Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stand on Gambling 20:04 - Nov 9 with 1680 viewstimeforheroes

Interesting article on the athletic about gambling sponsors in football- just don't mention their podcast sponsors! https://theathletic.com/news/gambling-charity-calls-on-efl-to-end-sky-bet-sponso

Anyway, would like to see the club take a stance on gambling sponsors. Rick Parry reckons a ban on gambling companies on shirts would sink clubs- who's in the driving seat then and do we want our game to be financed on fellow fans misery? Perhaps Parry could ask his mates the Glazers and John Henry to cover the shortfall and clean up the game such is their care for pyramid. But then pigs might fly and who'd be interested in watching football if that happened.
Stand on Gambling on 20:56 - Nov 9 with 1627 viewscolinallcars

If pigs could fly, bacon'd go up.
Stand on Gambling on 21:06 - Nov 9 with 1611 viewsStainrod

Probably going to be unpopular for saying this, but a few points:

The vast majority of people who gamble do so because they enjoy it and don't lose more than they can afford. You don't have to undergo demanding affordability checks or source of funds before you buy cigarettes, booze or luxury cars but that kind of spending has ruined many lives.

The UK market is now, prob along with Germany, the most strictly regulated in the entire world for online betting, I am not sure how much more betting companies can do - the very same people who later claim foul tend to be the people getting round the rules to bet more. Betting companies are actually one of the very few British success stories in our crappy, Brexit underperforming economy.

Bookies like the one who sponsor QPR are absolutely tiny and are probably smaller than Aggregate Concretes - Bet364 it is not, and almost certainly loss making.

By all means ban bookies from sponsoring football (its a legitimate argument) but don't then complain when clubs don't have enough money to meet transfer fees, replace stadium lighting etc.

Appreciate gambling raises passions and I see it from both sides - but just thought I would put the alternative view.
Stand on Gambling on 21:29 - Nov 9 with 1573 viewshantssi

We’ll f**k me gently, it’s been turned into another political thread, this time Brexit!!
Sometimes I don’t know why I bother coming on here and goodness only knows his Clive deals with it.
Stand on Gambling on 00:14 - Nov 10 with 1478 viewsPunteR

Stand on Gambling on 21:06 - Nov 9 by Stainrod

Probably going to be unpopular for saying this, but a few points:

The vast majority of people who gamble do so because they enjoy it and don't lose more than they can afford. You don't have to undergo demanding affordability checks or source of funds before you buy cigarettes, booze or luxury cars but that kind of spending has ruined many lives.

The UK market is now, prob along with Germany, the most strictly regulated in the entire world for online betting, I am not sure how much more betting companies can do - the very same people who later claim foul tend to be the people getting round the rules to bet more. Betting companies are actually one of the very few British success stories in our crappy, Brexit underperforming economy.

Bookies like the one who sponsor QPR are absolutely tiny and are probably smaller than Aggregate Concretes - Bet364 it is not, and almost certainly loss making.

By all means ban bookies from sponsoring football (its a legitimate argument) but don't then complain when clubs don't have enough money to meet transfer fees, replace stadium lighting etc.

Appreciate gambling raises passions and I see it from both sides - but just thought I would put the alternative view.

"Bet364 it is not, and almost certainly loss making."

Someone is making a lot of money somewhere down the line. And it's not QPR or the punters that get caught up in it.

Cigarettes, alcohol, gambling. Strange that these businesses get into top level sports. Kind of a conflict of interest really.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2021 0:15]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Stand on Gambling on 07:55 - Nov 10 with 1326 viewsessextaxiboy

Its not new , its the easy access to the images that is new ..ish .

Martell Grand National 1984
JPS Lotus Formula One 1978
Our first scoreboard was sponsored by Corals 1970s.
Stand on Gambling on 08:00 - Nov 10 with 1317 viewsstevec

Stand on Gambling on 00:14 - Nov 10 by PunteR

"Bet364 it is not, and almost certainly loss making."

Someone is making a lot of money somewhere down the line. And it's not QPR or the punters that get caught up in it.

Cigarettes, alcohol, gambling. Strange that these businesses get into top level sports. Kind of a conflict of interest really.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2021 0:15]

Not really. The vast majority who watch or go to men’s professional football are males and what do males like … cigarettes, alcohol and gambling.

If L’Oreal thought the majority of football fans were heavily into hair product then they’d be advertising too, but they don’t.

As Stainrod intimates, the overwhelming majority do gamble responsibly, for those who don’t stop expecting the world to adjust to your lowest common denominator.

Anyway, when the same people who want gambling banned come down in equal measure on fashion advertising where huge amounts of families finances are wasted on predominantly women’s clothing that barely gets used, if at all, and is firmly recognised as one of the worlds largest polluters then I might give them the time of day.

Funny how it’s always men’s interests that need to be banned?!
Stand on Gambling on 10:25 - Nov 10 with 1240 viewsPunteR

Stand on Gambling on 08:00 - Nov 10 by stevec

Not really. The vast majority who watch or go to men’s professional football are males and what do males like … cigarettes, alcohol and gambling.

If L’Oreal thought the majority of football fans were heavily into hair product then they’d be advertising too, but they don’t.

As Stainrod intimates, the overwhelming majority do gamble responsibly, for those who don’t stop expecting the world to adjust to your lowest common denominator.

Anyway, when the same people who want gambling banned come down in equal measure on fashion advertising where huge amounts of families finances are wasted on predominantly women’s clothing that barely gets used, if at all, and is firmly recognised as one of the worlds largest polluters then I might give them the time of day.

Yeh I get that , I just meant it's at odds with the sports themselves. Drinking, gambling, smoking.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Stand on Gambling on 11:00 - Nov 10 with 1178 viewskensalriser

Stand on Gambling on 08:00 - Nov 10 by stevec

That’s some stretch to turn it into misandry!

You may be slightly out of date with smoking, too.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024