Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing 14:05 - Jul 7 with 10015 viewsNorthernr

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/55256
QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 02:02 - Jul 8 with 2695 viewsVancouverHoop

QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 17:01 - Jul 7 by Northernr

He's cheap. That's the key here. We need a bench dwelling keeper, if that's not Barnes then why the fck they're keeping him around I don't know (this is the bit that puzzles me more than any of it, what is Dillon Barnes for?), but Archer is clearly cheap. He couldn't get a club after Millwall, he's sat on Fulham's reserves' bench for a year, on the rare occasions he has played he's been crap (and I have watched him). He's cheap. We're extending ourselves for Austin, possibly Johansen as well, you need a really cheap option for your bench sitting keeper and here it is. Whether he's a nice lad (who knows), or even any good (he's not), is secondary and tertiary I suspect.

OK, but there must be something else about him. Even "cheap" costs something, and it isn't as if there aren't other cheap keepers available from elsewhere, assuming that we need one.
QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 09:23 - Jul 8 with 2567 viewsMyke

Did we get a fee for Kelly?
QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 09:29 - Jul 8 with 2551 viewsfrancisbowles

QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 09:23 - Jul 8 by Myke

Did we get a fee for Kelly?

Thought to be £350k with some small add ons.
QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 10:49 - Jul 8 with 2496 viewsderbyhoop

QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 17:01 - Jul 7 by Northernr

He's cheap. That's the key here. We need a bench dwelling keeper, if that's not Barnes then why the fck they're keeping him around I don't know (this is the bit that puzzles me more than any of it, what is Dillon Barnes for?), but Archer is clearly cheap. He couldn't get a club after Millwall, he's sat on Fulham's reserves' bench for a year, on the rare occasions he has played he's been crap (and I have watched him). He's cheap. We're extending ourselves for Austin, possibly Johansen as well, you need a really cheap option for your bench sitting keeper and here it is. Whether he's a nice lad (who knows), or even any good (he's not), is secondary and tertiary I suspect.

We were never going to be paying out big bucks for a bench warning keeper. The likelihood is that Walsh goes out on loan to gain serious experience.

That leaves us needing 3 senior keepers Dieng, Archer and Barnes. In that scenario Barnes makes some sense. And, if Archer is cheap, what do you think we're paying Barnes?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 12:48 - Jul 8 with 2407 viewsCorbyQPR

Quite a versatile keeper I heard, many strings to his bow. (Sorry)
QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 13:10 - Jul 8 with 2392 viewsNoDiddley

QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 12:48 - Jul 8 by CorbyQPR

Quite a versatile keeper I heard, many strings to his bow. (Sorry)

Need to sign a Fletcher now
QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 13:14 - Jul 8 with 2392 viewsNorthernr

QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 10:49 - Jul 8 by derbyhoop

We were never going to be paying out big bucks for a bench warning keeper. The likelihood is that Walsh goes out on loan to gain serious experience.

That leaves us needing 3 senior keepers Dieng, Archer and Barnes. In that scenario Barnes makes some sense. And, if Archer is cheap, what do you think we're paying Barnes?

Well, personally, from my obvious vast experience of managing football squads, I would have thought a first choice, a second choice, a third choice out on loan, and your U23 goalkeepers, should be plenty.
QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 13:32 - Jul 8 with 2370 viewsBrianMcCarthy

QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 13:14 - Jul 8 by Northernr

Well, personally, from my obvious vast experience of managing football squads, I would have thought a first choice, a second choice, a third choice out on loan, and your U23 goalkeepers, should be plenty.

I wonder could one factor in their thinking be that our keepers are integral to our attacking and possession as much as our defending, and that in the event of the first two choices being unavailable the management would prefer to bring in our fully-integrated No.3 rather than an U-23 keeper who's not yet fully up to speed or a loan player who doesn't know how and/or can't play our style.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 13:45 - Jul 8 with 2362 viewsderbyhoop

QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 13:14 - Jul 8 by Northernr

Even England have 2 keepers on the bench, so there is a long history of 3 keepers in the squad.
We released 2 in the summer (Brzowski & ?..); + Lumley & Kelly
The U23s keeper went on loan to Harlow

You dont need 3 if you can recall Walsh from any loan spell.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 14:01 - Jul 8 with 2348 viewsBazzeR

I see Barnes as being a punt on a free transfer that ‘must’ have shown some progress to have been re-signed.

Archer/Barnes is an insurance policy if Dieng is sold or absent.

It’s clear in his interview that Archer is fully aware of the pecking order.
QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 14:03 - Jul 8 with 2346 viewsR_from_afar

QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 14:38 - Jul 7 by BazzaInTheLoft

Get him out on loan to Arrow and Wealdstone.

Ambridge United, more likely...

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 18:51 - Jul 8 with 2153 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 14:03 - Jul 8 by R_from_afar

Well he mightn't be Julio Cesar but I can't see too many drawbacks with this signing.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 19:56 - Jul 8 with 2115 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 14:03 - Jul 8 by R_from_afar

Niche middle class content there!
QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 20:18 - Jul 8 with 2101 viewsMick_S

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 08:09 - Jul 9 with 1962 viewsR_from_afar

QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 19:56 - Jul 8 by BazzaInTheLoft

Niche middle class content there!

LOL I ressemble that remark

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 12:03 - Jul 9 with 1893 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I looked over Jordan and what did I see, signing fourth choice keeper on a free.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 21:46 - Jul 18 with 1731 viewsrsonist

QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 22:22 - Jul 18 with 1663 viewsGloryHunter

QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 21:46 - Jul 18 by rsonist

Love it that Albert is wearing a CHAIR 10 shirt. What a geezer!
QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 10:29 - Jul 28 with 1346 viewsBazzeR

He gave me the jitters in the Cambridge game,he looked hesitant to clear his lines and slow to sort his feet out.
QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 10:39 - Jul 28 with 1288 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 10:29 - Jul 28 by BazzeR

He gave me the jitters in the Cambridge game,he looked hesitant to clear his lines and slow to sort his feet out.

I thought he played with a lot of character and had no chance with their goal. Not a bad backup option on that showing.

QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 11:23 - Jul 28 with 1180 viewsgazza1

QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 10:29 - Jul 28 by BazzeR

Quite amazing......very different stories!!!!! with the last two posts. Any more??
QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 11:25 - Jul 28 with 1171 viewssprocket

QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 11:23 - Jul 28 by gazza1

Quite amazing......very different stories!!!!! with the last two posts. Any more??

Wasn't convinced myself but it's early doors. Showed a few nice touches but didn't appear to command his box or come for crosses with authority. Let's see...
[Post edited 28 Jul 2021 11:25]
QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 11:37 - Jul 28 with 1106 viewsdaveB

QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 10:39 - Jul 28 by CliveWilsonSaid

I thought he played with a lot of character and had no chance with their goal. Not a bad backup option on that showing.

yeah I felt the same, he looked fine to me as a back up
QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 11:48 - Jul 28 with 1054 viewsBazzeR

QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 11:23 - Jul 28 by gazza1

What type of posts are you looking to read ?
QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 11:57 - Jul 28 with 1024 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

QPR bring in Archer as backup goalkeeper — Signing on 11:48 - Jul 28 by BazzeR

What type of posts are you looking to read ?

I actually thought both our opinions were quite similar, only presented differently ;)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024