Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England’s World Cup strikers. 17:03 - Sep 6 with 4438 viewsSnipper

On Talksport earlier, Jim White, Simon Jordan & Trevor Sinclair were talking about who’d be England’s strikers for the forthcoming World Cup.

Harry Kane was obviously No1, but they were primarily discussing who’d be No2.
Jim White said that if Ivan Toney continues the way he’s going, then he’s well placed to go to the World Cup.

Trevor Sinclair was bigging Marcus Rashford up saying that he’d got his mojo back. He said he’d choose both, but he obviously preferred Rashford.

Simon Jordan said that Rashford cheated Manchester United for the last quarter of last season. Basically saying that he’s got an attitude problem. So Simon Jordan said he wouldn’t pick him.

It was an interesting discussion. Personally, if Ivan Toney continues playing well, he can’t be ignored.
England’s World Cup strikers. on 17:33 - Sep 6 with 3704 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Raheem Streling and Ollie Watkins I guess are the other options. Sterling will be there if fit and Rashford has the most experience of the others. I’d be surprised if Toney was selected unless he really tears it up between now and then.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

England’s World Cup strikers. on 17:37 - Sep 6 with 3694 viewsWatford_Ranger

Tammy Abraham.
England’s World Cup strikers. on 18:10 - Sep 6 with 3608 viewsHAYESBOY

Wilson, if he could stay fit.

Smells like a trout farm in here

England’s World Cup strikers. on 18:20 - Sep 6 with 3573 viewsdaveB

A lot will depend on how the back ups do in the Nations League games this month.
You can take 26 players so think that means Kane, Sterling, Abaraham and one other will go imo. Toney has a great chance if he keeps going, Rashford a shoe in if he continues his current form
[Post edited 6 Sep 2022 18:21]
England’s World Cup strikers. on 18:38 - Sep 6 with 3508 viewsHamptonR

I would take Toney, based on current form and for his penalty taking.

He may not get a lot of game time but when it gets to penalties, and it will, he could be the man for the job.
England’s World Cup strikers. on 21:25 - Sep 6 with 3310 viewsMedwayR

Abraham is likely first choice back up at the moment, although I generally prefer Rashford.

Poll: Who’s better?

England’s World Cup strikers. on 21:53 - Sep 6 with 3248 viewseghamranger

Hope kane stays injury free…those others don’t fill me with confidence
England’s World Cup strikers. on 21:56 - Sep 6 with 3229 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

England’s World Cup strikers. on 21:53 - Sep 6 by eghamranger

Hope kane stays injury free…those others don’t fill me with confidence

I wouldn't be sure about some of them playing for QPR.

Login to get fewer ads

England’s World Cup strikers. on 22:02 - Sep 6 with 3207 viewsderbyhoop

Nobody suggesting Calvert-Lewin?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

England’s World Cup strikers. on 22:07 - Sep 6 with 3187 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Hardly anyone plays with two strikers anymore do they?

You’d think that means the market would be flooded but what it really means is that single mode strikers are stifled and no use to any man or beast that likes one up top.
England’s World Cup strikers. on 22:33 - Sep 6 with 3133 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I guess Danny Welbeck must be in with a shout too. If he stays fit.

England’s World Cup strikers. on 23:30 - Sep 6 with 3060 viewsLazyFan

Wilson is good but gets injured too much.

Toney should go, he's always been a real handful and he's a direct replacement for Kane if he gets injured or needs a rest in a group game. Also, useful sub to bring on if we have to lob it in to get goal. Useful at pens as well.

Kane, Sterling with Toney and Rashford as the backups.

We have plenty of weapons in midfield, with the likes of Bellingham, Foden, Grealish, Saka, Bowen, Sancho, and Ward-Prowse.

Just don't play Mount, he's the next Deli Ali and a waste of space. like playing with 10 men with him.

zzzzzzzzzz

England’s World Cup strikers. on 23:38 - Sep 6 with 3038 viewsSydneyRs

The irony being the best striker in the premiership is English born but can't play for us!
England’s World Cup strikers. on 23:39 - Sep 6 with 3037 viewsSydneyRs

England’s World Cup strikers. on 18:38 - Sep 6 by HamptonR

I would take Toney, based on current form and for his penalty taking.

He may not get a lot of game time but when it gets to penalties, and it will, he could be the man for the job.

Why did you have to say that? We know how this ends!
England’s World Cup strikers. on 09:34 - Sep 7 with 2746 viewstraininvain

It’s a shame that Haaland didn’t opt to play for England as I hear he was born in Leeds!
England’s World Cup strikers. on 13:35 - Sep 7 with 2542 viewsSpanishranger

England’s World Cup strikers. on 22:07 - Sep 6 by BazzaInTheLoft

Hardly anyone plays with two strikers anymore do they?

