Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ukraine 23:51 - Sep 9 with 74335 viewsMrSheen

Posted with some trepidation as I know Clive doesn’t like multis. Understandably overlooked by the national media, but it seems like the Russians are completely caving in, rope-a-doped as effectively as von Paulus in 1942. Who knows what this might lead to?
Ukraine on 01:04 - Sep 10 with 12639 viewsdubaistu

Shame Vlad can't pop over next week, cut the head off the snake....
Ukraine on 07:01 - Sep 10 with 12470 viewsDWQPR

Ukraine on 01:04 - Sep 10 by dubaistu

Shame Vlad can't pop over next week, cut the head off the snake....

Rather now see him suffer total humiliation and toppled by his own people. It’s October next month and the Ruskis have a good record for being a bit bolshi in October.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Ukraine on 07:34 - Sep 10 with 12387 viewsToast_R

Unlikely he'd have the courage to quit now. This will go on for years. Russia's military prowess has always been about numbers over tactics and precision. They just simply plough Russians into uniforms until the enemy is exhausted. The amount of men he's willing to sacrifice is endless and he's already recruiting more soldiers.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2022 7:35]
Ukraine on 07:37 - Sep 10 with 12391 viewsTGRRRSSS

We'll see how long they can manage it or if he's simply taken out by others fearing for themselves at some point.

Nobody has endless supplies and you need to fuel the machine (literally and figuratively, can he do that indefinitely?

Winter will be telling I guess.....
Ukraine on 09:26 - Sep 10 with 12158 viewsswisscottage

Don't count your chickens quite yet.

The Ukrainians have made sweeping advances after breaking through the Russian lines with about 1 division of fresh, trained regulars and have achieved initial objectives in taking Balakliia and Shevchenkove, and securing and maybe destroying the bridge at Senkova to the north east of Izium.
Unknown whether they have got as far south as the bridge at Gorkhovatka.

There are unconfirmed reports that they have taken the western side of Kupiansk as well with the Russians vacating to consolidate in eastern Kupiansk as they await reinforcements.

The Russians have 1 division in Izium and about half that in Kupiansk, and are reinforcing with a fresh Division of the 3rd Army which has been held back for something like this.

Its now a race, as to whether Ukrainians can take and defend Kupiansk and set up defensive lines to the north of the salient and in Shevchenkovea before the Russians reinforce Kupiansk, and attempt to cut down to Shevchenkovea and potential coming at the Ukrainian advance from the rear.

The Ukrainians have the momentum against demoralised forces at the moment, but if the Russians can hold Izium and Kupiansk, and with 2 divisions to the 1 Ukrainian division, then it could all turn very quickly.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2022 9:33]
Ukraine on 10:01 - Sep 10 with 12042 viewsMaggsinho

Ukraine on 09:26 - Sep 10 by swisscottage

The Ukrainians have made sweeping advances after breaking through the Russian lines with about 1 division of fresh, trained regulars and have achieved initial objectives in taking Balakliia and Shevchenkove, and securing and maybe destroying the bridge at Senkova to the north east of Izium.

There are unconfirmed reports that they have taken the western side of Kupiansk as well with the Russians vacating to consolidate in eastern Kupiansk as they await reinforcements.

The Russians have 1 division in Izium and about half that in Kupiansk, and are reinforcing with a fresh Division of the 3rd Army which has been held back for something like this.

Its now a race, as to whether Ukrainians can take and defend Kupiansk and set up defensive lines to the north of the salient and in Shevchenkovea before the Russians reinforce Kupiansk, and attempt to cut down to Shevchenkovea and potential coming at the Ukrainian advance from the rear.

The Ukrainians have the momentum against demoralised forces at the moment, but if the Russians can hold Izium and Kupiansk, and with 2 divisions to the 1 Ukrainian division, then it could all turn very quickly.

