Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Charlie Austin - Discuss... 17:21 - Feb 5 with 24948 viewsParkRoyalR

I know he gets a 6 every week, must be at least a 5 for getting into those shorts, today was blowing hard after 10, and to be that unfit at this stage in the season is a disgrace, with him we are playing with 10 men.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 20:56 - Feb 5 with 2731 viewsParkRoyalR

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 20:49 - Feb 5 by BlackCrowe

But you're making him the scapegoat and that's not fair.

He's not picking himself (and i'm def not having a go at MB) or do you think he is and he wants to have a bad game.

It was a cup match, a bonus chance, the main game is on Weds and Chaz will start and leave early or come on in 2nd. With a more than fair chance of being in the right place at the right time and doing what we need.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2022 20:50]

I'm not trying to make him a scapegoat for today's result - although thought his minimal contribution did not help.

I think his fitness and effort levels are completely unacceptable and he's living off past glories.

Do I still think he's dangerous in the box in the air in the last 15 - yes I do (on basis Willock + Adomah are providing crosses).

Do I think he is offering the team anything else in the his current level of fitness - no.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 21:00 - Feb 5 with 2709 viewsBlackCrowe

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 20:56 - Feb 5 by ParkRoyalR

I'm not trying to make him a scapegoat for today's result - although thought his minimal contribution did not help.

I think his fitness and effort levels are completely unacceptable and he's living off past glories.

Do I still think he's dangerous in the box in the air in the last 15 - yes I do (on basis Willock + Adomah are providing crosses).

Do I think he is offering the team anything else in the his current level of fitness - no.

Fair enough PRR, i don't agree with your "effort/living of past glories" view but doesn't mean i'm right..it's a POV. But he was not the reason we lost 2-0 today.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 21:18 - Feb 5 with 2628 viewsRuislipHoop

With due respect to all on here,he was bought in because we could not afford anybody better.There was a comment on another thread,if we as a team do not put the ball where Austin and Dykes want it,they won’t score.Last Saturday was the first time in a long while that from the off Adomah started crossing the ball into the box,hey ho Dykes scores 2.
Agree that Austin is not what he was and neither is Gray,but that is a reflection of where we are as a club.
I would rather have Austin,Gray and Dykes than some of the overpaid w**kers we have had in the past.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 21:59 - Feb 5 with 2470 viewsstrikerace

Is Austin what he was, no way. But I think the combo of Dykes/Austin/Gray is doing us very well. What, 20 goals between them? Its like having 1 main striker, but instead we have a rotation. Plus they all seem to bring something different.

I thought Austin was poor, and said so on the game thread, but so were a lot of players. He is still racking up some goals for us.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 22:46 - Feb 5 with 2353 viewsMancR

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 18:49 - Feb 5 by bosh67

I think no one will be more disappointed than Charlie today so I'm pretty dismayed by this thread to be honest. Been one of our best players and best strikers in this shirt. He will know he has to be better and fitter, and I am confident he still has it in the tank.

Amen to this. The need to c**t off our own players is a real fu cking pain. He's not Biswinga etc and it can't help his confidence going forward to hear/ see this. Apparently Dykes wasn't much better today but looked like a world beater last week. Let's just stick together
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 22:49 - Feb 5 with 2335 viewsLazyFan

Chaz is a great finisher and will score goals.

However he's not up to starting a game, sure he may do well in the odd start, but really he should be super-sub now. Coming on to grab the winner with 20 mins to go.

Fitness-wise he is not there, but maybe this is due to his body going. For some players, it goes early, regardless of lifestyle.

Willock and Chair will be back now so, we should be okay to have Chaz on the bench. Dykes will batter them all game for Chaz to come on and finish them off. But most games Chaz should not start.

zzzzzzzzzz

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 23:03 - Feb 5 with 2301 viewsnix

I'm not sure it works having Charlie as one of two up front with Dykes. Especially with Chair having not quite being match fit and ever so slightly off the pace.

We just need to create more decent chances and we haven't got enough creative threat without two players behind the striker, plus the wingbacks.

Also in the first half we needed a bit more energy and Charlie hasn't got for the legs for that any more. He can still do a job for us this season but it has to be in the right formation at the right part of the match. I do think it was a mistake to start him.

However, we shouldn't be saying someone isn't fit to wear the shirt who we know tries hard and wants us to win.

It's a difficult job for Warbs atm trying to get Chair, Sanderson and Hendrick match fit while also being competitive. It didn't quite work today but we'll hopefully have Field, Barbet and Willock back on Wednesday, which will provide more steel in midfield, solidity at the back and creativity up front.

