Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Season Preview 22/23 — Strugglers 08:58 - Jul 27 with 5852 viewsNorthernr

Thank God that's done...

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/58060
Season Preview 22/23 — Strugglers on 09:01 - Jul 27 with 3807 viewsKensal_Ranger

So, you reckon we'll be 15th then?
Ouch!
Season Preview 22/23 — Strugglers on 09:03 - Jul 27 with 3782 viewsNorthernr

Season Preview 22/23 — Strugglers on 09:01 - Jul 27 by Kensal_Ranger

So, you reckon we'll be 15th then?
Ouch!

14th, sorry, just above PNE.

Goals. Simple as that. We started a season with Dykes and Bonne as our main strikers before, and we needed Austin to come in in January to bail us out of a relegation scrap. With Amos injured the central midfielders we've used all pre-season scored one goal between them last year, Field and Dozzell got nought. There remains a lack of pace in the team.

Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think we carry enough threat.
Season Preview 22/23 — Strugglers on 09:07 - Jul 27 with 3755 viewsKensal_Ranger

Season Preview 22/23 — Strugglers on 09:03 - Jul 27 by Northernr

Goals. Simple as that. We started a season with Dykes and Bonne as our main strikers before, and we needed Austin to come in in January to bail us out of a relegation scrap. With Amos injured the central midfielders we've used all pre-season scored one goal between them last year, Field and Dozzell got nought. There remains a lack of pace in the team.

This logic is too compelling to refute, so I'll just keep my fingers crossed, as usual.
Season Preview 22/23 — Strugglers on 09:30 - Jul 27 with 3674 viewsE17hoop

Watching Reading and Birmingham implode will be the schadenfreude highlight of this season.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Season Preview 22/23 — Strugglers on 09:35 - Jul 27 with 3655 viewsNorthernr

For avoidance of doubt I've ended up going...

1 - Boro
2 - Norwich
3 - Sheff U
4 - Watford
5 - Luton
6 - West Brom (I actually don't believe this, I chickened out when I saw how high lots of others had them)
7 - Burnley
8 - Millwall
9 - Coventry
10 - Swansea (again, I'm not sure I believe this myself)
11 - Stoke
12 - Hull (no clue really)
13 - Bristol City
14 - QPR
15 - Preston
16 - Sunderland
17 - Blackbyrn
18 - Hudds
19 - Cardiff
20 - Blackpool
21 - Wigan
22 - Reading
23 - Rotherham
24 - Birmingham
Season Preview 22/23 — Strugglers on 10:04 - Jul 27 with 3553 viewsdublinr

I really hope you're right about 14th. I've got a bad feeling about this season.

I know people are generally enthusiastic about Beale, but I just don't get it. To me, he looks and sounds like a complete plonker. Hope I'm wrong, of course.

Season Preview 22/23 — Strugglers on 10:18 - Jul 27 with 3494 viewsstantheman10

So Roberts and Richards won't be playing then?
Both of whom are supposed to have bags of pace.
Season Preview 22/23 — Strugglers on 10:37 - Jul 27 with 3410 viewsNushnool

Season Preview 22/23 — Strugglers on 10:04 - Jul 27 by dublinr

I really hope you're right about 14th. I've got a bad feeling about this season.

I know people are generally enthusiastic about Beale, but I just don't get it. To me, he looks and sounds like a complete plonker. Hope I'm wrong, of course.

I don't think we will be struggling with relegation.

I share the concerns about lack of goals and pace, but this is tempered by the fact we've kept (/currently keeping) our best players, especially Willock.

Re Beale, I am generally enthusiastic about him: think he talks a good game. The test is whether that will actually translate into the players' performances.
Login to get fewer ads

Season Preview 22/23 — Strugglers on 10:50 - Jul 27 with 3332 viewsBrianMcCarthy

On the goals front we've lost:

Austin 5 goals in 34 league appearances.
Gray 10 goals in 38 league appearances

Many of those were sub appearances, but we're only looking to replace 15 goals over 72 total appearances, spread across two players, and we are shopping. I wonder if Andre Gray has a younger brother with a knee brace who loves Vegas?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Season Preview 22/23 — Strugglers on 11:22 - Jul 27 with 3222 viewsNorthernr

Now with added Wigan input, late arrivals in the post this morning...
Season Preview 22/23 — Strugglers on 12:40 - Jul 27 with 2999 viewsWestbourneR

Shades of David Brent.

I'm sure he's a good technical and tactical coach but the huge unknown question is is he an inspiring and effective leader.

For me that's more 50% of the job so it's a major gamble that could of either way.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Season Preview 22/23 — Strugglers on 12:57 - Jul 27 with 2936 viewsSnipper

Another great, but scary read if truth be told.

It seems that the strugglers section are all waiting on who they can pick up once the Premier League teams have named their squads. Ourselves included.

I didn’t know that Rotherham had lost some of their better players. Especially deciding to stay in League One. I really hope it works out for Rotherham, and they stay up.

As for QPR, I’m sure Michael Beale has a few players in mind for loans. A striker and right back being top of the list.

Let’s strap ourselves in for another 46 match slogathon.
Season Preview 22/23 — Strugglers on 13:42 - Jul 27 with 2831 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Thanks Clive as ever. I get the feeling you enjoyed writing about this bunch of disfunctional waifs and strays the most. Is it just me or does George Moncur to Leyton Orient seem like a good signing at that level?
[Post edited 27 Jul 2022 13:42]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Season Preview 22/23 — Strugglers on 13:43 - Jul 27 with 2820 viewsNorthernr

Season Preview 22/23 — Strugglers on 13:42 - Jul 27 by CliveWilsonSaid

Thanks Clive as ever. I get the feeling you enjoyed writing about this bunch of disfunctional waifs and strays the most. Is it just me or does George Moncur to Leyton Orient seem like a good signing at that level?
[Post edited 27 Jul 2022 13:42]

Of course, always the most fun.
Season Preview 22/23 — Strugglers on 13:45 - Jul 27 with 2806 viewsE17hoop

Season Preview 22/23 — Strugglers on 13:43 - Jul 27 by Northernr

Of course, always the most fun.

