Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some perspective 10:17 - Nov 1 with 3251 viewsnix

Was just having another look at the table after giving the last minute disappointment on Friday time to settle.

And noticed that Stoke, after an excellent performance against WBA, have subsequently lost three and drawn one in the league as well as being booted out of the cup by Brentford.

Just brought it home to me again how flaky this division is, as I really thought they'd use the West Brom win as a platform for a bit of a run.

The games they lost weren't easy ones, granted, but it shows how easy it is to go from positive to a poor run overnight.
Some perspective on 10:25 - Nov 1 with 3212 viewsSuperhoop83

Good post.

3 or 4 top six places are up for grabs to any club that can get some consistency and I hope that the less frantic fixture list after the next break may assist us in particular, especially if we can get Field and Wallace back into the team.

There is a long way to go and plenty of reason for optimism.

Suffering since 1978.

Some perspective on 12:04 - Nov 1 with 3038 viewsJuzzie

This is why it really pi$$es me off the nano-second we don't win a game, loads are people are clamouring for the Manager to be sacked. I've seen "he has to go" posts on social media after Friday night. Really? fkin' really?

As I have pointed out before, it's only the top five or six teams (sometimes less) that actually win more games than they don't. Teams have finished in a play off place having draw & lost more games than they won yet people froth at the mouth when a game is a draw or a defeat.

Jesus.....
Some perspective on 14:48 - Nov 1 with 2864 viewskensalriser

Some perspective on 12:04 - Nov 1 by Juzzie

This is why it really pi$$es me off the nano-second we don't win a game, loads are people are clamouring for the Manager to be sacked. I've seen "he has to go" posts on social media after Friday night. Really? fkin' really?

As I have pointed out before, it's only the top five or six teams (sometimes less) that actually win more games than they don't. Teams have finished in a play off place having draw & lost more games than they won yet people froth at the mouth when a game is a draw or a defeat.

Jesus.....

Sort of related, I find the context in which the win ratio stat is usually used (as a stick with which to beat any given manager) laughable, given that anything under 50% seems to be regarded as low when in the Championship that would yield 69 points, enough to finish comfortably upper mid table even if the other 50% were all defeats or easily in the top 6 if you count likely draws. That's the other annoying thing about the win ratio - it ignores draws.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Some perspective on 14:58 - Nov 1 with 2845 viewsdaveB

aim this season has to be to make the playoffs and we certainly in the hunt. How quickly we get out of the recent bad run will play a bit part, if it drags on a few more games we'll be back to 16th before we know it.

I just think if we can get to the last 10 games and be in the top 10 and in with a realistic chance we've done well and would have a great chance.

Big difference though between this year and last is injuries making it harder to rotate and keep everyone fresh.
Some perspective on 20:36 - Nov 1 with 2588 viewsCiderwithRsie

Some perspective on 12:04 - Nov 1 by Juzzie

Jesus.....

Couldn't agree more.

That said, it's frustrating how the last two months have gone because it could have been so much better with very little improvement.

I liked what Warburton said pre-season about wanting other teams to be scared of us but at the moment I imagine most will think that if they keep trying they have a good chance of getting something.

We've got the resilience when we're down a goal but not the ruthlessness when we're ahead or wanting to close out a game.
Some perspective on 21:33 - Nov 1 with 2482 viewsbosh67

I think our issues are more tweaks than wholesale and once solved we will push on.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Some perspective on 23:23 - Nov 1 with 2391 viewswelwynranger

When we won the play off final.
We had an Austen and a Dunne in he team.
Just saying is all
Some perspective on 06:31 - Nov 2 with 2254 viewsnix

Some perspective on 20:36 - Nov 1 by CiderwithRsie

Couldn't agree more.

That said, it's frustrating how the last two months have gone because it could have been so much better with very little improvement.

I liked what Warburton said pre-season about wanting other teams to be scared of us but at the moment I imagine most will think that if they keep trying they have a good chance of getting something.

We've got the resilience when we're down a goal but not the ruthlessness when we're ahead or wanting to close out a game.

But this is kind of my point. All teams in and around the play offs that have had a bad run will be thinking the same. Stoke and West Brom have both lost more matches than we have in the last five games.

