Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Floodlights last night 09:04 - Aug 25 with 6130 viewshook_hoops

Did anyone else find that the penalty area at the school end last night was in relative darkness. Sitting in the Upper Loft I found it quite hard to see the ball in front of the goal at the far end against the brightness of the LED advertising hoarding. Or it could just be my rapidly deteriorating eyesight!
Floodlights last night on 09:09 - Aug 25 with 4549 viewsknocker

There was something different. At times I thought the lights were brighter. I've always felt that our lights could be improved.
Floodlights last night on 09:12 - Aug 25 with 4527 viewsKensal_Ranger

Noticed it too last night from row N up in the Loft. Definitely got a couple of bulbs needing changing at the SW corner.
Floodlights last night on 09:39 - Aug 25 with 4392 viewsLythamR

I wasnt there last night but my experience is that the advertising hoardings are too bright and when the ball is in the school end penalty area i can loose it against the LED displays.

dimming them would help. I wonder if the advertisers realise that every time I lose the ball in their adverts i dislike their brand just a little bit more.. . Of course they do and they dont give a crap. On the other hand I have actually paid to watch a game of football not a series of adverts,
Floodlights last night on 09:41 - Aug 25 with 4381 viewsLanhoop

In the dodgy light it was impossible to pick their keeper out too. The similarity between their black and his navy blue for a floodlit match is surely a mistake?
Floodlights last night on 09:44 - Aug 25 with 4367 viewsGloryHunter

The advertising hoardings are MUCH too bright. When the ad with the white background came up, I was dazzled. Very difficult to follow the play. It must make things hard for the players, too, because they are on the same level as the hoardings.
Floodlights last night on 10:08 - Aug 25 with 4247 viewsstainrods_elbow

An illuminating (pun intended) sign of the times - football is a business first, and a spectator sport an increasingly distant second, and sometimes almost an afterthought. Someone should have a word with the club, but they'll probably say they are contractually bound to project the advertising hoardings at a fixed level of ball-vanishing/pupil-searing brightness.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2021 17:31]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Floodlights last night on 10:20 - Aug 25 with 4182 viewsE17hoop

I said the same last night - the hoardings were too bright and did seem to be turned down a bit later in the game - the orange Carabao sign for example was a lot dimmer later in the game.

I agree re the floodlights; it's almost as if there are bright spots in the penalty area either side of the goal and an unlit strip across the penalty area that is level with the penalty spot.

These issues combined, mean that looking at either far end goal, the players are just silhouettes and, as noted above, if a keeper is in a similar dark kit, it's impossible to tell one team from another.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: How has this season been?

Floodlights last night on 10:22 - Aug 25 with 4175 viewsStanisgod

Floodlights last night on 09:41 - Aug 25 by Lanhoop

In the dodgy light it was impossible to pick their keeper out too. The similarity between their black and his navy blue for a floodlit match is surely a mistake?

I said exactly the same to Stan jnr about the goalie, maybe from ground level his kit looked different.
And the lights were strange.
As regards the adverts, what about taking a penalty with those flashing.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Login to get fewer ads

Floodlights last night on 10:24 - Aug 25 with 4160 viewsozranger

Floodlights last night on 09:41 - Aug 25 by Lanhoop

I was wondering why the ref chose not to force the Oxford keeper to wear some other, not so clashing, shirt. It must have been a bit hard for him as well, come corners.
Floodlights last night on 10:26 - Aug 25 with 4150 viewshook_hoops

Floodlights last night on 09:12 - Aug 25 by Kensal_Ranger

Noticed it too last night from row N up in the Loft. Definitely got a couple of bulbs needing changing at the SW corner.

Where's John Noakes when you need him!
Floodlights last night on 10:36 - Aug 25 with 4113 viewsE17hoop

Floodlights last night on 10:20 - Aug 25 by E17hoop

I said the same last night - the hoardings were too bright and did seem to be turned down a bit later in the game - the orange Carabao sign for example was a lot dimmer later in the game.

I agree re the floodlights; it's almost as if there are bright spots in the penalty area either side of the goal and an unlit strip across the penalty area that is level with the penalty spot.

These issues combined, mean that looking at either far end goal, the players are just silhouettes and, as noted above, if a keeper is in a similar dark kit, it's impossible to tell one team from another.

Perfect pic by Clive here that shows the dark and bright zones.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: How has this season been?

Floodlights last night on 10:50 - Aug 25 with 4050 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Are we on LED yet or still on the John Noakes ones?

I like Leds but the light is weird.

