Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Valérien Ismaël 08:52 - Mar 4 with 3106 viewsbosh67

30 games in charge of Barnsley and they've won 19 of them I think? By far the best side that's come to us and they are fantastically fit and well drilled. Yes we had chances before they scored but every part of their game was better than ours. Not having a go at Warbs or the team, just shown how a team that knows just about every facet of their game can play.

I would say they are our bogey team but I think they are perhaps at the moment the best side in this league?

Full credit to Ismaël - he knows how to get a team working to its strengths and getting the most out of the players he has.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Valérien Ismaël on 13:05 - Mar 4 with 920 viewsBoston

Valérien Ismaël on 09:24 - Mar 4 by WokingR

Would you want to watch that every week though ?
It was a bit 'kick and rush' and seemed more like a street mugging at times

In a heartbeat, if it meant we were at the top of the table.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2021 13:06]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Valérien Ismaël on 13:54 - Mar 4 with 829 viewsdaveB

Valérien Ismaël on 12:50 - Mar 4 by simmo

Yeah I had a bit of back and forth at the time with Dave Mc, contrary as ever and demanding that Mowatt was overrated and overpriced due to his contract, ignoring the fact the price for him in January was miles lower than his true value and he would transform our midfield. We may have still had a small chance to get him in Jan due to wages and player interest, but we have absolute zero chance of getting him in the summer.

Also RE Sherwood, he never ends up here, thank goodness, but the interest has been genuine and that kind of thinking is exactly why we don't ever progress beyond our current state. There's no long term plan and if there is, it's abandoned or ruined ad-hoc. Austin is a good example, he's been great for us and seems to have galvanised the dressing room, but having to go get him in January to try and save our season is a failure of team building and planning. Similarly having to switch to a new system and formation without the requisite players to manage it. Years of this DoF system and we're still forced to rely on parachuted loans, unfit players and people out of position.

Lots of it can be excused and I'm not blind to the limitations we're working under, but then you see a team like Barnsley and you start to wonder if those excuses will keep washing as more teams sail past us.

We may well have been interested in Sherwood but we also had interest in Jackett a few times as well, I'm not convinced that has anything to do with our progress.

I get and agree with the comments about our recruitment, it does need to be better but it's also not terrible. Last summer has been made out to be catastrophic but we signed Dickie, Bonne, Dykes, Kellman, Wilock, Adomah, Thomas, Amos and Carroll. That didn't look a bad window on paper and most of them fit into the type of players we said we wanted during the Redknapp days in being young, hungry and seeing us as a step up. They haven't all worked but I don't think any of them were terrible signings. One thing we didn't get right last summer was adding the right experience which was corrected in January but overall i don't think everything at QPR is as bad as it seems.

will be interesting to see how Barnsley do next season if they miss out this year and if this a sustainable model or not. It's been impressive what they have done spending similar money to us. Huddersfield did similar a few years back but have faded away since their spell in the premier league.
Valérien Ismaël on 14:21 - Mar 4 with 795 viewsAntti_Heinola

Valérien Ismaël on 13:05 - Mar 4 by Boston

In a heartbeat, if it meant we were at the top of the table.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2021 13:06]

Well, they're not top.
Personally, I'm pretty realistic about QPR these days. With the development of football over the last 30 years, we sadly missed out on any chance of being a club that will ever compete for major honours. Essentially, winning this league is about as good as it will ever get, barring a freak season or two where maybe we make it to the UEFA Cup again one day.
With that accepted, and while I'd dearly love to win this league again, I'm here for entertainment first and foremost. If I want to watch two teams scrapping in a ten yard area around the midfield with multiple games of percentage balls and head tennis, I'll go and watch sunday league.
Not that we're massively entertaining now, but we were before lockdown last year an extremely fun side to watch. I'd take that over Barnsley's style, however successful it is. But that's me.
If it's a case of avoiding relegation, sure, whatever delivers, however!

Bare bones.

Valérien Ismaël on 14:35 - Mar 4 with 765 viewsR_from_afar

Valérien Ismaël on 09:38 - Mar 4 by CliveWilsonSaid

Agree with Dave. Every time we come up against a good side we seem to want to throw everything out of the window and become them.

I guess the first thing we should do is spend a few seasons in league 1 then?

This a million times over. Spot on.