You’d think that means the market would be flooded but what it really means is that single mode strikers are stifled and no use to any man or beast that likes one up top.

Tbf we don’t even play with 1 striker
England’s World Cup strikers. on 13:41 - Sep 7 with 2533 viewsCLAREMAN1995

England’s World Cup strikers. on 09:34 - Sep 7 by traininvain

It’s a shame that Haaland didn’t opt to play for England as I hear he was born in Leeds!

I had this exact discussion with a City supporter in the coalmines ( construction site ) yesterday and he claimed nobody in the English squad could supply the balls KDB and Silva etc supply him.
I reminded him Foden plays for England and plays as many passes to Haaland as the others to bury in the net.
He mentioned Pep V Southgate and I had to give in and conceed the arguement .
But if England had Kane and Haaland you could map out the celebration parade route .
But of course GS will have to keep Harry McGuire far away first
England’s World Cup strikers. on 15:30 - Sep 7 with 2453 viewstoboboly

England’s World Cup strikers. on 13:41 - Sep 7 by CLAREMAN1995

I had this exact discussion with a City supporter in the coalmines ( construction site ) yesterday and he claimed nobody in the English squad could supply the balls KDB and Silva etc supply him.
I reminded him Foden plays for England and plays as many passes to Haaland as the others to bury in the net.
But if England had Kane and Haaland you could map out the celebration parade route .

Maguire is fine when playing for England

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

England’s World Cup strikers. on 15:33 - Sep 7 with 2452 viewsconnell10

Eze bump up his value!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

England’s World Cup strikers. on 15:37 - Sep 7 with 2439 viewsstanistheman

I saw Toney's performance on MotD last week and immediately thought he was a certainty for the WC squad if he contiues to play like that.

He is a handful, a predator in the box and scores some great goals, not forgetting his excellent penalty taking which would be an asset given our difficulties in the almost certain shoot outs we face every tournament.

He will surely displace anyone of Watkins, Rashford or Abraham.
England’s World Cup strikers. on 07:34 - Sep 8 with 2244 viewsPaddyhoops

Imagine the scenario. Toney comes on in the last 5 minutes of the World Cup final and scores the winner. A Brentford centre forward wins the World Cup for England. We’d never hear the end of it.
Can’t see him at Brentford next season . So another injection of millions into Legoland looks on the cards.
England’s World Cup strikers. on 07:54 - Sep 8 with 2215 viewsdaveB

England’s World Cup strikers. on 07:34 - Sep 8 by Paddyhoops

Imagine the scenario. Toney comes on in the last 5 minutes of the World Cup final and scores the winner. A Brentford centre forward wins the World Cup for England. We’d never hear the end of it.
Can’t see him at Brentford next season . So another injection of millions into Legoland looks on the cards.

I'm surprised no one came in for him this summer
England’s World Cup strikers. on 07:35 - Sep 10 with 2033 viewsTGRRRSSS

I don't think Toney will go to the WC ion the basis he's not played for England, Southgate isnt what I'd call an especially bold coach liable to pick someone at this stage that he hadnt before.

Obviously if 2 or 3 got injured then maybe as there arent THAT many to pick from as actual strikers.

I'd argue some mentioned here are closer to attacking forward/wingers rather than proper centre forward (Not really a position that's somehow that well regarded these days for some reason.

Frustrates the hell out of me as scoring goals wins games and is the ultimate objective of the team, but so many oracle's of football go on about what else they need to be doing often 20 or 30 yards further back and then the players are not in the position when the opportunity arrives.
England’s World Cup strikers. on 15:46 - Sep 10 with 1867 viewsDavieQPR

It takes an awful lot for Southgate to pick anyone new.
England’s World Cup strikers. on 00:49 - Sep 11 with 1766 viewsNewBee

England’s World Cup strikers. on 13:41 - Sep 7 by CLAREMAN1995

If England had Haaland available to them, you wouldn't have to worry about no De Bruyne or Silva to supply him - Harry Kane is as good a passer as there is in the EPL, he could just drop deep and play No.10, creating space (and assists) ahead of him for Haaland deep in the box.

Meanwhile, re Toney, obviously I'm biased, so won't say he should/shouldn't be in the squad etc.

But one thing about him which non-Bees fans often don't appreciate is that he's brilliant when defending corners, long throws and free kicks into the Brentford penalty area, frequently winning more headers than even the big CB's.

Tbf, Kane is pretty useful in that respect, too, meaniing it's another aspect of the game where Toney could fill in for Kane, if necessary.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024