Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Grounds without a Train Station 16:08 - Oct 12 with 4417 viewsextratimeR

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/oct/12/which-is-the-biggest-english-fo

Apologies if already mentioned, (good news about Clive's favourite away game).
Grounds without a Train Station on 16:24 - Oct 12 with 3927 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Yeovil not mentioned but that was a bastard.

Tried to jump the queue by telling the cabbie my name was Paul Finney when he called it out but got busted by the man himself 😆
Grounds without a Train Station on 16:39 - Oct 12 with 3873 viewsNorthernr

It's good news about Reading, as long as they open the thing on matchdays.

Coventry's monstrosity was built without a train station. Like Reading, one was finally added years later, except they reckon it will be too crowded on matchdays for the number of trains that use it, so you can only get off there when the stadium isn't being used. Stadium of Light Metro station is the same.
Grounds without a Train Station on 16:57 - Oct 12 with 3789 viewsMick_S

Grounds without a Train Station on 16:39 - Oct 12 by Northernr

Coventry's monstrosity was built without a train station. Like Reading, one was finally added years later, except they reckon it will be too crowded on matchdays for the number of trains that use it, so you can only get off there when the stadium isn't being used. Stadium of Light Metro station is the same.

Sensible.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Grounds without a Train Station on 17:02 - Oct 12 with 3772 viewsJuzzie

We had a station right behind the main stand at Park Royal. Can't get much closer than that!

Grounds without a Train Station on 17:26 - Oct 12 with 3712 viewsstevec

Interesting article. No mention of Cambridge but 40 years ago on a freezing cold afternoon in December I swear the walk from the station to the ground felt like about 20 miles.
Grounds without a Train Station on 18:49 - Oct 12 with 3493 viewsCiderwithRsie

I see an hon mention for my own nearest club, Forest Green Rovers.

This reminds me of one of my favourite NorthernR quotes, from the Awayday Guide when we played a pre-season friendly at the New Lawn. It described the route from Stroud to Nailsworth and up Springhill and Nympsfield Road and then said "just when you are reaching the last houses and thinking that there can't possibly be a football club here it's on your left."
Grounds without a Train Station on 18:58 - Oct 12 with 3460 viewsBoston

Grounds without a Train Station on 17:26 - Oct 12 by stevec

Interesting article. No mention of Cambridge but 40 years ago on a freezing cold afternoon in December I swear the walk from the station to the ground felt like about 20 miles.

Across the fields.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Grounds without a Train Station on 19:41 - Oct 12 with 3379 viewstraininvain

Not football but I always find Twickenham an absolute ball ache. One station for a crowd of 80,000.

I have to go for work once or twice a year and I’ve started enjoying the game but every time I dread the car crash that is trying to get home whether that’s immediately after the game or even a couple of hours later (still a nightmare). And I only live 30 mins away.
Login to get fewer ads

Grounds without a Train Station on 20:08 - Oct 12 with 3331 viewsted_hendrix

The station walk too and from Colchester United's ground is like an Everest base camp trek.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Grounds without a Train Station on 20:52 - Oct 12 with 3226 viewsLadbrokeR

Grimsby was a trek
Grounds without a Train Station on 20:54 - Oct 12 with 3223 viewsJuzzie

Grounds without a Train Station on 19:41 - Oct 12 by traininvain

Not football but I always find Twickenham an absolute ball ache. One station for a crowd of 80,000.

I have to go for work once or twice a year and I’ve started enjoying the game but every time I dread the car crash that is trying to get home whether that’s immediately after the game or even a couple of hours later (still a nightmare). And I only live 30 mins away.

Go to the next stop, Whitton.

Turn right out of the station, walk up the high street to the top and turn right by the mini roundabout. Takes you straight to the ground.
Grounds without a Train Station on 01:48 - Oct 13 with 2926 viewsBoston

St Peters is the nearest station to SOL though. Also, walked to Sunderland main line once, about ten mins.

Grounds without a Train Station on 07:49 - Oct 13 with 2786 viewsTrom

You can add Millwall when they want to force you the wrong way on the train and then onto the underground regardless of where you actually live and threaten to arrest you when you point out this as a fcking ridiculous way to treat people.
Grounds without a Train Station on 11:31 - Oct 13 with 2526 viewstoboboly

Falmer Station at Brighton is horrendous to get out of at full time. Like the last chopper out of Saigon.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Grounds without a Train Station on 11:41 - Oct 13 with 2484 viewspeakqpr

Please add Preston and Bristol City.
Grounds without a Train Station on 11:48 - Oct 13 with 2453 viewsDavieQPR

The old Stamford Bridge used to be a trek after you got through the turnstiles to get pitch side.
Grounds without a Train Station on 11:53 - Oct 13 with 2440 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Not sure if it’s improved with the new stadium but I always found White Hart Lane very awkward to get out of. Big Queues at White Hart lane station and Northumberland Park. Walking down to Seven Sisters is easiest but almost 2 miles although you can sometimes jump on a bus at Bruce Grove if you’re lucky.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Grounds without a Train Station on 11:54 - Oct 13 with 2436 viewsDannyPaddox

I have a very vague memory of going away to Yeovil with Finney and knowing the lay of the land he’d booked a taxi ahead. As the train dropped us off in the middle of Nowhere, Somersetshire, I sensed many people hadn't realised just how far away the ground was. There was one taxi in the station car-park with the driver arse plonked on the bonnet saying “Taxi for Paul” Cue a few-enactment of Spartacus with masses of QPR fans streaming into the car-park claiming “I’m Paul!”
Grounds without a Train Station on 12:49 - Oct 13 with 2354 viewsBoston

Carlisle United was a longer than expected walk. The days before mobile / cell phones and we took the wrong direction out of the station. Nice town mind.

Grounds without a Train Station on 12:52 - Oct 13 with 2344 viewsWalnut

When were at the Ricoh in January, train Planner apps had buses running from Cov Arena station, as in, no trains on match day but on the Cov website now it says no special services are run for events BUT they do run to timetable. As of yesterday, trains are scheduled through Cov Arena station on Sat Nov 12. Whether they actually run is another matter
Grounds without a Train Station on 12:55 - Oct 13 with 2340 viewsNorthernr

Grounds without a Train Station on 20:52 - Oct 12 by LadbrokeR

Grimsby was a trek

If you get off at Grimsby it will be - the ground is in Cleethorpes.
Grounds without a Train Station on 13:24 - Oct 13 with 2263 viewsM40R

Stoke is a classic. The new ground was built next to the mainline but of course no new station. We decided to walk after hearing some of the away fan bus compound horrors. No too bad but a bit gloomy on a dark night!

Another topic could be stations with names similar but nowhere near the actual team name. Bolton springs to mind, and of course Queen's Park!
Grounds without a Train Station on 13:51 - Oct 13 with 2200 viewsDWQPR

Away support must enjoy coming to LR. When you think of the stations that are walkable to the ground:

East Action
White City
Wood Lane
Shepherds Bush
Shepherds Bush Overground
Shepherds Bush Mainline
Shepherds Bush Market
Goldhawk Road

And on top of that various bus routes, the A40, we must have the most accessible ground in the country.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Grounds without a Train Station on 14:00 - Oct 13 with 2191 viewsJames_Paddocks

Preston must be in with a shout? It felt like miles anyway...
Grounds without a Train Station on 17:16 - Oct 13 with 2049 viewsBoston

Grounds without a Train Station on 12:55 - Oct 13 by Northernr

If you get off at Grimsby it will be - the ground is in Cleethorpes.

...and of course, Cleethorpes Town FC is in Grimsby.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024