Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kids at away games 14:09 - Oct 3 with 5092 viewsNewYorkRanger

HI all - took my youngest daughter(10 year old) to Bristol on Saturday. This was her first proper away game (did Reading last season but went in the home end) and she was quite intimidated by the atmosphere (not helped by the fact that a couple of lads near us had obviously been on it for quite a while and were pretty aggressive).

It's been quite a while since I followed the R's away and I was in 2 minds about it as I'm fully aware that the fanbase and the atmosphere is very different for away games. In the event we ended up leaving very early as she was very intimidated by the whole thing. I was aware that this could be a risk but I'm wondering if any others out there that take youngsters away have any tips on how to make them feel safe and secure?

My daughter has not been put off going to home games by this as she knows the ground and loves the atmosphere in the family stand. But unless i can take her with me I can't get to away games unless I wanna get divorced.

Any thoughts/tips gladly received

Glory hunter, me

Kids at away games on 14:18 - Oct 3 with 4014 viewsthame_hoops

urghhh sorry to hear this mate
Kids at away games on 14:19 - Oct 3 with 4008 viewsE17hoop

Get there early - avoiding the crowds on the concourse is important and settles them in.

Get drinks and food early too before it fills up. Once the concourse fills it'll get lairy.

Head to the front for seats. In most places it's unreserved but if not, just tell the stewards at the front your concerns and they'll usually let you go nearer. Most singing and associated acts are further back. Going to the front means sh'll be able to see the warm up better and should keep her occupied. At some grounds the players will get close enough to chat.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Kids at away games on 14:21 - Oct 3 with 3995 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Im not a parent, but my immediate thoughts: Why not stick to home games until she's more confident about going away? Only needs one big-off to scare her for life.

No idea when they play, but go see women's team play when we're away or, women's footy in general? Show her a non-gender specific view that football is only a man's game, with a predilection for neanderthals to attend.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Kids at away games on 14:26 - Oct 3 with 3963 viewsWilly_WonkR

I would say don't let one experience put you off.
I've been taking my son to away games since he was 7 (now nearly 15) and the vast majority of those haven't been an issue. As a northerner we've been to more away games than home and the further you are from West London the more space there tends to be in the away end.
There we always be a few individuals or groups who don't adjust their behaviour or language when there is a child around (they may argue why should they), but there is nearly always somewhere else to move to.
Give it two or three more away games and see how you both feel. If it's not right then try in a season or two when she is older.
Kids at away games on 14:28 - Oct 3 with 3951 viewsDWQPR

Took my daughter to her first away game back in 2006 against Brizzle as well. Was before the ground had been redeveloped and stood/sat in the old away end (see Clive's pre-match description). Any intimidation would have been from the opposition support and walking back to the car, across the main road behind what is now the away end into the industrial estate, we passed a pub (now closed), which was rammed with City supporters who promptly started given both of us some abuse. I turned and went up to them and just started to have a good chat. Within minutes they had got us drinks and we spent a decent hour talking about our two teams. Not a problem whatsoever. But is seems the issue here is with a few of our own supporters. It may be worth suggesting whether you can ask the box office in future to have seats closer to the front where supporters who might be a bit more of the undiserable type don't tend to end up. But persevere, I'm sure she will get to really enjoy the away matches as much as the home games, as long as the results go our way mind!

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Kids at away games on 14:30 - Oct 3 with 3938 viewsBlackCrowe

Divorce sounds plausible.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Kids at away games on 15:20 - Oct 3 with 3784 viewsNewYorkRanger

Kids at away games on 14:19 - Oct 3 by E17hoop

Get there early - avoiding the crowds on the concourse is important and settles them in.

Get drinks and food early too before it fills up. Once the concourse fills it'll get lairy.

Head to the front for seats. In most places it's unreserved but if not, just tell the stewards at the front your concerns and they'll usually let you go nearer. Most singing and associated acts are further back. Going to the front means sh'll be able to see the warm up better and should keep her occupied. At some grounds the players will get close enough to chat.

Thanks for that E17 - makes sense and will give that a go when the next opportunity arises. Had planned to be there a bit earlier on Satuirday but M4 closure didn't help!

Glory hunter, me

Kids at away games on 15:21 - Oct 3 with 3777 viewsNewYorkRanger

Kids at away games on 14:21 - Oct 3 by PlanetHonneywood

Im not a parent, but my immediate thoughts: Why not stick to home games until she's more confident about going away? Only needs one big-off to scare her for life.

