Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
£32,000 per year 06:39 - Jan 20 with 16173 viewsraynor94

Should you be using a food bank?

It's come up this week a nurse has said that's what she earns and can't survive without a food bank.

A Tory mp has said on the airwaves that there is something wrong with her budgetin skills, in this instance i haveto agree with him.

And how does she get a voucher earning that type of money, thoughts?

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

£32,000 per year on 22:12 - Jan 22 with 983 viewsGwyn737

£32,000 per year on 21:26 - Jan 22 by Flashberryjack

Most people are governed by the things you mention, it's called living within your means.

So by that reckoning a single mum with 2 school age kids living in London can’t be a nurse?

She probably be better off on benefits. Then tories can beat her with a stick.
£32,000 per year on 22:16 - Jan 22 with 981 viewsBoundy

£32,000 per year on 19:46 - Jan 22 by majorraglan

I’d say the £350 a month gas an electric is on the high side, unless the property is extremely energy inefficient. That’s said, I’d have added a few other things like broadband/internet as I see that as an essential these days, telephone, house/contents insurance should also be up there.

In terms of car, that seems a bit high, but if you’ve got a fair commute (in somewhere like Powys you could well have) and you’re budgeting for tyres, service, car tax, maybe a loan for the car it’s probably not far off.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2023 19:53]

Me and the wife live in 3 bed semi. double glazed , cavity wall insulation , attic fully insulated , fairly new combi boiler which is regularly serviced heating is only on if required and not as a habit and yet our gas standing charge is £130 and due to double in March ,we're ok atm but I can't help feeling how others are going to survive . I was going to retire this year but now it maybe the case of carrying on to try and ride out the forthcoming ****storm .

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

£32,000 per year on 22:59 - Jan 22 with 951 viewsSirjohnalot

£32,000 per year on 22:05 - Jan 22 by Flashberryjack

I don't need the government to tell me food banks are being abused by many, I've seen it for myself, believe me.

Anyway, it's a lovely stick to beat the Tories with.

There always will be but for some it’s a life line, for them I’m
Willing to have those others take advantage
£32,000 per year on 23:06 - Jan 22 with 938 viewsBryanSwan

£32,000 per year on 22:59 - Jan 22 by Sirjohnalot

There always will be but for some it’s a life line, for them I’m
Willing to have those others take advantage

Christ i didnt realise foodbanks were so easy to go to, will just tip up there and do my shop for free next week.

It's all a load of nonsense spread around by the Tory chums media, most foodbanks run on a referral scheme, its incredibly hard to abuse the system.

Some would rather punch down than address any real problems with this country, i suppose it makes them feel better knowing there are people worse off than themselves.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

£32,000 per year on 06:08 - Jan 23 with 892 viewsraynor94

£32,000 per year on 20:24 - Jan 22 by builthjack

It’s adds up to £250 a month .. energy.
You dont Think it costs £10 a day to run a car?

Family allowance, might just about pay for the school dinners, if the kids take sarnies on a Friday.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2023 20:28]

OK I'm retired, but my energy bill is half that a month, and I don't commute anymore, obviously if you have to travel a long distance for work, I can understand.

But £70 a week is a lot

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

£32,000 per year on 08:54 - Jan 23 with 845 viewsBadgeman

£32,000 per year on 21:51 - Jan 22 by Sirjohnalot

This is what the Gvnt want. Decent people like you blaming those using food banks as opposed to them causing the circumstances that they have to use them.

It’s not just what the government wants, It’s what he wants as well because it’s the only way you can reinforce a spiteful and shallow ideology.

Facts and empathy don’t fit into modern conservatism so you have to replace that with callousness and blame.

The most formidable weapon against errors of every kind is reason.
Poll: Is Huw's position untenable?

