Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Half time catering 16:42 - Aug 31 with 5249 viewsCorbyQPR

While everything on the pitch seems to be on an upward curve, it seems that there are many areas off the pitch that could be better, including the catering which is the worst I have ever known it. Forget leaving your seat in SAR after 40 mins @ halftime if you want a beer/food. No chance of getting it before the second half.

If you are lucky/get down early enough you pay £5.50 for a can of Carlsberg, poured by the catering staff, most of who have no idea how to pour a car so it takes ages.

I dread to think how many people don't bother/how much income the club are losing. Its a shambles.
Half time catering on 17:15 - Sep 1 with 1367 viewscollegeranger

They tried that German Sausage and chips truck in the Ellerslie a few years back - I had stopped even attempting to buy any thing from the the servery under the stand years ago. First try wasnt bad - second one got bad food poisoning and sh@t through the eye of a needle for the rest of the weekend.

2 games later it had gone.

Into my mid fifties and if I have more than a pint before the game I need a slash and I cant be @rsed to queue for the lavs at half time - so I may have one pint before a game but never more and never in the ground!
Half time catering on 17:34 - Sep 1 with 1350 viewswood_hoop

Half time catering on 17:07 - Sep 1 by PinnerPaul

Not sure finding good staff in this sector is that easy at the moment.

Quick google search brings up loads of stories just like this one

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57817775

Been like the perfect storm with all that has happened over the last couple of years, maybe now the staff already working and to entice new staff with much better wages and more respect will show working in the catering world is a valued career in our society.

I will repeat good training is paramount and staff not to be looked down on if serving a plate of chips or a cordon bleu lunch, better standards all round can only help.
Half time catering on 19:12 - Sep 1 with 1281 views1MoreBrightonR

I worked in a theatre bar years ago and you know at the intermission it's going to be rammed, you 10 mins before, you fill up a load of pint glasses two thirds, and then start topping them up as the interval starts and people order. It's simple and it works and they stay fresh. That's the first tip.

Second, have one person on each till, one person who just pours beer etc. Treat it like a factory line and you just stand there and do the same job on repeat for 15 mins over half time. Its just bad management that no one is telling the kids that work there things like this
Half time catering on 22:21 - Sep 1 with 1238 viewswombat

Half time catering on 18:25 - Aug 31 by kensalriser

Only a solution for the Loft, but there's plenty of room in the lower Loft area to set up several street food stalls and it would be easy to find operators willing to take a pitch.

Have you been downstairs at half time in the loft recently ? U can’t move atall

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Half time catering on 23:20 - Sep 1 with 1205 viewsjoe90

Half time catering on 17:12 - Sep 1 by wood_hoop

Sorry joe90, I will have to disagree, yes have the bog standard fayre for us old folk but we should do every thing to entice younger folk, good football is paramount and 1st on the list, but decent catering is creeping higher up the list,.

Even if you just go shopping in a mall/ high st, half the units are eateries, some will offer burger and chips as standard, but just how many offer foods from the four corners of the earth, its now a part of the shopping trip, seems a day out just shopping has to include a decent meal no matter what ages the family groups or a bunch of friends together are.

I know going back twenty years ago, would always go for grub prematch with my kids, give them a pie with a bovril they would of had me up for child cruelity !

Mates we took to the match of mine and the kids always liked the fact a good variety of places round THe Bush, helped to help make a good afternoon out, even if the game itself not so good.

I don't disagree with you about the importance of good food and drink to the match day experience. I think it's something people of all ages appreciate.

My point was more about not needing to reinvent the wheel. If we had nicer pies, better beer and
a decent selection of chocolate crisps all served quickly and effieclty we'd see sales shoot up on match days. We generally offer the right type of food and drinks but it's the shabby version of everything, it always feels like your at WHSmith at service station.

Practically speaking the club is limited in what it can offer, we simply don't have the space in the stands. So in terms of improving food/drink I don't think they can change the offer much, just improve on the quality.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2021 23:21]
Half time catering on 09:59 - Sep 2 with 1103 viewsBlackAndGoldRanger

In Ellerslie we have the 33 minute rush. Everyone going to get food/drink all leave in unison on 33, it's like they've planned it!
The catering has been shocking for ages, they do have a bar that just serves beer now but the queue is always longer than the rest. I know Carlsberg are a sponsor but I would be willing to pay much more for a decent beer, there are so many micro breweries in London.
The Portobello brewery is literally around the corner, get some craft beers in, charge a bit more and I'm happy.
I can't see anything changing though, it all costs too much.
Half time catering on 10:04 - Sep 2 with 1095 viewsGloryHunter

Half time catering on 22:21 - Sep 1 by wombat

Have you been downstairs at half time in the loft recently ? U can’t move atall

I think he means the outside area - the yard where the smokers go. There's already a food van and a beer kiosk there. Could certainly fit another couple of outlets there - unless it maybe contravenes emergency escape regs.
Half time catering on 13:01 - Sep 2 with 1052 viewswombat

Half time catering on 10:04 - Sep 2 by GloryHunter

I think he means the outside area - the yard where the smokers go. There's already a food van and a beer kiosk there. Could certainly fit another couple of outlets there - unless it maybe contravenes emergency escape regs.

yeah thought thats where he meant , no chance of fitting anything in at half time you can barely move down there the crowd for the burger stands is bad enough be great to have some options but at present lower loft is a big no no

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Login to get fewer ads

Half time catering on 13:16 - Sep 2 with 1031 viewsAntti_Heinola

I never bother at SA Road, or at any ground.
Tend to eat before, and as apparently we're all children and we're not allowed to drink within sight of the pitch, I'm not going to leave my seat early just for a beer, so that's 10 mins to buy one and 5 mins to drink it. Sod that.

A bigger ground with more concessions space might change that, but also will the relaxing of rules to allow us to have a drink while watching. I'm not saying allow it for the oiks in ellerslie, but for us higher class clientele in the SA Road, it should be allowed.*

Not sure I've ever eaten anything at a football ground that has been anything better than barely adequate, and is usually fairly horrific. Pies in a few grounds up north are good. that's it.

Where's our cheese bar?

*joke. To be clear.

Bare bones.

Half time catering on 16:07 - Sep 2 with 960 viewssimmo

Half time catering on 19:12 - Sep 1 by 1MoreBrightonR

I worked in a theatre bar years ago and you know at the intermission it's going to be rammed, you 10 mins before, you fill up a load of pint glasses two thirds, and then start topping them up as the interval starts and people order. It's simple and it works and they stay fresh. That's the first tip.

Second, have one person on each till, one person who just pours beer etc. Treat it like a factory line and you just stand there and do the same job on repeat for 15 mins over half time. Its just bad management that no one is telling the kids that work there things like this

Exactly this - it'll never be perfect due to size and facilities, but you don't make a bad situation worse by not doing the basics correctly.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Half time catering on 20:44 - Sep 4 with 797 viewsjoe90

Took a family trip to Plough Lane today. The food options were fantastic, pizza, fish and chips, West Indian, toasties etc. Not seen anything like it before at football.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024