Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
VAR 12:18 - Apr 8 with 3661 viewsSnipper

Do we need VAR in the Championship?

I’ve been against having it in the Championship, but the bad decisions we keep having against us is turning me in favour.

The incompetence of the officiating in this league is scandalous.
VAR on 21:39 - Apr 9 with 1040 viewsdigswellhoop

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOO
VAR on 22:12 - Apr 9 with 1005 viewsalexferguson60

Yes.

The refs have generally been piss-poor in our division, and it's cost us valuable points. Yes, we can talk about the lucky West Brom win with the goal using the type of handball that would make European professionals of said sport proud, but there have been so, so many decisions that have been astonishingly shit. And not just for us - many fans of other clubs i know will tell you the same.

And their decisions are costing clubs invaluable points at both ends of the table.

It exists in the top 2 leagues in German and Italian football, so why can't we do it here?
VAR on 22:27 - Apr 9 with 983 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

VAR on 22:12 - Apr 9 by alexferguson60

Yes.

The refs have generally been piss-poor in our division, and it's cost us valuable points. Yes, we can talk about the lucky West Brom win with the goal using the type of handball that would make European professionals of said sport proud, but there have been so, so many decisions that have been astonishingly shit. And not just for us - many fans of other clubs i know will tell you the same.

And their decisions are costing clubs invaluable points at both ends of the table.

It exists in the top 2 leagues in German and Italian football, so why can't we do it here?

No. No, Nein.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

VAR on 16:31 - Apr 11 with 872 viewsPinnerPaul

VAR on 16:23 - Apr 8 by Antti_Heinola

Well, we're all referencing our lucky one v WBA, so not exactly true.

Hmmmmm ONE lucky break mentioned, how many injustices throughout the season?!

Its not just us or on here, its a football thing, can't do anything about it, but to deny it is just silly IMHO.

As an example when I mentioned the Albert Adomah time wasting recently when we had another discussion about 'game management' on here, I had people tell me that was OK because the other team had started it!
VAR on 16:33 - Apr 11 with 857 viewsPinnerPaul

VAR on 22:12 - Apr 9 by alexferguson60

Yes.

You're chasing the impossible dream, a game without mistakes.
VAR on 16:58 - Apr 11 with 819 viewsWatfordR

VAR on 16:31 - Apr 11 by PinnerPaul

Hmmmmm ONE lucky break mentioned, how many injustices throughout the season?!

Its not just us or on here, its a football thing, can't do anything about it, but to deny it is just silly IMHO.

As an example when I mentioned the Albert Adomah time wasting recently when we had another discussion about 'game management' on here, I had people tell me that was OK because the other team had started it!

Paul, I appreciate you're looking at this from a ref's perspective, and maybe playing devil's advocate a touch in your posts.

BUT there's no point discussing the relative merits of one instance of time wasting over another, when the problem is the incessant time wasting contantly occurring because it isn't being punished by the officials. Time wasting becomes non existant if it is consistently dealt with from minute one by the officials. The same for harrassing of officials.

You cannot blame players and managers if they indulge and encourage such behaviour if they know it won't be punished. Maybe you could in some footballing utopia, but not in the real world. It's a weakness they are aware of and will exploit.

You can say "football" won't tolerate it, but as I've said before, if the body representing match officials stands up publicly and says we're adopting a zero tolerance approach to these things, they take the argument and the excuses away from the players, managers and clubs, because by and large they'll have the support of not only the fans, but the wider public, who with only a passing interest in football, view it as a game populated by a bunch of playacting pussies.
VAR on 10:11 - Apr 12 with 723 viewsTheChef

No - because it's been proven you just get different types of mistakes anyway. And it takes all the joy out of celebrating a goal.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

VAR on 11:13 - Apr 12 with 705 viewsTHEBUSH

I watch some of the Spanish second division games and they use VAR.

I can"t see why we shouldnt use it in our Championship.

VAR is not perfect, but its better than some of the referring decisions, we have to put up with.
Login to get fewer ads

VAR on 11:30 - Apr 12 with 668 viewsngbqpr

I'm in what is seemingly a 'yes' minority.

Are there still mistakes? Yes. As many? No.

Impossible job for refs in this day & age when they see it once live, and within seconds the world can access 20 different angles.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

VAR on 13:25 - Apr 12 with 624 viewsCLAREMAN1995

VAR on 11:13 - Apr 12 by THEBUSH

I watch some of the Spanish second division games and they use VAR.

I can"t see why we shouldnt use it in our Championship.

VAR is not perfect, but its better than some of the referring decisions, we have to put up with.

I agree here its got a few issues but its far superior than being left with the bitter sting of defeat like Sunderland .
Without question we at QPR have been on the wrong end of way more horrible decisions this year than good ones .
I watched City V Liverpool and to say the ref had a few issues would be an understatement . I know VAR cannot be used for booking but this was crazy
Thiago Silva (dirty player ) should have been given 3 yellow cards , yes I know its strange but ended up only getting one .He was not booked for a hard take down, finally booked then slashed down KDB pretty violently but the ref penalized KDB instead . Bizarre decision but he basically got away scott free
VAR on 17:20 - Apr 13 with 524 viewsPinnerPaul

VAR on 16:58 - Apr 11 by WatfordR

Paul, I appreciate you're looking at this from a ref's perspective, and maybe playing devil's advocate a touch in your posts.

BUT there's no point discussing the relative merits of one instance of time wasting over another, when the problem is the incessant time wasting contantly occurring because it isn't being punished by the officials. Time wasting becomes non existant if it is consistently dealt with from minute one by the officials. The same for harrassing of officials.

You cannot blame players and managers if they indulge and encourage such behaviour if they know it won't be punished. Maybe you could in some footballing utopia, but not in the real world. It's a weakness they are aware of and will exploit.

You can say "football" won't tolerate it, but as I've said before, if the body representing match officials stands up publicly and says we're adopting a zero tolerance approach to these things, they take the argument and the excuses away from the players, managers and clubs, because by and large they'll have the support of not only the fans, but the wider public, who with only a passing interest in football, view it as a game populated by a bunch of playacting pussies.

But the PGMOL don't have that sort of power.

See the Sheff Utd thread - THAT's where the power lies.

No way do the clubs want timewasting punished from 'minute one' - an interesting concept at least!

Seriously, and getting back on topic, who do think has driven the changes in emphasis we have seen in VAR in recent seasons - its not the PGMOL.

In IFAB (who publish the laws) often explain changes with " football expects" now "football" doesn't mean the referees! The IFAB is made up of football associations, there isn't a referee in sight - well they have consultants, like David Elleray, but he doesn't have a vote!

I think the point I'm making is it isn't as easy as "Apply the laws" as others with refereeing experience, have said on this thread.

I repeat MW thought the ball juggling was "OK and part of the game", that makes it very difficult for the referees to unilaterally make a stand on 'timewasting' as an example.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024