£32,000 per year on 12:35 - Jan 23 with 793 viewskrunchykarrot

Just heard that over 50% of homes take more from the goverment than they put in. Whilst the top10% of earners pay 53% of all tax. We are heading for trouble big time no matter which way you look at it.
£32,000 per year on 12:36 - Jan 23 with 789 viewsSirjohnalot

£32,000 per year on 12:35 - Jan 23 by krunchykarrot

Just heard that over 50% of homes take more from the goverment than they put in. Whilst the top10% of earners pay 53% of all tax. We are heading for trouble big time no matter which way you look at it.

Where did you hear that ?
Login to get fewer ads

£32,000 per year on 12:49 - Jan 23 with 779 viewsmajorraglan

£32,000 per year on 12:36 - Jan 23 by Sirjohnalot

There’s an article in todays Daily Mail which draws on research undertaken by Civitas who are one of the 55 Turton Street organisations. The figures included thinks like education, NHS services etc and isn’t just confined to fiscal issues. Organisations based at 55 Turton Street are viewed with suspicion by many.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html
£32,000 per year on 13:05 - Jan 23 with 775 viewsGwyn737

£32,000 per year on 12:49 - Jan 23 by majorraglan

There’s an article in todays Daily Mail which draws on research undertaken by Civitas who are one of the 55 Turton Street organisations. The figures included thinks like education, NHS services etc and isn’t just confined to fiscal issues. Organisations based at 55 Turton Street are viewed with suspicion by many.

They've included pensioners to inflate that figure but tried to not show their working to prove a point.
£32,000 per year on 14:06 - Jan 23 with 763 viewsBryanSwan

£32,000 per year on 12:49 - Jan 23 by majorraglan

It is unbelievable the amount of disinformation these right wing "think tanks" and "organisations" disseminate.
Maybe they should start producing research on the amount of tax avoidance and evasion done by the top 10% of earners, that would be quite relevant.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

£32,000 per year on 14:27 - Jan 23 with 731 viewsThurrockJack92

In most cases if you have decent money management skills, you should not have to use foodbanks. However, there are certainly scenarios where that is just not enough to live on. Such as living in a high cost area like the south east and suddenly becoming the sole breadwinner for whatever reason, resulting in you having to pay for childcare if you need to work. We don't really know enough about this person's life to make a judgement on whether they should or shouldn't need to use foodbanks.

As a side note, it is utterly infuriating how some of the older generation simply refuse to acknowledge how much more difficult the housing market is for the generations after them, even when shown undeniable mathematic proof that it is multiple times more difficult, even with interest rates factored in.

When shown this they simply bury their heads in the sand and cry about how difficult it was for them, they simply do not have the imagination to put themselves in their own shoes if they had been born 20 years down the line. If they did, they would realise the situation where they struggled is not even an option now.
£32,000 per year on 15:07 - Jan 23 with 704 viewscontroversial_jack

£32,000 per year on 14:27 - Jan 23 by ThurrockJack92

In most cases if you have decent money management skills, you should not have to use foodbanks. However, there are certainly scenarios where that is just not enough to live on. Such as living in a high cost area like the south east and suddenly becoming the sole breadwinner for whatever reason, resulting in you having to pay for childcare if you need to work. We don't really know enough about this person's life to make a judgement on whether they should or shouldn't need to use foodbanks.

As a side note, it is utterly infuriating how some of the older generation simply refuse to acknowledge how much more difficult the housing market is for the generations after them, even when shown undeniable mathematic proof that it is multiple times more difficult, even with interest rates factored in.

When shown this they simply bury their heads in the sand and cry about how difficult it was for them, they simply do not have the imagination to put themselves in their own shoes if they had been born 20 years down the line. If they did, they would realise the situation where they struggled is not even an option now.

Us boomers, had it easy in comparison.Many don't seem to realise that times have changed
£32,000 per year on 17:26 - Jan 23 with 664 viewswaynekerr55

£32,000 per year on 22:05 - Jan 22 by Flashberryjack

I don't need the government to tell me food banks are being abused by many, I've seen it for myself, believe me.

