Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Charlie Austin - Discuss... 17:21 - Feb 5 with 24955 viewsParkRoyalR

I know he gets a 6 every week, must be at least a 5 for getting into those shorts, today was blowing hard after 10, and to be that unfit at this stage in the season is a disgrace, with him we are playing with 10 men.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 10:50 - Feb 6 with 1927 viewsdaveB

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 23:57 - Feb 5 by ozranger

Just got home - most who went will know why it took so long. I have not read this whole thread, but I think there is something else missing here. Where was Armstrong? He was on the bench for Rotherham. There was no forward option on the bench and I believe we only made four subs in two lots of two. If Armstrong had come on for the final 30 would that have altered things, I am unsure. However, if he was good enough to make the bench in the previous round and he is in the squad as he has not been loaned out then I would love to know why he was not included here. Is he injured?

Personally, I think Charlie is a good impact player but struggles to play a full 90. He can do some good things but owing to his slowness, he now gets caught out when crowded.

Armstrong was injured, knock in training
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 10:52 - Feb 6 with 1912 viewstraininvain

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 09:29 - Feb 6 by ParkRoyalR

Yep, although I wasn't in the Swindon Nightclub ToIlets (check wiki page).

This is all starting to sound a bit personal.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 10:57 - Feb 6 with 1896 viewsgolborne

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 23:20 - Feb 5 by ParkRoyalR

Thread title was a pun / tongue in cheek as I accept its unpopular but we have a player who can't play more than 10 minutes of football at championship pace.

To say he works hard is an insult to all the other players who put in a proper shift today wheras Austin didn't press, run the channels and at one point didn't even bother to challenge for a header.

Feel free to disagree but next time he plays watch how gassed out he is after 10 minutes, somethings not right.

And when he gave the ball away outside their box in the first half his internal red mist didn’t descend resulting in him sprinting from the edge of the box to right back to cover when they broke. He was supposed to be the linchpin for Dykes today but every deft touch, or lay off went horribly wrong- a really bad day at the office, nothing short of poor, but he’ll come good when it matters. I would much rather see Dykes playing slightly behind Charlie, rather than the other way around as per yesterday. It might even create more space for Dykes, as Charlie is more of a handful/distraction. I also think Charlie is working on his fitness. He’s still too heavy, but not as heavy as a few months back. Not training properly for several months during a season will take some time to fix
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 11:00 - Feb 6 with 1879 viewsParkRoyalR

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 10:46 - Feb 6 by daveB

Austin's turn this week. How many chances did we create again yesterday. He didn't have a good game but he's never going to score if you don't deliver decent balls into the box

It's not about he didn't have a good game, everyone has poor games (even Willock has the odd one) it's about fitness and why probably our highest paid player can barely play championship pace for 10 minutes.

If you compare Dykes's movement for his 2 goals versus Reading there is no way Austin can do that, he's just not mobile or fit enough.

What he can still do is find half a yard for a header as he did versus Everton and WBA but that is totally reliant on pin-point crossing (and tired defending) as was the case for those goals.

I don't see how any Rangers fans can look at his fitness and not think what is going on.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 11:01 - Feb 6 with 1869 viewsdanehoop

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 10:57 - Feb 6 by golborne

And when he gave the ball away outside their box in the first half his internal red mist didn’t descend resulting in him sprinting from the edge of the box to right back to cover when they broke. He was supposed to be the linchpin for Dykes today but every deft touch, or lay off went horribly wrong- a really bad day at the office, nothing short of poor, but he’ll come good when it matters. I would much rather see Dykes playing slightly behind Charlie, rather than the other way around as per yesterday. It might even create more space for Dykes, as Charlie is more of a handful/distraction. I also think Charlie is working on his fitness. He’s still too heavy, but not as heavy as a few months back. Not training properly for several months during a season will take some time to fix

How dare you make a rationale and reasonable post.

Never knowingly understood

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 11:02 - Feb 6 with 1851 viewsParkRoyalR

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 10:52 - Feb 6 by traininvain

This is all starting to sound a bit personal.

