Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Enough Is Enough 22:32 - Apr 24 with 10999 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Excellent idea.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Enough Is Enough on 13:52 - Apr 26 with 2128 viewsW6R

Enough Is Enough on 13:47 - Apr 26 by BrixtonR

Fair play

My nan was bit tasty as well with a frying pan and on one occasion a shovel in Glenthorne Road😀
Enough Is Enough on 13:55 - Apr 26 with 2154 viewsderbyhoop

Enough Is Enough on 12:54 - Apr 26 by BazzaInTheLoft

For balance:

https://www.countbinface.com/manifesto

1.London Bridge to be renamed ‘Phoebe Waller’.
2. Ceefax to be brought back immediately.
3. Investment in 20,001 more police officers.
4. Nationalisation of the model railways (and Adele).
5. Ross Kemp to be the next poet laureate.
6. Massive expansion in recycling in all sectors except Hollywood movie plots.
7. ÂŁ1 trillion a week for the NHS.
8. Sir David Attenborough to be on the fourth plinth at Trafalgar Square (or a statue of him, I don’t mind which).
9. Any Czechs on the Irish border are to be allowed to stay there.
10. Philip Green’s estates to be used as land for social housing.
11. Piers Morgan to be zero emissions by 2030.
12. Legalisation of the hunting of fox-hunters.
13. Regeneration of the “Intu” Shopping Centre, Uxbridge.
14. Speakerphones to be banned on public transport.
15. Donald Trump’s life to be the source material for a new pantomime at the London 16. 16. Palladium, starring Julian Clary as Trump and Gary Wilmot as Barack Obama.
17. Shops that play Christmas music before December are to be closed down and turned into public libraries.
18. Abolition of the Lords (all of them this time).
19. Universal Credit to be repealed and, more importantly, renamed. (Nowhere else in the universe would enact a policy devised by Iain Duncan Smith)
20. BBC commentator on all state occasions to be Craig Charles.
21. Katie Hopkins to be banished to the Phantom Zone.
22. The hand dryer in the gents’ toilet at the Crown & Treaty, Uxbridge to be moved to a more sensible position.
23. The BBC to bring back Grandstand, no matter what sports it can afford the rights to.
24. Jacob Rees-Mogg to be prorogued.
25. New voting age limit of 16 to be introduced. New voting age limit of 80 to be introduced too.
26. Nuclear weapons: a firm public commitment to build the £100bn renewal of the Trident weapons system, followed by an equally firm private commitment not to build it. They’re secret submarines, no one will ever know. It’s a win win.
27. University tuition fees to be charged to any politician who has ever voted for university tuition fees, plus interest.
28. Stop selling arms to repressive regime. Start buying lasers from Count Binface.
29. Novelty candidates in British elections must not be controlled or exploited in any way by film producers in the United States.
30. On Brexit: there must be another referendum, about whether there should be another referendum.
31. Oh and I’ll throw in free broadband.

Fabulous manifesto. You've got my vote - if I had one.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Enough Is Enough (n/t) on 14:00 - Apr 26 with 2114 viewsBrixtonR

Enough Is Enough on 13:55 - Apr 26 by derbyhoop

Fabulous manifesto. You've got my vote - if I had one.

[Post edited 27 Apr 2021 10:02]
Enough Is Enough on 14:59 - Apr 26 with 2056 viewsFredManRave

Enough Is Enough on 12:46 - Apr 26 by Northernr

We've been deleting political threads from here for a while, and this one will go the same way if we somehow, incredibly, move it from 'the clubs are boycotting social media' through 'mental health is only a thing if you've been in a war' into a fcking party political broadcast for Laurence Fox.

So a potential enough is enough on the enough is enough thread.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Enough Is Enough (n/t) on 15:01 - Apr 26 with 2027 viewsBrixtonR

Enough Is Enough on 14:59 - Apr 26 by FredManRave

So a potential enough is enough on the enough is enough thread.

[Post edited 27 Apr 2021 10:03]
Enough Is Enough (n/t) on 15:24 - Apr 26 with 1983 viewsBrixtonR

[Post edited 27 Apr 2021 10:03]
Enough Is Enough (n/t) on 15:31 - Apr 26 with 1973 viewsBrixtonR

Enough Is Enough on 13:52 - Apr 26 by W6R

My nan was bit tasty as well with a frying pan and on one occasion a shovel in Glenthorne Road😀

[Post edited 27 Apr 2021 10:02]
Enough Is Enough on 16:53 - Apr 26 with 1901 viewsSheffieldHoop

FWIW I find it really annoying that if you want to follow U23s football in this country, you're basically forced to use Twitter. QPR vs Cov the other week? Only updates available were from Cov's twitter feed. QPR media team too busy tweeting about their trip to Rotherham that evening. Tomorrow our u23s have Sheff Weds at Harlington. Will this have updates? Maybe, who knows. Where will these updates be? Twitter, if you're lucky. It's not just us. Loads of clubs do it. Quite a few have a separate dedicated Youth/Academy twitter (eg Hull city) which usually improves the coverage - but you're still basically forced to use twitter if you want live updates.

