Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Charlie Austin - Discuss... 17:21 - Feb 5 with 24953 viewsParkRoyalR

I know he gets a 6 every week, must be at least a 5 for getting into those shorts, today was blowing hard after 10, and to be that unfit at this stage in the season is a disgrace, with him we are playing with 10 men.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 18:15 - Feb 6 with 4521 viewsNorthernr

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 18:13 - Feb 6 by ParkRoyalR

Clive, given offence taken by my fellow R's, could you change the title on my behalf as suggested by clareman or something similar, thanks!

I'll just switch it to Charlie Austin mate.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 18:17 - Feb 6 with 4499 viewsdaveB

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 18:06 - Feb 6 by 1JD

Completing 90 minutes is beside the point - he can’t run. Anyone can see that. And sadly, he also gives the ball away for fun. I could complete 90 minutes but am I effective,no. It’s abundantly clear there is a problem with Austin. It’s been clear from the beginning of this season.

However, its appears to be a touchy subject due to his successful history at the club. We have fans praising his professionalism and experience at the club for our younger players - yet conveniently forgetting / ignoring his unprofessionalism - regular petulant behaviour kicking out at the opposition and risking a red, and sulking having been subbed and sat on his jacksie in the ellerslie when 2 impressionable youth team players are sat on the bench watching on.

Regardless; the real crux of the issue for me is the massive wage he is on relative to our other players. You want that, you need to deliver, and you need to deliver consistently as far as I am concerned. That’s what you get paid the big bucks for. Had he been on a much smaller wage to see his career out as an impact sub - I’d have no real issue.

I don't know what his salary is so can't really comment on that to be honest, i doubt he's on massive money but I really don't know
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 18:19 - Feb 6 with 4485 viewsStreathamRanger

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 18:17 - Feb 6 by daveB

I don't know what his salary is so can't really comment on that to be honest, i doubt he's on massive money but I really don't know

Surely he's our top earner. Who'd be on more?
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 18:22 - Feb 6 with 4470 viewsdaveB

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 18:19 - Feb 6 by StreathamRanger

Surely he's our top earner. Who'd be on more?

like i say I don't know what they are paid so i could guess and speculate but I doubt that would be overly helpful
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 18:36 - Feb 6 with 4385 views1JD

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 18:22 - Feb 6 by daveB

like i say I don't know what they are paid so i could guess and speculate but I doubt that would be overly helpful

It was widely reported he was on 70k a week at West Brom. He was quoted in the summer as saying QPR need to show him they mean business with any permanent contract offer, and that it’s up to the club to do that, because he knows what he’s worth and he obviously has options. Make of that what you will.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 18:41 - Feb 6 with 4364 viewsdaveB

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 18:36 - Feb 6 by 1JD

It was widely reported he was on 70k a week at West Brom. He was quoted in the summer as saying QPR need to show him they mean business with any permanent contract offer, and that it’s up to the club to do that, because he knows what he’s worth and he obviously has options. Make of that what you will.

He said he wanted to see if they meant business in terms of going for promotion rather than giving him massive money, thats the way I read it anyway. he spoke a lot wanting to push for promotion rather than settle for mid table before he signed.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 18:42 - Feb 6 with 4358 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 18:41 - Feb 6 by daveB

He said he wanted to see if they meant business in terms of going for promotion rather than giving him massive money, thats the way I read it anyway. he spoke a lot wanting to push for promotion rather than settle for mid table before he signed.