How we feel after that Barnsley game is probably how the fans of Bournemouth, Watford and Brentford feel after we turned them over.

Although we were comfortably second best yesterday, the team never gave up and Rangers nearly scored twice in the dying embers of the game. That was a small plus for me.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Valérien Ismaël on 14:38 - Mar 4 with 760 viewsAntti_Heinola

Yeah I had a bit of back and forth at the time with Dave Mc, contrary as ever and demanding that Mowatt was overrated and overpriced due to his contract, ignoring the fact the price for him in January was miles lower than his true value and he would transform our midfield. We may have still had a small chance to get him in Jan due to wages and player interest, but we have absolute zero chance of getting him in the summer.

Also RE Sherwood, he never ends up here, thank goodness, but the interest has been genuine and that kind of thinking is exactly why we don't ever progress beyond our current state. There's no long term plan and if there is, it's abandoned or ruined ad-hoc. Austin is a good example, he's been great for us and seems to have galvanised the dressing room, but having to go get him in January to try and save our season is a failure of team building and planning. Similarly having to switch to a new system and formation without the requisite players to manage it. Years of this DoF system and we're still forced to rely on parachuted loans, unfit players and people out of position.

Lots of it can be excused and I'm not blind to the limitations we're working under, but then you see a team like Barnsley and you start to wonder if those excuses will keep washing as more teams sail past us.

I do think most clubs rely on parachuted loans in this league? Not all, but most. I'm sanguine about the Austin thing. He's been great, so he's a good signing. Yes, it was also a sign that our striking recruitment hadn't worked as well as hoped, but not sure that's a failure of planning. I think there was a clear plan, with the hopes that Dykes would be a Helguson/Hugill type who our talented forwards could play off, with Bonne as a different option. If between them they had managed 10 goals before xmas (not inc penalties) that would have been a (guarded) success. They didn't, for a host of reasons, but planning wasn't one. The planning and thought was there - but the players' impact was not.

I'm not excusing it - so far, if you were to grade both, they would be at best a C each (being generous). But Bonne scored what 7 goals last season in a struggling side? Equally, Dykes showed enough in Scotland and for Scotland that he would be a decent signing. Objectively, both signings made sense and fitted in with what MW wanted to do. At least to me. They have yet, sadly, to work out and it was obvious that we needed experience and guile up front, which Austin has provided.

I do agree - as time goes on, pressure to deliver becomes more intense. Let's say we survive this season, as we should. What then? Warbs will have negotiated a tough season, and have also come back from the brink at least once (we're about to lose a cast iron certainty 3rd in a row on sat, so pressure is about to pile on once more). We will likely say goodbye to Wallace and Cameron, losing two experienced heads. We might be forced to sell Dieng, which would be catastrophic imo, if a proper bid comes in.

Presumably, we have an outside chance of getting Austin, and a fairly decent chance of keeping Johansen and we'll sign Field. At that point, how much money is in the pot and what do we need? Certainly a full back / wing back on both sides as a priority. Is De Wijs good enough that we can go back to a back 4? In which case, a line-up of:

GK
RB Dickie De Wijs/Barbet LB
Field Johansen
Willock Chair Albert/Thomas/A.N. Other
Austin

looks a pretty handy side, with Ball, Kane, Dykes, Bonne as decent 'occasionals'.

If, however, we decide Warbs goes, or even we ditch Ferdinand and look for a new DOF (every club has someone like that now, it's pointless arguing about it anymore - it's not 1984) then you could be looking at far more major surgery.

Bare bones.

Valérien Ismaël on 23:14 - Mar 4 with 630 viewsNortholt_Rs

Valérien Ismaël on 12:25 - Mar 4 by Antti_Heinola

I've rarely seen a team that was so sure of its gameplan, and how to carry it out, than Barnsley last night. Their defenders reminded me a bit of Pulis's Boro team - every time it went near them, it was wellied, they simply did not take a single risk at the back.
But, unlike Pulis's team, they had a better plan and it was more effective. At times, you could see all 10 outfield players in a tiny part of the pitch. Crowd the ball, deny all space. A few times, particularly before they scored, we exploited this (Johansen's superb ball to Austin, for example), but generally it worked excellently.
Better teams than us would exploit that to a greater degree, but they don't have to be be the best team in the league, and playing at that intensity with that teamwork and that belief, they'll win more than they lose. Impressive, ugly, yet beautiful in its effectiveness.
It's ok to say we tried to play them at their own game, but when they deny space so well, you will play more long balls.
I thought they were very good and if they keep that up, they'll make the play-offs. Once they got ahead, it's very difficult to peg them back.
Had to laugh when Mowatt scored, reminded me of Dave Mc's tweet the other week when Clive and others were saying we could pick him up cheap - something like: 'don't get the fuss. It's only Mowatt.' Reminded me of Lovejoy's infamous 'it's only Ray Parlour' commentary in that Chelsea-Arsenal cup final.

