Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, 12:21 - Jul 29 with 7659 viewsbollockchops

its my eldest brother and he is watching it as well as Rangers play Liverpool,Eastoe scores up the Kop end but then it all goes belly up with Keegan (who looked off side ) scoring and Rangers losing 3-1 but as the goals went in it seemed to me that Parkes was having a mare ! Which then led the conversation towards who was Rangers best keeper and who was the worst !
We both agreed that in the worst catorgory first place went to Tony Roberts although my brother mentioned someone called Richardson who was bad !
And the best was a mixed bag as i liked Ludo just because of that song,he mentioned Jan Steskal , Budgie and Kelly but we couldnt decide so over to you !
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 12:02 - Jul 30 with 1653 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 10:46 - Jul 30 by 80s_Boy

What happened?

Alleged thieving; accusations; and a costly sex change for a South American!

Lot of rumours of light fingers in the dressing room; not sure the culprit was guilty though! Rumours of a sex change could be the stuff of myth/salacious rumour/too many illegal substances.

You know, the usual goings on in the 1980s.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 12:37 - Jul 30 with 1608 views80s_Boy

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 12:02 - Jul 30 by PlanetHonneywood

Alleged thieving; accusations; and a costly sex change for a South American!

Lot of rumours of light fingers in the dressing room; not sure the culprit was guilty though! Rumours of a sex change could be the stuff of myth/salacious rumour/too many illegal substances.

You know, the usual goings on in the 1980s.

After hearing about Mark Dennis dancing stark bollock naked on top of a pool table in a Walworth Road pub nothing surprises me about the 80s!

Hadn't heard that about Barron before though!
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 13:06 - Jul 30 with 1593 viewsAddinall

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 15:53 - Jul 29 by QPRSteve

I thought Kelly was awful. I remember we conned Birmingham into buying him and the following week stuck five past him at Loftus Road.

Parkes and Stejskal for me as our best.

I don't suppose there's anyone old enough on here to give a thumbs up for Reg Allen?

With you there re Reg Allen. My first hero and worthy of an English cap.But he played at a time when England had a plethora of choices for that position.
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 13:08 - Jul 30 with 1593 viewsAddinall

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 15:53 - Jul 29 by QPRSteve

I thought Kelly was awful. I remember we conned Birmingham into buying him and the following week stuck five past him at Loftus Road.

Parkes and Stejskal for me as our best.

I don't suppose there's anyone old enough on here to give a thumbs up for Reg Allen?

With you there re Reg Allen. My first hero and worthy of an English cap.But he played at t time when England had a plethora of choices for that osition.
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 13:14 - Jul 30 with 1582 viewsAddinall

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 22:51 - Jul 29 by texasranger

Too true, over the years we have had many superb keepers and one of the best imho was Reg Allen but I may be the only supporter left who remembers him. Absolutely fearless. His black and white postcard picture (purchased from the supporters' club shop on the terrace) graced my bedroom wall as a kid, along with a good few few others. Happy memories!

I remember him too. A great goalkeeper who seemed to hang in mid air awaiting crosses. My dad said he jumped so early that you thought he would be coming down when he should have been going up.
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 13:44 - Jul 30 with 1557 viewsHastings_Hoops

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 23:53 - Jul 29 by CiderwithRsie

Don't think you can call Stejskal an attempt to replace Roberts - Stejskal was signed as Seaman's replacement and IIRC Roberts had not played for us at that point.

You're right though that Stejskal was often kept out of the side by Roberts and while I could never see it myself it shows Roberts wasn't the absolute disaster he's been cited as here. Of course when Jan left Roberts took over full time in a side which regularly finished top half of the top flight which again doesn't fit the narrative that he was our worst ever keeper

I will give you Sommer as an attempt to replace Roberts but (a) years too late, by then Gerry had already moved on along with Willow and Les (b) he was Luton's 2nd reserve keeper FFS, it was pathetic as an effort to sign a keeper in the tradition of Seaman and Stejskal (both full internationals with serious football nations in their time with us) and compared to the quality of outfield players at the club. Dykstra was also too late and never a 1st choice keeper.

