Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Watching a game in Europe 21:09 - Jan 16 with 5641 viewsdavman

Help please! Looking to grab a weekend for me and the boy on the continent before the end of the season, but want to grab hold of those cheap European tickets we hear so much about. The only stuff I can find on the Internet is for the really big clubs and it is not cheap.

We want a reasonable standard of football and would like a full house with a monster atmosphere, but on the other hand, somewhere where we can guarantee to get a ticket without splashing out my entire annual bonus on it.

Any ideas / suggestions?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Watching a game in Europe on 21:49 - Jan 16 with 4792 viewsJuzzie

With absolutely no experience whatsoever I reckon Germany is your best bet.

Union Berlin are doing well at the moment, 22k stadium

Borussia Dortmond might be worth a try, Schalke too.
Watching a game in Europe on 22:01 - Jan 16 with 4746 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Mel best one to ask.

Also Eurostar doing €39 tickets right now.

That gives you access to PSG, Ajax, and Anderlecht.

Tickets are cheap enough on the door. I think I paid €9 to see Standard Liege last summer.
Watching a game in Europe on 22:03 - Jan 16 with 4739 viewsstowmarketrange

Watching a game in Europe on 21:49 - Jan 16 by Juzzie

Union Berlin home games are usually sold out I believe.My brother goes to Germany to watch games,and he normally goes to the smaller bundeslega clubs.
I’ve been to Italy to watch Napoli and that is normally cheap enough,and is normally a good atmosphere,especially this season as they’re top of Serie A.
We went to the ground early and sampled the prematch vibes.A few beers and a fantastic pizza are all part of the day.It helped that we had a couple of Napoli London fan club scarves,but the people were very friendly anyway.You just have to be a bit careful with pickpockets on buses and trains,but that’s the same almost everywhere now.
We saw them beat AC Milan 3-1 in feb 2014,and taarabt was playing for Milan.
Watching a game in Europe on 22:06 - Jan 16 with 4728 viewscheesy

Berlins a good choice. A cheaper city with good cheap travel. I would do Hertha Berlin and take a stadium tour at the same time. Well worth it.
Watching a game in Europe on 22:22 - Jan 16 with 4669 viewsSydneyRs

Seen a couple of people on twitter that got tickets for games at the San Siro for under 10 euros, not sure whether on the gate or online.

Here's a great thread by a guy that did a Europe trip instead of the Fleetwood cup game:

[Post edited 16 Jan 2023 22:22]
Watching a game in Europe on 22:24 - Jan 16 with 4654 viewsSydneyRs

Berlin has the added bonus of being a great town and very easy to get around.

Dortmund are known for having reasonably priced tickets I think so also would be good.
Watching a game in Europe on 22:29 - Jan 16 with 4637 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Watching a game in Europe on 22:22 - Jan 16 by SydneyRs

Seen a couple of people on twitter that got tickets for games at the San Siro for under 10 euros, not sure whether on the gate or online.

Here's a great thread by a guy that did a Europe trip instead of the Fleetwood cup game:

[Post edited 16 Jan 2023 22:22]

Can’t drink in Portuguese stadiums though!
Watching a game in Europe on 00:24 - Jan 17 with 4543 viewsSydneyRs

Watching a game in Europe on 22:29 - Jan 16 by BazzaInTheLoft

Can’t drink in Portuguese stadiums though!

He went to games in Milan and Paris. Lisbon got involved because it was apparently cheaper to fly home via there to the UK than direct from Paris, so he took the opportunity to see another city.
Login to get fewer ads

Watching a game in Europe on 00:42 - Jan 17 with 4526 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Watching a game in Europe on 00:24 - Jan 17 by SydneyRs

He went to games in Milan and Paris. Lisbon got involved because it was apparently cheaper to fly home via there to the UK than direct from Paris, so he took the opportunity to see another city.