Also quickly on Dykes: he started well, missed that chance and then seemed utterly bereft. Actually feel sorry for him at the moment.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2021 12:28]

Yeah I thought the same when he missed that chance - predictable as it was. His confidence must be shot.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Valérien Ismaël on 23:34 - Mar 4 with 613 viewsSydneyRs

Valérien Ismaël on 09:23 - Mar 4 by daveB

No way are they the best side in the league, they played well last night and we didn't, the way they play is very high risk. As good as they were we really should have gone a goal up getting in behind them twice and we looked like getting back into the game at 2-1 but the third goal killed us and they ran the clock down really well after that without ever looking in much danger.

The game could have gone either way at 2-1, was similar to the Brentford game where if they had got a 2nd goal they'd have won easily and we'd have been full of self loathing and blowing smoke up their arse asking why are we not more like them, we came back and won so that was all forgotten. As we lost this one it's a Barnsley love in and why are we not like them.

Agreed.

Can we all just settle down a bit with the Barnsley love in. We've beaten two of the top three in recent weeks and drew away to the league leaders some time ago. All better teams than Barnsley.

They've just won six in a row and are in red hot form, yes. But are still not in the top six. But for that flying run would probably be about 12th and not much better off than ourselves. Every chance, like many in this league have, that they will go on a winless run soon. We ran into Bristol City when they were in similar form, things changed there.

Yes they are doing well and on a limited budget. Similar to Brentford who've been doing it for ages. No they didn't have to undo a legacy of hugely overpaid player contracts and cope with a massive FFP fine. Its not like we aren't trying to get our house in order by following a similar strategy.

Looking at some of the commentary about yesterday, its like 1970 Brazil found a time machine and chose to use it to come to Loftus Road and do a number on QPR on a Wednesday night in an empty stadium.
Valérien Ismaël on 01:57 - Mar 5 with 549 viewsVancouverHoop

Valérien Ismaël on 12:52 - Mar 4 by TacticalR

When he scored my immediate thought was: 'When was the last time we had a player who could get a free kick over a wall?'

Freeman?
Login to get fewer ads

Valérien Ismaël on 06:51 - Mar 5 with 472 viewsnix

Valérien Ismaël on 23:34 - Mar 4 by SydneyRs

Agreed.

Can we all just settle down a bit with the Barnsley love in. We've beaten two of the top three in recent weeks and drew away to the league leaders some time ago. All better teams than Barnsley.

They've just won six in a row and are in red hot form, yes. But are still not in the top six. But for that flying run would probably be about 12th and not much better off than ourselves. Every chance, like many in this league have, that they will go on a winless run soon. We ran into Bristol City when they were in similar form, things changed there.

Yes they are doing well and on a limited budget. Similar to Brentford who've been doing it for ages. No they didn't have to undo a legacy of hugely overpaid player contracts and cope with a massive FFP fine. Its not like we aren't trying to get our house in order by following a similar strategy.

Looking at some of the commentary about yesterday, its like 1970 Brazil found a time machine and chose to use it to come to Loftus Road and do a number on QPR on a Wednesday night in an empty stadium.

An excellent point. And remembering that they would have been relegated last season were it not for the Wigan points deduction. They haven't got a completely different team, which means two things: keeping the team together for more than one season makes a big difference. And we may be only a couple of good signings away from a good team next season.

That won't happen if we start from scratch again, which is my biggest fear if people continue to dig the players and the manager out to this degree every time we lose a couple of matches, one to a team that have beaten a couple of top six sides and are on a red hot run.
Valérien Ismaël on 07:33 - Mar 5 with 458 viewspaulparker

Which ultimately comes down to the DOF

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024