Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Train strike first day of season. 13:13 - Jul 14 with 6681 viewsSnipper

That’ll hit away fans.

ASLEF drivers to strike at 8 rail companies.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2022 13:14]
Train strike first day of season. on 13:00 - Jul 15 with 1728 viewskensalriser

Surprised Pret workers aren't out too tbh.

"Pret a Manger handed a near-£4m share bonus and 27% salary rise to its chief executive in the same year it cut staff pay and took more than £50m in government support via furlough and business rates relief.

The coffee shop chain paid Pano Christou £4.2m in the year to the end of December 2021, including a £400,000 salary, according to accounts for its main holding company.

The chief executive’s basic salary figure alone was up 27% on the previous year at a time when Pret cut paid breaks for ordinary workers, meaning someone on an eight-hour shift, including a legally required half-hour break, would receive just over 6% less for each shift compared with pre-pandemic levels."

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Train strike first day of season. on 13:03 - Jul 15 with 1703 viewstoboboly

Train strike first day of season. on 12:47 - Jul 15 by SheffieldHoop

Given my current job is to automate tasks that people far more senior and educated than me don't really want to do.....I'll answer simply......Yes.

And by not employing Admin people to do these tasks anymore, we make the budget available to hire more Doctors and Nurses.

if no-one else has a job anymore how do we pay the dr's and nurses?

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Train strike first day of season. on 13:05 - Jul 15 with 1664 viewsSheffieldHoop

Train strike first day of season. on 13:03 - Jul 15 by toboboly

No one really pays the Doctors and Nurses now. The Government does. The government runs a deficit of almost 200 billion a year.....Who's paying for that?

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Train strike first day of season. on 13:11 - Jul 15 with 1643 viewsSheffieldHoop

Train strike first day of season. on 13:00 - Jul 15 by kensalriser

Surprised Pret workers aren't out too tbh.

"Pret a Manger handed a near-£4m share bonus and 27% salary rise to its chief executive in the same year it cut staff pay and took more than £50m in government support via furlough and business rates relief.

The coffee shop chain paid Pano Christou £4.2m in the year to the end of December 2021, including a £400,000 salary, according to accounts for its main holding company.

The chief executive’s basic salary figure alone was up 27% on the previous year at a time when Pret cut paid breaks for ordinary workers, meaning someone on an eight-hour shift, including a legally required half-hour break, would receive just over 6% less for each shift compared with pre-pandemic levels."

Pret is a business that would be harder to automate. Like fck am I gonna pay 2.95 for a Croissant from a vending machine. The nice-looking bird serving it to you is a part of the experience.

Train driving is easy to automate, would remove risk of human error (See: 2016 Croydon Tram crash), would save a lot of industrial hassle, would enable the trains to run at times that are currently prohibitively expensive......And might actually make the trains somewhat affordable for the masses

Train strike first day of season. on 13:35 - Jul 15 with 1601 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Train strike first day of season. on 13:11 - Jul 15 by SheffieldHoop

Pret is a business that would be harder to automate. Like fck am I gonna pay 2.95 for a Croissant from a vending machine. The nice-looking bird serving it to you is a part of the experience.

Train driving is easy to automate, would remove risk of human error (See: 2016 Croydon Tram crash), would save a lot of industrial hassle, would enable the trains to run at times that are currently prohibitively expensive......And might actually make the trains somewhat affordable for the masses

That’s all well and good saying automation will make it cheaper, but I’d happily wager that cost savings will not be passed on to the customer.

It hasn’t throughout history and hasn’t in such industries as garment, IT, or any other industry that’s gone offshore/overseas.

In which case, why would the purveyors of croissants act differently?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Train strike first day of season. on 13:49 - Jul 15 with 1534 viewsSheffieldHoop

Train strike first day of season. on 13:35 - Jul 15 by PlanetHonneywood

That’s all well and good saying automation will make it cheaper, but I’d happily wager that cost savings will not be passed on to the customer.

It hasn’t throughout history and hasn’t in such industries as garment, IT, or any other industry that’s gone offshore/overseas.

In which case, why would the purveyors of croissants act differently?

Let's not get sidetracked by Croissants - This is about the railways (But the simple answer is that Pret is selling you more than just the croissant, it's selling you the experience of dining at Pret.....Not for me, even when I could get 50% discount during lockdown, but some people like it)

Train strike first day of season. on 14:07 - Jul 15 with 1518 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Train strike first day of season. on 13:49 - Jul 15 by SheffieldHoop

Let's not get sidetracked by Croissants - This is about the railways (But the simple answer is that Pret is selling you more than just the croissant, it's selling you the experience of dining at Pret.....Not for me, even when I could get 50% discount during lockdown, but some people like it)

Of course, however in pointing to other sectors my proposition remains: cost savings have not, are not and will never filter down to the customer.

