Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread 10:24 - Apr 29 with 17792 viewsHullDale

Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 18:03 - Apr 30 with 4874 viewsmikehunt

Great game, great atmosphere but we threw a two goal lead away and I feel a bit deflated. I am so sick of of seeing away teams celebrating at our ground. Danny could have put us 4-2 up but we just couldn’t play possession. Just clearances straight back to them, bringing on the inevitable.
What really upset me is, as a result of their celebrations, I didn’t fancy hanging around for our team to do their lap of honour. Totally spoiled for me.
Ah well, bring on next season ( I know there’s a game left).
I am going to the kid’s final on Tuesday though, so my season is not quite over.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 18:04 - Apr 30 with 4868 viewsgolfaduffy

Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 17:58 - Apr 30 by D_Alien

I agree. Despite the result, it was a thoroughly entertaining watch and Dale fans who've been crying out to be entertained can have no complaints this afternoon

Both teams were prepared to play open attacking football, and fair play to Rovers for sticking at it right to the very end. If Stockdale can inject some backbone into the side in the way that Barton (for all his critics) seems to have done, we could be more of a force next season

Cashman had a chance to seal it at 3-2 but then again, Bristol missed an early chance when Eastwood flapped at his first cross. At half time i thought there'd be more goals and perhaps at 3-1 we erm... took our foot off the Gas thinking it was job done

O'Connell & Taylor both had good games, no-one had a poor one (although Eastwood was understandably nervous) but delighted with Charman adding the goals we know he has in him to his overall play and a deserved MoM

At times, O'Keefe's marauding left us pretty exposed, and still wouldn't be bothered to see him leave despite his best game (going forward) for a while. If we had a good right back it might be a different matter

And of course, their fans behaved like idiots but ours (mainly kids) throwing bottles on at end did us no favours either and could result in a fine

It wasnt just kids. I saw Mr Angry throwing a bottle towards their players at the end, before waddling off to argue with a steward in front of the dugouts.

agree that the bottle chuckers will probly land us with a hefty fine. Idiots.
Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 18:05 - Apr 30 with 4856 viewstodmordendale

Lots of positives. Maybe not.
In just a handful of seasons we have gone from challenging for play off places for promotion to the championship to a couple of places from non-league.
There were a lot of positives then.
Allen, Camps, Cannon, Mended Laing, Rathbone etc.
Fast free flowing football.
Emerging talent, Adshead, Mathewson and more. England internationals.
Get shut of any possible means of progress and sell everything in for a couple of quid.
Bad organisation, bad recruitment, and not much chance of improvements.
Sorry to say the good times have been thrown away.
Unless there is a massive change from somewhere, then I fear non league beckons next season.
Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 18:15 - Apr 30 with 4747 viewsTVOS1907

Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 16:11 - Apr 30 by Yorkshire_Dale

Pity we were unable to use his talent a bit earlier......we could be playing Accrington next season.

Eh?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 18:20 - Apr 30 with 4707 viewsdalian

Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 18:03 - Apr 30 by mikehunt

Great game, great atmosphere but we threw a two goal lead away and I feel a bit deflated. I am so sick of of seeing away teams celebrating at our ground. Danny could have put us 4-2 up but we just couldn’t play possession. Just clearances straight back to them, bringing on the inevitable.
What really upset me is, as a result of their celebrations, I didn’t fancy hanging around for our team to do their lap of honour. Totally spoiled for me.
I am going to the kid’s final on Tuesday though, so my season is not quite over.

The lap of honour was cancelled anyway on account of safety reasons with the pitch invasion.
What a belting game, really enjoyed it. Fair play to Bristol, never gave up and had a right go and great support too. Deserved their victory. Their wingers crucified us in the second half. Despite lots of positives I thought we got what we deserved in the end (although surely the winner was offside?), we were time wasting from the 53rd minute. Great entertainment all round.
Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 18:29 - Apr 30 with 4606 viewskel

Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 18:04 - Apr 30 by golfaduffy

It wasnt just kids. I saw Mr Angry throwing a bottle towards their players at the end, before waddling off to argue with a steward in front of the dugouts.

agree that the bottle chuckers will probly land us with a hefty fine. Idiots.