And also I inwardly groaned when we got a Championship side away in the fourth round. It's always a poisoned chalice.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 23:15 - Feb 5 with 2256 viewsGloryHunter

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 20:44 - Feb 5 by ParkRoyalR

Lets disagree on this as we have a player nowhere near match fitness making minimal effort who exited the pitch and sat in the Ellerslie Stand for 15 minutes recently as he said later in The Princess Vic after his 3rd pint of Perroni it was because he had 'the hump' being substituted. Not a great example of cohesive spirit imo.

I've said for a long while now last 15 minute impact player at best but seeing him blowing so hard after10 minutes today and watching him for last 15 versus Reading I'm not sure he can do 15 minutes in his current condition.

Lifestyle, injury toll, age, whatever - starting with him is like playing with 10 men. Sad but true.

They don't serve "Perroni" [sic] in the Princess Vic. Or even Peroni. Just saying.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2022 23:36]
Login to get fewer ads

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 23:20 - Feb 5 with 2237 viewsParkRoyalR

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 23:03 - Feb 5 by nix

I'm not sure it works having Charlie as one of two up front with Dykes. Especially with Chair having not quite being match fit and ever so slightly off the pace.

We just need to create more decent chances and we haven't got enough creative threat without two players behind the striker, plus the wingbacks.

Also in the first half we needed a bit more energy and Charlie hasn't got for the legs for that any more. He can still do a job for us this season but it has to be in the right formation at the right part of the match. I do think it was a mistake to start him.

However, we shouldn't be saying someone isn't fit to wear the shirt who we know tries hard and wants us to win.

It's a difficult job for Warbs atm trying to get Chair, Sanderson and Hendrick match fit while also being competitive. It didn't quite work today but we'll hopefully have Field, Barbet and Willock back on Wednesday, which will provide more steel in midfield, solidity at the back and creativity up front.

And also I inwardly groaned when we got a Championship side away in the fourth round. It's always a poisoned chalice.

Thread title was a pun / tongue in cheek as I accept its unpopular but we have a player who can't play more than 10 minutes of football at championship pace.

To say he works hard is an insult to all the other players who put in a proper shift today wheras Austin didn't press, run the channels and at one point didn't even bother to challenge for a header.

Feel free to disagree but next time he plays watch how gassed out he is after 10 minutes, somethings not right.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 23:26 - Feb 5 with 2218 viewsLoftgirl

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 20:24 - Feb 5 by BlackCrowe

Abysmal and depressing thread. We seem to have acquired delusions of grandeur and entitlement. Noone had a particularly good game today. It's the cohesive spirit between management, players and fans that's playing such an important part for us punching as high as we are. STFU FFS.

Which side was Noone on?
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 23:44 - Feb 5 with 2149 viewsParkRoyalR

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 23:15 - Feb 5 by GloryHunter

They don't serve "Perroni" [sic] in the Princess Vic. Or even Peroni. Just saying.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2022 23:36]

Moretti, low calorie!
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 23:48 - Feb 5 with 2130 viewsGloryHunter

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 23:44 - Feb 5 by ParkRoyalR

Moretti, low calorie!

So it wasn't Charlie that you saw in there, then?
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 23:57 - Feb 5 with 2092 viewsozranger

Just got home - most who went will know why it took so long. I have not read this whole thread, but I think there is something else missing here. Where was Armstrong? He was on the bench for Rotherham. There was no forward option on the bench and I believe we only made four subs in two lots of two. If Armstrong had come on for the final 30 would that have altered things, I am unsure. However, if he was good enough to make the bench in the previous round and he is in the squad as he has not been loaned out then I would love to know why he was not included here. Is he injured?

Personally, I think Charlie is a good impact player but struggles to play a full 90. He can do some good things but owing to his slowness, he now gets caught out when crowded.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 00:01 - Feb 6 with 2091 viewsthorpebankR

A lot of negativity today especially in main stand where I was. You sound like the guy slagging off Austin from the first 5 min. Think his legs have gone and he knows it don’t know how long his contract is. Impact sub from now on that’s why he was left on. Cup game and won’t start Wednesday.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 00:04 - Feb 6 with 2079 viewsParkRoyalR

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 23:48 - Feb 5 by GloryHunter

So it wasn't Charlie that you saw in there, then?

100% Charlie Austin, unless it was someone else saying they had the hump so plotted up in The Ellerslie Stand.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 00:09 - Feb 6 with 2069 viewsParkRoyalR

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 00:01 - Feb 6 by thorpebankR

A lot of negativity today especially in main stand where I was. You sound like the guy slagging off Austin from the first 5 min. Think his legs have gone and he knows it don’t know how long his contract is. Impact sub from now on that’s why he was left on. Cup game and won’t start Wednesday.

If he knew his legs have gone, why did he sign a very lucrative 2 year contract?