Kupiansk is back under Ukrainian control and some rumours now that Izyum has surrendered

Ukraine on 10:12 - Sep 10 with 12007 viewsjohnhoop

Thanks for that Swiss. A lot more informative than most of the stuff you get in the papers.
Ukraine on 10:42 - Sep 10 with 11922 viewsMrSheen

You could well be right, but under that two-to-one are differences in equipment, morale, supply, mobility and basic complement. I’ve read that some of the reserves are patched up units from the defeat in Kiev, thrown back with recent recruits and weapons that are older than I am. We’ll know soon.
Login to get fewer ads

Ukraine on 10:43 - Sep 10 with 11918 viewsGloryHunter

Ukraine on 10:12 - Sep 10 by johnhoop

Thanks for that Swiss. A lot more informative than most of the stuff you get in the papers.

Agreed. Where are you reading this, Swiss?
Ukraine on 10:46 - Sep 10 with 11904 viewsjohnhoop

Ukraine on 10:42 - Sep 10 by MrSheen

You could well be right, but under that two-to-one are differences in equipment, morale, supply, mobility and basic complement. I’ve read that some of the reserves are patched up units from the defeat in Kiev, thrown back with recent recruits and weapons that are older than I am. We’ll know soon.

Hope you’re right Sheen.
Ukraine on 10:48 - Sep 10 with 11871 viewsenfieldargh

Heard an interview on radio that the russian guns which are not top notch modern need to be re-bored after so many uses abd that is something that cant be done at the front.

Also in the same intevview 138,000 new recruits which is actually slighlty less than are normally recruited and this number are normally recruited for all varoious services including internal security.

Guy said loads more plus winter soon coming & Ukriane/southern russia turns into "muddy road season," or "Rasputitsa." Moving artillery and replaicng troops becomes extremely tricky however Ukrainian forces will be used to it.

Please let that evil pig suffer preferably by his own side.

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Ukraine on 11:39 - Sep 10 with 11761 viewsswisscottage

Ukraine on 10:12 - Sep 10 by johnhoop

Various places. A small selection of Telegram and Twitter accounts, a bit from reddit and filling in blanks from a couple of other places.

When things are moving as fast as they are currently, nothing's totally certain, and most of the information is anything from a few hours to a day or two behind.

If you rely on anything from the press or MoD its usually two days behind, but it has been fact checked. Anything on Youtube is similarly behind the action and the majority of videos on Youtube is a mix of propaganda and bullshit bar a small handful of channels... even if something has got a 'tick' its still likely a heavily slanted picture that whilst factually correct does not give the full picture.
Ukraine on 11:53 - Sep 10 with 11708 viewsswisscottage

Ukraine on 10:42 - Sep 10 by MrSheen

Don't get me wrong, the stage of the Russian troops in the Kharkiv Oblast is poor. Most of the 'fit' active Russion combined arms groups are bizarrely still banging their head against the Ukrainian defence lines facing Donetsk and Horivka.

I honestly can't see a Russian division of fresh newly trained recruits being anything other than cannon fodder under the Russian command structure, but war is horribly uncertain.

The Ukrainian division in Kharkiv, is formed of fresh troops mixed with veterans and western trained forces and using Western mission command tactics under, where tactical decisions are made by those in the field in support of tactical and strategic mission goals. This enables them to be much faster to react to changing battlefield conditions when compared to Russian army command structure.
Ukraine on 12:04 - Sep 10 with 11704 viewsted_hendrix

Interestingly and as far as I know the Russians for the first time have for want of a better word publicly yesterday made the admission that things were not going all that well.