Ah makes sense!
[Post edited 17 Jan 2023 0:42]
Watching a game in Europe on 14:20 - Jan 17 with 4325 viewsSonofNorfolt

Sam has still got youth on his side, he'll get sick of that in the end or he'll have been to the majority of major cities.
Oddly enough, I too was in Lisbon that weekend where I caught three matches neither of which were the big clubs, after first having been to the Azores where I also saw a match.
It's good place to start and still cheap, as is Porto.
The North Rhine-Westphalia region doesn't disappoint, there's usually a selection of games on over the course of a weekend and if you have a match ticket travel free on Deutsche Bahn.
Spain, as long as doesn't involve the terrible two, is normally decent, Madrid, Seville, Valencia etc
France can be alright as well, just avoid PSG.
Belgium, I like, The Netherlands not so much.
Italy, I'm a bit love hate, remember to take ID when buying tickets, and to the game, getting a brief is fairly easy..
Berlin, as stated, is a brilliant city, you are unlikely to get into Union very easily, unlike scheisse Hertha, who do have a terrific ground that they never fill.
I can recommend many cities further afield, especially the Belgrade derby, but you're better off sticking to Western Europe to start.
Read all about it in my books......
Writing this, I've convinced myself to go elsewhere again, Rangers at Hull away on the 28th? Nah, Real Oviedo instead.
Watching a game in Europe on 14:45 - Jan 17 with 4269 viewsaston_hoop

Sevilla and Bilbao are both great cities to visit, nice stadiums, good standard of football. Not guaranteed a monster atmosphere though! Got Sevilla or Real Betis in Sevilla. San Sebastian too and catch Real Sociedad...again no guarantee of great atmosphere, but the city is wonderful.

FC U Craiova at home for me in a couple of weeks, well I'll be there anyway so why not!

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Watching a game in Europe on 14:52 - Jan 17 with 4244 viewskingshill

If you base yourself in Dusseldorf or Cologne you've got both those teams, plus Leverkusen, Monchengladbach, Dortmund, Schalke and Bochum fairly close by and in the top 2 divisions plus Duisburg (blue and white hoops) in the 3rd.
Tickets for Dortmund aren't easy but the rest should be manageable and as Mel said train travel is cheap/free depending on where you're going.
We drove out there twice and did Bruge v Liege on the way back once, and PSV v Den Haag on the way out once, easy to get well priced tickets for both
Watching a game in Europe on 14:52 - Jan 17 with 4243 viewsrobith

Have a mate who lives in Berlin and has a Union ST, very difficult to get a ticket now, flying and super popular
Watching a game in Europe on 15:36 - Jan 17 with 4153 viewsstowmarketrange

Watching a game in Europe on 14:20 - Jan 17 by SonofNorfolt

Sam has still got youth on his side, he'll get sick of that in the end or he'll have been to the majority of major cities.
Oddly enough, I too was in Lisbon that weekend where I caught three matches neither of which were the big clubs, after first having been to the Azores where I also saw a match.
It's good place to start and still cheap, as is Porto.
The North Rhine-Westphalia region doesn't disappoint, there's usually a selection of games on over the course of a weekend and if you have a match ticket travel free on Deutsche Bahn.
Spain, as long as doesn't involve the terrible two, is normally decent, Madrid, Seville, Valencia etc
France can be alright as well, just avoid PSG.
Belgium, I like, The Netherlands not so much.
Italy, I'm a bit love hate, remember to take ID when buying tickets, and to the game, getting a brief is fairly easy..
Berlin, as stated, is a brilliant city, you are unlikely to get into Union very easily, unlike scheisse Hertha, who do have a terrific ground that they never fill.
I can recommend many cities further afield, especially the Belgrade derby, but you're better off sticking to Western Europe to start.
Read all about it in my books......
Writing this, I've convinced myself to go elsewhere again, Rangers at Hull away on the 28th? Nah, Real Oviedo instead.