That's how I read it too.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 18:46 - Feb 6 with 4336 views1JD

Does that mean he is not on big wages?
Login to get fewer ads

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 19:00 - Feb 6 with 4267 viewsStreathamRanger

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 18:46 - Feb 6 by 1JD

He's clearly going to be one of our top earners and regardless of how much he's paid and his past successes with the club, he's out of form/fitness at the moment. Presumably, the management can see that but they've had to play him with other players being absent. Trouble is, none of our strikers are what you'd call prolific. Hence why most are in agreement that Chair and Willock just behind Dykes is our best bet. Dykes also our most saleable asset so best to give him the most exposure assuming he's not injured. Charlie will score goals off the bench and if he's not happy with that then he needs to prove to the coaching staff that he's fit and sharp enough to play from the start.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 19:03 - Feb 6 with 4227 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 17:34 - Feb 5 by traininvain

That’s the way I see it. I don’t think Austin should be starting games. He’s not the same players and age has caught up with him. But I can see him making a useful contribution coming off the bench as we saw against WBA.

I agree given QPR largely play with 1 up front. However he was signed to be QPR's number 1 striker but has rather fallen into the role of backup by default. His performances this season, by his own admission, have been well below par but they're being somewhat overlooked because of the emergence of Dykes and performance of the team.

Still, no point looking back. One can only hope that he pulls it together and goes on a run that fires QPR to success.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 19:09 - Feb 6 with 4216 viewsdaveB

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 18:46 - Feb 6 by 1JD

Depends what you mean by big wages. Like i say I don't know what he is on but would imagine he is on a lot less than 70k a week but still one of our top earners but ultimately I don't know either way
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 19:12 - Feb 6 with 4203 viewsParkRoyalR

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 18:15 - Feb 6 by Northernr

I'll just switch it to Charlie Austin mate.

Cheers, I owe you one, just don't ask for 3 pints of peroni
Charlie Austin - Discuss... on 19:41 - Feb 6 with 4109 viewsBazzeR

Regarding players wages I think a wage cap was introduced with incentives for results and league position accrued.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 20:56 - Feb 6 with 3921 viewsGloryHunter

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 19:12 - Feb 6 by ParkRoyalR

Cheers, I owe you one, just don't ask for 3 pints of peroni

I often go in the Princess Victoria before the games. I'm going to starting hanging out in there after. And if Charlie goes to the Gents, I'm going to follow him in.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) (n/t) on 22:32 - Feb 6 with 3786 viewsWestbourneR

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 17:51 - Feb 6 by Northernr

I agree with this.

I think he deserves respect for what he's done for the club over two spells. Some of the stuff on social media is disgusting.

I also think it's worth bearing in mind how much pressure the entire support base put on the club to sign him permanently, how much grief they'd have got if they didn't, how much stick certain podcasters got for merely suggesting Austin probably wasn't what he once was.

But, on the evidence of what we've seen, he's now at the impact sub stage of his career. West Brom home, pretty perfectly summed up where he is for us. Might stage a big comeback, hope he does, but that was very, very poor yesterday and his fitness, mobility etc isn't where it should be. He's not 38/39, but he looks and plays like it.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 16:36 - Feb 9 with 3297 viewsPinnerPaul

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 17:05 - Feb 6 by daveB

I think the title of this thread is a disgrace to be honest, he didn't play well yesterday but not fit to wear the shirt, absolute rubbish

incredible the insight people on here have on Austins contract, lifestyle, fitness etc. When Austin arrived many said he couldn't play many games due to his injury record, he's not missed a game through injury since he came back, for all the talk of a lack of fitness he finished the game yesterday despite claims he was unable to run.

Stats can always be used to paint whatever picture you want. He's started 13 league games this season with 4 goals, to compare to the other strikers Dykes has 17 starts for his 8 goals and Gray (who is constantly slaughtered on here) has 5 in 7 starts. He's likely to finish the season with double figures again which is what most would have expected.

If there was a major issue with Austins as some on here seem to suggest not a chance Warburton would be standing for it let alone singling his professionalism out for praise

Add to that his fitness levels are not determined by having a look at him every now again from 50, 60 yards away. I'm sure even his harshest critics on this thread spend the majority of the time watching the actual match - no?

