is now framed and hung up on my wall. I got it off Ebay from a cricket club who received it in a donation from Peter Blekskey as part of 8 QPR vs. Luton programmes from the 80s & 90s.

My brother in law fell in love with us as well and we used to go together until I was old enough to go on my own and then my sister insisted he spent his Saturday afternoons with his own kids. His two boys were not that bothered about football at the time. His youngest now lives in the Bush in order to not miss a game.

QPR - sh!t but local (enough)

This is how I still remember Loftus Road as this is how it looked when I first went:

[Post edited 19 Jan 2021 12:13]

Those prices, that pitch!

I used to stand in that strange corner bit of terrace at the Loft end. We then moved to the front of the school end at some stage, before getting my first season ticket bought for me in ER after we got promoted in 72/73.

Been there ever since, not same seat, apart from a hiatus caused by children etc!
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 15:10 - Jan 19 with 1064 viewsPinnerPaul

First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 14:46 - Jan 19 by BrianMcCarthy

"The fuggin' eejit!"

First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 15:36 - Jan 19 with 1043 viewsChrisNW6

25/02/1978 - QPR 2 (Bowles, Busby)

Team: Parkes, Clement, Gillard, Hollins, Howe, Abbott, Shanks, Busby, James, Bowles, Givens

Attendance: 17,051

I was 8yrs old and my older Arsenal supporting sister took me. Remember sitting on the wall behind the goal and I was immediately hooked. Just realised my first goal was scored by Stan but I only saw him a few times and it was the end of an era for that team. Always remember being amazed at the large crowd walking back to the station. My uncle had a season ticket in SAR and he took me a few more times before we got 4 seats in the new Loftus Road Family Stand in the early 80s. Goddard and Allen were my first Rangers heroes.
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 17:35 - Jan 19 with 982 viewsMyke

First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 14:43 - Jan 19 by PinnerPaul

In the fifties, my father approached a 'venture capitalist' (his wealthy American uncle) to look for funding to open a television shop in Sligo. He was told to forget it as their would be 'no demand for that sort of thing in rural Ireland, sure most of them have no electricity'.
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 18:05 - Jan 19 with 953 viewsNorthantsHoop

QPR v Carlisle around October 1972 aged 9 for a mates birthday treat. Funny my mate and his Dad were Chelsea and at that time I supported Arsenal, so don't know why we went to QPR. My Dad supported QPR and started taking me to a games in the 75/76 season, he also knew Tony Ingham as helped out on pools and lottery side and got tickets for games I think. Living in Northolt so easy to go to Rangers on Central Line, started going regularly when starting work in early 80s and could afford a standing season ticket in the loft. Drifted away for many years from 1986 to 2014 got married, moved to Northampton, kids etc, then got the bug again after being invited to Play Off final in 2014 by Son of Northolt and have been season ticket holder in upper loft since then.
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 18:39 - Jan 19 with 926 viewssixnil

Best mate had been up the Rangers a couple of times with some friends. One of them couldn't make a game so I said yes when offered the spare ticket. 1986, 6-0 vs Scum..that was bloody good fun, wasn't it! My next match was the Milk Cup final..no fun at all...but I was hooked after that and took my place on the Rangers rollercoaster..
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 19:30 - Jan 19 with 883 viewsWren67

Every Saturday when the Rssss played at home I could hear the crowd from my house (Godolphin Road) and wished I could go.
My Christopher Wren school mates were supporting the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs but it was QPR I wanted to see. Marsh was rampant at the time. Can't remember my first game probably around 1970 accompanied by an old Christopher Wren school mate.

We stood at the school end because we were too scared to enter the Loft where all the real fans were.
Still a mad keen Rssss fan and enjoyed Eze's performances in the last couple of years.
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 01:26 - Jan 20 with 811 viewsBoston

First Game...dunno
Year...dunno
Opponent...dunno

But hooked when 50p got me an 83 bus ride from Wembley High Rd to Hanger Lane, the Central Line to White City, entry to the School End, programme...and a bag of chips from the South Africa Road Fish Bar.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024