Congratulations on the Reading preview:
"But let’s be real here, he was absolutely f*cking abysmal for us. He actually made me quite angry watching him"

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Season Preview 22/23 — Strugglers on 13:46 - Jul 27 with 2791 viewsDWQPR

Season Preview 22/23 — Strugglers on 12:40 - Jul 27 by WestbourneR

Shades of David Brent.

I'm sure he's a good technical and tactical coach but the huge unknown question is is he an inspiring and effective leader.

For me that's more 50% of the job so it's a major gamble that could of either way.

I’m another one with concerns. The removal of MW was understandable just on the basis of the results of the last three months, whereby I suspect most clubs would have binned him. He was certainly feast or famine and the way the team played in the last couple of months makes me wonder if he did lose the dressing room.

With MB, it’s obvious that he has built a reputation as a very knowledgeable and forward thinking coach but it is the man management that worries me at this time. I’ve got no evidence to base this on just a gut feeling and I know this sounds churlish but for a 41 year old in a sports industry managing extremely fit players, he looks a slob. I’m 56 and I would be more than confident that I could run him into the ground and then some. It’s not as if the correct dieticians aren’t there or the fitness equipment either. As a person I feel he needs to carry himself better and realise that he is now top dog.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Season Preview 22/23 — Strugglers on 14:27 - Jul 27 with 2609 viewsderbyhoop

The elephant in the room.
But it's not just us. Plenty hoping to pick up PL loans.

Perhaps Andy Belk, Les and MB can come up with a game changer. Or maybe Armstrong comes on in leaps and bounds. Or everybody chips in. Not just Chair, Willock and Amos.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Season Preview 22/23 — Strugglers on 14:28 - Jul 27 with 2607 viewsMyke

That's fair enough, but you haven't factored in Leeds or Brighton, both whom (allegedly) carry both pace and goal-threat. It may be the case that we have 6 players scoring between 8-12 goals apiece which should keep us out of trouble. I have us between 8th and 14th depending on the goal ratio. (Think Preston will finish above us - wish we had brought in Parrott, although I can see why we didn't.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2022 14:56]
Season Preview 22/23 — Strugglers on 14:33 - Jul 27 with 2578 viewsMyke

Think Cardiff will finish a lot higher and Luton a lot lower than you predict. Luton very rudimentary, most teams will cop on to them this season
[Post edited 27 Jul 2022 14:57]
Season Preview 22/23 — Strugglers on 14:34 - Jul 27 with 2576 viewsNorthernr

Season Preview 22/23 — Strugglers on 14:28 - Jul 27 by Myke

That's fair enough, but you haven't factored in Leeds or Brighton, both whom (allegedly) carry both pace and goal-threat. It may be the case that we have 6 players scoring between 8-12 goals apiece which should keep us out of trouble. I have us between 8th and 14th depending on the goal ratio. (Think Preston will finish above us - wish we had brought in Parrott, although I can see why we didn't.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2022 14:56]

Yes, hopefully they'll speed the team up a bit, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to expect a significant goal threat - Roberts has scored 20 times in 161 games, Richards has 11 career goals in League One.

I've got everything crossed, maybe I'm just still hungover from how last season ended, and hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Season Preview 22/23 — Strugglers on 14:34 - Jul 27 with 2569 viewsBrianMcCarthy

It would be very risky to sign Parrott. Even if his friendship with members of the Kinihan family and gang is just admirable loyalty to childhood friends it does feel like we'd be running the risk of some very undesirable associates showing up on matchdays.

We've aready had a gun incident at the club, and are known for our work on fighting knife crime through the KPF.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Season Preview 22/23 — Strugglers on 14:36 - Jul 27 with 2552 viewsNorthernr

Season Preview 22/23 — Strugglers on 14:33 - Jul 27 by Myke

Think Cardiff will finish a lot higher and Luton a lot lower than you predict. Luton very rudimentary, most teams will cop on to them this season
[Post edited 27 Jul 2022 14:57]

Well I've got a bit sick of backing Cardiff for the play-offs and having them finish 19th on me so I've gone the other way this time.

Luton, allow me to copy and paste a line from the comment's section in last season's preview when I had them ninth and a play-off dark-horse...

"Luton’s League One, Two and Scotland signings should be ringing the alarm bells, no way will they finish top half."
Season Preview 22/23 — Strugglers on 14:55 - Jul 27 with 2494 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I’ll be honest. Talking about MB’s weight/fitness as a criticism does sound like people looking for reasons to criticise. I mean lots of successful managers/coaches aren’t athletes, Rafa Benitez, Carlo Ancelotti. I don’t think it matters. Mark Warburton spent much of one season on crutches.

We’ve got an actual football season starting soon so we’ll have plenty of things to criticise then I’m sure.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Season Preview 22/23 — Strugglers on 14:55 - Jul 27 with 2493 viewsMyke

It's a valid point Brian. Childhood loyalty is all well and good, but you would have thought Parrott would have distanced himself from them by now. I feel he will do well in this division, he seems very focused to succeed at Spurs. Not saying he will, but it is driving him on at the moment, which Preston will benefit from.
Season Preview 22/23 — Strugglers on 16:04 - Jul 27 with 2317 viewsLblock

Guess where you think I feel we'll finish?

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024