Anyway, it's a lovely stick to beat the Tories with.

I think the Tories are doing most of the beating to themselves. Whatever people think of Thatcher at least she had substance, respected parliament and won on the basis or policy.

This lot are robbing us blind and trying to pass laws to stop people challenging their rotten approach to things.

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

£32,000 per year on 17:30 - Jan 23 with 664 viewsBoundy

£32,000 per year on 14:27 - Jan 23 by ThurrockJack92

A lot of your post made sense and I agreed with and I'm glad you said "some" in your second paragraph . I'm a so called baby boomer but I've known times as I know is true of many of my friends, neighbours and in some cases work collegues who struggled financially for years , so I wont bore you with the oft stated "in my day" . Everything is relative wages. cost of living then and now both in good and bad times of which I've experienced both adn some in the middle. The older I've got the more grateful I am of what I have . I remember a a time of no tax credits. minimum wages , watching 20 year olds driving around in brand new BMWs , buying a house as a single person if it was a right of passage , frequent foreign holidays .£500 mobile phones etc ., imo poverty is relative to the times you were born in .

£32,000 per year on 18:29 - Jan 23 with 629 viewscontroversial_jack

£32,000 per year on 17:30 - Jan 23 by Boundy

A lot of your post made sense and I agreed with and I'm glad you said "some" in your second paragraph . I'm a so called baby boomer but I've known times as I know is true of many of my friends, neighbours and in some cases work collegues who struggled financially for years , so I wont bore you with the oft stated "in my day" . Everything is relative wages. cost of living then and now both in good and bad times of which I've experienced both adn some in the middle. The older I've got the more grateful I am of what I have . I remember a a time of no tax credits. minimum wages , watching 20 year olds driving around in brand new BMWs , buying a house as a single person if it was a right of passage , frequent foreign holidays .£500 mobile phones etc ., imo poverty is relative to the times you were born in .

Times were different then, and often a struggle, but we could do it. The opportunities to own a home etc, is no longer there for many
£32,000 per year on 18:58 - Jan 23 with 613 viewslifelong

I can’t help it so here goes, I was born in 1947, we had no telephone, television, central heating, fridge, freezer, washing machine, tumble drier, , car. An outside toilet that froze up every hard winter, a tin bath that you’d fill up with boiling water from a huge pan on an open coal fire.
I can remember my father telling us, “You kids these days don’t know you’re born”
£32,000 per year on 19:04 - Jan 23 with 612 viewsTreforys_Jack

Agree, the issue today is, hardly anyone waits and saves up. It's all instant, I had a £200 Vauxhall Viva, and slowly worked my way up. The system makes it very easy to commit large percentages of your wages on car loans, phone contracts, Netflix, music streaming etc etc.
Buying a house has always been tough and as you say probably more difficult these days, but can be done with the right mindset and work ethics.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2023 17:29]
£32,000 per year on 19:24 - Jan 23 with 594 viewskrunchykarrot

£32,000 per year on 12:36 - Jan 23 by Sirjohnalot

It was on the box then flashed up on news feed thingy on edge. Civitas is correct when i checked the CEO is D G Green an ex Labour councillor.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2023 19:29]
£32,000 per year on 20:01 - Jan 23 with 582 viewsThurrockJack92

£32,000 per year on 19:04 - Jan 23 by Treforys_Jack

Agree, the issue today is, hardly anyone waits and saves up. It's all instant, I had a £200 Vauxhall Viva, and slowly worked my way up. The system makes it very easy to commit large percentages of your wages on car loans, phone contracts, Netflix, music streaming etc etc.
Buying a house has always been tough and as you say probably more difficult these days, but can be done with the right mindset and work ethics.

I get that the optics aren't great with youngest having flash gear while complaining about not being able to afford to buy a house, but if people look a little deeper at the situation then than may understand why people choose to.