On the subject of idiot fans, who is that gobshite that stands at the end of the Sandy nearest the main stand and spends most of his time abusing the away subs while his mates all stand there giggling like bury fans at a Stewart Day forum?

Every game the subs just stand there and laugh at him and he’s too dim to realise that is really is at him and not with him.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2022 18:31]
Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 19:38 - Apr 30 with 4181 viewsShun

Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 18:03 - Apr 30 by mikehunt

Regarding your point about being sick of seeing away fans celebrating at our ground - before today only 2 sides had lost less home games than us this season.
Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 19:43 - Apr 30 with 4158 viewsJames1980

I blame the ref. Some of the fouls given between the two 18yd lines must have made players cautious about putting tackles in in the box

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Login to get fewer ads

Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 19:46 - Apr 30 with 4125 viewsD_Alien

Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 19:38 - Apr 30 by Shun

Regarding your point about being sick of seeing away fans celebrating at our ground - before today only 2 sides had lost less home games than us this season.

It may be a reference to our longer term experience at end-of-season games, with away fans celebrating their success at our expense (obviously not much under KH)

And let's not forget, at the end of the 2013/14 promotion season, we won 1-2 at their place to condemn them to a spell in the Conference

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 20:23 - Apr 30 with 3918 viewsmikehunt

Yes DA That was what I meant.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 20:49 - Apr 30 with 3764 views442Dale

Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 18:05 - Apr 30 by todmordendale

Lots of positives. Maybe not.
In just a handful of seasons we have gone from challenging for play off places for promotion to the championship to a couple of places from non-league.
There were a lot of positives then.
Allen, Camps, Cannon, Mended Laing, Rathbone etc.
Fast free flowing football.
Emerging talent, Adshead, Mathewson and more. England internationals.
Get shut of any possible means of progress and sell everything in for a couple of quid.
Bad organisation, bad recruitment, and not much chance of improvements.
Sorry to say the good times have been thrown away.
Unless there is a massive change from somewhere, then I fear non league beckons next season.

On the last point, even if we maintain the status quo we’ll have a season much like this one. We really do have to acknowledge the possibility that we may become a L2 side for a while again. There’s obviously an intention to aim higher, but we are where we are.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 20:53 - Apr 30 with 3722 views49thseason

I thought we were pretty good today considering there are now probably more injured players than fit ones. The Keeper was OK and the defence generally did OK but once They got back to 3-2 you could see that there was only going to be one team winning and it wasn't us.
If we can play the whole of next season like the first 45 minutes I think we will be knocking on the L1 door Brierley's arrival on the stage suggested he clearly has a future in the game, always moving always wanting the ball and in the main doing good things with it. If he kicks on again next season he won't be with us for long.
Charman looked like a proper striker today I thought, constantly running and the two goals will give him confidence for next season.

I dare say that if Downing had been available today we would have won, the margins are fine and the match turned when they brought that nippy inside forward on (Thomas).
He is exactly what Newby should be (down to the hairstyle), a complete nuisance, but sadly I don't think Newby has it in him. So one more match and then an interesting Summer, new faces needed and maybe some unexpected departures. Lots of new defenders you would think and at least a couple more forwards and maybe 2 more midfielders.
Ross Joyce, the Referee was his usual incompetent self, running way over time in the first half because Bristol were attacking and he didn't want to interrupt them, and then randomly showing the red card to their captain at the end for the sort of handbags that he should have got a grip on much earlier in the game.