Yes, I pay a considerable amount of money to support my team and expect the players to be fit for work and graft for every minute they are wearing the shirt - it's personal!
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 11:06 - Feb 6 with 1817 viewsandrew1302

I think the criticism is nuts. Not everyone can have a good game all the time. Austin is there to score goals , not a lot else. Give him 2 chances and he will hopefully score 1. Given his age, style etc this is heavily dependent on crosses coming in to the right spot. When this happens we do well ie Dykes x2 at Reading. When the crosses are not great ie yesterday then we struggle. Our two front men when Gray is not there are quite slow and are more in the form of the traditional centre forward. You have to serve them what they need. Yesterday the play was too slow, the crosses often not great and when they were ok Pet. had reshaped at the back. In amongst a great season this has often been the issue but please vitriolic criticism of Austin is really unnecessary . Ok to say he didn't have a good one but to get stuck into him i do not think is helpful or dare i say supportive.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 11:09 - Feb 6 with 1792 viewstraininvain

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 11:02 - Feb 6 by ParkRoyalR

Yes, I pay a considerable amount of money to support my team and expect the players to be fit for work and graft for every minute they are wearing the shirt - it's personal!

Big difference between wanting our players to be match fit (which we all do) and bringing up incidents from 10-15 years ago as justification to criticise Austin’s lifestyle along with stories that you saw him drinking in a pub after the Rotherham game moaning about being subbed.

But I guess we’ll have to take your word for the last part.
Login to get fewer ads

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 11:10 - Feb 6 with 1793 viewsParkRoyalR

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 11:01 - Feb 6 by danehoop

How dare you make a rationale and reasonable post.

Was that in reference to the 'he's still too heavy but not as heavy as a few months back' point? Very rational, reasonable and accurate, so shouldn't we at least ask why? Is it his focus is elsewhere (Talksport, Horse Racing etc) now that he's bagged his very lucrative 2 year payday?
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 11:17 - Feb 6 with 1756 viewsNorthantsHoop

Charlie is a talisman for us, we know he is not the player he was a few years back, but he has the ability to pop up and score the important goals. His signing last season is a major reason we are on the up. Impact player now but he has an important part to play in our potential promotion push, whether that is scoring or encouraging the team to get results.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 11:17 - Feb 6 with 1753 viewsParkRoyalR

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 11:09 - Feb 6 by traininvain

Big difference between wanting our players to be match fit (which we all do) and bringing up incidents from 10-15 years ago as justification to criticise Austin’s lifestyle along with stories that you saw him drinking in a pub after the Rotherham game moaning about being subbed.

But I guess we’ll have to take your word for the last part.

It wasn't 10 - 15 years ago, it was the year before he joined us, those stories aren't just restricted to that time, but I don't care about those stories - I care about why a player is gassed after 10 sometimes 20 minutes - if you disagree fine, but do watch him closely next time he plays - he's properly fecked after minimal effort and I've never seen this before.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 11:24 - Feb 6 with 1690 viewstraininvain

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 11:17 - Feb 6 by ParkRoyalR

It wasn't 10 - 15 years ago, it was the year before he joined us, those stories aren't just restricted to that time, but I don't care about those stories - I care about why a player is gassed after 10 sometimes 20 minutes - if you disagree fine, but do watch him closely next time he plays - he's properly fecked after minimal effort and I've never seen this before.

The incident you brought up was October 2012 so it happened nearly 10 years ago: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-22759753.amp

I agree that his fitness isn’t up to scratch but I don’t think it helps your argument pointing to incidents from 10 years ago and unsubstantiated pub stories. Just seems a bit like sh1t stirring.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2022 11:24]
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 11:25 - Feb 6 with 1679 viewsdanehoop

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 11:10 - Feb 6 by ParkRoyalR

Was that in reference to the 'he's still too heavy but not as heavy as a few months back' point? Very rational, reasonable and accurate, so shouldn't we at least ask why? Is it his focus is elsewhere (Talksport, Horse Racing etc) now that he's bagged his very lucrative 2 year payday?

I was agreeing with Golborne. I don't particularly agree with you.

I don't particularly agree with a thread digging out one of our players for their perceived failings. At the end of the day the squad has been on a decent run, getting results even when playing badly. We were going to have an off day. The manager picked a team that should have had more than enough to beat Peterborough, but for whatever reason it didn't work. Such is life, an off day and unfortunate. Disappointed, but move on.

The reaction to the first lost in a very long period after an incredible run of form seems to have been the touchstone for some of the negative posters to return. 4 Pages having a go at Austin is more than we have had for praising Field or Willock in an individual game. Very odd support we have sometimes.

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 11:34 - Feb 6 with 1644 viewsParkRoyalR

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 11:25 - Feb 6 by danehoop

I don't particularly agree with a thread digging out one of our players for their perceived failings. At the end of the day the squad has been on a decent run, getting results even when playing badly. We were going to have an off day. The manager picked a team that should have had more than enough to beat Peterborough, but for whatever reason it didn't work. Such is life, an off day and unfortunate. Disappointed, but move on.

