Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Golf 16:37 - Mar 14 with 2482 viewsMickS

Can Lee Westwood do it?

I really do hope so. Great Sunday tv.
Golf on 17:02 - Mar 14 with 2444 viewsstowmarketrange

He played well yesterday and hasn’t dropped a shot since day 1.And he isn’t dechambeau,so I hope so too.
It’s been a good weekend for sport with the rugby,golf and the football.Just a shame we couldn’t pick at least a point yesterday but the last try at twickenham softened the blow a bit.
Golf on 17:09 - Mar 14 with 2429 viewsMickS

Golf on 23:22 - Mar 14 with 2312 viewsBenny_the_Ball

That would be no, then.
Golf on 06:19 - Mar 15 with 2259 viewsstowmarketrange

Golf on 23:22 - Mar 14 by Benny_the_Ball

That would be no, then.

The story of his career.When the pressure is on,he can’t cope.Although Thomas had a good spell around the turn.
Golf on 07:14 - Mar 15 with 2220 viewsRs_Holy

Golf on 06:19 - Mar 15 by stowmarketrange

The story of his career.When the pressure is on,he can’t cope.Although Thomas had a good spell around the turn.

... Thomas won with a -14 total, Lee started the final round on -13.... Too many loose shots cost Lee as he kept leaving himself tough putts to hold par for a lot of the final round.... Nice to see so many Brits/Europeans challenging tho :)
edit - just looked at the prize money. The $1,635,000 purse for coming second might cushion Lee's disappointment?
[Post edited 15 Mar 2021 7:20]
Golf on 08:39 - Mar 15 with 2163 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Westwood seemed a bit passive, or was I imagining that?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Golf on 09:12 - Mar 15 with 2140 viewsdanehoop

Golf on 08:39 - Mar 15 by BrianMcCarthy

Think he started to play percentage golf, looking to keep things tight, rather than attack the course like he had for previous 3 days. In that respect he probably played to his plan for the day and it put sufficient pressure on most of them around him as he wasn't dropping shots and it almost worked as a strategy. Just not sure that is something you can do with the quality of the field he was facing. I think he gave himself sufficient opportunity to win it, but the putts that were dropping the previous few days didn't seem to want to go for him today.

Having said all of that he clearly is in great form at the moment and starting to consistently put himself in the mix week in week out. Hopefully something will happen for him in the majors this year.

Never knowingly understood

Golf on 09:22 - Mar 15 with 2128 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Golf on 09:12 - Mar 15 by danehoop

Think he started to play percentage golf, looking to keep things tight, rather than attack the course like he had for previous 3 days. In that respect he probably played to his plan for the day and it put sufficient pressure on most of them around him as he wasn't dropping shots and it almost worked as a strategy. Just not sure that is something you can do with the quality of the field he was facing. I think he gave himself sufficient opportunity to win it, but the putts that were dropping the previous few days didn't seem to want to go for him today.

Having said all of that he clearly is in great form at the moment and starting to consistently put himself in the mix week in week out. Hopefully something will happen for him in the majors this year.

Good analysis, I think you're right with all of that.

I couldn't understand why he didn't attack the 17th, though. Thomas had already found the 18th fairway so Westwood really needed a birdie.

Login to get fewer ads

Golf on 09:46 - Mar 15 with 2107 viewsRs_Holy

Golf on 09:22 - Mar 15 by BrianMcCarthy

Good analysis, I think you're right with all of that.

I couldn't understand why he didn't attack the 17th, though. Thomas had already found the 18th fairway so Westwood really needed a birdie.

Agree with that but I suppose he could have chucked it all away with one shot!... Having said that Thomas got quite lucky on 18! That tee shot could easily have ended up in the drink.
Golf on 10:04 - Mar 15 with 2099 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Golf on 09:46 - Mar 15 by Rs_Holy

Agree with that but I suppose he could have chucked it all away with one shot!... Having said that Thomas got quite lucky on 18! That tee shot could easily have ended up in the drink.

All true.

