Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related 19:41 - Jan 26 with 9565 viewsWatfordR

Received a Penalty Charge Notice yesterday for turning right off Bloemfontein Road into Bryony Road before the West Brom game. I've done that for years and years, but apparently now prohibited. Good thing I got the notice or I'd have done the same last night!!

Had a look for the signage last night, which is now half way up a sodding lampost. As far as I'm aware, no kind of warning anywhere the traffic flow change was being implemented. £65 penalty, doubled if not paid in 14 days.

Anyone else been done?
Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 16:35 - Jan 28 with 1148 viewsJuzzie

Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 12:29 - Jan 28 by CliveWilsonSaid

I was just reading about the new Highway Code rules.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/the-highway-code-8-changes-you-need-to-know-f

I think your description is a little off but the first rule change actually goes against what I was taught in my driving lessons. I was told that drivers shouldn’t wave pedestrians across a road because it’s unsafe.

I guess drivers shouldn't wave anyone across. if you see someone about to cross you just stop and wait, let them decide whether they want to cross. if you wave them across and they get get hit by someone else (turning right from the opposite lane for example) then they could blame you.

When turning left a cyclist can (and do) undertake you with the risk of you knocking them off. Previously it became a kind of knock-for-knock situation as each blames the other. Now it's entirely down to the vehicle driver regardless of what the cyclist does. I think this has been done on purpose as there is now 100% blame to be able to attach to someone.
I like to consider myself a careful car driver (years of motorcycling makes this instinctive) but you could be spending so long double, triple, quadruple checking no cyclist is about to whizz down your inside as you want to turn left that you're not looking ahead and the car in front suddenly stops that you don't see because you are looking left and you go into the back of them.
Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 17:20 - Jan 28 with 1065 viewsE17hoop

Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 15:36 - Jan 28 by colinallcars

It's all very well exhorting people to cycle but the bane of cycling, apart from punctures, is finding somewhere safe to leave the bike.
I'm sure all those that cycle will have tales of bikes being nicked or vandalised - it's happened to me on numerous occasions.
I like the idea of those big metal security cages that one sees on certain roads. Are these suppied by the local council I wonder ?

Yep, they're bike hangars and take up the space of one car. You can get 6 bikes in there and they're pretty secure. My bike is stored in one and it costs be about £30 a year. They service it every 6 months or so.

I recommend it but your local Council has to manage them. Where I am, the demand outstrips the supply by quite a margin.

https://www.cyclehoop.com/product/shelters-canopies/bikehangar/
[Post edited 28 Jan 2022 17:24]

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 17:28 - Jan 28 with 1049 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 16:35 - Jan 28 by Juzzie

I guess drivers shouldn't wave anyone across. if you see someone about to cross you just stop and wait, let them decide whether they want to cross. if you wave them across and they get get hit by someone else (turning right from the opposite lane for example) then they could blame you.

When turning left a cyclist can (and do) undertake you with the risk of you knocking them off. Previously it became a kind of knock-for-knock situation as each blames the other. Now it's entirely down to the vehicle driver regardless of what the cyclist does. I think this has been done on purpose as there is now 100% blame to be able to attach to someone.
I like to consider myself a careful car driver (years of motorcycling makes this instinctive) but you could be spending so long double, triple, quadruple checking no cyclist is about to whizz down your inside as you want to turn left that you're not looking ahead and the car in front suddenly stops that you don't see because you are looking left and you go into the back of them.

I meant wave figuratively speaking really. Apparently you shouldn’t stop to let people cross the road in general, unless you’re certain it’s safe. Which you can’t be a lot of the time.

I’m a car driver, cyclist, pedestrian, jogger and user of public transport so kind of relate to all road users. The thing Juzzie said about bikes under-cutting when turning I don’t do. I always try to behave like a car and move with the traffic, which is part of the reason I don’t like these new cycle lanes. It doesn’t let you do that. I’ve used the one along Chiswick High Road a few times and I hate it. Cars cutting across you and pedestrians in close proximity. I just end up going on the road most of the time.

Same with the LTN’s near me. You just had confused car drivers bombing up and down trying to find their way through. Stopping and turning around randomly, reversing, driving up curbs. The main roads were just horrible. It’s much better now they’ve got rid of them.

As for having kids playing in the middle of the road? As a cyclist I think I’d prefer cars thanks!