*On Friday a Russia-appointed official in the Kharkiv region admitted that Ukrainian forces had won a "significant victory".
"The very fact of a breach of our defences is already a substantial victory for the Ukrainian armed forces," Vitaly Ganchev told state TV.*

Speaking for myself I spent from 1968--1970 in an infantry regiment in West Germany, as part of NATO we trained and exercised with a view that the Russians and the Eastern BLOC as It was known would invade the West.
One of the 'key' things back then as It still is today was 'supply' lines another issue that always stood out was it was easier to defend than attack.
The news outlets I've treated with caution and suspicion, I've watched Ukrainian military operational videos that were filmed 'live' but they are now few and far between for some reason.
Just my opinion but don't think for one minute that the Russian army is a 'spent force' they are not and they won't be either for a long time yet.
Yes they have made some crucially bad and costly military decisions but unfortunately there is a long-long way to go in this pox ridden war.
The one thing I still don't understand is the respective air forces, the Ukranian air force have ageing Sukhoi Su-27's and Mig 29's whereas the Russian air force is tbh close to being one of the best if not the best and most powerful air forces in the world.
There's been a military saying for as long as I can remember that say's win the air battle and control the skies and you win the war, I'm perfectly happy that the Russian air force isn't being used to It's capacity but I don't know why.

Sadly there is a long-long way to go in my opinion, I wish Zelenskyy and his people all the best and hopefully they can continue taking back parts of their country and kick the bloody Russians out once and for all.

All the while sparing a thought for the poor sods who have lost their lives because of putin, nobody else but putin.

Bastard.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Ukraine on 12:05 - Sep 10 with 11699 viewsozexile

I just can't see how this will end. There's no way Putin will accept defeat. Which could leave only one devestating result.
Ukraine on 12:17 - Sep 10 with 11664 viewsMaggsinho

Ukraine on 12:18 - Sep 10 with 11651 viewsRs_Holy

Ukraine on 12:05 - Sep 10 by ozexile

I just can't see how this will end. There's no way Putin will accept defeat. Which could leave only one devestating result.

That is exactly how I feel… I hope he doesn’t do anything really stupid if he is backed into a corner 🤞🤞🤞
Ukraine on 12:37 - Sep 10 with 11612 viewsJuzzie

With regards to the Air Force I too am bemused how there hasn’t more useage of it.
I can only think surface to air defences are so much better these days that it’s actually a risk.

The mum in law lives in Belgorod and she can hear distant explosions on a daily basis and word of mouth talk of villages hit. None of being reported in the national news. I asked that if it’s not being reported then what have they got to hide if they supposedly consider themselves to be on the side of transparency and right. Apparently it’s because if the populace found out they’d put pressure on to retaliate. So why don’t they want to retaliate? Are things not going as planned?

As others have said, the big worry is how Putin will act if trapped in corner. All Hitler had was a bunker and pistol, Putin has a lot more at his disposal.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2022 12:39]
Ukraine on 13:23 - Sep 10 with 11470 viewsswisscottage

Ukraine on 12:04 - Sep 10 by ted_hendrix

Interestingly and as far as I know the Russians for the first time have for want of a better word publicly yesterday made the admission that things were not going all that well.

*On Friday a Russia-appointed official in the Kharkiv region admitted that Ukrainian forces had won a "significant victory".
"The very fact of a breach of our defences is already a substantial victory for the Ukrainian armed forces," Vitaly Ganchev told state TV.*

Speaking for myself I spent from 1968--1970 in an infantry regiment in West Germany, as part of NATO we trained and exercised with a view that the Russians and the Eastern BLOC as It was known would invade the West.
One of the 'key' things back then as It still is today was 'supply' lines another issue that always stood out was it was easier to defend than attack.
The news outlets I've treated with caution and suspicion, I've watched Ukrainian military operational videos that were filmed 'live' but they are now few and far between for some reason.
Just my opinion but don't think for one minute that the Russian army is a 'spent force' they are not and they won't be either for a long time yet.
Yes they have made some crucially bad and costly military decisions but unfortunately there is a long-long way to go in this pox ridden war.
The one thing I still don't understand is the respective air forces, the Ukranian air force have ageing Sukhoi Su-27's and Mig 29's whereas the Russian air force is tbh close to being one of the best if not the best and most powerful air forces in the world.
There's been a military saying for as long as I can remember that say's win the air battle and control the skies and you win the war, I'm perfectly happy that the Russian air force isn't being used to It's capacity but I don't know why.