No idea when they play, but go see women's team play when we're away or, women's footy in general? Show her a non-gender specific view that football is only a man's game, with a predilection for neanderthals to attend.

yeah - maybe will stick with home games for a while. It's actually more driven by my own desire to get to away games after a good few years of not traveling! We are going to the England v USA womens game at Wembley on Friday so that will hopefully show her a different experience
[Post edited 3 Oct 2022 16:05]

Glory hunter, me

Login to get fewer ads

Kids at away games on 15:23 - Oct 3 with 3766 viewsNewYorkRanger

Kids at away games on 14:28 - Oct 3 by DWQPR

Took my daughter to her first away game back in 2006 against Brizzle as well. Was before the ground had been redeveloped and stood/sat in the old away end (see Clive's pre-match description). Any intimidation would have been from the opposition support and walking back to the car, across the main road behind what is now the away end into the industrial estate, we passed a pub (now closed), which was rammed with City supporters who promptly started given both of us some abuse. I turned and went up to them and just started to have a good chat. Within minutes they had got us drinks and we spent a decent hour talking about our two teams. Not a problem whatsoever. But is seems the issue here is with a few of our own supporters. It may be worth suggesting whether you can ask the box office in future to have seats closer to the front where supporters who might be a bit more of the undiserable type don't tend to end up. But persevere, I'm sure she will get to really enjoy the away matches as much as the home games, as long as the results go our way mind!

Yeah - thanks for that, will try asking the Box Office for seats closer to the front next time we go away

Glory hunter, me

Kids at away games on 15:42 - Oct 3 with 3683 viewsdenhamhoop2

Would suggest maybe asking the Box Office for seats at the front and if possible being able to sit with those who travel on the official supporters coach they tend to be a little more sober and restrained than much of our away support
Kids at away games on 15:53 - Oct 3 with 3641 viewsNewYorkRanger

Kids at away games on 15:42 - Oct 3 by denhamhoop2

Would suggest maybe asking the Box Office for seats at the front and if possible being able to sit with those who travel on the official supporters coach they tend to be a little more sober and restrained than much of our away support

Cheers Denham - I live a way out of town out so official travel not generally a great option, but I will try going nearer the front next time.

Glory hunter, me

Kids at away games on 16:00 - Oct 3 with 3600 viewsmikeygunn

I’ve taken my daughter to a number of away games, Wigan, Preston, Bolton and Boro. Started when she was 5 and she’s now 9. Never any real issues but again, it’s all northern based so not as many people. Sit down the front and you’ll have a better experience! Also, 4 away games, 4 away wins. She’s a lucky omen.
Kids at away games on 16:07 - Oct 3 with 3560 viewsloftboy

First away game I took my then 6 year old to was palace away in 2010, he got adopted by the QPR boys on the train back to Clapham! He loved all the atmospheres even the intimidating ones, maybe a boy thing.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2022 16:13]

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Kids at away games on 16:34 - Oct 3 with 3495 viewsDTIG

Take the wife and the daughter. That way, if it all gets a little spicy they can both slip away, you get to watch the rest of the game and you can meet them in Nandos later for a cheeky chicken qtr.
Or...take her to Fulham games. She'll soon come running back :-)
Kids at away games on 16:49 - Oct 3 with 3449 viewsGaryBannisterswedge

Kids at away games on 16:34 - Oct 3 by DTIG

Take the wife and the daughter. That way, if it all gets a little spicy they can both slip away, you get to watch the rest of the game and you can meet them in Nandos later for a cheeky chicken qtr.

Been taking my daughters to away games for the last couple of years and no issues, I would sit near the front as mentioned, most games are unreserved so sit near other families, chaps with their kids and you should be fine, avoid concourse at half time and hang about a bit and cheer players off and you should be all good, Saturday was a bit of a strange one as entrance to the turnstiles were busy as tickets for about 4-500 were in traffic on the offish coach and then they ushered us through and bundled us in to the bottom turnstiles, I would give It another go as generally they are all fine and the way we are playing away from home is a joy at the moment, Good luck pal!!
Kids at away games on 16:53 - Oct 3 with 3437 viewsNewYorkRanger

Kids at away games on 16:34 - Oct 3 by DTIG

Yeah - that would definitely work, but I've got as much chance of getting the Mrs to football as I have of starting up front for the R's!