Adomah and Grabban are 34, Billy Sharps 36 and Phil Jagielka 38+, the most obvious explanation is he played for a new contract, got it and kicked back, something we've seen too often in recent years.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 00:25 - Feb 6 with 2033 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 19:36 - Feb 5 by EalingHoop81

I expect they may void the win and give it to Boro if we play with 12 men 😀😀

Haha - for me it was around 5.30am and I was not happy

Drop Amos from that team of 12!
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 03:09 - Feb 6 with 1883 viewsstainrods_elbow

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 23:03 - Feb 5 by nix

Is this for real? If I started for QPR, I'd 'try hard' and 'want us to win'. Talk about scraping the barrel!

If anyone wants to defend that Austin performance, they only show how low we've all sunk. Warburton should have hooked him after 30 mins, but didn't have the balls/resources to do so.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 06:07 - Feb 6 with 1839 viewsnix

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 23:20 - Feb 5 by ParkRoyalR

Thread title was a pun / tongue in cheek as I accept its unpopular but we have a player who can't play more than 10 minutes of football at championship pace.

To say he works hard is an insult to all the other players who put in a proper shift today wheras Austin didn't press, run the channels and at one point didn't even bother to challenge for a header.

Feel free to disagree but next time he plays watch how gassed out he is after 10 minutes, somethings not right.

Absolutely not disagreeing that he holds us back in terms of contribution. It just looks to me like he can't any more rather than he won't. I don't like to scapegoat players because I don't think it helps the team overall, unless I think they really aren't trying rather than they're just not quite up to it.

He can still do a job for us, eg WBA In the last ten minutes, but I don't think he can start games any more, that I certainly agree with you about.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 06:51 - Feb 6 with 1798 viewsQPROslo

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 17:57 - Feb 5 by superhoopdownunder

Yes Field important too

Against Boro i would revert to
Dieng

Albert
Dickie
Dunne
Barbet
Wallace

Amos
Field
Johansen

Willock
Chair
Dykes
[Post edited 5 Feb 2022 17:58]

Be nice but 12 players not allowed Have to choose between Chair and Amos I think. Moses for Wallace possibly too. I'd choose the 1st named in each case, but it's close. Gray is another alternative to Chair.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 07:24 - Feb 6 with 1735 viewsQPROslo

Charlie went through a very hard time in his personal life recently. This could be partly behind why he's not as fit as he could be. Hope he can increase his fitness and score loads more for us, coming off the Bench maybe.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 09:20 - Feb 6 with 1509 viewsParkRoyalR

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 06:07 - Feb 6 by nix

Absolutely not disagreeing that he holds us back in terms of contribution. It just looks to me like he can't any more rather than he won't. I don't like to scapegoat players because I don't think it helps the team overall, unless I think they really aren't trying rather than they're just not quite up to it.

He can still do a job for us, eg WBA In the last ten minutes, but I don't think he can start games any more, that I certainly agree with you about.

I get your positivity but I think (and hope I'm wrong) this could soon affect team morale, as it did amongst the fans yesterday.

Johanssen laughed at Austin when he was telling him where to run against Reading rather than close the space himself. Dykes willingly did his running for the full 95 yesterday but for how long.

Warburton cannot have been impressed with his Ellerslie Road strop (although I'd put that down to exhaustion) but more importantly he's now at times possibly going against the managers instructions.

Yesterday, due to inability to run or find a yard started to drop deep as Kane occasionally does. Only difference is that Kane tries to find a pass to start and attack and then sprints into the box. Austin as we have seen will occasionally play a good pass and stand still.

Conjecture I know but sure MW wants him in the box and so many attacks in recent games and he's not there. Again conjecture but MW must have been fuming with that Ellerslie Road huff.

Anyway, hope he knocks the distractions on the head (Talksport etc) and looks at Adomah and knuckles down and gets fit as he needs to be fitter to even justify a last 15 cameo from what I saw versus Reading.
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 09:24 - Feb 6 with 1500 viewsGloryHunter

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 00:04 - Feb 6 by ParkRoyalR

100% Charlie Austin, unless it was someone else saying they had the hump so plotted up in The Ellerslie Stand.

And you counted him drinking three pints?
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 09:29 - Feb 6 with 1471 viewsParkRoyalR

Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 09:24 - Feb 6 by GloryHunter

And you counted him drinking three pints?

Yep, although I wasn't in the Swindon Nightclub ToIlets (check wiki page).
Austin not fit to wear the shirt (or shorts) on 10:46 - Feb 6 with 1295 viewsdaveB

Austin's turn this week. How many chances did we create again yesterday. He didn't have a good game but he's never going to score if you don't deliver decent balls into the box
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024