Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related 19:41 - Jan 26 with 9566 viewsWatfordR

Received a Penalty Charge Notice yesterday for turning right off Bloemfontein Road into Bryony Road before the West Brom game. I've done that for years and years, but apparently now prohibited. Good thing I got the notice or I'd have done the same last night!!

Had a look for the signage last night, which is now half way up a sodding lampost. As far as I'm aware, no kind of warning anywhere the traffic flow change was being implemented. £65 penalty, doubled if not paid in 14 days.

Anyone else been done?
Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 19:54 - Jan 26 with 5007 viewssuperstan

Gutting, PCN charges are increasing soon as well, also very hard to appeal against, it’s criminal the way they just change all manner of things without making it obvious, as I have a Chauffeur business and we have have to have our wits about us every time we venture out.
Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 20:13 - Jan 26 with 4939 viewsPunteR

And whats with all the 20mph zones absolutely everywhere.?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 20:13 - Jan 26 with 4944 viewsMick_S

£160 for getting caught in yellow box junction. I’ve heard this on the van radio a couple of times in the last few days. Is this real? All over London or just certain boroughs? If so, that is just crazy.

Over to you more knowledgeable people.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 20:19 - Jan 26 with 4916 viewsParkRoyalR

Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 20:13 - Jan 26 by PunteR

Yep the main Old Oak Road has a 20mph camera, got flashed and done doing 24mph!
Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 20:34 - Jan 26 with 4857 viewsBlackCrowe

Don't get me started, I'll sound very Daily Mail but lockdown has allowed councils to implement insane speed restrictions, cycle lanes, blocked roads all in the name of being green. The reality is car traffic is idling causing more pollution and the councils are revenue raising through fines and the majority of cyclists (of which i'm one) stay on the main roads because it's quicker. I despise it.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2022 20:35]

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 21:20 - Jan 26 with 4734 viewsChrisNW6

Worth appealing and some recommended wording is the signs are not 'user friendly'. Mention you have been doing this route for years and ask some questions on when the road signs changed. Also you can ask how many tickets have been issued and appeals have been won. This Information needs to be made available if asked for (I believe). On the 'user friendly' front appeals can often be successful if drivers have difficulty with changes and reading new signage.
Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 21:26 - Jan 26 with 4720 viewsqpr_1968

Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 20:34 - Jan 26 by BlackCrowe

Don't get me started, I'll sound very Daily Mail but lockdown has allowed councils to implement insane speed restrictions, cycle lanes, blocked roads all in the name of being green. The reality is car traffic is idling causing more pollution and the councils are revenue raising through fines and the majority of cyclists (of which i'm one) stay on the main roads because it's quicker. I despise it.

king street from hammersmith and all down chiswick high road, cycle lanes as wide as the car lanes, bus stops in the middle of the road, no bus lanes, so motorists have to wait for multiple buses to load and unload passengers before moving.
all done as you say during lock downs.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 21:29 - Jan 26 with 4704 viewsBlackCrowe

Yep, that is one of the worst no doubt. Carnage. I spend 15+ mins in my car every time, engine running, as a result. Not very green.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2022 21:33]

Login to get fewer ads

Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 21:34 - Jan 26 with 4684 viewsHastings_Hoops

Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 20:19 - Jan 26 by ParkRoyalR

Yep the main Old Oak Road has a 20mph camera, got flashed and done doing 24mph!

All through Barnes as well… driving towards Hammersmith Bridge on that long, straight, empty road trying to stay at 20 and continually checking the Speedo is more distracting than driving at 30 imho
Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 21:42 - Jan 26 with 4669 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 20:34 - Jan 26 by BlackCrowe

I hate it too as a cyclist but it's been better since they got rid of the LTN's near me. Main roads less busy, side roads back to being, err, side roads and car drivers seem less aggressive.