Also kinda weird how you can watch season review DVDs on QPR's Facebook page for free, but not on the club's own official website when you have a subscription that you pay for. I was delighted to see 03-04 all over again, but why the hell did it take a pandemic for someone to bother ripping the DVD and stick it on facebook? This stuff should just be on the official website, and behind a paywall, if the club feels it would help with income.

Clubs have basically created this situation themselves by being overly reliant on social media, and simultaneously being shit at their own in-house stuff. So now we have this faux boycott ending at 23:59 on a public holiday - and we're all supposed to care - when they shouldn't be so balls deep in it in the first place.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Login to get fewer ads

Enough Is Enough on 18:06 - Apr 26 with 1815 viewsBrixtonR

Enough Is Enough on 16:53 - Apr 26 by SheffieldHoop

FWIW I find it really annoying that if you want to follow U23s football in this country, you're basically forced to use Twitter. QPR vs Cov the other week? Only updates available were from Cov's twitter feed. QPR media team too busy tweeting about their trip to Rotherham that evening. Tomorrow our u23s have Sheff Weds at Harlington. Will this have updates? Maybe, who knows. Where will these updates be? Twitter, if you're lucky. It's not just us. Loads of clubs do it. Quite a few have a separate dedicated Youth/Academy twitter (eg Hull city) which usually improves the coverage - but you're still basically forced to use twitter if you want live updates.

Also kinda weird how you can watch season review DVDs on QPR's Facebook page for free, but not on the club's own official website when you have a subscription that you pay for. I was delighted to see 03-04 all over again, but why the hell did it take a pandemic for someone to bother ripping the DVD and stick it on facebook? This stuff should just be on the official website, and behind a paywall, if the club feels it would help with income.

Clubs have basically created this situation themselves by being overly reliant on social media, and simultaneously being shit at their own in-house stuff. So now we have this faux boycott ending at 23:59 on a public holiday - and we're all supposed to care - when they shouldn't be so balls deep in it in the first place.

Spot on.
Enough Is Enough on 18:08 - Apr 26 with 1829 viewsPaddyhoops

There will always be faceless f** kwits out there. A four day ban will probably change nothing.
Let's be honest were all, Brian and a few others apart on here protecting our identities .
However I've never trolled or giving abuse to anybody, same as millions of others.
Surely, in a sane world anybody on social media should be traceable and should be required to register their details before joining.
I doubt for whatever reasons it will happen.
Enough Is Enough on 20:11 - Apr 26 with 1744 viewsCiderwithRsie

Good post
Enough Is Enough on 20:54 - Apr 26 with 1694 viewsdaveB

I don't think the coming off social media thing is really aimed at fans, it's for the social media companies to change as for a few days they'll possibly see a drop in revenue. If all football fans did the same this weekend it would be interesting to see if this speeds up change
Enough Is Enough on 12:35 - Apr 27 with 1560 viewsSheffieldHoop

Enough Is Enough on 20:54 - Apr 26 by daveB

I don't think the coming off social media thing is really aimed at fans, it's for the social media companies to change as for a few days they'll possibly see a drop in revenue. If all football fans did the same this weekend it would be interesting to see if this speeds up change

I agree, I don't think it's aimed at fans, it would be a bit stupid to go pointing fingers at fans. Especially at this particular moment in football where I think a lot of "Legacy fans" are fast running out of sympathy for the people who run our football leagues and clubs. I agree it's aimed at social media companies. But these are companies selling a product that has been co-opted by football clubs. Social media does not need football clubs to use or engage with it any more than it needs Coca-Cola or Honda. And it doesn't need them anywhere near as much as its almost unbelievable numbers of active users. Football, and business, only jumped in on social media for views, which they could get because of the high number of active users. Now they've realised a lot of the users can't be trusted to play nice, they're arranging a boycott, to try and convince Twitter to reduce their total number of active users. Hmmm.