They (the club) know how far every player runs, their sprints, weight, bmi etc etc etc, all those things we can only guess at, unless someone is claiming to have hacked into or stolen his fitness vest (not sure what they are actually called btw!) or maybe he left it in the pub?
Charlie Austin - Discuss... on 16:43 - Feb 9 with 3248 viewsPinnerPaul

Charlie Austin - Discuss... on 19:41 - Feb 6 by BazzeR

Regarding players wages I think a wage cap was introduced with incentives for results and league position accrued.

That 2nd bit we DO know, because ages ago Lee Hoos said 7th v 17th made no difference £s wise.

7th - bigger gates etc but player/staff bonuses go up, reverse true if 17th obviously.
Charlie Austin - Discuss... on 00:51 - Feb 10 with 3029 viewsnumptydumpty

You can't knock Charlie - but !!!

He not totally focused and fitness from last season massively different.

Understand why Charlie does the media work and has another interest in the horses. They his future careers.

And got the part about bereavement.

But his main job is QPR.

Really for the amount money he earns, somehow the club should put clause in his contract that he cannot take on any other work which COULD effect his performances for ourselves.

Legend of the club so its hard to knock the man.

But seems the decline is ongoing although obviously be fantastic if proved wrong. I guess though we never know the full facts...

Bet on him score the winner in last minute of play off final !!!
[Post edited 10 Feb 2022 0:52]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 20:37 - Feb 10 with 2846 viewsBenny_the_Ball

With respect, that's how you and Brian read it but it's not what he actually said. He wanted QPR to match his ambition (for promotion) but he never said anything about taking low wages in return.

I read it a different way; that he simply did not want to be involved in a relegation scrap and was looking to see what other signings QPR would make to demonstrate that they shared his ambition.

Having matched his ambition, unfortunately Charlie has failed to live up to his side of the bargain. He's still overweight and unfit, and his goals return is poor. Rather than just resign himself to a new status of super-sub, I would like to see him shape up and deliver in the final push.

The team has performed admirably despite his poor contribution and there is still a great opportunity for him to be the hero in this season's story.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2022 20:40]
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 21:01 - Feb 10 with 2809 viewsdaveB

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 20:37 - Feb 10 by Benny_the_Ball

With respect, that's how you and Brian read it but it's not what he actually said. He wanted QPR to match his ambition (for promotion) but he never said anything about taking low wages in return.

I read it a different way; that he simply did not want to be involved in a relegation scrap and was looking to see what other signings QPR would make to demonstrate that they shared his ambition.

Having matched his ambition, unfortunately Charlie has failed to live up to his side of the bargain. He's still overweight and unfit, and his goals return is poor. Rather than just resign himself to a new status of super-sub, I would like to see him shape up and deliver in the final push.

The team has performed admirably despite his poor contribution and there is still a great opportunity for him to be the hero in this season's story.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2022 20:40]

I'm not sure many players would talk publicly about wages but i think he knew the club were not going to be able to match what he was on at West Brom and he was equally unlikely to get that elsewhere so a pay cut was always likely for him, i doubt he's on low wages but will be on nothing like what he was on before.

I also don't buy the whole unfit thing. Surely if he was unfit he wouldn't be available to play that often. I think he's missed 1 match at Hull through injury since he came back last season. Warburton is guided by sports science and terrified of players getting injured so it's been the plan from day 1 that Austin plays an hour one week, off the bench the next, he's used Gray in a similar fashion as well.

For me he's lost a yard of pace over the summer and he's struggling to get into space quickly enough to capitalise on chances he was scoring last season, he also looks frustrated with himself which is seeing him drop too deep and try to hard to get involved in the game rather than stick to the basics.

I also think an issue with the whole team is we don't create a lot of chances so none of our strikers have scored that many this season as they are getting 1/2 chances a game rather than the 4/5 that other strikers are getting at other clubs. Austin was poor at Peterbough but I don't remember the team creating a single chance for either him or Dykes all game, even last night Dykes struggled to hurt them as very few crosses or balls in behind were being played.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 04:56 - Feb 13 with 2561 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 21:01 - Feb 10 by daveB

I'm not sure many players would talk publicly about wages but i think he knew the club were not going to be able to match what he was on at West Brom and he was equally unlikely to get that elsewhere so a pay cut was always likely for him, i doubt he's on low wages but will be on nothing like what he was on before.