I live not far from the ULEZ boundary too and luckily my car meets the requirements. I don't mind the ULEZ so much, I think it's mainly had a good effect in terms of congestion and the air seems cleaner. Although it's hard to say how much of that is the effect of Covid measures. I've hardly driven my car recently for one reason or another although I normally use it less in winter anyway. I did have a spin a couple of weeks ago and nearly got caught out by the 20 mph camera on Northfields Ave.

I had an evening out in town last week. Went up the Sky Garden and then to a Brewdog nearby for a stupidly priced beer. Finished up in 'spoons next to Tower of London for Burns week meal. Haggis/neeps/tatties washed down with Stout - lovely it was too. Roads were very quiet mostly just buses taxis and motorbikes. Strange times.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2022 21:43]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 22:07 - Jan 26 with 4592 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Let’s face facts…the government’s coffers are empty and they’re going to try everything in the book to replenish. Speeding fines; £5 to drop off at Heathrow; fuel prices through the roof And if it’s not in the book, they’ll write it in…they’ll make jaywalking a crime next!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 22:08 - Jan 26 with 4592 viewsBlackCrowe

Agree, strange times. But what feels wrong is that my journey time in car is taking longer when the roads are quieter than they were two years ago. And to do it on public transport (the rationale) will take me at least twice as long and cost the same at least. Insania.

Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 22:46 - Jan 26 with 4503 viewsstowmarketrange

The last time I drove through London was about 5 years ago.I thought I knew the route to Clapham junction,but there are so many 20mph zones and bus lane cameras that I hardly had time to look out for traffic in front of me as I was too busy looking for signs for things I wasn’t allowed to do.
Public transport for me in the future.I feel for the people who have to deal with that every day.
Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 09:36 - Jan 27 with 4189 viewsdanehoop

I think the desire to make people use public transport or walk where possible for some of these journeys is actually part of the idea behind some of these measures.

Having worked in a school previously managing the school run in the morning for example was often a nightmare with rush hour traffic and local traffic competing for space with families coming to school.

The 20 is plenty traffic speed comes from the evidence that you are much more likely to survive being struck at that speed by a car than at 30 MPH.

The idling of car engines in traffic is a real problem though, but against that more modern cars increasingly operate auto stop/start systems with the engine to manage that. Add in Hybrids and increasingly electrical vehicle take up and that should also start to reduce. So again I can see the logic.

Having said that, it really does annoy me when changes are made to existing limits and are either poorly advertised in advance or poorly signposted/marked. Equally there probably needs to be a broader and more consistent approach to defining when the 20 MPH rule is applied than is the case now. I can get the use in quiet side streets or around schools, but that doesn't seem to be what is used. If we are going to say that all traffic in London off A roads is 20 MPH, then so be it - but just make it consistent.

Never knowingly understood

Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 09:52 - Jan 27 with 4156 viewscolinallcars

Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 21:26 - Jan 26 by qpr_1968

king street from hammersmith and all down chiswick high road, cycle lanes as wide as the car lanes, bus stops in the middle of the road, no bus lanes, so motorists have to wait for multiple buses to load and unload passengers before moving.
all done as you say during lock downs.

Chiswick is indeed almost impossible for driving. Another measure introduced there, is only allowing resident permit holders to drive down certain streets presumably to stop ratrunning.
That's a reasonable premise but as other posters have said, it's nigh on impossible to take heed of the plethora of road signs.
Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 10:00 - Jan 27 with 4117 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Got pulled over many years ago for doing a left off the Uxbridge Road on to Wood Lane.

The copper told me she was going to do me for taking an illegal turn.

Then, as I opened my mouth to speak, she said:

"and if you tell me you didn't see the sign I'll do you for driving with undue care and attention".

Mouth closed. Nowhere to go.

I had to admire it.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 10:20 - Jan 27 with 4071 viewsBlue_Castello

Well I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but I also got done for exactly the same offence a couple of years ago, I cant remember exactly. I live in Uxbridge and I pick my brother up from Hillingdon before driving up the A40 to White City, I come back down the A40 and turn into Bloemfontein road. I have been doing the same journey for years , always turning right into Bryony road , never thinking it was a problem until I got a penalty notice land through the letterbox.
I was really pissed off to say the least and the next home game I did exactly the same as you and spotted the sign half way up a lamp post....

