Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Charlie Austin - Discuss... 17:21 - Feb 5 with 24949 viewsParkRoyalR

I know he gets a 6 every week, must be at least a 5 for getting into those shorts, today was blowing hard after 10, and to be that unfit at this stage in the season is a disgrace, with him we are playing with 10 men.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 12:54 - Feb 6 with 2640 viewsNorthernr

Just on the original "I know he gets a 6 every week", Austin has had a 5 or less in our match reports on 13 occasions this season and this one will be 14.

He's also only had north of a 6 on four occasions, 3x7 and 1x8.

Full set across the season up to but not including yesterday...

5 5 5 5 5 5 8 6 7 5 6 4 6 6 5 6 6 7 5 6 - 5 7 6 5 = 5.66 average

His average on the interactive ratings, which you guys vote for, is 5.70.

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 13:03 - Feb 6 with 2580 viewsParkRoyalR

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 12:54 - Feb 6 by Northernr

Just on the original "I know he gets a 6 every week", Austin has had a 5 or less in our match reports on 13 occasions this season and this one will be 14.

He's also only had north of a 6 on four occasions, 3x7 and 1x8.

Full set across the season up to but not including yesterday...

5 5 5 5 5 5 8 6 7 5 6 4 6 6 5 6 6 7 5 6 - 5 7 6 5 = 5.66 average

His average on the interactive ratings, which you guys vote for, is 5.70.

Fair point, stand corrected, just if our old mate Troy Deeney's getting a 3 for a similar level of performance, think the debate on this thread has been a long time coming. Actually feel better finding out Armstrong wasn't on the bench as took a knock as believe we need pace off the bench for the run-up as Posh had yesterday.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 13:20 - Feb 6 with 2492 viewsted_hendrix

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 20:44 - Feb 5 by ParkRoyalR

Lets disagree on this as we have a player nowhere near match fitness making minimal effort who exited the pitch and sat in the Ellerslie Stand for 15 minutes recently as he said later in The Princess Vic after his 3rd pint of Perroni it was because he had 'the hump' being substituted. Not a great example of cohesive spirit imo.

I've said for a long while now last 15 minute impact player at best but seeing him blowing so hard after10 minutes today and watching him for last 15 versus Reading I'm not sure he can do 15 minutes in his current condition.

Lifestyle, injury toll, age, whatever - starting with him is like playing with 10 men. Sad but true.

*as he said later in The Princess Vic after his 3rd pint of Perroni it was because he had 'the hump*

Why didnt you take the opportunity there and then to tell Charlie to his face that he's not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts)?

Golden opportunity missed if you ask me, horse mouth and all that.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 13:34 - Feb 6 with 2418 viewsdistortR

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 13:20 - Feb 6 by ted_hendrix

*as he said later in The Princess Vic after his 3rd pint of Perroni it was because he had 'the hump*

Why didnt you take the opportunity there and then to tell Charlie to his face that he's not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts)?

Hard to have it coming straight from the horses mouth when you're talking out of your arse, to be fair.

I agree Austin has been poor recently, I don't agree that he is not committed and I think he still has a big role to play this season. Coating him off and casting aspersions on his character is really going to help him, in a season where we know he has had a hard time mentally.

hey f'kin ho
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 13:36 - Feb 6 with 2394 viewsParkRoyalR

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 13:20 - Feb 6 by ted_hendrix

Maybe I was giving him the benefit of the doubt regaining his fitness wise, or maybe I was mindful of copping what that Swindon Town fan did. Maybe we're a month on from that game and having seen a full 90 minutes rather than 60 minutes the problem became more obvious.

Anyway, 1JD's probably called it right, and maybe his legs have just gone and we are paying for a super sub who can also develop his strike partners. Again a coincidence, but Dykes's positional play has improved off the scale since Austin arrived.

