Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why the media love-in? 20:08 - May 5 with 4588 viewssupahoopsa

A week or so ago the "BIG SIX" were the antichrist of football and everyone in the media were (quite rightly) putting the boot in.

But this week Man City and Chelscum are in the champions league semi final and all of a sudden there is a massive media love-in for these two and everyone should be backing them as English teams. Bloomin hypocrites

Bollox to that, backing Real all the way tonight

Blue & White hooped blood runs through the family

Why the media love-in? on 13:15 - May 6 with 1139 viewsSharpy36

Why the media love-in? on 12:45 - May 6 by StanFan

I hate them. Both Chelsea and City are where they are because they bought success when it was allowed, before the football world was designed to stop less rich clubs doing the same. They are the epitome of everything that is wrong with football.

It also bugs me that Pep is described as a genius because he can get a collection of the most valuable players on the planet to play nice football and win some trophies.

Saturdays 606`s leading question was poised by chief stirrer Robbie savage who proclaimed Pep was the greatest manager of all time.

Switched off

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

Why the media love-in? on 13:33 - May 6 with 1117 viewsSharpy36

Why the media love-in? on 23:51 - May 5 by stowmarketrange

I know it’s a bit dramatic but every time those scum are successful it hammers another nail in our coffin.How are we going to replace all us 40,50 and 60 year fans when we’re not around any more?
You can’t convince a local kid to come and pay to see his local team play in the championship when they can follow a team that regularly wins things?They might not ever see them play,but they’ll buy the shirts that are probably more popular in west london than ours.
With Fulham turning into a yo-yo club and brentford possibly getting in the premier league,our future looks increasing bleak in 10 or 20 years time.Loyalty only worked for most of us when we started following this club because it was something either your family or friends at school did.

How will that work if all their mates follow the scum on the tv?But where are we going to get our support from in the next few years if the teams around us are all more successful than us?
[Post edited 6 May 2021 10:17]

Not sure what the club has done in recent years regarding bringing the next generation of fans through the door.
London has on it`s doorstep Counties that by and large have a serious lack of pro teams, Kent, Sussex and Surrey sping to mind surely there are ways to entise youngsters from these areas. Charlton run the Valley express picking up fans across Kent, it used to be free, but now it`s a tenner, so possibly something there ?. Ferrying in say half a dozen coaches of youth teams from these area`s, given them an area of the SEnd and a match day experience, tour, lunch. programme etc might be start.

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

Why the media love-in? on 13:40 - May 6 with 1102 viewsAntti_Heinola

Why the media love-in? on 11:23 - May 6 by francisbowles

Your absolutely correct. Our longer term future is very precarious. A lot of FL clubs are 'one town teams' and are therefore are always going to have a local support. We are surrounded by 'bigger' neighbours, most of our local support has moved away and their descendants don't have that local affinity. A lot of clubs face the challenge of getting their supporters to turn up. We have/will increasingly have to find our support before the challenge of getting them through the gates.

I'm not convinced by this.
People have been saying this for as long as I've watched football (over 40 years) and it's never come true - attendances remain high and there's only so many fans you can get into grounds.
If QPR have a successful team, you'll fill a big-ish stadium (and football fans forget, I think, just how big getting even 12,000 to a Div 2 game really is in the context of literally any other sport) and if they're not, a hardcore will always remain.
People actually forget there were games in the early 90s that i went to in the top flight where we'd only get 10,000.
There's a lot of slagging off of Sky but a lot of romanticism about what football was really like in the 80s. As a kid (ie: about 8) I almost got the sh!t kicked out of me at non league Corby once.
Its a different threat to the game now of course, but i actually think clubs like ours with proper links to the community will do well.

Bare bones.

Why the media love-in? on 13:42 - May 6 with 1092 viewsNorthernr

Why the media love-in? on 13:40 - May 6 by Antti_Heinola

I'm not convinced by this.
People have been saying this for as long as I've watched football (over 40 years) and it's never come true - attendances remain high and there's only so many fans you can get into grounds.
If QPR have a successful team, you'll fill a big-ish stadium (and football fans forget, I think, just how big getting even 12,000 to a Div 2 game really is in the context of literally any other sport) and if they're not, a hardcore will always remain.
People actually forget there were games in the early 90s that i went to in the top flight where we'd only get 10,000.
There's a lot of slagging off of Sky but a lot of romanticism about what football was really like in the 80s. As a kid (ie: about 8) I almost got the sh!t kicked out of me at non league Corby once.
Its a different threat to the game now of course, but i actually think clubs like ours with proper links to the community will do well.