It doesn't creep around a book like the Argon filament used to, so to read properly if you are holding the book up you need a light source behind you.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Floodlights last night on 11:03 - Aug 25 with 3989 viewsquickpassrotter

We have an old stadium and a set of floodlights that go with it. I don't know what the EFL regulations are relating to standard of floodlights but I think that we must be on borderline.
Certainly in the corners it has always looked somewhat dark but last night for whatever reason the floodlighting looked particularly poor and inconsistent across the entire pitch. I think that the florescent moving ad signage behind the goals which are very bright and alarming emphasis the poor floodlighting, as has been pointed out.
On a different note - it was good to see all Stands open for this League Cup tie. Made for a good atmosphere and prevented the usual chaos when everyone seems to be crammed into the South Africa Road Stand and can't find the seats that they are supposed to be sitting in. Good on Oxford Utd for bringing a hefty number too.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2021 11:04]
Floodlights last night on 11:36 - Aug 25 with 3889 viewsCamberleyR

Floodlights last night on 10:26 - Aug 25 by hook_hoops

Where's John Noakes when you need him!

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Floodlights last night on 11:48 - Aug 25 with 3839 viewsFrankRightguard

Couldn’t see what had happened with Chair’s goal last night for the glare of the hoardings. And agree that the floodlight coverage seemed very patchy. We commented the same during the game.

I know money is tight but seems the stadium upkeep is on the slide to me.
Floodlights last night on 13:17 - Aug 25 with 3680 viewseastside_r

Floodlights last night on 11:36 - Aug 25 by CamberleyR

Get down Shep!
Floodlights last night on 14:27 - Aug 25 with 3514 viewsstevec

I’d like to see strobe in future, didn’t they do that before the Oldham semi final or was I just drunk?I can’t get no sleep.
Floodlights last night on 14:48 - Aug 25 with 3458 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Floodlights last night on 11:36 - Aug 25 by CamberleyR

What a great trip down the years and very entertaining to see the old system and of course the Stadium with the terraces .The difference in the whole area from the recent drone video is like black and white tv to 4k basically.
I dont think anybody could really complain about the lights today ,I could see nothing when the players were running out and warming up but its old eyes I guess
Floodlights last night on 15:49 - Aug 25 with 3378 viewsmarky67

glad i`m not the only one who thought it was quite dark, could hardly make out who was who across the other side and end of the pitch.
also besides the keepers kit clashing with the outfield players, how come the ref had the same colour socks and shorts as the oxford team? surely he must had known in advance and changed them to the same colour as his shirt.
Floodlights last night on 17:41 - Aug 25 with 3234 viewsstainrods_elbow

Floodlights last night on 14:48 - Aug 25 by CLAREMAN1995

What a great trip down the years and very entertaining to see the old system and of course the Stadium with the terraces .The difference in the whole area from the recent drone video is like black and white tv to 4k basically.
I dont think anybody could really complain about the lights today ,I could see nothing when the players were running out and warming up but its old eyes I guess

God, I miss the lovely Loft - when it was a proper home end, and not a 2/3 full 'family stand'. (I think the Oxford end was fuller than ours this week.)

Is anyone else as vertigo-afflicted as me? I get the heebee jeebees just watching Noakes at top of that tower. Had to smile at the age of our electrical supervisor back then, though. He looked like he was going to have a coronary just holding the ladder!

Floodlights last night on 17:45 - Aug 25 with 3223 viewsPinnerPaul

Floodlights last night on 10:08 - Aug 25 by stainrods_elbow

An illuminating (pun intended) sign of the times - football is a business first, and a spectator sport an increasingly distant second, and sometimes almost an afterthought. Someone should have a word with the club, but they'll probably say they are contractually bound to project the advertising hoardings at a fixed level of ball-vanishing/pupil-searing brightness.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2021 17:31]

I'm back on a familiar theme here - "someone" - why not you SE?
Floodlights last night on 17:47 - Aug 25 with 3216 viewsPinnerPaul

Floodlights last night on 10:24 - Aug 25 by ozranger

I was wondering why the ref chose not to force the Oxford keeper to wear some other, not so clashing, shirt. It must have been a bit hard for him as well, come corners.

This is in the same camp as the 6 second rule.

Referees and GKs wear the same colours all the time in the professional game - who knows why?
Floodlights last night on 17:50 - Aug 25 with 3203 viewsMaggsinho

Floodlights last night on 17:41 - Aug 25 by stainrods_elbow

God, I miss the lovely Loft - when it was a proper home end, and not a 2/3 full 'family stand'. (I think the Oxford end was fuller than ours this week.)

Is anyone else as vertigo-afflicted as me? I get the heebee jeebees just watching Noakes at top of that tower. Had to smile at the age of our electrical supervisor back then, though. He looked like he was going to have a coronary just holding the ladder!

My one time brother-in-laws uncle!

If you think that’s bad you should watch the video of John Noakes climbing Nelson’s Column.
Floodlights last night on 17:56 - Aug 25 with 3183 viewsPinnerPaul

Floodlights last night on 14:48 - Aug 25 by CLAREMAN1995

Wonderful video.

Ah the 'fuel crisis', remember it well, "good old days" eh?!
Floodlights last night on 21:16 - Aug 25 with 2975 viewsstainrods_elbow

Floodlights last night on 17:45 - Aug 25 by PinnerPaul

I'm back on a familiar theme here - "someone" - why not you SE?

I think it would be good to send a petition of some kind to Hoos, which I'd gladly help with. It's clearly something that needs a fix.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024