The reaction to the first lost in a very long period after an incredible run of form seems to have been the touchstone for some of the negative posters to return. 4 Pages having a go at Austin is more than we have had for praising Field or Willock in an individual game. Very odd support we have sometimes.

I agree with Golborne that's he's too heavy which I find unacceptable for a highly paid full-time professional athlete - others are fine with it, so I'll just have to agree to differ.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 11:42 - Feb 6 with 1628 viewsgolborne

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 11:10 - Feb 6 by ParkRoyalR

You might want to check on the story of his grandmother being terminally ill and then dying, and MW telling him to spend more time with his family to help him through it. He openly talks about his head being elsewhere for months and not training properly. I’m actually less concerned about his fitness than his basic footballing skills, but one I’m sure he’s working on and the other at times comes when you think about things too much. He’s not playing with any freedom, but does try to makes amends for his many current mistakes. He just needs to bag a couple of goals and relax, and I’m sure that will come. He’s a good player in poor form, and as they say form is temporary. We fortunately have enough class in this side to cover it. At least he has Gray back this week to take the pelters- imagine if we weren’t carrying these two, we might actually be in the play off positions and a couple of points off automatic…
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 11:43 - Feb 6 with 1620 viewsParkRoyalR

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 11:24 - Feb 6 by traininvain

The incident you brought up was October 2012 so it happened nearly 10 years ago: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-22759753.amp

I agree that his fitness isn’t up to scratch but I don’t think it helps your argument pointing to incidents from 10 years ago and unsubstantiated pub stories. Just seems a bit like sh1t stirring.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2022 11:24]

Our highest paid player leaves the pitch and sits in the stand - I can't recall this ever happening before.

He then decants to a local pub for a few pints (I wasn't the only Rangers fan in The PV post match) no big deal in the 70's or 80's but fairly unsual now, especially when a few in the fan base are seriously questioning your fitness + conditioning.

Nothing personal here, if Willock can pin-point cross onto his head for every last 10 minutes until the end of the season I'll be the happiest R on here, trust me on that one too.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 11:49 - Feb 6 with 1603 viewsParkRoyalR

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 11:42 - Feb 6 by golborne

You might want to check on the story of his grandmother being terminally ill and then dying, and MW telling him to spend more time with his family to help him through it. He openly talks about his head being elsewhere for months and not training properly. I’m actually less concerned about his fitness than his basic footballing skills, but one I’m sure he’s working on and the other at times comes when you think about things too much. He’s not playing with any freedom, but does try to makes amends for his many current mistakes. He just needs to bag a couple of goals and relax, and I’m sure that will come. He’s a good player in poor form, and as they say form is temporary. We fortunately have enough class in this side to cover it. At least he has Gray back this week to take the pelters- imagine if we weren’t carrying these two, we might actually be in the play off positions and a couple of points off automatic…

I understand that and do have sympathy and am sure other players have suffered the same (as Willock did for a few games after the death of his uncle) but he's been back on great form on Talksport for a good while now and your concerns regarding technique etc is borne out of poor conditioning imo.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 11:50 - Feb 6 with 1591 viewsSuperhoops2808

I agree with you... There are several posters here that have had all this negativity brewing up and not been able to vent it... At the first sign of anything they pick an easy target. In fact, someone picked out Gray in another thread too. It was also pointed out that Austin up to now has won us 7 points from his goals so far this season. If thats the difference between a top 6 finish or not then lets remember that.

Sure the likes of L Block will be along soon if we have a few more defeats.

Yesterday was not good, but I wouldnt swap our place in the league and current performances for one more game in what is in effect a tinpot cup that hardly anyone is bothered about these days.

Roll on Wednesday and hopefully a chance to put it to bed.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 11:55 - Feb 6 with 1561 viewsdanehoop

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 11:49 - Feb 6 by ParkRoyalR

I understand that and do have sympathy and am sure other players have suffered the same (as Willock did for a few games after the death of his uncle) but he's been back on great form on Talksport for a good while now and your concerns regarding technique etc is borne out of poor conditioning imo.

And the important point is your last one "imo."

It is just that. Your opinion. Thanks for sharing.

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 12:10 - Feb 6 with 1530 viewsParkRoyalR

I think the touchstone as you say to this thread is not negativity but coincided with us having to rely on Austin for a full 90 minutes. I said after Rotherham game where he struggled into 2nd Half he could only be relied on for a 15 minute cameo so probably shouldn't have started a thread stating the obvious - somethings are sometimes best left as the elephant in the loft for words room.