What value does social media add to QPR? Appeal and reach? To who exactly? Do they buy tickets, go to games? Are away attendances up, suggesting fans are more engaged than before? Has the club been losing less money since it started using social media as the primary method of communication with fans? Is it partly a nice easy way for the comms team to get their job done without too much technical stuff, look good while doing it and eventually move on to bigger and better things? (Ian Taylor set the trend, others have followed)

If football clubs think Twitter values their presence, why don't they boycott it until twitter agrees to pay them a licence fee for the content?

Enough Is Enough on 13:06 - Apr 27 with 1526 viewsNorthernr

Enough Is Enough on 12:35 - Apr 27 by SheffieldHoop

I agree, I don't think it's aimed at fans, it would be a bit stupid to go pointing fingers at fans. Especially at this particular moment in football where I think a lot of "Legacy fans" are fast running out of sympathy for the people who run our football leagues and clubs. I agree it's aimed at social media companies. But these are companies selling a product that has been co-opted by football clubs. Social media does not need football clubs to use or engage with it any more than it needs Coca-Cola or Honda. And it doesn't need them anywhere near as much as its almost unbelievable numbers of active users. Football, and business, only jumped in on social media for views, which they could get because of the high number of active users. Now they've realised a lot of the users can't be trusted to play nice, they're arranging a boycott, to try and convince Twitter to reduce their total number of active users. Hmmm.

What value does social media add to QPR? Appeal and reach? To who exactly? Do they buy tickets, go to games? Are away attendances up, suggesting fans are more engaged than before? Has the club been losing less money since it started using social media as the primary method of communication with fans? Is it partly a nice easy way for the comms team to get their job done without too much technical stuff, look good while doing it and eventually move on to bigger and better things? (Ian Taylor set the trend, others have followed)

If football clubs think Twitter values their presence, why don't they boycott it until twitter agrees to pay them a licence fee for the content?

Interesting debate mate.

'Reach' is right. The way things have evolved (I miss Ask Jeeves personally) Twitter and Facebook have gathered enormous power in being the primary place many people get their news and content from, and now of course have all sorts of algorythms so they can decide and influence what you see and what you don't. QPR will know what I know running this site, that 80% of the traffic for our articles now comes from socials. Ten years ago 80% of the clicks on a LFW match report would have come via the message board, or people coming directly to the website through their browser. Now the vast majority of our traffic comes via Twitter. That's the reason I'm still on there, despite all the negatives it's brought for me.

The question is, if I did delete the account, and just posted stuff on here in my own little corner of the internet, would the people who previously found the site through Twitter come here? Or would they assume I just wasn't doing it any more? Probably the latter, I suspect we'd lose loads of traffic.

For the club, yeh there's probably a degree of media team career progression like you say. But the club also has to get messages out about tickets etc, and you reach more people doing that through Twitter. Again, interesting to know if the club just stopped using it whether people would go to the offish to find out, or whether it would simply reach fewer people, sell fewer tickets, fewer hats, shirts or whatever they're pushing this week.

On the 'why do they put it on Facebook and YouTube and not the offish' again I'm largely with you, because I think all the old season videos and things like that should be avail on the offish in a proper archive. But I suspect the answer might simply be income. You can monetise Facebook videos and YouTube subscriptions. The media team is a cash negative bit of the business - it's not like commercial, marketing, merchandise, ticketing who will have targets for the year, the media team basically does nothing but spend money on staff, kit, travel. Any bit of cash they can generate and put back probably helps them avoid Lee Hoos' pointy finger when they go asking for new hires and things.

What they'd like is these platforms to use their considerable power and technology - that would spot, delete and ban my fairly meagre account and its IP address within a few minutes should I ever dare to post some unlicensed highlights - to do a little bit more when one of their black employees missing a penalty provokes a sea of monkey emojis. Will a boycott hurt Twitter? Probably not, drop in the ocean stuff. But at the same time it's not a particularly big or unreasonable request. It's not very difficult for the platforms to do more than they do atm which amounts to less than zero. So while it won't impact them massively, it might hopefully encourage them to do a very small, very easy thing, which they already have the tech and capabilities to do.
Enough Is Enough on 14:04 - Apr 27 with 1458 viewsdaveB

Enough Is Enough on 12:35 - Apr 27 by SheffieldHoop

Stan Collymore had a good idea the other day suggesting FIFA set up their own social media where you need to register to sign up and would feature all clubs and all footballers.

I'd agree the chances of this bothering Twitter and Facebook is small but if others follow suit it will have an impact, how long before other sports and industries follow what football are planning to do this weekend.