Its not my money paying his wages and if he contributed in anyway to a promotion I'm sure Ruben & Co will consider it money well spent. If not, maybe next year they'll be thinking that's another million quid we can ill afford to lose.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 13:37 - Feb 6 with 2389 viewssoops

Different players have different levels of fitness no matter how hard they work (as they also have different levels of skill). I don’t think Charlie would ever have the stamina of Uncs or Wallace. That goal he scored v Charlton in 2014 or whatever it was - I recall him saying then that he hit it from 25 yards as he was too knackered to keep running and only half an hour into the game!
As others have said - it’s not working with him and Dykes as 2 up top - use him as an impact sub, or rotate and use him for 60 minutes before taking him off.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 13:39 - Feb 6 with 2380 viewsEsox_Lucius

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 13:36 - Feb 6 by ParkRoyalR

Maybe I was giving him the benefit of the doubt regaining his fitness wise, or maybe I was mindful of copping what that Swindon Town fan did. Maybe we're a month on from that game and having seen a full 90 minutes rather than 60 minutes the problem became more obvious.

Anyway, 1JD's probably called it right, and maybe his legs have just gone and we are paying for a super sub who can also develop his strike partners. Again a coincidence, but Dykes's positional play has improved off the scale since Austin arrived.

Its not my money paying his wages and if he contributed in anyway to a promotion I'm sure Ruben & Co will consider it money well spent. If not, maybe next year they'll be thinking that's another million quid we can ill afford to lose.

So failure to get promoted will be solely Austin's fault? Hand your shovel over to someone.

The grass is always greener.

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 13:40 - Feb 6 with 2369 viewsParkRoyalR

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 13:39 - Feb 6 by Esox_Lucius

So failure to get promoted will be solely Austin's fault? Hand your shovel over to someone.

Of course not, but we will still be losing over a million pound a month, and spending a million pound in wages on a 3rd choice striker who's legs have gone.
Login to get fewer ads

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 14:30 - Feb 6 with 2210 viewsEsox_Lucius

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 13:40 - Feb 6 by ParkRoyalR

Of course not, but we will still be losing over a million pound a month, and spending a million pound in wages on a 3rd choice striker who's legs have gone.

Source?

The grass is always greener.

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 15:08 - Feb 6 with 2102 viewsSK_hoops

He's won us 7 points with his goals and assists this season. Won us the league Cup game against and Everton and was a terrible decision away from winning that Sunderland tie for us which would have set us up with a nice game against the gunners. Is he the talismanic centre forward of old? No. Has he made valuable contributions to the team? Yes.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2022 15:10]
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 16:09 - Feb 6 with 1942 viewsstrikerace

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 15:08 - Feb 6 by SK_hoops

He's won us 7 points with his goals and assists this season. Won us the league Cup game against and Everton and was a terrible decision away from winning that Sunderland tie for us which would have set us up with a nice game against the gunners. Is he the talismanic centre forward of old? No. Has he made valuable contributions to the team? Yes.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2022 15:10]

Plus the effect he has had on many young players on the squad. Numerous players during the past 2 seasons have mentioned how he has given them advice, and helped them get better. Not all learning comes from coaches, and have leadership from a veteran who is respected is important.

Also he 90th minute winner vs WBA may turn out to be the most important goal of the season
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 16:14 - Feb 6 with 1929 viewsBrianMcCarthy

ParkRoyalR,

Just so you know you're not alone, I agree with you that his fitness is awful, that he's playing poorly and that his decision to sit in the Ellerslie was disrespectful and unprofessional. I think all of those are fair comments for supporters to make.

I'll add that his finishing stats are worse than either Dykes or Gray.

I know nothing about his behaviour off the pitch so I'm not commenting on that.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 16:20 - Feb 6 with 1910 viewsT_Block

Please show some respect to Austin.He knows he is off the pace, he knows he is in decline that does not mean he is not trying.Not fit to wear the hoops is a degrading insult by an idiot.I thought Rangers fans were better than that.Strikers are our weakest area and if it wasn't for the improvement in Dykes and goals from elsewhere consistently we would not be where we are in the league.To Austin's credit he has scored some key goals ,just not enough and does not look like scoring.
Yesterday showed we are not ready for a play-off final with the present strike force.I still think we are one/two seasons away and through team spirit are over-achieving.
We need pace at the back ,a new play maker, and a pacy striker.We need patience and careful buying.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 16:27 - Feb 6 with 1880 viewsCLAREMAN1995

I wish the OP would change that Thread Headline to fitness concerns hurt Charle Austin again.
He is obviously struggling with his fitness and its showing but the man can find the space to bang in the goals still which we desperately need .
Its hard to believe our Manager expects him to start and deliver for 90 minutes anymore so maybe his decision needs second guessing.
Nobody comes out of yesterday with huge praise but last week we had a team of superstars who could do no wrong.
Lets turn the page and move ahead to Wednesday
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 16:28 - Feb 6 with 1877 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

‘Why do QPR simply not go out and buy a 30 goals a season striker?’

