Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
GCSE....... 07:38 - Aug 26 with 2781 viewsMalintabuk

Totally off QPR things but I thought I would ask on this learned forum
Those of you with children of this age.... or as it seems on here the majority with grand children, what is the going rate for showing how proud you are of them achieving results, and what would warrant a well done.
Back in the day when you passed an exam it was more a case of not getting a clip around the lug hole rather than monetary gain
Only grand daughter got 8 yesterday... some very good ... some good.... so it was a blanket £20 for each....
Has Gran exceeded the going rate? Are we in fact tight and should we have sent her away to Magaluf for a week?
I pass this over to my learned friend on the right......

GCSE....... on 07:55 - Aug 26 with 2724 viewsBlackCrowe

Can't remember the exact details I set a benchmark for a minimum to achieve before rewards kicked in. Eg. If he achieved 6 passes then he would get a £100 and then £x for every grade 7, £y for grade 8 and £z for grade 9. Unfortunately it didn't end up costing me too much.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

GCSE....... on 08:03 - Aug 26 with 2702 viewsLandshark

That's a good idea, I am going to do that when my children are old enough. A bit of money incentive.

Slightly off topic, I saw something a while back which I am going to do with my children when they become of reading age...pay them for every book they read. Like 20-50p per book they read or something like that which will encourage them to read more.
GCSE....... on 08:06 - Aug 26 with 2695 viewsLoftgirl

I got a shrug of the shoulders.
GCSE....... on 08:11 - Aug 26 with 2679 viewsPhildo

Tickets to Reading has become a big one to mark the GCSEs
GCSE....... on 08:24 - Aug 26 with 2644 viewsDorse

GCSE....... on 08:11 - Aug 26 by Phildo

Tickets to Reading has become a big one to mark the GCSEs

Right, that's it. I'm calling Childline.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

GCSE....... on 10:00 - Aug 26 with 2531 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Surely the prospect of going to university to get a degree, and then go on to do a masters, before ending up doing an ad sales job because the demand for graduates in their chosen field was never there and, to have six-figure debt to contend with, is incentive enough.

Honestly, kids today...with the big changes comong in tbe world of work, I genuinely do not envy them one bit.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

GCSE....... on 10:14 - Aug 26 with 2516 viewsrobith

My Dad promised me £100 for an A*, £50 for an A and £20 for a B.

I came home with 1 A*, 5 As, 4 Bs thinking I'd hit the jackpot. He gave me £20 and said he remembered no such promise. Couldn't even buy a Playstation game with it ffs
GCSE....... on 10:17 - Aug 26 with 2506 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

My parents promised me loads of dosh for A/A*s but lucky for them I am a thick bastard.
Login to get fewer ads

GCSE....... on 10:29 - Aug 26 with 2477 viewsMrSheen

GCSE....... on 10:17 - Aug 26 by BazzaInTheLoft

My parents promised me loads of dosh for A/A*s but lucky for them I am a thick bastard.

My Dad promised me I could stay in school and wouldn't have to leave to work for him.

I knew he was joking, we both understood how useless I was at anything requiring more skill than wheeling a barrow or holding a ladder.
GCSE....... on 10:56 - Aug 26 with 2407 viewsEastR

I didn’t know this was a thing, thank god. There were some good results in the household this week and with 3 home games before the next pay day that would have put a severe dent in the beer fund.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

GCSE....... on 11:09 - Aug 26 with 2384 viewsLowerloftLad

I retook my English gcse again this year at the age of 32 as i failed them all at school. I took my daughter to portsmouth yesterday and we played on the arcades as congratulate myself on passing.

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

GCSE....... on 12:23 - Aug 26 with 2298 viewsderbyhoop

There was a report of a 92 year old who got top grade in GCSE Maths.

It's not known if his parents fave him any reward.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

GCSE....... on 12:30 - Aug 26 with 2287 viewsThe_Beast1976

I got a 'well done, but you could've done better if you'd tried a bit harder'. That's the way it was back then I guess
GCSE....... on 13:14 - Aug 26 with 2245 viewsdanehoop

GCSE....... on 10:14 - Aug 26 by robith

My Dad promised me £100 for an A*, £50 for an A and £20 for a B.

I came home with 1 A*, 5 As, 4 Bs thinking I'd hit the jackpot. He gave me £20 and said he remembered no such promise. Couldn't even buy a Playstation game with it ffs

Valuable life lesson right there - get a signed contract in writing before commencing work on any job.

