Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Salmon v Sturgeon 18:52 - Feb 24 with 10959 viewswelwynranger

Theres something fishy going on in Scotland.
Salmon v Sturgeon on 23:42 - Mar 22 with 908 viewsCiderwithRsie

Salmon v Sturgeon on 22:07 - Mar 22 by karl

20/30 years ago anti English rhetoric was common and with me having what people think is an English accent I did experience it first hand, but it was talk/chatter, or whatever, they would insult you and be friendly straight away or certainly their mates would correct them, ironically at this time there was no appetite for independence, albeit it was developing.
Nowadays there's English people everywhere and part of most people's families to some extent, you very rarely get anything said outside of a sporting context, which is very much rabid anti English any National sports team. Of course now with this position is that there's a huge push for independence and the dislike (hatred too strong a word) is for Scots who vote for the Union.
I do think the anti English feelings are over played and there's more derogatory language used on this message board describing Scots than I see on similar Scottish ones describing the English, equally if anyone steps out of line they are corrected as well. I think some terminology can feel insulting and isn't intended but figure that works both ways, usually those using poor terminology for Scots are the ones who can be offended easiest as well.
In the sporting context, I can see that slowing down rapidly already as so many kids follow English teams so the concept of hatred is just not there, it's a sporting rivalry and since we're the huge underdogs, who were once the equal at least, it's obvious we're the most vocal about it. Pretty similar to the SW6 team in my opinion.

Thing that strikes me Karl is that there's quite a resentment of Scotland among English people - subsidy etc - which "they hate us" plays to.

I was in Scotland during IndyRef and I was a bit taken aback by some of the Nats but I also remember that just before the vote Cameron made this big thing about how Scotland would get maximum freedom inside the union but as soon as it was over all I heard about was "English Votes For English laws"

Obviously I'm not up in Scotland but I like to think that not everyone there has bought the independence idea yet but what makes me pessimistic is that English people are already writing the thing off. It's as though the people who buy the SNP propaganda most are actually the English.
Salmon v Sturgeon on 07:02 - Mar 23 with 819 viewsdistortR

Salmon v Sturgeon on 22:07 - Mar 22 by karl

20/30 years ago anti English rhetoric was common and with me having what people think is an English accent I did experience it first hand, but it was talk/chatter, or whatever, they would insult you and be friendly straight away or certainly their mates would correct them, ironically at this time there was no appetite for independence, albeit it was developing.
Nowadays there's English people everywhere and part of most people's families to some extent, you very rarely get anything said outside of a sporting context, which is very much rabid anti English any National sports team. Of course now with this position is that there's a huge push for independence and the dislike (hatred too strong a word) is for Scots who vote for the Union.
I do think the anti English feelings are over played and there's more derogatory language used on this message board describing Scots than I see on similar Scottish ones describing the English, equally if anyone steps out of line they are corrected as well. I think some terminology can feel insulting and isn't intended but figure that works both ways, usually those using poor terminology for Scots are the ones who can be offended easiest as well.
In the sporting context, I can see that slowing down rapidly already as so many kids follow English teams so the concept of hatred is just not there, it's a sporting rivalry and since we're the huge underdogs, who were once the equal at least, it's obvious we're the most vocal about it. Pretty similar to the SW6 team in my opinion.

It was your English accent that made it hard for us Manx to fully accept you.

Salmon v Sturgeon on 09:43 - Mar 23 with 749 viewskarl

Salmon v Sturgeon on 07:02 - Mar 23 by distortR

It was your English accent that made it hard for us Manx to fully accept you.

I was alright till you turned up with your Kent variant
Salmon v Sturgeon on 10:02 - Mar 23 with 739 viewsKonk

Karl - first off, there are two clubs in SW6/Fulham! And we were here 26 years before those cun ts!

I’ve spent a lot of time in Scotland over the years - primarily in Edinburgh and Glasgow, and other than in a sporting context, I’ve only heard anti-English sentiment on a handful of occasions. One of those was when a bloke in an Edinburgh pub seemed to hold me personally responsible for the deindustrialisation of Scotland - and he was soon told to shut-up and apologise by other people in the pub.