TBF mate it's not hard to get the sht kicked out of you in Corby. Wild place.
The Wetherspoons, The Corby Candle, is a full percentage point on the national violent crime statistics.
Why the media love-in? on 14:01 - May 6 with 1048 viewsAntti_Heinola

Why the media love-in? on 12:45 - May 6 by StanFan

I hate them. Both Chelsea and City are where they are because they bought success when it was allowed, before the football world was designed to stop less rich clubs doing the same. They are the epitome of everything that is wrong with football.

It also bugs me that Pep is described as a genius because he can get a collection of the most valuable players on the planet to play nice football and win some trophies.

It bugs me that people think that what Guardiola does is somehow easy. If that's the case, why not put Micah Richards in charge? Or me?
If you read anything about him, you'll see the work and thought he puts into every match, at Barca he pretty much invented a new style of football. everyone told him Pedro and Busquets weren't ever going to be good enough and he took them from the B Team and made them into stars. He's managing big clubs with ig budgets because there aren't many better than him in the world at all the facets of managing. Few managers have brought more influential and tactical changes to the game than him.

Bare bones.

Why the media love-in? on 14:24 - May 6 with 1024 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Why the media love-in? on 14:01 - May 6 by Antti_Heinola

It bugs me that people think that what Guardiola does is somehow easy. If that's the case, why not put Micah Richards in charge? Or me?
If you read anything about him, you'll see the work and thought he puts into every match, at Barca he pretty much invented a new style of football. everyone told him Pedro and Busquets weren't ever going to be good enough and he took them from the B Team and made them into stars. He's managing big clubs with ig budgets because there aren't many better than him in the world at all the facets of managing. Few managers have brought more influential and tactical changes to the game than him.

Agree completely.

All that and his teams are great to watch, too. He's the best manager in my time watching football.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Why the media love-in? on 14:30 - May 6 with 1004 viewsdaveB

agree completely, he's an incredible manager, the way he gets his teams playing and how he improves players he is up there as one of the best ever for me. of course he's had a ton of money to spent but so did Ferguson
Why the media love-in? on 14:41 - May 6 with 978 viewsNorthantsHoop

Why the media love-in? on 23:51 - May 5 by stowmarketrange

I know it’s a bit dramatic but every time those scum are successful it hammers another nail in our coffin.How are we going to replace all us 40,50 and 60 year fans when we’re not around any more?
You can’t convince a local kid to come and pay to see his local team play in the championship when they can follow a team that regularly wins things?They might not ever see them play,but they’ll buy the shirts that are probably more popular in west london than ours.
With Fulham turning into a yo-yo club and brentford possibly getting in the premier league,our future looks increasing bleak in 10 or 20 years time.Loyalty only worked for most of us when we started following this club because it was something either your family or friends at school did.

How will that work if all their mates follow the scum on the tv?But where are we going to get our support from in the next few years if the teams around us are all more successful than us?
[Post edited 6 May 2021 10:17]

Stowmarket you make some excellent points, this is a major concern, where will a big majority of our fans come from once the baby boomer generation, which probably makes up most of our crowd no longer turn up. We don't have the marketing appeal and dare I say it the facilities to compete with our neighbours. Even in the good old days of the 70s and 80s there was a fair amount of competition on attending other clubs in West London and people could pick and choose and go to different clubs each week, but that is not the case anymore.
Login to get fewer ads

Why the media love-in? on 15:43 - May 6 with 923 viewsAntti_Heinola

Why the media love-in? on 13:33 - May 6 by Sharpy36

Not sure what the club has done in recent years regarding bringing the next generation of fans through the door.
London has on it`s doorstep Counties that by and large have a serious lack of pro teams, Kent, Sussex and Surrey sping to mind surely there are ways to entise youngsters from these areas. Charlton run the Valley express picking up fans across Kent, it used to be free, but now it`s a tenner, so possibly something there ?. Ferrying in say half a dozen coaches of youth teams from these area`s, given them an area of the SEnd and a match day experience, tour, lunch. programme etc might be start.

The club's local communty work is likely 1000 times more effective than sending a couple of buses out to Slough every other saturday imo. the club wins award after award for this stuff - the idea it's not doing much for new potential new fans is miles wide of the mark.

Bare bones.

Why the media love-in? on 16:15 - May 6 with 899 viewsrsonist

I really don't know how much clearer it can be after he literally just put on a clinic against the other richest club around who were a rabble of petulant individuals. If anyone in the world should appreciate that money cannot buy a team it's us...
Why the media love-in? on 16:24 - May 6 with 885 viewsMick_S

Why the media love-in? on 11:34 - May 6 by Northernr

As I said in the piece I wrote the other week - all the newspapers and broadcasters who were up in arms about the Super League would have covered it and bid for its rights, all the pundits spitting bile down the camera about it would have worked on it covering the games.