It’s a while since I’ve been into a Pret, but I don’t recall them offering a ‘dining’ experience as opposed to a take-away one.

My earlier point remains: how do economies plan for the massive downsizing of the actual need for humans to do jobs?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!

Train strike first day of season. on 14:16 - Jul 15 with 1470 viewsSheffieldHoop

Train strike first day of season. on 14:07 - Jul 15 by PlanetHonneywood

Of course, however in pointing to other sectors my proposition remains: cost savings have not, are not and will never filter down to the customer.

It’s a while since I’ve been into a Pret, but I don’t recall them offering a ‘dining’ experience as opposed to a take-away one.

My earlier point remains: how do economies plan for the massive downsizing of the actual need for humans to do jobs?

Man, this website is wild. I suggest we get on with automating the trains because we're obviously gonna be going through a winter of strikes.....And now I'm being pressed for my plan "to deal with the massive downsizing of the actual need for humans to do jobs"

Have a day off, seriously. Automating the trains is primarily about improving safety and reliability. If we also solve the industrial dispute while we're at it, good. That's it.

Login to get fewer ads

Train strike first day of season. on 14:35 - Jul 15 with 1451 viewsSnipper

Train strike first day of season. on 14:16 - Jul 15 by SheffieldHoop

Man, this website is wild. I suggest we get on with automating the trains because we're obviously gonna be going through a winter of strikes.....And now I'm being pressed for my plan "to deal with the massive downsizing of the actual need for humans to do jobs"

Have a day off, seriously. Automating the trains is primarily about improving safety and reliability. If we also solve the industrial dispute while we're at it, good. That's it.

If automation (driverless trains) was as easy as you’re making it sound, it would already be here.
When Johnson was Mayor of London, there was nobody more vociferous about automating the trains.

DLR is automated, yet still suffers from strike action. Go figure.

The trains on London Underground have the technology to be automated, but there is a reason it’ll never be automated, and that reason being that it’s primarily a Victorian railway.

Sure, you could possibly automate lines like the District, Metropolitan, Hammersmith & City, but the deep level tube lines like the Piccadilly, Central, Northern etc will never be left without a driver for the reason stated above.

Also, train services are not only about having a driver in a train. You need line controllers, signallers etc. without those people, you couldn’t run a train.
Train strike first day of season. on 14:36 - Jul 15 with 1447 viewsdenhamhoop2

If you think Automation in any industry is about safety and reliability rather than profit and the added bonus of no human beings to deal with who get sick and require holidays and time off then all I can do is shake my head at you
Train strike first day of season. on 14:39 - Jul 15 with 1440 viewsleananger

I am glad that I made a decision not to be on the away ticket scheme this season.
Train strike first day of season. on 14:41 - Jul 15 with 1409 viewsSheffieldHoop

Train strike first day of season. on 14:35 - Jul 15 by Snipper

If automation (driverless trains) was as easy as you’re making it sound, it would already be here.
When Johnson was Mayor of London, there was nobody more vociferous about automating the trains.

DLR is automated, yet still suffers from strike action. Go figure.

The trains on London Underground have the technology to be automated, but there is a reason it’ll never be automated, and that reason being that it’s primarily a Victorian railway.

Sure, you could possibly automate lines like the District, Metropolitan, Hammersmith & City, but the deep level tube lines like the Piccadilly, Central, Northern etc will never be left without a driver for the reason stated above.

Also, train services are not only about having a driver in a train. You need line controllers, signallers etc. without those people, you couldn’t run a train.

Yeah I don't doubt that it's not easy - never claimed it can be done overnight - But if we never try it, we'll never find out. Time to get on with it, offer an incentive for engineers to work it out. I'd bet they can, no matter how impossible it might seem right now.

Train strike first day of season. on 14:43 - Jul 15 with 1404 viewsSheffieldHoop

Train strike first day of season. on 14:36 - Jul 15 by denhamhoop2

If you think Automation in any industry is about safety and reliability rather than profit and the added bonus of no human beings to deal with who get sick and require holidays and time off then all I can do is shake my head at you

Ah well let's go back to the old times and have it all done with pen and paper by an army of bureaucrats, that sounds like real progress.