Oh and I don’t like the way electric cars move either!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 17:55 - Jan 28 with 995 viewsJuzzie

Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 17:28 - Jan 28 by CliveWilsonSaid

I meant wave figuratively speaking really. Apparently you shouldn’t stop to let people cross the road in general, unless you’re certain it’s safe. Which you can’t be a lot of the time.

I’m a car driver, cyclist, pedestrian, jogger and user of public transport so kind of relate to all road users. The thing Juzzie said about bikes under-cutting when turning I don’t do. I always try to behave like a car and move with the traffic, which is part of the reason I don’t like these new cycle lanes. It doesn’t let you do that. I’ve used the one along Chiswick High Road a few times and I hate it. Cars cutting across you and pedestrians in close proximity. I just end up going on the road most of the time.

Same with the LTN’s near me. You just had confused car drivers bombing up and down trying to find their way through. Stopping and turning around randomly, reversing, driving up curbs. The main roads were just horrible. It’s much better now they’ve got rid of them.

As for having kids playing in the middle of the road? As a cyclist I think I’d prefer cars thanks!

Oh and I don’t like the way electric cars move either!

"Apparently you shouldn’t stop to let people cross the road in general, unless you’re certain it’s safe. "

The Highway Code link says you now should stop to let them cross the road, there's no mention at all about whether it's actually safe for them to cross or that the vehicle driver has to assess whether it is (and vehicle drivers absolutely should not decide whether it's safe or not for the example I gave previously). The pedestrian should decide for themselves if they should cross.

"2. People crossing the road at junctions

The updated code will clarify that:

- when people are crossing or waiting to cross at a junction, other traffic should give way

- if people have started crossing and traffic wants to turn into the road, the people crossing have priority and the traffic should give way

- people driving, riding a motorcycle or cycling must give way to people on a zebra crossing and people walking and cycling on a parallel crossing"

Thing is, it's impossible to have utopia because people are not robots. Benny said earlier than he shouldn't be disallowed from turning into a quieter street because he pays road tax/VED and shouldn't be held back from using certain roads but I had also given an example where drivers do go down quiet residential roads in a very reckless manner and needs curtailing. Benny may be a fine driver, many others aren't.

People are generally the problem, not the regulations.
Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 18:00 - Jan 28 with 982 viewsPunteR

Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 17:55 - Jan 28 by Juzzie

"Apparently you shouldn’t stop to let people cross the road in general, unless you’re certain it’s safe. "

The Highway Code link says you now should stop to let them cross the road, there's no mention at all about whether it's actually safe for them to cross or that the vehicle driver has to assess whether it is (and vehicle drivers absolutely should not decide whether it's safe or not for the example I gave previously). The pedestrian should decide for themselves if they should cross.

"2. People crossing the road at junctions

The updated code will clarify that:

- when people are crossing or waiting to cross at a junction, other traffic should give way

- if people have started crossing and traffic wants to turn into the road, the people crossing have priority and the traffic should give way

- people driving, riding a motorcycle or cycling must give way to people on a zebra crossing and people walking and cycling on a parallel crossing"

Thing is, it's impossible to have utopia because people are not robots. Benny said earlier than he shouldn't be disallowed from turning into a quieter street because he pays road tax/VED and shouldn't be held back from using certain roads but I had also given an example where drivers do go down quiet residential roads in a very reckless manner and needs curtailing. Benny may be a fine driver, many others aren't.

People are generally the problem, not the regulations.

But there's 20mph zones in roads where there's hardly any pedestrians.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 21:22 - Jan 28 with 878 viewskensalriser

Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 18:00 - Jan 28 by PunteR

But there's 20mph zones in roads where there's hardly any pedestrians.

That's because they've previously been run over.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 22:59 - Jan 28 with 823 viewsPunteR

Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 21:22 - Jan 28 by kensalriser

That's because they've previously been run over.

Speed bumps..

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 01:05 - Jan 29 with 778 viewsloftboy

Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 15:10 - Jan 27 by colinallcars

Just back from a few pints with a mate in the bazaar. He claims that 20mph signs painted on the roads are advisory and only enforceable if accompanied by 20mph signs on lampposts with a red circle. These are known as repeater signs.
That's a new one on me.

The only compulsory signs are white, round with a red border. Triangular are warnings.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024