All in all, I think the Manager and Board can be relatively satisfied with their work, we stayed up, played pretty well against some of the better teams and have had overcome a lot of injuries which must have made life much more difficult. let's all hope we get the new players we need in early enough for them to have a proper close season. and can start to look up the table next season instead of looking at who is behind us.
Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 09:22 - May 1 with 2840 viewsDaley_Lama

Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 20:53 - Apr 30 by 49thseason

I thought we were pretty good today considering there are now probably more injured players than fit ones. The Keeper was OK and the defence generally did OK but once They got back to 3-2 you could see that there was only going to be one team winning and it wasn't us.
If we can play the whole of next season like the first 45 minutes I think we will be knocking on the L1 door Brierley's arrival on the stage suggested he clearly has a future in the game, always moving always wanting the ball and in the main doing good things with it. If he kicks on again next season he won't be with us for long.
Charman looked like a proper striker today I thought, constantly running and the two goals will give him confidence for next season.

I dare say that if Downing had been available today we would have won, the margins are fine and the match turned when they brought that nippy inside forward on (Thomas).
He is exactly what Newby should be (down to the hairstyle), a complete nuisance, but sadly I don't think Newby has it in him. So one more match and then an interesting Summer, new faces needed and maybe some unexpected departures. Lots of new defenders you would think and at least a couple more forwards and maybe 2 more midfielders.
Ross Joyce, the Referee was his usual incompetent self, running way over time in the first half because Bristol were attacking and he didn't want to interrupt them, and then randomly showing the red card to their captain at the end for the sort of handbags that he should have got a grip on much earlier in the game.

All in all, I think the Manager and Board can be relatively satisfied with their work, we stayed up, played pretty well against some of the better teams and have had overcome a lot of injuries which must have made life much more difficult. let's all hope we get the new players we need in early enough for them to have a proper close season. and can start to look up the table next season instead of looking at who is behind us.

Winner was onside. EOC playing him on.

Well done Brizzle therefore, even if your manager is an oik.

Poll: DF in or out

Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 09:47 - May 1 with 2725 viewsNorthernDale

There were was some good points from yesterdays game, Charman scoring and the performance of Brierley. I thought that RS got the subs wrong and made us more disjointed against a very good Bristol team.

I agree with many posters, what ruined the match was the behaviour of the Bristol fans at the end and crucially the behaviour of Barton and his coaches, who goal celebrations showed a lack of class and respect to Rochdale. To the extent that, although I feel that Rovers are one of the best attacking teams I have seen all season and deserve to go up, I hope that they miss out on promotion due to the behaviour of Bristol Rovers at the end of the game.
Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 10:14 - May 1 with 2632 viewsDickydaler

Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 09:47 - May 1 by NorthernDale

There were was some good points from yesterdays game, Charman scoring and the performance of Brierley. I thought that RS got the subs wrong and made us more disjointed against a very good Bristol team.

I agree with many posters, what ruined the match was the behaviour of the Bristol fans at the end and crucially the behaviour of Barton and his coaches, who goal celebrations showed a lack of class and respect to Rochdale. To the extent that, although I feel that Rovers are one of the best attacking teams I have seen all season and deserve to go up, I hope that they miss out on promotion due to the behaviour of Bristol Rovers at the end of the game.

I think there's a good chance that we would have done the same if we'd have been in Rovers position, although not in the same numbers.
We didn't exactly cover ourselves in glory either at the end.
Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 10:32 - May 1 with 2552 viewsboromat

Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 09:22 - May 1 by Daley_Lama

Winner was onside. EOC playing him on.

Well done Brizzle therefore, even if your manager is an oik.

Looks like the first was offside. You win some you lose some.

Thought the keeper could have done better with he 3rd.

Overall with nothing on the match for us I enjoyed it. Entertaining football and we played well up until being 3 - 1 up. The 2 passes and then take and finish for that first goal was brilliant.

Awards event went well with kids getting to meet the players get autographs and pictures. You wouldn't get that at a lot of clubs. Hopefully it also raised plenty of money for the campaign.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 10:43 - May 1 with 2529 viewselectricblue

Definately a game of two halves.
It great to see chatman break his duck and it was a shame that he didnt get that hatrick as he deserved it....
Brierley finally got what supporters where asking for and he didnt dissappoint at all, like RS he did not want to put him into the side when things where not going Dales way, which i find understandable....

