Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? 13:40 - Jan 25 with 38045 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/news/59431/ethan-brierley-sheffi

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 16:51 - Feb 1 with 4261 viewsnordenblue

Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 16:36 - Feb 1 by leedsdale

Agreed. I was just contesting nordenblue’s statement that the deal had gone through on the basis of the photo having been taken.

Wow didn't know a simple post could be so dissected.

If I was a betting man I know where my money would be going regarding a deal had/hadn't gone through
Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 17:43 - Feb 1 with 3988 viewsJames1980

Were Sheff U under a transfer embargo when Brierley joined them on trial?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 17:52 - Feb 1 with 3960 viewsnordenblue

Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 17:43 - Feb 1 by James1980

Were Sheff U under a transfer embargo when Brierley joined them on trial?

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-united/sander-berge-future-re
Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 18:12 - Feb 1 with 3825 viewsJames1980

I stopped being lazy and looked it up. Transfer embargo started 17th January.

Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 10:42 - Feb 2 with 3109 viewsleedsdale

According to the Lancashire Telegraph link on p3 of this thread, a decision is expected tomorrow on the Brierley (and O’Brien) transfer
Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 11:35 - Feb 2 with 2921 viewsfourfourtwo

I know its uncommon for a club to comment on a transfer that hasn't happened. However this is so public it just looks silly not to? The club should just put a very vague update of the situation up to provide clarity to fans.

"We accepted a big for Ethan Brierley from Blackburn Rovers, however due to the lateness of the request the transfer is currently being reviewed by The EFL. An update will provided when appropriate."

Its not hard is it?
Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 12:12 - Feb 2 with 2783 viewsAtThePeake

Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 11:35 - Feb 2 by fourfourtwo

I know its uncommon for a club to comment on a transfer that hasn't happened. However this is so public it just looks silly not to? The club should just put a very vague update of the situation up to provide clarity to fans.

"We accepted a big for Ethan Brierley from Blackburn Rovers, however due to the lateness of the request the transfer is currently being reviewed by The EFL. An update will provided when appropriate."

Its not hard is it?

Perhaps the EFL have requested that the clubs don't release any information like that so as to prevent similar requests from other clubs in the future?

Tangled up in blue.

Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 12:49 - Feb 2 with 2612 viewsHopwoodblue

Reporting on Sky regarding O’Brien loan being submitted late and that Blackburn have submitted more paperwork regarding the delay but nothing about Brierley
[Post edited 2 Feb 2023 12:50]

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Login to get fewer ads

Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 12:49 - Feb 2 with 2608 viewsJames1980

Are there any precedents regarding transfers being approved in similar scenarios?

Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 12:52 - Feb 2 with 2572 viewsfourfourtwo

Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 12:12 - Feb 2 by AtThePeake

Perhaps the EFL have requested that the clubs don't release any information like that so as to prevent similar requests from other clubs in the future?

What difference does it make when it's already in the press?

I'm sure there is a transparent (as possible) a statement that could still be released that would be in keeping with the EFL's requests, if that was so the issue.
Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 12:57 - Feb 2 with 2534 viewsD_Alien

Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 12:52 - Feb 2 by fourfourtwo

What difference does it make when it's already in the press?

I'm sure there is a transparent (as possible) a statement that could still be released that would be in keeping with the EFL's requests, if that was so the issue.

But by the same token, why should the club add to what's already in the press - if there's nothing further to add?

If the deal doesn't go through, it'll be a huge blow to Ethan and a blow to the club financially. Maybe the club just doesn't want to add to that impact should it come about

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 13:00 - Feb 2 with 2509 viewsforeverhopefulDale

If the transfer is not going ahead, then we need to be able to use him in our squad , if the management so wish in our match against Salford.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 13:17 - Feb 2 with 2416 viewsfourfourtwo

Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 12:57 - Feb 2 by D_Alien

But by the same token, why should the club add to what's already in the press - if there's nothing further to add?

If the deal doesn't go through, it'll be a huge blow to Ethan and a blow to the club financially. Maybe the club just doesn't want to add to that impact should it come about

Because what's written in the press may not be right?

We're a fan owned club that preach about transparency, yet whenever we have the opportunity to do so we choose not to.

There is absolutely no harm in the club putting a brief statement out that explains as much as they possibly can.

It would also then pacify some of the moaning/confusion/uncertainty currently on social media.
Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 13:34 - Feb 2 with 2329 viewsfitzochris

Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 13:17 - Feb 2 by fourfourtwo

Because what's written in the press may not be right?

We're a fan owned club that preach about transparency, yet whenever we have the opportunity to do so we choose not to.

There is absolutely no harm in the club putting a brief statement out that explains as much as they possibly can.

It would also then pacify some of the moaning/confusion/uncertainty currently on social media.

I actually agree with your main point. Very rarely in PR is the best advice to say nothing. Saying nothing creates a void that can be filled by others and a narrative is created that is hard to unpick later. That narrative can then damage your brand.

The issue here is the unhappiness of supporters in finding out about Brierley being on trial at Sheff U and then allegedly signing for Blackburn via other sources.

It’s the media’s job to break and cover these things, so no complaint from me there, but this coverage has created ambiguity and that ambiguity has created the void I refer to, which is currently being filled with all kinds of conjecture.

Would it be so bad, for the sake of transparency, for the club to issue the briefest of statements clarifying the situation?