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 16:50 - Feb 6 with 1814 viewsParkRoyalR

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 16:27 - Feb 6 by CLAREMAN1995

I wish the OP would change that Thread Headline to fitness concerns hurt Charle Austin again.
He is obviously struggling with his fitness and its showing but the man can find the space to bang in the goals still which we desperately need .
Its hard to believe our Manager expects him to start and deliver for 90 minutes anymore so maybe his decision needs second guessing.
Nobody comes out of yesterday with huge praise but last week we had a team of superstars who could do no wrong.
Lets turn the page and move ahead to Wednesday

Happy to change thread headline as was a pun intended to draw attention to the elephant in the room.

Not fit to wear his shorts wasn't accurate but happy if anyone wants to change to whatever.

Not sure Field or Dykes or whoever runs themselves into the ground most games would get such a varied defence as we've have on this thread.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 16:53 - Feb 6 with 1800 viewsbosh67

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 16:50 - Feb 6 by ParkRoyalR

Happy to change thread headline as was a pun intended to draw attention to the elephant in the room.

Not fit to wear his shorts wasn't accurate but happy if anyone wants to change to whatever.

Not sure Field or Dykes or whoever runs themselves into the ground most games would get such a varied defence as we've have on this thread.

I think the point is that he's not as fit as he needs to be. We know that, he knows that. He's 32 so he's not exactly ancient and I am confident he will rediscover his mojo more consistently.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 17:05 - Feb 6 with 1758 viewsdaveB

I think the title of this thread is a disgrace to be honest, he didn't play well yesterday but not fit to wear the shirt, absolute rubbish

incredible the insight people on here have on Austins contract, lifestyle, fitness etc. When Austin arrived many said he couldn't play many games due to his injury record, he's not missed a game through injury since he came back, for all the talk of a lack of fitness he finished the game yesterday despite claims he was unable to run.

Stats can always be used to paint whatever picture you want. He's started 13 league games this season with 4 goals, to compare to the other strikers Dykes has 17 starts for his 8 goals and Gray (who is constantly slaughtered on here) has 5 in 7 starts. He's likely to finish the season with double figures again which is what most would have expected.

If there was a major issue with Austins as some on here seem to suggest not a chance Warburton would be standing for it let alone singling his professionalism out for praise
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 17:09 - Feb 6 with 1729 viewsBazzeR

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 17:05 - Feb 6 by daveB

I think the title of this thread is a disgrace to be honest, he didn't play well yesterday but not fit to wear the shirt, absolute rubbish

incredible the insight people on here have on Austins contract, lifestyle, fitness etc. When Austin arrived many said he couldn't play many games due to his injury record, he's not missed a game through injury since he came back, for all the talk of a lack of fitness he finished the game yesterday despite claims he was unable to run.

Stats can always be used to paint whatever picture you want. He's started 13 league games this season with 4 goals, to compare to the other strikers Dykes has 17 starts for his 8 goals and Gray (who is constantly slaughtered on here) has 5 in 7 starts. He's likely to finish the season with double figures again which is what most would have expected.

If there was a major issue with Austins as some on here seem to suggest not a chance Warburton would be standing for it let alone singling his professionalism out for praise

Good post
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 17:22 - Feb 6 with 1689 viewsParkRoyalR

Title was a pun, didn't realise our fanbase were so sensitive - I think he's only fit for a 10 minute cameo - you think he's fit for the full 90 - let's agree to differ.

We've had he's over-weight but not as much as he was on this thread and he sat in the stand cos it was raining on a previous thread.