I have always felt very welcome in Scotland - people have overwhelmingly been generous, friendly and kind. I have had some brilliant nights out with locals we just got chatting with in pubs or at the football. It’s been the same for me with my visits to Wales, and yet I often hear English colleagues/friends who never visit either country, tell me how much everyone in both countries hates the English. Not in my experience. As Karl says, I probably see/hear more anti-Scottish sentiment from English people than I do the other way around - the endless shit e patter Scots in England have to put up with about being alcoholics, tight, shit diets and being told to speak English/properly. But take away the gobby ars eholes that we always notice/remember, and I think most English and Scots get on absolutely fine.

It seems to me that as Karl says, there is a desperate desire to beat England in sport, and to see England beaten in sport at every opportunity, but I don’t understand why English people struggle with that. As with QPR/Fulham and Chelsea - we both resent our bigger neighbour. We tell ourselves that all old school Chelsea fans are racist and violent; the new ones are all arrogant glory-hunters; and we ignore the thousands of decent ones who support them for family/geographical reasons because we’d sooner imagine they’re all ar seholes; because it makes them easier to dislike/hate.

And I think that’s how a lot of Scots are when it comes to English sports teams and supporters; the English are all either deluded, arrogant wa nkers, or violent racists. In the past I've hated Chelsea to the point that them beating Wigan or something would ruin my day, and I think the Anyone-but-England thing can often tip over into an unhealthy dislike/hatred when it comes to football (rugby?). My eldest brother is a Tottenham season-ticket holder: he won’t have red in the house - absolutely hates Arsenal - and yet he has good mates who are Gooners. That’s sort of how I view most Anti-English sentiment in Scotland.

Chatting with friends, colleagues and strangers who support Scottish independence, it seems to me that its support is based upon them repeatedly getting saddled with Tory governments that generally have little support in Scotland, and which have no interest in helping address Scotland’s issues. And to be fair, that is a complaint that we’ve all heard in many English regions; there's a lot of resentment of London and SE England throughout Britain. The difference being that you’re not about to see widespread support for NE England to leave England, whereas Scotland is already its own country with some devolved powers and parliament, so to some, full self-determination seems like the logical step to address Scotland’s particular needs/circumstances.

Scots can look to relatively prosperous countries of similar size for inspiration, and whilst many in England (and Scotland) are right to highlight the potential economic hit, and the nightmare of negotiating the uncoupling of Scotland from the UK, well, many of those self-same people themselves voted for Brexit, with an understanding that Brexit would be at least in the medium term, be economically damaging, divisive and extremely messy when it came to negotiations.

I think Brexit means Scotland deserves another referendum on independence - I know Scots who voted ‘No’ last time because they didn’t want to lose EU membership. Brexit changes everything for those people. That said, I hope Scotland would vote ‘No’ because to me, the UK would feel greatly - and disproportionately - diminished without it.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2021 10:24]

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Salmon v Sturgeon on 10:38 - Mar 23 with 696 viewsKonk

As for Charlie Stayt poking a bit of fun about Tory MP's recent obsession with standing in front of a forest of Union flags, or having Union flag artwork/cushions/duvet covers draped all over the gaff for remote TV interviews, ffs, it's been difficult not to notice this move to the American idea that you need 4,000sqm of flag in every room or you're not a proper patriot. Like the Tory MP telling the BBC they should have more Union flags in their review report for some inexplicable reason.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Salmon v Sturgeon on 10:42 - Mar 23 with 692 viewsMaggsinho

Salmon v Sturgeon on 10:38 - Mar 23 by Konk

As for Charlie Stayt poking a bit of fun about Tory MP's recent obsession with standing in front of a forest of Union flags, or having Union flag artwork/cushions/duvet covers draped all over the gaff for remote TV interviews, ffs, it's been difficult not to notice this move to the American idea that you need 4,000sqm of flag in every room or you're not a proper patriot. Like the Tory MP telling the BBC they should have more Union flags in their review report for some inexplicable reason.

That BBC report thing is incredible, the guy has put it up on his Twitter this morning and you can see by the look in his eyes that he thinks he's scored a winning point.

Really, really odd.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024