Shame you’re not at Hull Mel.I was going for the new record of “we hate Chelsea.”
Watching a game in Europe on 16:41 - Jan 17 with 4046 viewsSonofNorfolt

Watching a game in Europe on 15:36 - Jan 17 by stowmarketrange

Shame you’re not at Hull Mel.I was going for the new record of “we hate Chelsea.”

Better start now then.........
Watching a game in Europe on 17:56 - Jan 17 with 3955 viewsswitchingcode

Madrid is a good shout as it’s a great city to visit with the options of Real Madrid Athletico Getafe and Rayo Vallecano grounds to visit all easy to access from the city centre.Have done them all and there is sometimes a possibility to see 3 of these over a long weekend.Rayo Vallecano is a very interesting ground to visit a real working class left wing area of the city with great fans.
Watching a game in Europe on 18:08 - Jan 17 with 3925 viewsLblock

Surely the answer is "just get a VPN"

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Watching a game in Europe on 18:10 - Jan 17 with 3928 viewsJuzzie

Barcelona is more of a tourist trap than Old Trafford but worth a visit especially before it's modernised. The view from all but the upper tier is actually quite good, pitch isn't as far away as it may appear.
When me an Juzzie Jnr (resplendent in his 'barca' QPR away top) visited in August (just after the season had started) I was surprised how poor the atmosphere was though. However, it was a friendly against Man City so maybe that didn't help.

Tickets shouldn't be a problem especially if it's not big opposition. Stadium holds 99k and I think they average 83k
Watching a game in Europe on 18:15 - Jan 17 with 3905 viewsstowmarketrange

Watching a game in Europe on 18:10 - Jan 17 by Juzzie

Barcelona is more of a tourist trap than Old Trafford but worth a visit especially before it's modernised. The view from all but the upper tier is actually quite good, pitch isn't as far away as it may appear.
When me an Juzzie Jnr (resplendent in his 'barca' QPR away top) visited in August (just after the season had started) I was surprised how poor the atmosphere was though. However, it was a friendly against Man City so maybe that didn't help.

Tickets shouldn't be a problem especially if it's not big opposition. Stadium holds 99k and I think they average 83k

I’ve been 3 times and the atmosphere is always poor except for behind the goal to the left as you look on tv.We we’re lucky to sit in the rows behind them for one game,and it was the noisiest of my 3 visits.A bit strange though that you get odd numbered seats,even though they’re next to each other.
Watching a game in Europe on 20:28 - Jan 17 with 3800 viewsdavman

Thanks, chaps. Before I posted last night, I was worried as the ticketing process was not clear on many of the teams websites and they don't release tickets that far in advance. Wanted to try Union, but understand that is unlikely - great tip on Hertha though Mel about it not filling - I fancied Berlin from the start as I love Germany and we have not visited.

I'll start some planning now.

Can we go out yet?

Watching a game in Europe on 20:48 - Jan 17 with 3765 viewsNorthernr

Watching a game in Europe on 20:28 - Jan 17 by davman

Thanks, chaps. Before I posted last night, I was worried as the ticketing process was not clear on many of the teams websites and they don't release tickets that far in advance. Wanted to try Union, but understand that is unlikely - great tip on Hertha though Mel about it not filling - I fancied Berlin from the start as I love Germany and we have not visited.

I'll start some planning now.

Drop Sam a line on Twitter mate, he's a good kid and has a knack for sniffing out ridiculous match ticket prices, he did that whole Inter v Parma and PSG v Angers trip last week for 150 euros. He's in the crown most saturdays.
Watching a game in Europe on 21:48 - Jan 17 with 3681 viewsdavman

Watching a game in Europe on 20:48 - Jan 17 by Northernr

Drop Sam a line on Twitter mate, he's a good kid and has a knack for sniffing out ridiculous match ticket prices, he did that whole Inter v Parma and PSG v Angers trip last week for 150 euros. He's in the crown most saturdays.

