Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
DNA tests - anybody had one? 17:30 - Nov 14 with 6885 viewsGloryHunter

Which firm did you use? Was it worth it? Would you recommend it?
DNA tests - anybody had one? on 11:44 - Nov 17 with 1951 viewsJuzzie

My results;

DNA tests - anybody had one? on 18:04 - Nov 17 with 1814 viewsLutonianR

I got:
80% England & Northwestern Europe
8% Wales
6% Scotland
4% Germanic Europe
2% Norway

Whereas my sister got:
81% England & Northwestern Europe
7% Germanic Europe
6% Scotland
4% Ireland
1% Sweden & Denmark
1% Portugal
DNA tests - anybody had one? on 10:19 - Nov 18 with 1705 viewsGloryHunter

DNA tests - anybody had one? on 18:04 - Nov 17 by LutonianR

I got:
80% England & Northwestern Europe
8% Wales
6% Scotland
4% Germanic Europe
2% Norway

Whereas my sister got:
81% England & Northwestern Europe
7% Germanic Europe
6% Scotland
4% Ireland
1% Sweden & Denmark
1% Portugal

So how come your sister has got a bit of Irish and you don't? Does that show that the tests are not all that reliable, do you think?
DNA tests - anybody had one? on 10:37 - Nov 18 with 1676 viewsTacticalR

DNA tests - anybody had one? on 10:19 - Nov 18 by GloryHunter

So how come your sister has got a bit of Irish and you don't? Does that show that the tests are not all that reliable, do you think?

See the Youtube video I posted earlier in this thread, where identical twins took the test and got different results. If you haven't got 20 minutes to watch the whole thing, watch the last 5 minutes from 16:30.

Air hostess clique

DNA tests - anybody had one? on 10:39 - Nov 18 with 1662 viewsPhildo

I think that is normal as you get different bits of dna from each parent.

I came back 100% Irish- dna from the north west of Ireland which is apparently unusual.

I found out one of my oldest friends was a fourth cousin. His family were from the same county as my dad (Derry) but no other connection we were aware of. He was 1% native american which I thought was pretty cool,
[Post edited 18 Nov 2021 10:40]
DNA tests - anybody had one? on 11:21 - Nov 18 with 1607 viewswillis1980

A friend of a friend (bit of a t0sser really) from Kilburn used to constantly bang on about how proud he was of his heritage and how great said countries were. He was half norwegian and half australian, according to him some of the most romantic countries on earth (he wasnt being ironic!). During a birthday party at the Pavillion we had a disagreement which ended up continuing outside, which led our friend in common to give me updates on that chaps life from time to time.
His mother died and he found out that he wasnt Norwegian at all, his mother was part of Germany's Red Army Faction (aka Baader—Meinhof Gang) and had gone on the lamb in England. He subsequently found loads of family in Germany he never knew he had.
A year later his father dies and he finds out he wasnt Australian either but English. If youre ever drinking in Kilburn and bump into some pillock banging on about how great it is to be German and English thatll be him.
I just enjoy this type of stuff so much as it hust goes to prove that in the great scheme it means bupkis.
DNA tests - anybody had one? on 13:41 - Nov 18 with 1520 viewseastside_r

Yeah, I did this with Ancestry a few years ago. The headline is that the genealogy is very accurate but the ethnicity claims are largely bollox and almost certainly contrived.

I happened to hear a radio programme (Fry and Rutherford, Radio 4) which explained how these companies operate. Noting these guys are proper scientists and I have no reason to question what they said and it is borne out by my own experience.

When I first did the test it blindly, correctly identified my sibling (elder sister) who looks nothing like me (lucky her) but confirms the science for family.
I am glossing over the concept of ethnicity and the geographical locations (noting Ancestry is an American company, tailored to their peccadillos) as that is a whole other discussion and I am not going to go there.
Basically, the ethnicity depends on who is on their database and mostly where they currently live (there are some geographical DNA markers but they play little part in this business model.)