As has been posted earlier in the thread, the average house price was 3 times the average salary, it is now roughly 9 times the the average salary. But it does not end there, banks will generally only lend 4/5 times the annual salary, meaning people who would have been offered a mortgage had they lived a couple of decades + ago simply do not have the option available to them.

Given that it is almost impossible for people in this situation to be granted a mortgage, I understand why they would spend it rather than put towards a deposit / paying down a mortgage. The only reason I do not do it myself is because I like having a financial cushion and hold out a delusional hope that I will be able to get a mortgage.
£32,000 per year on 20:11 - Jan 23 with 572 viewsonehunglow

£32,000 per year on 18:58 - Jan 23 by lifelong

I can’t help it so here goes, I was born in 1947, we had no telephone, television, central heating, fridge, freezer, washing machine, tumble drier, , car. An outside toilet that froze up every hard winter, a tin bath that you’d fill up with boiling water from a huge pan on an open coal fire.
I can remember my father telling us, “You kids these days don’t know you’re born”

Rog.
My Nan lived in Fleet St and never owned their house .
The only hot water came along via apparatus on the wall.
And yeah a tin bath hung up outside in the yard
Had a piano though as it was the entertainment
It was a treat

Different times

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

£32,000 per year on 20:17 - Jan 23 with 573 viewsmajorraglan

£32,000 per year on 19:24 - Jan 23 by krunchykarrot

It was on the box then flashed up on news feed thingy on edge. Civitas is correct when i checked the CEO is D G Green an ex Labour councillor.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2023 19:29]

Indeed he was, but that was back in the mid 70’s when he’d have been in his mid to late 20’s over 45 years ago. Liz Truss was a liberal back in the day. These days Green contributes to the Times, Telegraph and Mail.

Civitas is a highly opaque organisation, funding details are sketchy but one of the backers is well known Conservative. Civitas is a widely acknowledge as right of centre/ right wing think tank.
£32,000 per year on 21:16 - Jan 23 with 548 viewspencoedjack

£32,000 per year on 19:04 - Jan 23 by Treforys_Jack

Both my kids done it 1 had just turned 30 the other is 28.

No college degrees I put it down to hard work.
£32,000 per year on 21:48 - Jan 23 with 526 viewsGwyn737

£32,000 per year on 21:16 - Jan 23 by pencoedjack

Both my kids done it 1 had just turned 30 the other is 28.

No college degrees I put it down to hard work.

That’s fantastic and they’re to be applauded.

Doesn’t take away from the fact that average houses are now 9 times the average wage.

It’s much harder for kids to get on the ladder.
£32,000 per year on 21:55 - Jan 23 with 520 viewsBoundy

£32,000 per year on 18:58 - Jan 23 by lifelong

Now you've started .
Born in 1957 , no phone , when the kids were ill it was walk down to the phone box to call a doctor ( imagine that ) no TV until the late 60;s no car until around the same time , we were 5 kids in living 3 bedroom ( (oose terms indeed ) bungalow , hand wash clothes then use the mangle to get the surplus water out then the twin tub arrived . In the winter net curtains which stuck to the single glazed steel framed windows , a single coal fire and and an electric immersion & paraffin heater ( if you were posh) Just one income and the family allowance .Taping up doors to stop the drafts along with the weirdly looking phallic draft excluder wedged under the door .
Syphoning petrol out of scrap cars and buying remould tyres and altering details on the tax disc. Having Provident loans so the kids would have decent christmas . Alpine pop and hobbling all hours for pennies . Dodging the rent man , rabbiting in Birchgrove to supplement the diet and grow our own to eat not to display at the Gower Show . Neath Fair the place to go for a must have pressure cooker and porthcawl sunday market for dodgy Babour jackets & shell suits for the kids .Holidays you're having a laugh .
Wouldn't have had it any other way but now you can see why I appreciate what I have now .

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024