The appeal to QPR for being on is that Social media is just a massive marketing tool now, a chance to promote your brand direct to someone's phone/computer anywhere in the world for free
Enough Is Enough on 14:21 - Apr 27 with 1426 viewsEsox_Lucius

Enough Is Enough on 12:46 - Apr 26 by Northernr

We've been deleting political threads from here for a while, and this one will go the same way if we somehow, incredibly, move it from 'the clubs are boycotting social media' through 'mental health is only a thing if you've been in a war' into a fcking party political broadcast for Laurence Fox.

Lozza Fox, was described on Twitter as looking like an overw@nked penis. It certainly made me laugh with it's accuracy.

The grass is always greener.

Enough Is Enough on 15:55 - Apr 27 with 1354 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I can see why the club uses twitter for a lot of things but I don’t like it when that means that I’m excluded (as a non-user). For instance I just tried to vote in the GOTM competition but it seems to be only open to twitter users which seems a bit off to me.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Enough Is Enough on 16:32 - Apr 27 with 1317 viewsSheffieldHoop

Enough Is Enough on 13:06 - Apr 27 by Northernr

Interesting debate mate.

'Reach' is right. The way things have evolved (I miss Ask Jeeves personally) Twitter and Facebook have gathered enormous power in being the primary place many people get their news and content from, and now of course have all sorts of algorythms so they can decide and influence what you see and what you don't. QPR will know what I know running this site, that 80% of the traffic for our articles now comes from socials. Ten years ago 80% of the clicks on a LFW match report would have come via the message board, or people coming directly to the website through their browser. Now the vast majority of our traffic comes via Twitter. That's the reason I'm still on there, despite all the negatives it's brought for me.

The question is, if I did delete the account, and just posted stuff on here in my own little corner of the internet, would the people who previously found the site through Twitter come here? Or would they assume I just wasn't doing it any more? Probably the latter, I suspect we'd lose loads of traffic.

For the club, yeh there's probably a degree of media team career progression like you say. But the club also has to get messages out about tickets etc, and you reach more people doing that through Twitter. Again, interesting to know if the club just stopped using it whether people would go to the offish to find out, or whether it would simply reach fewer people, sell fewer tickets, fewer hats, shirts or whatever they're pushing this week.

On the 'why do they put it on Facebook and YouTube and not the offish' again I'm largely with you, because I think all the old season videos and things like that should be avail on the offish in a proper archive. But I suspect the answer might simply be income. You can monetise Facebook videos and YouTube subscriptions. The media team is a cash negative bit of the business - it's not like commercial, marketing, merchandise, ticketing who will have targets for the year, the media team basically does nothing but spend money on staff, kit, travel. Any bit of cash they can generate and put back probably helps them avoid Lee Hoos' pointy finger when they go asking for new hires and things.

What they'd like is these platforms to use their considerable power and technology - that would spot, delete and ban my fairly meagre account and its IP address within a few minutes should I ever dare to post some unlicensed highlights - to do a little bit more when one of their black employees missing a penalty provokes a sea of monkey emojis. Will a boycott hurt Twitter? Probably not, drop in the ocean stuff. But at the same time it's not a particularly big or unreasonable request. It's not very difficult for the platforms to do more than they do atm which amounts to less than zero. So while it won't impact them massively, it might hopefully encourage them to do a very small, very easy thing, which they already have the tech and capabilities to do.

I remember when this site was run from an old Nokia, so when I read the news that it can't function without being pushed on Twitter, that was a big surprise for me. If 80% of your article clicks come from socials, does that mean you saw an 80% increase in views of this site around the time you launched the socials? Or does it mean, same traffic, different routing? Guess a mixture of the two.

I can accept that a lot of people use social media as their primary source of internet. QPR posting information on Social media that you can't find anywhere else contributes to that. I'm sure twitter never approached QPR and asked them for exclusivity on certain information. So why have we given it to them?

I'm not saying the club shouldn't use twitter and facebook to promote kit sales and stuff, but there's a difference between using it as an advertising tool, and using it as a primary means of communication with fans. I do think the club should have an official page on these sites, for all sorts of reasons, but its about how they use it. If for example the club is pushing scarves, you still normally end up at the QPR online store. If the club wants to post a statement on socials, it should go back to a statement on the official club website. If the club posts an u23 lineup on twitter, it should route back to the corresponding page on the club website. Like how most stuff that you post on socials, leads the reader back to this site.