I'm sure they'll be talking about small margins, reffing decisions and injuries too.

I genuine believe that our best team when playing at our best can win against any other team, but unfortunately it's harder for us to win when some of our best players are injured or out of sorts. We haven't got the strength in depth or really punishing pace. Having lost both our first choice left backs and having had to sparingly use our main striker at times because of international duty takes its toll.

Given all that and being chosen for Sky ridiculously often, which affects our training schedule and rest periods I think we've done pretty well to be where we are.
Login to get fewer ads

Some perspective on 07:27 - Nov 2 with 2211 viewsPunteR

Only 4 points away from 19th. Carry on this blip and we're way down rapidly.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Some perspective on 11:35 - Nov 2 with 2028 viewsMatch82

Some perspective on 07:27 - Nov 2 by PunteR

Only 4 points away from 19th. Carry on this blip and we're way down rapidly.

And honestly I would be fine with that.
Short of relegation or obviously losing the dressing room, I can't think of anything that would make me think Warburton is not the man for the job. And let's not forget he's ALREADY shown he can turn it around from a bad league position.

We are playing fun (if heart attack encouraging) football, with a bunch of very likeable players, a lot of whom have come through from the youth team. And if any of those players leave, what I've seen over the past 2-3 years gives me every confidence that we will recruit well to fill the gaps.

Honestly, have we been able to say that at ANY point in the last 20 years? Maybe the promotion season with Adel but that is about it, and even then none of the players were homegrown.
Some perspective on 13:11 - Nov 2 with 1888 viewsPunteR

Some perspective on 11:35 - Nov 2 by Match82

And honestly I would be fine with that.
Short of relegation or obviously losing the dressing room, I can't think of anything that would make me think Warburton is not the man for the job. And let's not forget he's ALREADY shown he can turn it around from a bad league position.

We are playing fun (if heart attack encouraging) football, with a bunch of very likeable players, a lot of whom have come through from the youth team. And if any of those players leave, what I've seen over the past 2-3 years gives me every confidence that we will recruit well to fill the gaps.

Honestly, have we been able to say that at ANY point in the last 20 years? Maybe the promotion season with Adel but that is about it, and even then none of the players were homegrown.

That wasn't a Warburton out post btw. I was just trying to put some perspective on it.. lol.
Yeh I agree we have enough about us to push on and get a good run together but we need to do it sooner rather than later. Long way to go still but it gets a bit muddy mid table if we get dragged into there.

Some perspective on 16:06 - Nov 2 with 1768 viewsMatch82

Some perspective on 13:11 - Nov 2 by PunteR

That wasn't a Warburton out post btw. I was just trying to put some perspective on it.. lol.
Yeh I agree we have enough about us to push on and get a good run together but we need to do it sooner rather than later. Long way to go still but it gets a bit muddy mid table if we get dragged into there.

I figured that, just says something about how crazy this league is how tight all the teams are. Makes it more important not to panic because you're only ever 3 good or bad games away from being the other end of the table
Some perspective on 07:29 - Nov 3 with 1599 viewsEastR

Some perspective on 16:06 - Nov 2 by Match82

I figured that, just says something about how crazy this league is how tight all the teams are. Makes it more important not to panic because you're only ever 3 good or bad games away from being the other end of the table

All of a sudden 2 of our next 3 games against teams above us in the table
#mustwin #6pointers

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Some perspective on 07:52 - Nov 3 with 1558 viewsPunteR

Some perspective on 07:29 - Nov 3 by EastR

#mustwin #6pointers

All games are 'must win'.

Some perspective on 08:39 - Nov 3 with 1503 viewsgazza1

We are doing fine, still on track despite not having much luck with injuries and conceding late goals in recent matches.......
[Post edited 3 Nov 2021 8:40]
Some perspective on 11:47 - Nov 3 with 1368 viewsnix

Some perspective on 07:29 - Nov 3 by EastR

#mustwin #6pointers

Yeah, how did Luton and Blackpool sneak up there?

I think given their lofty position in the table, they should have all of their games shown on Sky at ridiculously awkward times from now on. That'll show them.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024