Bang on. Nothing changes, nothing will change.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Why the media love-in? on 16:29 - May 6 with 876 viewsE15Hoop

Why the media love-in? on 16:15 - May 6 by rsonist

I really don't know how much clearer it can be after he literally just put on a clinic against the other richest club around who were a rabble of petulant individuals. If anyone in the world should appreciate that money cannot buy a team it's us...

..And let us not forget that in Raheem Sterling we have a fantastic advert for QPR's youth development programme getting lots of love and attention from a worldwide audience.

He's been very clear on how important Steve Gallen was in his progression, and with this and Ebere Eze's England U21 goal the other week, it gives us a shot of some reflected glory at least.
Why the media love-in? on 16:43 - May 6 with 848 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Why the media love-in? on 15:43 - May 6 by Antti_Heinola

The club's local communty work is likely 1000 times more effective than sending a couple of buses out to Slough every other saturday imo. the club wins award after award for this stuff - the idea it's not doing much for new potential new fans is miles wide of the mark.

Agreed.

On a recent podcast, a comment that Rangers were not doing enough in the community had me flummoxed. I was full of flummoxes. Flummoxes all over the place.

Why the media love-in? on 16:43 - May 6 with 847 viewsNorthernr

Why the media love-in? on 16:43 - May 6 by BrianMcCarthy

Agreed.

On a recent podcast, a comment that Rangers were not doing enough in the community had me flummoxed. I was full of flummoxes. Flummoxes all over the place.

Was Finney talking about his Ladbroke Grove billboards again?
Why the media love-in? on 16:54 - May 6 with 838 viewsSott

Why the media love-in? on 16:15 - May 6 by rsonist

Still hasn't got through to mark Hughes, although unemployment really should be a clue
Why the media love-in? on 17:02 - May 6 with 832 viewsdaveB

Why the media love-in? on 13:33 - May 6 by Sharpy36

Club do a lot to bring kids in. The Fan Zone before games is superb as are the soccer schools they do. When you get in the ground the family Stand is moaned about a lot but they do loads for kids in that area to keep them interested and engaged from the Spark Bingo Card ticking off goals, throw ins, corners etc to meeting the mascots and having community trust staff high fiving the kids after games and thanking them for coming. All things easily scoffed at but keeps kids wanting to come back and parents wanting to take them.

The next step is the harder one in keeping them interested when they are teenagers and really the only way you do that is to have a good team and good seasons to give them experiences and high points they are going to always want to come back and enjoy again.
Why the media love-in? on 17:08 - May 6 with 821 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Why the media love-in? on 16:43 - May 6 by Northernr

Was Finney talking about his Ladbroke Grove billboards again?

It may well have been Paul, ya!

Why the media love-in? on 17:27 - May 6 with 796 viewsmikeygunn

Why the media love-in? on 13:42 - May 6 by Northernr

TBF mate it's not hard to get the sht kicked out of you in Corby. Wild place.
The Wetherspoons, The Corby Candle, is a full percentage point on the national violent crime statistics.

Leave the corby candle out of it, I used to go there for a couple of pints on my lunch break at school!
Why the media love-in? on 17:32 - May 6 with 785 viewsAntti_Heinola

Agreed.

yeah i heard that. Baffling.

Bare bones.

Why the media love-in? on 17:45 - May 6 with 762 viewsTacticalR

Agreed.

If you get flummoxed you can always flounce.

Air hostess clique

Why the media love-in? on 14:01 - May 7 with 619 viewsQPR_John

Why the media love-in? on 16:29 - May 6 by E15Hoop

..And let us not forget that in Raheem Sterling we have a fantastic advert for QPR's youth development programme getting lots of love and attention from a worldwide audience.

He's been very clear on how important Steve Gallen was in his progression, and with this and Ebere Eze's England U21 goal the other week, it gives us a shot of some reflected glory at least.

If only we did have an advert. How many times have you heard anybody in the media mentioning us when talking about Sterling
Why the media love-in? on 14:15 - May 7 with 584 viewsWegerles_Stairs

He's clearly a great manager of teams with the most resource in their respective leagues. However, I'd like to see what he could do with an average Premier League team or even a Championship team. The way football has gone, particularly over the last decade, if you're managing the likes of Bayern, then it's more noteworthy if you don't win the league, rather than when you do.
[Post edited 7 May 2021 14:17]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024