I can't remember if I posted anything on the Forum but I'm sorry if I didn't ,I just felt I had to suck it up and pay the fine but I still don't understand the reasoning for the signage. From that day onwards I've driven past Bryony road and turned right at Sawley road, the burger van, you can then drive up there and turn right into Gravesend road which will take you back to Bryony road.

It's definitely Hammersmith Council using the local traffic signage as a revenue earner, I also got done by them for doing a U turn up by the old BBC building so needless to say I'm very careful not to repeat that again, it only happened because they were doing major works to the entrance at the time.....
[Post edited 27 Jan 2022 10:47]
Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 10:22 - Jan 27 with 4060 viewsToast_R

With the amount of cuts to council budgets over the last decade or so, the motorist is and always will be the easy target. PCN's and Controlled Parking Zones are now a huge money spinner for local government so they will try and catch you anyway they can. Fully camera'd up Box junctions have appeared everywhere these days, you only have to take you eye off the ball for moment and think the traffic ahead is going to flow and bang, your rear wheel has stopped inside and your north of £100 out of pocket. So many silly buggers ignore them too and end up with another £310 on top from Enforcement. Council's are making serious money from them.

Also I had a visitors residence permit for my elderly parents house which I paid £150.00 pa in 2020. The council last year, outsourced their permits to bloody Ringo and its now £350pa.
Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 10:53 - Jan 27 with 3996 viewsE17hoop

Did a check on Google maps and it's been signposted since August 2014:
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5118423,-0.2349143,3a,75y,182.03h,79.37t/data=!3

[Post edited 27 Jan 2022 16:46]

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 11:03 - Jan 27 with 3934 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 20:13 - Jan 26 by PunteR

Croydon Council did that years ago. It is hard to get used to.
Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 12:02 - Jan 27 with 3866 viewscolinallcars

I live on a 20 mph road and cars go screaming through at about 50ish. Some of them have that valve overlap exhaust popping which is annoying. No cameras and no speed humps as it's a straight road which is used by ambulances from the nearby hospital.
Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 14:02 - Jan 27 with 3730 viewsHantsR

It appears that the Rotherham game is likely to cost me an extra £100 as I have been advised that I was doing 60 when gantry lights near jcn 2 of Smart motorway M3 were indicating a 50 mph limit. No excuse I guess, but looking at the photos, I was not alone in a line of safe-distanced cars doing the same speed.
Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 14:12 - Jan 27 with 3697 viewsTheChef

Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 10:00 - Jan 27 by BrianMcCarthy

Got pulled over many years ago for doing a left off the Uxbridge Road on to Wood Lane.

The copper told me she was going to do me for taking an illegal turn.

Then, as I opened my mouth to speak, she said:

"and if you tell me you didn't see the sign I'll do you for driving with undue care and attention".

Mouth closed. Nowhere to go.

I had to admire it.

Oooh propa nawty Brian - I don't think you've been able to make that left turn for years!

Unless of course you take the left beforehand and cut through that way

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 14:27 - Jan 27 with 3660 viewsloftboy

The first 6 months of the bank junction being cycle and buses only the signage was literally a couple of metal signs propped up near the entrance, Sainsbury who I worked for at the time picked up 30 grands worth from that junction alone, the signage is a lot better now.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Driving Penalty Charge - QPR related on 14:32 - Jan 27 with 3648 viewsNorthernr

There was a little bit in Private Eye last issue about somebody who'd been done in a box junction, I forget where, and did a freedom of information request to the council to see how much money that particular trap had caught them in the last year. Got a reply back £1.4m, so wrote back explaining "I didn't mean your income in total across the borough, I meant that one particular junction". Reply came - yes, that figure is correct.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024