Done that already thanks, Clive and yes he was spot on with his response and his help. A good lad...

Can we go out yet?

Watching a game in Europe on 23:05 - Jan 17 with 3598 viewsSydneyRs

Watching a game in Europe on 18:15 - Jan 17 by stowmarketrange

I’ve been 3 times and the atmosphere is always poor except for behind the goal to the left as you look on tv.We we’re lucky to sit in the rows behind them for one game,and it was the noisiest of my 3 visits.A bit strange though that you get odd numbered seats,even though they’re next to each other.

I think this is true of a lot of big clubs that are used to winning home games nearly all the time. I've been at Celtic with 60k there and its almost silent for long periods apart from when they score. Experienced much the same at the myth that is Anfield in the past. The current trend for ultras style chanting will have changed that a bit, at least in parts of those stadiums.
Watching a game in Europe on 00:12 - Jan 18 with 3569 viewsNewBee

Watching a game in Europe on 17:56 - Jan 17 by switchingcode

Madrid is a good shout as it’s a great city to visit with the options of Real Madrid Athletico Getafe and Rayo Vallecano grounds to visit all easy to access from the city centre.Have done them all and there is sometimes a possibility to see 3 of these over a long weekend.Rayo Vallecano is a very interesting ground to visit a real working class left wing area of the city with great fans.

Agree with this - though wouldn't necessarily confine myself to Madrid.

Anyhow, unless it's a big derby match, in my experience there is generally no problem picking up tickets online out there a couple of days before the game, or even at the stadium on the day. eg Valencia or Barca.

While the best I've seen was when I happened to be in Madrid when Spurs were playing there in the Champions League. I took a chance and went to the Bernabeu early on the morning of the game and eventually found one small booth by the turnstiles which sold me a ticket, Cant remember how much it cost, but not nearly so expensive as the return leg will have been.

Anyhow, although the stadium was nearly full by k.o., when I took my seat in the home supporters end, I realised there were quite a few Spurs in there.

Seems they'd all taken out a Real Madrid Membership when the draw was made and were able to buy tonline when they went on sale, with (I think) the tickets being sent to their UK address!
(I now realise that was 2011, mind, maybe things are tighter now, especially with capacity being restricted to 70k during rebuilding?
https://www.11v11.com/matches/real-madrid-v-tottenham-hotspur-05-april-2011-2943 )

Another possibility is Cadiz - not actually been to a match there, but they have a cool looking stadium (30k?) in the cnetre of town and they're now back in La Liga this season, though fighting to avoid relegation.

Anyhow, Cadiz is probably my favourite Spanish city - big enough to have what you need, but not enormous; attracts some tourists, but not overrun; coming down with history in the Old Town, but an excellent, modern Spanish resort and beach in the New Town if you prefer.

Get a cheap flight to eg Seville or Jerez and take the excellent fast train service from there.
Watching a game in Europe on 12:24 - Jan 18 with 3333 viewsOregonQPR

I am in Porto at the moment and went to the game this past Sunday against Famalicao. Not a big game but still 33k in a really nice stadium and a very good atmosphere on a wet and windy Sunday night (8:30pm kickoff). €24 for a ticket near the half way line a few rows above above the visitors bench. The city and the people are great with fantastic eateries and architecture all over the city.

Next Monday going to see Boavista play Chaves and not expecting a big crowd as they have only had 10k for three games this year and average 7,800 compared to 44,368 for Porto.

Going to Lisbon next week and will take in the Sporting vs Braga game. What I also like though I can barely understand them is that there are 3-4 daily sports papers, last weekend was the Lisboa Derbi and the after game coverage was superb.

While there are better footballing sojourns to be had in Europe Portugal is definitely worth a visit especially if the big three are in opposition or a European game is happening. Wish I was going to be here for Porto vs Inter next month but sadly I will be back in Oregon.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024