Youtube is another funny one. That club youtube channel has the potential to be huge, and even a net earner for the club, if it's done properly and produces good content. But everyone's too obsessed with what's happening on twitter. The fact they have an official club podcast (Not heard from it in a few months tbf) but don't bother to upload it to the youtube. The fact we have a fan in James Allcott who has a bigger youtube presence than QPR the actual football club, tells you something.

re: the last para. I'm not as convinced that they have this technology ready to go as you are. Sure, they can spot videos and sound clips, following years of development trying to bust pirates, but understanding the context and meaning of a tweet containing emojis is not exactly a strong point for AI, especially if the reason it's suddenly become obviously offensive is that someone missed a penalty in a real world second division football match 5 minutes ago.

The idea they currently do less than Zero is not true given that your inbox on Facebook, Insta etc has a filter. When BOS was abused after Norwich, you can tell from his screenshot, he was looking behind that filter. Twitter has options for verified users to avoid tweets from non-verified users, which most players can easily get through the PFA.

But yeh, I'm all for the boycott, I'm just against the idea they should ever be going back.

Enough Is Enough on 16:48 - Apr 27 with 1299 viewsSheffieldHoop

Enough Is Enough on 14:04 - Apr 27 by daveB

Stan Collymore had a good idea the other day suggesting FIFA set up their own social media where you need to register to sign up and would feature all clubs and all footballers.

I'd agree the chances of this bothering Twitter and Facebook is small but if others follow suit it will have an impact, how long before other sports and industries follow what football are planning to do this weekend.

The appeal to QPR for being on is that Social media is just a massive marketing tool now, a chance to promote your brand direct to someone's phone/computer anywhere in the world for free

I reckon people would sign up, use it for about 20 minutes, and never log back in again. What happened with Sport Lobster? This kinda stuff has been tried before.

Twitter's key asset is 330 million (330 Million, yep) active user accounts. If they now start demanding people link it to a government ID or face their account being deleted (and presumably it would mean 1 ID = 1 account, or it's pointless) how much is that 330 million going to shrink by?

Enough Is Enough on 14:12 - Apr 29 with 1158 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Hoos speaks.

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/lets-make-r-stand-together-290421/

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Enough Is Enough on 22:33 - Apr 29 with 1046 viewsslmrstid

I've been following this story with interest this week, and its really snowballed through the week and now it seems pretty much every sport in Britain is joining in this weekend

The abuse, both racial and non-racial, that sportspeople receive makes me so angry that I'm more than happy to sign up to the clubs appeal for fans to join in this weekend - my social media accounts (Facebook and Instagram) will be logged off at 3pm tomorrow til I get up on Tuesday.

Its easy to be cynical that its a drop in the ocean and wont make a difference...but we've seen just recently how the ordinary man and woman can make a difference when they stand together and say "no more". And if you dont try you will never know.

I hope to read next week news stories of social media traffic being hugely down over the weekend. Maybe it will, maybe it wont, but I'm more than happy to stand with British sport and switch off this weekend
Enough Is Enough on 22:54 - Apr 29 with 1029 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The Sun has also pledged to participate ruining any chance of this well meaning campaign being taken seriously.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2021 23:03]
Enough Is Enough on 14:05 - Apr 30 with 874 viewsdaveB

Enough Is Enough on 16:48 - Apr 27 by SheffieldHoop

I reckon people would sign up, use it for about 20 minutes, and never log back in again. What happened with Sport Lobster? This kinda stuff has been tried before.

Twitter's key asset is 330 million (330 Million, yep) active user accounts. If they now start demanding people link it to a government ID or face their account being deleted (and presumably it would mean 1 ID = 1 account, or it's pointless) how much is that 330 million going to shrink by?

If it shrinks to get rid of the people guilty of bullying, sexism and racism then that would be a good thing.
Enough Is Enough on 14:38 - Apr 30 with 839 viewskarl

Enough Is Enough on 14:05 - Apr 30 by daveB

If it shrinks to get rid of the people guilty of bullying, sexism and racism then that would be a good thing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/hibs-hero-co

It's going to be interesting where this all leads to.
Conrad is right and obviously something that hurt him to still have those recordings.
Enough Is Enough on 19:53 - May 1 with 712 viewsSheffieldHoop

Enough Is Enough on 14:05 - Apr 30 by daveB

Overly simplistic take there Dave. Like saying "If the UK shrunk to get rid of the people who have committed a crime that would be a good thing." - Which is obviously going to be problematic.

I noticed BT covering this boycott quite extensively one minute, and the next minute showing an advert for Tyson Fury, the well-known twitter troll. Had to laugh. Rio Ferdinand also has an interesting twitter history. And this is part of the problem. Nobody is perfect, most "active users" will have posted something that someone else could represent as being abuse if they want to. Whether they're talking about football, politics, k-pop, whatever. Who then gets to decide what is "abuse" vs "low-quality feedback"? - Another can of worms.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024