I also don't buy the whole unfit thing. Surely if he was unfit he wouldn't be available to play that often. I think he's missed 1 match at Hull through injury since he came back last season. Warburton is guided by sports science and terrified of players getting injured so it's been the plan from day 1 that Austin plays an hour one week, off the bench the next, he's used Gray in a similar fashion as well.

For me he's lost a yard of pace over the summer and he's struggling to get into space quickly enough to capitalise on chances he was scoring last season, he also looks frustrated with himself which is seeing him drop too deep and try to hard to get involved in the game rather than stick to the basics.

I also think an issue with the whole team is we don't create a lot of chances so none of our strikers have scored that many this season as they are getting 1/2 chances a game rather than the 4/5 that other strikers are getting at other clubs. Austin was poor at Peterbough but I don't remember the team creating a single chance for either him or Dykes all game, even last night Dykes struggled to hurt them as very few crosses or balls in behind were being played.

Of course he won't be earning anywhere near the £70k pw he was getting at West Brom but even with a 60% pay cut he'll comfortably be one of the higher earners in the team, if not the highest.

I think your stat on Austin's appearances is slightly misleading because in most of these games Charlie has either come on as a substitute or been subbed himself. He also missed a portion of the season for personal reasons. You and I both know that Austin was signed as a main striker. If Warburton and his sports scientists feel that Austin is now better utilised as an impact sub, it's because Charlie is not fit enough to play the full 90 minutes.

That being said, I do agree that Charlie has lost a yard of pace. However, again, this is linked to lack of fitness. Charlie is 32, not 38. Anyone with eyes in their head can see that he's carrying too much timber. He's a professional athlete that trains almost every day so he really should be in better shape.

I'm also uncomfortable with his side hustles, like TalkSport. For me they show a lack of focus and commitment to the cause. He should concentrate on his primary job and leave the punditry for when he retires from playing.

P.S. The strikers are getting chances but they're just not converting. Austin blazed a couple of efforts over the bar against Peterborough. Dykes missed a sitter to win the game at home to Swansea and completely missed a simple header to snatch a draw at Barnsley. They both need to improve if QPR are to get the job done this season.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2022 19:02]
Charlie Austin - Discuss... on 08:03 - Feb 13 with 2432 viewsLogman

I'm worried about Austin. Whichever way you look at it his legs are going and the reality is that in the not too distant future he may be of limited use, even as an impact sub, because pace is what you want coming on against tired defenders. If I'm being honest, I think his time is up for us.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 10:57 - Feb 14 with 2133 viewsdaveB

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 04:56 - Feb 13 by Benny_the_Ball

Of course he won't be earning anywhere near the £70k pw he was getting at West Brom but even with a 60% pay cut he'll comfortably be one of the higher earners in the team, if not the highest.

I think your stat on Austin's appearances is slightly misleading because in most of these games Charlie has either come on as a substitute or been subbed himself. He also missed a portion of the season for personal reasons. You and I both know that Austin was signed as a main striker. If Warburton and his sports scientists feel that Austin is now better utilised as an impact sub, it's because Charlie is not fit enough to play the full 90 minutes.

That being said, I do agree that Charlie has lost a yard of pace. However, again, this is linked to lack of fitness. Charlie is 32, not 38. Anyone with eyes in their head can see that he's carrying too much timber. He's a professional athlete that trains almost every day so he really should be in better shape.

I'm also uncomfortable with his side hustles, like TalkSport. For me they show a lack of focus and commitment to the cause. He should concentrate on his primary job and leave the punditry for when he retires from playing.