Anyhow, unlikely to start on Wednesday, may get a 15 minute cameo until Gray returns so all good imo.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 12:19 - Feb 6 with 1492 viewsTGRRRSSS

I am not sure on yesterday specifically but I do think as Charlie heads towards the end of his career other things are starting to become the focus.

I remember when Deeley started (then at Watford) to do things on Talksport - and thinking it's interesting but not sure I want a QPR player doing it.

Lo and behold now there is, as a presenter basically.

Not saying it's the main cause but when your focus starts to distract....

Interesting reading Dylan Hartley talk about a conversation with Eddie Jones on this when Jones asked him about Haskell.

Jones had seen Haskell doing his other stuff (correctly in many ways) but described him as "retired".

Hartley disagreed with him, but regardless Haskell was never picked by Jones again.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 12:20 - Feb 6 with 1486 viewsPhildo

Wow. Four pages. I love the bloke. Brought the dog back into the side.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 12:27 - Feb 6 with 1469 views1JD

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 11:50 - Feb 6 by Superhoops2808

I agree with you... There are several posters here that have had all this negativity brewing up and not been able to vent it... At the first sign of anything they pick an easy target. In fact, someone picked out Gray in another thread too. It was also pointed out that Austin up to now has won us 7 points from his goals so far this season. If thats the difference between a top 6 finish or not then lets remember that.

Sure the likes of L Block will be along soon if we have a few more defeats.

Yesterday was not good, but I wouldnt swap our place in the league and current performances for one more game in what is in effect a tinpot cup that hardly anyone is bothered about these days.

Roll on Wednesday and hopefully a chance to put it to bed.

Austin has scored 4 goals in 23 championship appearances. 7 points may have been won. But equally, what would another striker have scored, given the opportunity and same amount of games?

Perhaps someone else could score 8 goals in 23 appearances because they are more mobile, for example. Which yields more points. The idea of points contribution as a strong argument is flawed because it doesn’t consider what the alternative could have been given the same opportunity. Anyone can be made to look good when there is no comparison available.

At 20k + a week, and taking up one of 3 x striker options, I’d certainly have hoped for more contribution than 4 in 23 games. For that price, you have to have a strong all round game - assists, hold up play, pressing ability, etc, or you score goals. He is doing neither.

Its been clear since the very start of this season his “legs have gone” - no performance has indicated otherwise. Those suggesting fitness is the issue will be waiting a long time. Amazing really, because he’s only 32. The club has a problem with his contract for next season that’s for sure.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 12:37 - Feb 6 with 1424 viewsParkRoyalR

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 12:27 - Feb 6 by 1JD

Austin has scored 4 goals in 23 championship appearances. 7 points may have been won. But equally, what would another striker have scored, given the opportunity and same amount of games?

Perhaps someone else could score 8 goals in 23 appearances because they are more mobile, for example. Which yields more points. The idea of points contribution as a strong argument is flawed because it doesn’t consider what the alternative could have been given the same opportunity. Anyone can be made to look good when there is no comparison available.

At 20k + a week, and taking up one of 3 x striker options, I’d certainly have hoped for more contribution than 4 in 23 games. For that price, you have to have a strong all round game - assists, hold up play, pressing ability, etc, or you score goals. He is doing neither.

Its been clear since the very start of this season his “legs have gone” - no performance has indicated otherwise. Those suggesting fitness is the issue will be waiting a long time. Amazing really, because he’s only 32. The club has a problem with his contract for next season that’s for sure.

I have been waiting for his fitness to improve after his missed time and yesterday was the final straw for me on that front, which is what prompted the thread.

I am not a physio so don't know too much about 'his legs have gone' - usually more noticeable in boxers - but if that's the case it coincided pretty soon after his new contract was signed as he was in far better condition in April than September.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 12:43 - Feb 6 with 1403 views1JD

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 12:37 - Feb 6 by ParkRoyalR

I have been waiting for his fitness to improve after his missed time and yesterday was the final straw for me on that front, which is what prompted the thread.

I am not a physio so don't know too much about 'his legs have gone' - usually more noticeable in boxers - but if that's the case it coincided pretty soon after his new contract was signed as he was in far better condition in April than September.

Definitely a significant drop off in his ability to move about the pitch versus last season. Something you imagine the club would not have bargained for.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024