My post was that Roberts was at QPR before Seaman left and we signed Stejskal to have as a better option than Roberts.

Agreed - they shared the number 1 shirt during their joint tenure… Srejskal was far more able, but the point remains Roberts could not be ‘one of the worse keepers’ we’ve had to have kept Stejskal his toes as other posters have insinuated.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2021 13:47]
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 14:02 - Jul 30 with 1541 viewsR_from_afar

The enigma...

...but certainly not one of our best. Glossiest hair, perhaps

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 16:18 - Jul 30 with 1491 viewsPBLOCK

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 13:44 - Jul 30 by Hastings_Hoops

My post was that Roberts was at QPR before Seaman left and we signed Stejskal to have as a better option than Roberts.

Agreed - they shared the number 1 shirt during their joint tenure… Srejskal was far more able, but the point remains Roberts could not be ‘one of the worse keepers’ we’ve had to have kept Stejskal his toes as other posters have insinuated.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2021 13:47]

I think the reason Roberts sticks in the mind as a bad keeper is probably two fold

Firstly we had such a good team and he was undoubtedly the ‘Weak link’ when signing someone like Keller as people have said would have improved an already good side

The 2nd is the absolute howlers he used to make I can think of 4 off the top of my head that were just ludicrous

Ipswich away - Mid week Thompson the Ipswich left back hits a daisy cutter and Roberts let’s it through his legs. Bruno got an equaliser that night

Man City at home. Messing about hits ball straight at Paul Walsh and it rebounds into the net

Norwich at Home I think Boxing Day 96. Chipped shot at him no pace, straight through his hands

Barnsley at home few weeks after Norwich either the Trevor game or the league win shortly after Long ranger straight at him through his legs

We’ve had worse keepers than him that’s for sure but his mistakes were often so clownish he sticks in the mind
Login to get fewer ads

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 08:26 - Aug 12 with 1289 viewsCamberleyR

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 16:18 - Jul 30 by PBLOCK

I think the reason Roberts sticks in the mind as a bad keeper is probably two fold

Firstly we had such a good team and he was undoubtedly the ‘Weak link’ when signing someone like Keller as people have said would have improved an already good side

The 2nd is the absolute howlers he used to make I can think of 4 off the top of my head that were just ludicrous

Ipswich away - Mid week Thompson the Ipswich left back hits a daisy cutter and Roberts let’s it through his legs. Bruno got an equaliser that night

Man City at home. Messing about hits ball straight at Paul Walsh and it rebounds into the net

Norwich at Home I think Boxing Day 96. Chipped shot at him no pace, straight through his hands

Barnsley at home few weeks after Norwich either the Trevor game or the league win shortly after Long ranger straight at him through his legs

We’ve had worse keepers than him that’s for sure but his mistakes were often so clownish he sticks in the mind

Yeah, the Barnsley howler game was the John Spencer perfect hat trick. I think it was Redfearn who scored and the bloody thing must have bounced about half a dozen times before trickling through his legs.

Good call on the Man City goal, I'd almost forgotten that one. Another shocker.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 08:47 - Aug 12 with 1254 viewsflynnbo

Amazingly, I saw my late dad in the crowd during the home game v Brum in the 1980 match where Burke scored a late equaliser. I was working at a Saturday job back then. Needless to say, I paused it, took a photo and he is now a on my phone.
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 11:05 - Aug 24 with 1089 viewsflynnbo

We're one of the featured games tomorrow from 12.30pm. It's Arsenal v QPR from October 1974 if you remember that far back.
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 11:10 - Aug 24 with 1078 viewsdaveB

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 11:05 - Aug 24 by flynnbo

We're one of the featured games tomorrow from 12.30pm. It's Arsenal v QPR from October 1974 if you remember that far back.

think it's this one

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 17:06 - Aug 28 with 964 viewstexasranger

Reg Allen - certainly! as good as any of them and the bravest!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024