Sadly there is a long-long way to go in my opinion, I wish Zelenskyy and his people all the best and hopefully they can continue taking back parts of their country and kick the bloody Russians out once and for all.

All the while sparing a thought for the poor sods who have lost their lives because of putin, nobody else but putin.

Bastard.

The problem with the Russian Air Force is limited flight hours.

They spend a fortune on the aircraft but don't have the flight time.

Because of the lack of flight time, they also don't train in big wings with combined arms very often

Combined arms is extremely difficult and requires extensive training, not just for the airforce but also for the all other forces to avoid red on red.

Generally speaking they rarely fly in more than pairs because of this and this prevents them flying any more than a handful of aircraft in a particular space at any one time which means they never have the advantage of numbers in the air at any one time whilst Ukraine can still field an airforce.
Ukraine on 13:26 - Sep 10 with 11481 viewsDWQPR

With regard to the use of the Air Force there were reports that the Russians have been buying drones from Iran that have military capabilities but that these drones are suffering a lot of tech issues. They are also by all accounts been buying shells from North Korea. Now if both these reports are true and this is where they are left to restock from and at the same time the Ukrainians are being supplied with cutting edge western technology then it doesn’t look good for Putin.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Ukraine on 13:45 - Sep 10 with 11409 viewsswisscottage

Latest Map shows even more territory gained in the last 24 hours with Ukrainian forces now sweeping to the north.

Izium now effectively cutoff as the only supply line from the east is covered by Ukrainian artillery. Probably expect its surrender within 48 hours if not imminently
Ukraine on 16:04 - Sep 10 with 11239 viewsR_from_afar

Ukraine on 13:26 - Sep 10 by DWQPR

With regard to the use of the Air Force there were reports that the Russians have been buying drones from Iran that have military capabilities but that these drones are suffering a lot of tech issues. They are also by all accounts been buying shells from North Korea. Now if both these reports are true and this is where they are left to restock from and at the same time the Ukrainians are being supplied with cutting edge western technology then it doesn’t look good for Putin.

I can't remember where I read it but I saw an article which claimed that the Russians were in need of components for their weaponry which are only made by Western nations. The hope was that if suppliers exhibited solidarity with Ukraine and refused to sell to Putin, a lot of his equipment could become unusable.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Ukraine on 16:43 - Sep 10 with 11166 viewsslmrstid

One thing I've read, and how true it is is of course subject to debate as I don't know, is that the Russians are very deliberately using soldiers from ethnic minorities and rural areas within the country - ie the Russian equivalent of hillbillies that the metropolitan Russia looks down upon anyway.

All being done so the sons of the middle classes in Moscow and St Petersburg are kept well out of harm, and if it comes to a point that they start getting drafted in and hurt, that's when internal pressures will really come to bite Putin.

All conjecture of course...
Ukraine on 16:54 - Sep 10 with 11160 viewsMrSheen

Ukraine on 16:04 - Sep 10 by R_from_afar

I can't remember where I read it but I saw an article which claimed that the Russians were in need of components for their weaponry which are only made by Western nations. The hope was that if suppliers exhibited solidarity with Ukraine and refused to sell to Putin, a lot of his equipment could become unusable.

Not sure you can trust any photo online, but I have seen Twitter pictures of captured Russian shells stamped 1964 and lots of surprise about vintage machines hauled out of cold storage - DNR/LNR conscripts had WW1 rifles. Apparently they had a new “T-14” tank due to enter service from 2015 but it still isn’t ready. Having lost most of their T-90s, they are working through their T-72s (the number denotes the year of design) and even getting T-64s out of mothballs for static defence. Not only was there lots of corruption and skimming, they also sold whole production lines to India.
Ukraine on 17:07 - Sep 10 with 11101 viewsstevec

The only exports getting out of Odesa all seem destined for Chinese financed African countries.

Think we’re all being played by China. Russia being hung out to dry militarily, European economies being financially battered by the ensuing energy crisis.

There’s only one winner and it’s not Russia or the west.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024