P.S. The strikers are getting chances but they're just not converting. Austin blazed a couple of efforts over the bar against Peterborough. Dykes missed a sitter to win the game at home to Swansea and completely missed a simple header to snatch a draw at Barnsley. They both need to improve if QPR are to get the job done this season.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2022 19:02]

Much of what you are saying about Austin was the same last season.. He was doing various podcasts and talksport appearances when all was going well. His physical shape looks the same as it did last season as well as never seemed to be an issue that he only usually played an hour last season as well. I think that comes from the whole sports science thing and players in their 30's more likely to get injured late in games.

I don't think we create a lot of chances for any of the forwards 1 or 2 per game is not going to bring a lot of goals. Apart from the really world class forwards most strikers usually need at least 2/3 chances to score a goal.

One thing I think has changed is our style, we were quite direct at times when he first came back, getting balls into the box less build up play but as the team developed we went from just Chair to playing Chair and Willock and just one up front, the build up is more methodical now and although it can and has worked well on many occasions I don't think that gets the best out of our forwards.

I should say I'd agree that he isn't playing well at the moment, I'm not blind to it, I just found some of the personal criticism on here a bit over the top
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 02:53 - Feb 15 with 1843 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 10:57 - Feb 14 by daveB

Much of what you are saying about Austin was the same last season.. He was doing various podcasts and talksport appearances when all was going well. His physical shape looks the same as it did last season as well as never seemed to be an issue that he only usually played an hour last season as well. I think that comes from the whole sports science thing and players in their 30's more likely to get injured late in games.

I don't think we create a lot of chances for any of the forwards 1 or 2 per game is not going to bring a lot of goals. Apart from the really world class forwards most strikers usually need at least 2/3 chances to score a goal.

One thing I think has changed is our style, we were quite direct at times when he first came back, getting balls into the box less build up play but as the team developed we went from just Chair to playing Chair and Willock and just one up front, the build up is more methodical now and although it can and has worked well on many occasions I don't think that gets the best out of our forwards.

I should say I'd agree that he isn't playing well at the moment, I'm not blind to it, I just found some of the personal criticism on here a bit over the top

Austin only joined in January 2021 so comparisons to last season are futile. When he did join he was our main striker and not an impact sub. Moreover, he was on loan so it was difficult to control his side hustles. Having since signed permanently he should focus on his primary job, particularly as it's not going well. Instead, the media work has increased.

I do agree that the style has changed and this has contributed to the lack of goals up front. Not so much the directness but more the balance between defence and attack. Previously MW put less emphasis on defence and was happy to win games by attempting to outscore the opposition. Inevitably he reached a point where a more pragmatic approach was required which resulted in less goals being scored.

I wholeheartedly agree that personal criticism is unwarranted however I haven't seen it on here. What I have seen is constructive criticism of a football player who is getting well paid to be a professional athlete who scores goals. This season he is out of shape and short on goals. If he was fit and trying hard then I would have more sympathy but it's difficult to keep backing a player that can't even get the fundamentals right.

We can talk about fitness, shape, style and media work until the cows come home but the bottom line is that strikers are judged on goals. This season Charlie has scored 6 goals in 28 appearances and provided 1 solitary assist. That's simply not a good enough return for a striker of his ability. He's capable of giving more if he wants to; a lot more.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 19:41 - Feb 21 with 1546 viewsNoDiddley

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 20:44 - Feb 5 by ParkRoyalR

Lets disagree on this as we have a player nowhere near match fitness making minimal effort who exited the pitch and sat in the Ellerslie Stand for 15 minutes recently as he said later in The Princess Vic after his 3rd pint of Perroni it was because he had 'the hump' being substituted. Not a great example of cohesive spirit imo.

I've said for a long while now last 15 minute impact player at best but seeing him blowing so hard after10 minutes today and watching him for last 15 versus Reading I'm not sure he can do 15 minutes in his current condition.

Lifestyle, injury toll, age, whatever - starting with him is like playing with 10 men. Sad but true.

Spoke to his bestie Saturday it was 2 pints, you can clarify with him he’s the 6’ 9” fella in the White Horse pre match every home game.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024