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 13:55 - Feb 2 with 2246 viewsD_Alien

Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 13:34 - Feb 2 by fitzochris

I actually agree with your main point. Very rarely in PR is the best advice to say nothing. Saying nothing creates a void that can be filled by others and a narrative is created that is hard to unpick later. That narrative can then damage your brand.

The issue here is the unhappiness of supporters in finding out about Brierley being on trial at Sheff U and then allegedly signing for Blackburn via other sources.

It’s the media’s job to break and cover these things, so no complaint from me there, but this coverage has created ambiguity and that ambiguity has created the void I refer to, which is currently being filled with all kinds of conjecture.

Would it be so bad, for the sake of transparency, for the club to issue the briefest of statements clarifying the situation?

I'm not disagreeing, but do we know what input Ethan (and his family) have had?

A statement by the club saying something to the effect of "A spokesperson for Ethan Brierley has requested we don't comment until the matter is resolved" would perhaps clarify that too, unless the club has been requested to refrain from any comment for the time being. It's just a possibility - the club may not necessarily be remiss here

Although, they might be, of course
[Post edited 2 Feb 2023 13:57]

Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 14:34 - Feb 2 with 2131 viewsJames1980

Questions in my mind about this situation
When did Ethan go to Sheff U for the trial?
If it was after 17th January were the board aware of the transfer embargo?
If yes why did we send a prize asset there?
If no why was this missed?
If it he went before 17th January.
Once the embargo was imposed on SU did we consider recalling Ethan & why didn't we?
Did negotiations with Blackburn only start once it was definite SU wouldn't be able to fulfil their end of the deal or was it another potential deal that was already being worked on?

Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 14:41 - Feb 2 with 2099 viewssurb_dale

If the EFL deem the paperwork was submitted late and therefore wont allow the transfer to go through does this mean the deal is off or does it mean the transfer will now complete at start of next window at end of season?

And if the deal is off i wonder if the club spent money on the lad from Altrincham on the basis that we'd be getting funds from the Brierley transfer and now we have to find cash from elsewhere to fund that deal.

Always amazes me why so many deals go right to the wire when there's been the whole month to sort things out.
Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 15:13 - Feb 2 with 1934 viewsHullDale

Looks like the EFL have blocked the O'Brien deal to Blackburn.

Guess its a case of waiting and seeing now whether they were late for Brierley too, or if they completed that in time but didn't want to announce one without the other.
Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 15:16 - Feb 2 with 1918 viewsD_Alien

Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 14:41 - Feb 2 by surb_dale

If the EFL deem the paperwork was submitted late and therefore wont allow the transfer to go through does this mean the deal is off or does it mean the transfer will now complete at start of next window at end of season?

And if the deal is off i wonder if the club spent money on the lad from Altrincham on the basis that we'd be getting funds from the Brierley transfer and now we have to find cash from elsewhere to fund that deal.

Always amazes me why so many deals go right to the wire when there's been the whole month to sort things out.

As a negotiating tactic, leaving it late would be compounded in Ethan's case by:

The late nature due to complications with Sheffield Utd

The fact that Blackburn played extra time on the same night in an away FA Cup replay, the game not finishing till well after 10pm
[Post edited 2 Feb 2023 15:24]

Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 15:29 - Feb 2 with 1839 viewsDaleiLama

Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 15:16 - Feb 2 by D_Alien

As a negotiating tactic, leaving it late would be compounded in Ethan's case by:

The late nature due to complications with Sheffield Utd

The fact that Blackburn played extra time on the same night in an away FA Cup replay, the game not finishing till well after 10pm
[Post edited 2 Feb 2023 15:24]

Not to mention agents, brinkmanship, optimistic human nature (thinking a better deal is just around the corner) and one party saying one thing, then doing another.

A lot of moving parts all needing to come together for a win-win deal. Anything less and heels can and will be dragged.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 15:38 - Feb 2 with 1761 viewsD_Alien

Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 15:29 - Feb 2 by DaleiLama

Not to mention agents, brinkmanship, optimistic human nature (thinking a better deal is just around the corner) and one party saying one thing, then doing another.

A lot of moving parts all needing to come together for a win-win deal. Anything less and heels can and will be dragged.

Isn't that a sending off offence?

Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 15:51 - Feb 2 with 1690 viewsHullDale

Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 15:56 - Feb 2 with 1645 viewsnordenblue

Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 14:34 - Feb 2 by James1980

Questions in my mind about this situation
When did Ethan go to Sheff U for the trial?
If it was after 17th January were the board aware of the transfer embargo?
If yes why did we send a prize asset there?
If no why was this missed?
If it he went before 17th January.
Once the embargo was imposed on SU did we consider recalling Ethan & why didn't we?
Did negotiations with Blackburn only start once it was definite SU wouldn't be able to fulfil their end of the deal or was it another potential deal that was already being worked on?

In a rapidly ever changing landscape you probably won't know the answers to some of these questions, I'm pretty sure there's sensitive details too that either club won't be allowed to publish to everyone.

Whilst we all know the clubs finances and league position I'm guessing many decisions made are out of necessity.
Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 16:07 - Feb 2 with 1586 viewsfitzochris

Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 15:51 - Feb 2 by HullDale

If correct, I feel really sorry for Ethan as none of this is his fault.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Ethan Brierley Sheffield Bound? on 16:34 - Feb 2 with 1431 viewsKingstdale

With it being both deals being knocked back,,I'd be inclined to think that the problem has been at Blackburn's end. Their CEO and Director of Football are getting a right slating on Twitter.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2023 16:38]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024