Golf on 13:04 - Mar 15 with 2046 viewsTomS

He seems very relaxed in his approach to the game, which is refreshing to see. He appreciates that he has already secured his future and is enjoying being at the top end of leaderboards without the pressure of having to win.

I felt he was unlucky with his 2nd to the par 5 16th, hitting a tree and leaving himself with a really difficult bunker shot, on a hole where everyone else was getting birdies. Similarly, his putt on 17 for par could have dropped, but didn't.

I hope he earns his place on the Ryder Cup team, where his experience will be needed.
Golf on 13:15 - Mar 15 with 2037 viewsdanehoop

Golf on 13:04 - Mar 15 by TomS

He seems very relaxed in his approach to the game, which is refreshing to see. He appreciates that he has already secured his future and is enjoying being at the top end of leaderboards without the pressure of having to win.

I felt he was unlucky with his 2nd to the par 5 16th, hitting a tree and leaving himself with a really difficult bunker shot, on a hole where everyone else was getting birdies. Similarly, his putt on 17 for par could have dropped, but didn't.

I hope he earns his place on the Ryder Cup team, where his experience will be needed.

Currently the form player for the Europeans and one of the best Ryder Cup players. He will qualify automatically I'd think. If somehow he didn't you'd have to be really brave to not pick him given his record.

Never knowingly understood

Golf on 19:04 - Mar 15 with 1955 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Golf on 06:19 - Mar 15 by stowmarketrange

I would say that's fair with respect to the majors (some golfers consider the Players Championship to be the 5th major) but outside of these tournaments he has a formidable record.
Golf on 19:05 - Mar 15 with 1951 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Golf on 07:14 - Mar 15 by Rs_Holy

... Thomas won with a -14 total, Lee started the final round on -13.... Too many loose shots cost Lee as he kept leaving himself tough putts to hold par for a lot of the final round.... Nice to see so many Brits/Europeans challenging tho :)
edit - just looked at the prize money. The $1,635,000 purse for coming second might cushion Lee's disappointment?
[Post edited 15 Mar 2021 7:20]

Yes Lee will be kicking himself that he could've won the tournament by shooting 2 under par on the final day.
Golf on 19:14 - Mar 15 with 1931 viewsBenny_the_Ball

I was thinking the same Brian so you weren't imagining it. Lee has since put it down to age. Whilst I don't deny that it's tougher for Lee at 47 than it is for Justin at 27, Lee played better on the back nine. Still, $1.64million is not a bad week's work!
Golf on 19:20 - Mar 15 with 1927 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Golf on 19:05 - Mar 15 by Benny_the_Ball

Yes Lee will be kicking himself that he could've won the tournament by shooting 2 under par on the final day.

I play occasionally so I am enjoying this thread but it simply boils down to Westwood failing to birdie hole 16 a reachable par 5 in back to back tournaments .DeChambeau (the slow musclebound freak)made eagle yesterday and last week he salvaged a par while Lee parred it both times with an iron in his hand after great drives .
I was hoping he would take on that flag at 17 it was his only chance and playing safe cost him a playoff .
He is putting far better than he ever has so he might have a chance at Augusta but he better ride this hot streak the young guns are coming.
I was disappointed in the Euros yesterday they all fell away like Fitz,Sergio and Rahm .Great Tv though
Golf on 20:37 - Mar 15 with 1895 viewsstowmarketrange

Golf on 19:04 - Mar 15 by Benny_the_Ball

I would say that's fair with respect to the majors (some golfers consider the Players Championship to be the 5th major) but outside of these tournaments he has a formidable record.

But this how you measure great golfers from good ones.At the vital times in big tournaments he finds a way to lose it.He isn’t alone in that regard though.
Golf on 23:25 - Mar 15 with 1840 viewsCLAREMAN1995

I just watched his interview and he told the Golf Channel he was way off on Sunday and had the dreaded 2 way miss going .For non golfers that means he has no clue if its going left or right and that would have effected his ability to attack and score better .
So for one round Lee was just like the regular hacker no clue where the ball is going after impact.At least he got it airborne haha .
Seriously fair play to him a pure gentleman and loyal servant to Europe .Jope he can grab a Major this year it might be his last chance
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024