Never knowingly understood

GCSE....... on 15:17 - Aug 26 with 2173 viewsBrianMcCarthy

GCSE....... on 11:09 - Aug 26 by LowerloftLad

I retook my English gcse again this year at the age of 32 as i failed them all at school. I took my daughter to portsmouth yesterday and we played on the arcades as congratulate myself on passing.

Congrats kid!!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

GCSE....... on 15:51 - Aug 26 with 2136 viewsA40Bosh

GCSE....... on 08:03 - Aug 26 by Landshark

That's a good idea, I am going to do that when my children are old enough. A bit of money incentive.

Slightly off topic, I saw something a while back which I am going to do with my children when they become of reading age...pay them for every book they read. Like 20-50p per book they read or something like that which will encourage them to read more.

'Slightly off topic, I saw something a while back which I am going to do with my children when they become of reading age...pay them for every book they read. Like 20-50p per book they read or something like that which will encourage them to read more'.

For us it was set the example early enough and they mimic it and there is no need for bribery. Probably easier for us as the Mrs and I were avid readers anyway and the girls arrived at a time when iPads and laptops were not in every bedroom (which could afford it). Might also have been easier as we had 3 girls

Every night we read them stories and it was a ritual they all still remember and talk fondly of especially the "Mr Gum" books which I enjoyed reading as much as they did when they first came out.

When ours started secondary it was a case of, we don't care what you get in exams as long as you know you have done your best but be aware that the better results you get the more choices you have as an adult when you are deciding what to do with yourself post education.

Ironically the eldest ended up with severe mental health problems and did not go to school for two years and had to be taught the basics from home - the youngest has severe chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia and had to do a minimum of GCSEs she could manage from her bed - so whether I paid them £10 an A or not was the least of their problems.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

GCSE....... on 16:26 - Aug 26 with 2089 viewsMalintabuk

GCSE....... on 15:51 - Aug 26 by A40Bosh

'Slightly off topic, I saw something a while back which I am going to do with my children when they become of reading age...pay them for every book they read. Like 20-50p per book they read or something like that which will encourage them to read more'.

For us it was set the example early enough and they mimic it and there is no need for bribery. Probably easier for us as the Mrs and I were avid readers anyway and the girls arrived at a time when iPads and laptops were not in every bedroom (which could afford it). Might also have been easier as we had 3 girls

Every night we read them stories and it was a ritual they all still remember and talk fondly of especially the "Mr Gum" books which I enjoyed reading as much as they did when they first came out.

When ours started secondary it was a case of, we don't care what you get in exams as long as you know you have done your best but be aware that the better results you get the more choices you have as an adult when you are deciding what to do with yourself post education.

Ironically the eldest ended up with severe mental health problems and did not go to school for two years and had to be taught the basics from home - the youngest has severe chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia and had to do a minimum of GCSEs she could manage from her bed - so whether I paid them £10 an A or not was the least of their problems.

So sad to read that. We had 3 daughters and reading your post makes me feel humble
We did the same read to the girls every night.... its wonder my wife and I ever met each other as whoever read to them wound up spending most of the evening fast asleep with the girls
GCSE....... on 20:19 - Aug 26 with 2029 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

A nice story for once:

https://metro.co.uk/2022/08/25/gcse-results-uks-oldest-student-passes-maths-exam
[Post edited 26 Aug 2022 20:38]
GCSE....... on 20:49 - Aug 26 with 2006 viewsaston_hoop

I did my GCSEs in 2003 and remember more about the playoff final and Gavin Peacock's testimonial than I do about anything I studied. Turned out ok I think even if my answer to most of life's problems is that I probably should have squared it to Furlong

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

GCSE....... on 23:05 - Aug 26 with 1951 viewsCiderwithRsie

My kids did theirs 3-5 years ago and got nothing out of me. Hope that helps.
GCSE....... on 23:39 - Aug 26 with 1933 viewsstainrods_elbow

GCSE....... on 08:03 - Aug 26 by Landshark

O god - it is just me , or does the idea of children 'reading for money' bring you out in hives? Unglue the kid(s) from their phones (if you can), try reading some books yourself to tshare with them and throw down a marker, and encourage them to pursue their own curiosities (if kids even are curious, now).

Here's a daring thought: Reading should be driven by pleasure and passion, not pecuniary gain. Otherwise maybe admit you've got a child who has other things between their ears.

I think I can feel a George Carlin moment coming on:

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024