So, in my first assessment I was very European with large percentages for Germanic and Scandinavian but my largest was the French region. I was only 9% ‘from the British Isles’ and I had traces of the pacific islands (I was hoping one of my ancestors was a Bounty mutineer!)

Fast forward a year and they ‘re-assess me’ and I suddenly become mostly from Britain and Ireland more than 70% and nothing at all ‘exotic’.
DNA tests - anybody had one? on 13:55 - Nov 18 with 1502 viewskensalriser

In answer to my own impression that these tests are mostly guff:

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2019/1/28/18194560/ancestry-dna-23-me-myh

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Login to get fewer ads

DNA tests - anybody had one? on 17:54 - Nov 18 with 1407 viewsGloryHunter

DNA tests - anybody had one? on 13:41 - Nov 18 by eastside_r

Yeah, I did this with Ancestry a few years ago. The headline is that the genealogy is very accurate but the ethnicity claims are largely bollox and almost certainly contrived.

I happened to hear a radio programme (Fry and Rutherford, Radio 4) which explained how these companies operate. Noting these guys are proper scientists and I have no reason to question what they said and it is borne out by my own experience.

When I first did the test it blindly, correctly identified my sibling (elder sister) who looks nothing like me (lucky her) but confirms the science for family.
I am glossing over the concept of ethnicity and the geographical locations (noting Ancestry is an American company, tailored to their peccadillos) as that is a whole other discussion and I am not going to go there.
Basically, the ethnicity depends on who is on their database and mostly where they currently live (there are some geographical DNA markers but they play little part in this business model.)

So, in my first assessment I was very European with large percentages for Germanic and Scandinavian but my largest was the French region. I was only 9% ‘from the British Isles’ and I had traces of the pacific islands (I was hoping one of my ancestors was a Bounty mutineer!)

Fast forward a year and they ‘re-assess me’ and I suddenly become mostly from Britain and Ireland more than 70% and nothing at all ‘exotic’.

Fast forward a year and they ‘re-assess me’

Did you do a second test, Eastside? Or did they just issue a correction of you first result? Did you request this?
DNA tests - anybody had one? on 18:31 - Nov 18 with 1376 viewsLutonianR

I think the problem at the moment is they are just rough guesses. I don't think they're totally inaccurate though. I have found Irish when researching the ancestry, but not Scottish yet which is on both our DNA results. The fact we'll have inherited different things from our parents will naturally make our DNA results slightly different.

If my DNA was matching what i'm aware of from researching my family tree, besides eastern & southwestern England i'd primarily expect small amounts of Gibraltarian (or southern Spain), southern France, Germany, Ireland & Wales.
DNA tests - anybody had one? on 19:39 - Nov 18 with 1339 viewsGloryHunter

DNA tests - anybody had one? on 10:01 - Nov 15 by TacticalR

Right, thanks, that seems fairly conclusive. It's a waste of time.
DNA tests - anybody had one? on 22:14 - Nov 18 with 1268 viewseastside_r

DNA tests - anybody had one? on 17:54 - Nov 18 by GloryHunter

Fast forward a year and they ‘re-assess me’

Did you do a second test, Eastside? Or did they just issue a correction of you first result? Did you request this?

No just sent me an email out of the blue stating there was a change. Completely random.
DNA tests - anybody had one? on 11:05 - Nov 19 with 1144 viewsGloryHunter

DNA tests - anybody had one? on 22:14 - Nov 18 by eastside_r

No just sent me an email out of the blue stating there was a change. Completely random.

But you still think the geneology results are accurate, even if the ethnicity results are a bit of a stab in the dark?
DNA tests - anybody had one? on 08:12 - Nov 20 with 1016 viewsDorse

My results said 'mostly human'.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

DNA tests - anybody had one? on 08:14 - Nov 21 with 937 viewsdistortR

DNA tests - anybody had one? on 22:14 - Nov 18 by eastside_r

Your DNA changed after you had the vaccine maybe?

DNA tests - anybody had one? on 10:48 - Nov 21 with 871 viewsGloryHunter

Well, these people seem to have had pretty impressive results:

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2021/nov/21/i-took-a-dna-test-and-found-a-who
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024