Glory hunter, me

Kids at away games on 16:54 - Oct 3 with 3427 viewsNewYorkRanger

Kids at away games on 16:49 - Oct 3 by GaryBannisterswedge

Been taking my daughters to away games for the last couple of years and no issues, I would sit near the front as mentioned, most games are unreserved so sit near other families, chaps with their kids and you should be fine, avoid concourse at half time and hang about a bit and cheer players off and you should be all good, Saturday was a bit of a strange one as entrance to the turnstiles were busy as tickets for about 4-500 were in traffic on the offish coach and then they ushered us through and bundled us in to the bottom turnstiles, I would give It another go as generally they are all fine and the way we are playing away from home is a joy at the moment, Good luck pal!!

Cheers for that - decent advice which I will try next time, whenever that may be

Glory hunter, me

Kids at away games on 18:12 - Oct 3 with 3224 viewsdaveB

not being able to reserve seats can be a problem when it's sold out as you don't get the choice to sit down the front, a few away games last few years were a bit of a nightmare taking my son but it's got easier the more he's done it and he enjoys all the noise now.

Best advice is to pick the games carefully, anything north of Coventry you'll be fine, sit where you like and always a nice day out, the closer ones like Bristol City are usually a bit more intimidating in the away end for younger ones.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2022 18:12]
Kids at away games on 18:49 - Oct 3 with 3119 viewsPunteR

Prob best just stick to home games for now. She's still very young. I've had to select the games we attend with the kids, it's just one of those things. I remember taking my two older kids when they were about 6 and 8 when we played Watford at home, sat in Xblock but had to take them out 15 minutes into the game. So pick your games, seating area etc. No point forcing them to football.
You have to play the long game. I'm sure she'll learn to love it, especially if she sees her dad enjoying it and not stressing out..lol

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Kids at away games on 18:54 - Oct 3 with 3091 viewsDavieQPR

Very few fans sit ( or stand) in their designated seats at away games. Just look around and go near another dad/kid combination.
Kids at away games on 19:36 - Oct 3 with 3000 viewsE17hoop

Kids at away games on 18:49 - Oct 3 by PunteR

Prob best just stick to home games for now. She's still very young. I've had to select the games we attend with the kids, it's just one of those things. I remember taking my two older kids when they were about 6 and 8 when we played Watford at home, sat in Xblock but had to take them out 15 minutes into the game. So pick your games, seating area etc. No point forcing them to football.
You have to play the long game. I'm sure she'll learn to love it, especially if she sees her dad enjoying it and not stressing out..lol

Both of mine were going to away games from 5/6 and loved it. The only issues we ever had were at Cambridge where went to the front and a crush at Plymouth at half time which was unsafe. My youngest is now 22 and has done about 40 grounds now, including Ashton Gate for the first time on Saturday.

Kids at away games on 19:53 - Oct 3 with 2949 viewsdavman

Kids at away games on 19:36 - Oct 3 by E17hoop

Both of mine were going to away games from 5/6 and loved it. The only issues we ever had were at Cambridge where went to the front and a crush at Plymouth at half time which was unsafe. My youngest is now 22 and has done about 40 grounds now, including Ashton Gate for the first time on Saturday.

Jeez, Andy - 22! WTF? Mind you, mine's 16 now. Time marches on. Wonder if QPR will ever be as good in their life time as they've been in ours?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Kids at away games on 20:20 - Oct 3 with 2902 viewsDWQPR

Kids at away games on 16:53 - Oct 3 by NewYorkRanger

Yeah - that would definitely work, but I've got as much chance of getting the Mrs to football as I have of starting up front for the R's!

You’re not Lyndon Dykes are you? 😂

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Kids at away games on 21:16 - Oct 3 with 2788 viewsPunteR

To be honest I didn't think Bristol was that bad. Pretty good atmosphere, loads of kids for both sets of supporters. It does only take a couple of rowdy lads to turn things sour. Maybe next time just move away from that section.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Kids at away games on 09:05 - Oct 4 with 2490 viewsE17hoop

Kids at away games on 19:53 - Oct 3 by davman

Jeez, Andy - 22! WTF? Mind you, mine's 16 now. Time marches on. Wonder if QPR will ever be as good in their life time as they've been in ours?

Yeah - and Jnr is 27.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024