Eastwood got a baptism of fire by coming straight straight from the blades and he produced some decent saves.......

Problem is the defence in the second half they where a over the place and if Downing was fit it could havd bedn a different out come.

BIG defence problems next season and a leader with experience is badly needed..

Hopefully next week Scanlon, Thomas(if fit) get a game.......

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 11:15 - May 1 with 2429 viewstony_roch975

Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 10:32 - May 1 by boromat

Looks like the first was offside. You win some you lose some.

Thought the keeper could have done better with he 3rd.

Overall with nothing on the match for us I enjoyed it. Entertaining football and we played well up until being 3 - 1 up. The 2 passes and then take and finish for that first goal was brilliant.

Awards event went well with kids getting to meet the players get autographs and pictures. You wouldn't get that at a lot of clubs. Hopefully it also raised plenty of money for the campaign.

yes, all 3 of our goals were great passing moves and their first 2 involved lucky ricochets - equally both O'Keefe & Charman should have passed to Done/ Dooley for tap-ins but Rovers had 10 shots on target so you can't begrudge them the victory. Both sets of fans were to blame at the end but the celebrations by Barton & Rovers players were inflammatory. Great Awards Evening as you say.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 11:22 - May 1 with 2388 viewsjpresto

Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 09:47 - May 1 by NorthernDale

Thanks to the moronic pitch invaders we didnt get to say thank you and farewell to our team so for that reason i hope they do get promoted so we will not play them next season.
Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 11:30 - May 1 with 2350 viewsNorthernDale

I agree that some of the idiots throwing plastic bottles towards the end was embarrassing to say the least, but as others have mention, the over reaction of Barton and their coaches when they scored did not help, but that is no excuse for the small number of idiots we have.

We now must be focused on next season and getting in the players we need, because scoring three goals at home and still getting beat, needs to be addressed.
Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 11:53 - May 1 with 2274 viewsdingdangblue

Some bizarre comments from Barton on here. Didn't like Dale players time wasting and trying to get players sent off? He also thought they had more away fans than home fans?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 11:57 - May 1 with 2246 viewsTVOS1907

Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 11:53 - May 1 by dingdangblue

Some bizarre comments from Barton on here. Didn't like Dale players time wasting and trying to get players sent off? He also thought they had more away fans than home fans?

Not 100% sure on the number, but Bristol Rovers have had the most red cards in League Two this season, maybe even in the whole of the EFL and Premier League.

And yet, if you read their forum, we were overly physical on their young players yesterday.

Baffling.

Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 11:58 - May 1 with 2238 viewsTVOS1907

Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 11:15 - May 1 by tony_roch975

yes, all 3 of our goals were great passing moves and their first 2 involved lucky ricochets - equally both O'Keefe & Charman should have passed to Done/ Dooley for tap-ins but Rovers had 10 shots on target so you can't begrudge them the victory. Both sets of fans were to blame at the end but the celebrations by Barton & Rovers players were inflammatory. Great Awards Evening as you say.

I must have missed it somewhere, but did Bristol Rovers win promotion yesterday?

Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 11:58 - May 1 with 2237 views442Dale

Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 11:53 - May 1 by dingdangblue

Charman’s booking should be the reference point when we whinge about other club’s time wasting tactics.

Barton’s crowd counting was Firthy-esque.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 12:04 - May 1 with 2208 viewsTVOS1907

Bristol Rovers (h) Match Thread on 19:46 - Apr 30 by D_Alien

It may be a reference to our longer term experience at end-of-season games, with away fans celebrating their success at our expense (obviously not much under KH)

And let's not forget, at the end of the 2013/14 promotion season, we won 1-2 at their place to condemn them to a spell in the Conference

They weren't relegated until the final day of that season when they lost at home to Mansfield.

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024