Someone change the thread title to Charlie Austin Fit as a Butchers Dog if they know how to, thanks!
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 17:25 - Feb 6 with 1671 viewsstrikerace

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 16:50 - Feb 6 by ParkRoyalR

The reason he gets such a spirited defense, as you stated more than Dykes or Gray, is that he has meant much more to QPR over the past decade than the others. Fact is he is arguably the most influential striker here in 20+ years, and played at a very high level for a time. If we get promoted he will have been the striker on the last two promotions. Yes maybe he gets cut some slack here, but its probably earned.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 17:51 - Feb 6 with 1585 viewsNorthernr

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 16:14 - Feb 6 by BrianMcCarthy

ParkRoyalR,

Just so you know you're not alone, I agree with you that his fitness is awful, that he's playing poorly and that his decision to sit in the Ellerslie was disrespectful and unprofessional. I think all of those are fair comments for supporters to make.

I'll add that his finishing stats are worse than either Dykes or Gray.

I know nothing about his behaviour off the pitch so I'm not commenting on that.

I agree with this.

I think he deserves respect for what he's done for the club over two spells. Some of the stuff on social media is disgusting.

I also think it's worth bearing in mind how much pressure the entire support base put on the club to sign him permanently, how much grief they'd have got if they didn't, how much stick certain podcasters got for merely suggesting Austin probably wasn't what he once was.

But, on the evidence of what we've seen, he's now at the impact sub stage of his career. West Brom home, pretty perfectly summed up where he is for us. Might stage a big comeback, hope he does, but that was very, very poor yesterday and his fitness, mobility etc isn't where it should be. He's not 38/39, but he looks and plays like it.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 17:58 - Feb 6 with 1563 viewsdaveB

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 17:22 - Feb 6 by ParkRoyalR

Title was a pun, didn't realise our fanbase were so sensitive - I think he's only fit for a 10 minute cameo - you think he's fit for the full 90 - let's agree to differ.

We've had he's over-weight but not as much as he was on this thread and he sat in the stand cos it was raining on a previous thread.

Someone change the thread title to Charlie Austin Fit as a Butchers Dog if they know how to, thanks!

not sensitive at all. I get what you are trying to say in that hes too fat to fit into his shirt but I think thats ridiculous and completely disrespectful.

I've not got a big opinion on his fitness to be honest, he's available for selection every week I think some weeks he should play 90 minutes others 10 minutes other an hour same as the other 2 strikers. He was poor yesterday but some of the comments about him on here are ridiculous imo
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 18:06 - Feb 6 with 1535 views1JD

Completing 90 minutes is beside the point - he can’t run. Anyone can see that. And sadly, he also gives the ball away for fun. I could complete 90 minutes but am I effective,no. It’s abundantly clear there is a problem with Austin. It’s been clear from the beginning of this season.

However, its appears to be a touchy subject due to his successful history at the club. We have fans praising his professionalism and experience at the club for our younger players - yet conveniently forgetting / ignoring his unprofessionalism - regular petulant behaviour kicking out at the opposition and risking a red, and sulking having been subbed and sat on his jacksie in the ellerslie when 2 impressionable youth team players are sat on the bench watching on.

Regardless; the real crux of the issue for me is the massive wage he is on relative to our other players. You want that, you need to deliver, and you need to deliver consistently as far as I am concerned. That’s what you get paid the big bucks for. Had he been on a much smaller wage to see his career out as an impact sub - I’d have no real issue.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 18:13 - Feb 6 with 1489 viewsParkRoyalR

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 17:51 - Feb 6 by Northernr

I agree with this.

I think he deserves respect for what he's done for the club over two spells. Some of the stuff on social media is disgusting.

I also think it's worth bearing in mind how much pressure the entire support base put on the club to sign him permanently, how much grief they'd have got if they didn't, how much stick certain podcasters got for merely suggesting Austin probably wasn't what he once was.

But, on the evidence of what we've seen, he's now at the impact sub stage of his career. West Brom home, pretty perfectly summed up where he is for us. Might stage a big comeback, hope he does, but that was very, very poor yesterday and his fitness, mobility etc isn't where it should be. He's not 38/39, but he looks and plays like it.

Clive, given offence taken by my fellow R's, could you change the title on my behalf as suggested by clareman or something similar, thanks!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024