Train strike first day of season. on 14:57 - Jul 15 with 1397 viewsEsox_Lucius

Train strike first day of season. on 09:23 - Jul 15 by knocker

The country is on its knees and they want to add to the worry. Tossers to me and most of the millions affected by their actions. No doubt with a left wing agenda to do as much damage to the government.

The people you need to direct your invective at are the ones who have actually significantly contributed to bringing the country to it's knees, NOT the poor fückers who are struggling to survive because of their actions. If you are affected by the industrial action then you need to ask yourself why are people sacrificing a days pay to bring their plight to the public's attention. Don't fall for the dog whistling, the government are the biggest danger to people's livelihood not those visiting foods banks and taking 2nd jobs to try to pay their bills.

The grass is always greener.

Train strike first day of season. on 15:11 - Jul 15 with 1335 viewsSheffieldHoop

Train strike first day of season. on 14:57 - Jul 15 by Esox_Lucius

The people you need to direct your invective at are the ones who have actually significantly contributed to bringing the country to it's knees, NOT the poor fückers who are struggling to survive because of their actions. If you are affected by the industrial action then you need to ask yourself why are people sacrificing a days pay to bring their plight to the public's attention. Don't fall for the dog whistling, the government are the biggest danger to people's livelihood not those visiting foods banks and taking 2nd jobs to try to pay their bills.

Train divers on 70k, using food banks and taking part-time work between shifts, holding a "GOLF SALE" board on the corner of Argyll/Oxford Street. Whatever next.

Train strike first day of season. on 15:13 - Jul 15 with 1353 viewskensalriser

Train strike first day of season. on 13:03 - Jul 15 by toboboly

It'll be your personal responsibility to not get ill.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Train strike first day of season. on 15:16 - Jul 15 with 1347 viewsterryb

Train strike first day of season. on 15:13 - Jul 15 by kensalriser

I thought that was already the case as it is exceedingly difficult to get an appointment to see a doctor. At least it is at our doctor's surgery!
Train strike first day of season. on 15:24 - Jul 15 with 1314 viewsSheffieldHoop

Train strike first day of season. on 15:16 - Jul 15 by terryb

I thought that was already the case as it is exceedingly difficult to get an appointment to see a doctor. At least it is at our doctor's surgery!

Mrs tried to get one for our 6-week-old yesterday. We did get in eventually, but my god it took some battling.

Another crisis brewing from the days of Tony Blair, that one.

Train strike first day of season. on 19:09 - Jul 15 with 1137 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I recall highlighting the main challenge as I see it with increased automation; but not asking you for a solution.

To be fair, I wouldn’t waste my time. Because it seems to me from reading your inputs to this and other threads for that matter, that you lack the necessary depth of perspective to offer one.

Train strike first day of season. on 21:35 - Jul 15 with 1015 viewsBoston

Train strike first day of season. on 12:47 - Jul 15 by SheffieldHoop

Given my current job is to automate tasks that people far more senior and educated than me don't really want to do.....I'll answer simply......Yes.

And by not employing Admin people to do these tasks anymore, we make the budget available to hire more Doctors and Nurses.

We already have 'technology' performing parts of operations.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Train strike first day of season. on 22:03 - Jul 15 with 970 viewsngbqpr

#smallstategoals

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Train strike first day of season. on 22:50 - Jul 15 with 909 viewsNorthantsHoop

Train strike first day of season. on 22:03 - Jul 15 by ngbqpr

#smallstategoals

The rail industry which in effect is now back in public hands since the government having to subsidise throughout the Covid crisis and has now created Great British Railways to run track and trains. The rail unions are now able to direct their claims to the government and the rail companies who are effectively relying on state handouts as their fare revenue has plummeted with the working from home, technology advancement etc. have no teeth at all.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2022 22:52]
Train strike first day of season. on 22:54 - Jul 15 with 894 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Who's responsible for keeping us well?

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Train strike first day of season. on 00:06 - Jul 16 with 833 viewsSheffieldHoop

Train strike first day of season. on 19:09 - Jul 15 by PlanetHonneywood

I recall highlighting the main challenge as I see it with increased automation; but not asking you for a solution.

To be fair, I wouldn’t waste my time. Because it seems to me from reading your inputs to this and other threads for that matter, that you lack the necessary depth of perspective to offer one.

Maybe we can all just write books and flog them on amazon or something
[Post edited 16 Jul 2022 0:06]

Train strike first day of season. on 07:20 - Jul 16 with 747 viewsdistortR

well, what the railway workers have is leverage.

I'm a gardener. If I go on strike, there will be more wildflowers and insect numbers will rebound.

I have the leverage of a matchstick.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024