Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lineker dropped from MOTD 16:54 - Mar 10 with 38058 viewsBushman

David Attenborough show kicked sideways to iPlayer

What times we live in

I know almost nothing about the Premier League even though I try to catch the big games every now and then at the end of the season. But I will say this, Queens Park Rangers is just a fukking sick ass team name. Just sounds so cool.

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 18:30 - Mar 13 with 2583 viewsClive_Anderson

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 18:17 - Mar 13 by Konk

Some would argue that only people “completely hysterical” about illegal immigration would use the word “invasion” to describe a situation where a total of 45,000 asylum seekers and economic migrants arrived illegally in the UK by small boats in 2022. Not saying it’s not an issue that needs to be addressed for a number of reasons, but 45,000 people entering a country of 65,000,000+ armed with the clothes on their backs, because they’re hoping for a safer/more prosperous life for themselves and their families isn’t exactly Blitzkrieg, D-Day, or Russia pummelling the fuc k out of Ukraine is it? Unless, of course, you’re “completely hysterical” about illegal immigration.

Fck me you must have gone completely spare when John Motson described the pitch invasion of a few hundred supporters when Ronnie Radford scored that goal against Newcastle.

Or do you genuinely believe he was demonising Hereford supporters and if he had his way they'd have been locked up in camps within a couple of years.

No doubt some of you will actually claim he was to try and pretend that it isn't a completely normal use of the English language

Come on at least one of you must admit this is complete bllshit.

I did enjoy Konk randomly adding D-Day and the war in Ukraine to lend some gravitas to his post though.
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 18:41 - Mar 13 with 2556 viewsKonk

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 18:30 - Mar 13 by Clive_Anderson

Fck me you must have gone completely spare when John Motson described the pitch invasion of a few hundred supporters when Ronnie Radford scored that goal against Newcastle.

Or do you genuinely believe he was demonising Hereford supporters and if he had his way they'd have been locked up in camps within a couple of years.

No doubt some of you will actually claim he was to try and pretend that it isn't a completely normal use of the English language

Come on at least one of you must admit this is complete bllshit.

I did enjoy Konk randomly adding D-Day and the war in Ukraine to lend some gravitas to his post though.

Yes, Clive, because Motson describing a euphoric pitch invasion with a load of giddy school kids celebrating an FA cup giant-killing, definitely has the same vibe as when this government talk of ‘invasion’ by illegal immigrants and stand in front of “STOP THE BOATS” podiums whilst trying not to be outflanked by Nigel Farage and his Dad’s Army binoculars home guard schtick.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 19:00 - Mar 13 with 2436 viewsClive_Anderson

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 18:41 - Mar 13 by Konk

Yes, Clive, because Motson describing a euphoric pitch invasion with a load of giddy school kids celebrating an FA cup giant-killing, definitely has the same vibe as when this government talk of ‘invasion’ by illegal immigrants and stand in front of “STOP THE BOATS” podiums whilst trying not to be outflanked by Nigel Farage and his Dad’s Army binoculars home guard schtick.

Lolz Konk in your hysteria you are inadvertently agreeing with me that there is nothing sinister whatsoever with using the word "invasion" if it can also be used to describe celebrating school kids.

Now you're instead complaining about the "vibe" when they used the word and not the word itself. Surely even you can see this is getting pathetic now?
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 19:15 - Mar 13 with 2421 viewsKonk

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 19:00 - Mar 13 by Clive_Anderson

Lolz Konk in your hysteria you are inadvertently agreeing with me that there is nothing sinister whatsoever with using the word "invasion" if it can also be used to describe celebrating school kids.

Now you're instead complaining about the "vibe" when they used the word and not the word itself. Surely even you can see this is getting pathetic now?

This is my last post on the subject because engaging with you is a fool’s errand, and surely even you can see that the context is relevant?

If you use the word “invasion” to describe giddy teenagers running on the pitch during an FA cup giant-killing tie it’s clearly not meant in the same negative, emotive way as when talking about “waves of illegal immigrants” “invading our shores” is it? Or is Suella Braverman trying to invoke the sense of youthful exuberance witnessed at Edgar Street? Immigration - legal and illegal (as we saw with unrestricted movement within the EU) - makes a section of this country’s population very angry. I’d have hoped politicians would therefore avoid using emotive hyperbole when discussing the issue.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 19:41 - Mar 13 with 2329 viewsClive_Anderson

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 19:15 - Mar 13 by Konk

This is my last post on the subject because engaging with you is a fool’s errand, and surely even you can see that the context is relevant?

If you use the word “invasion” to describe giddy teenagers running on the pitch during an FA cup giant-killing tie it’s clearly not meant in the same negative, emotive way as when talking about “waves of illegal immigrants” “invading our shores” is it? Or is Suella Braverman trying to invoke the sense of youthful exuberance witnessed at Edgar Street? Immigration - legal and illegal (as we saw with unrestricted movement within the EU) - makes a section of this country’s population very angry. I’d have hoped politicians would therefore avoid using emotive hyperbole when discussing the issue.

Well you seem to be saying calling something a pitch invasion of young kids is fine as it's nothing like a real invasion. Thousands of young blokes arriving illegally on boats....a bit too close to real invasion to be allowed to be compared. Best call it something else.

You're also getting agitated by the word "waves" as well as the slogan "stop the boats" when announcing a policy to stop the boats, so it sounds like the real issue is any attempt to stop the illegal crossings rather than some "emotive language" or any of those excuses.
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 20:33 - Mar 13 with 2303 viewsstowmarketrange

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 18:11 - Mar 13 by daveB

you can make the same argument for every footballer, manager, coach, pundit, presenter and reporter who went. Not as though he was the only one, I don't think anyone actually boycotted the thing although may be wrong

But he is the one spouting off from his high horse when it suits him,but he didn’t exactly stand up for the migrant workers killed building the stadia for the World Cup that he personally profited from by staying away.
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 20:33 - Mar 13 with 2286 viewsRanger_Things

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 01:05 - Mar 14 with 2090 viewsSydneyRs

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 15:42 - Mar 13 by Clive_Anderson

Sure his tweet was completely accurate. Who could have forgotten when Hitler loaded immigrants onto trains, to take them away to 5 star hotels costing the country £6.8m a day. If anything they should be tried for war crimes. Christ.

What he said was the language being used by the Govt was similar to that in 1930s Germany. Which it is. He did not use the word Nazi or call anyone that.

The Nazis were around for many years before the horrors of the holocaust and they reached a position of absolute power by sowing division, hate, fear and mistrust of a certain section of the community. From there they were able to move onto what they later did with little or no dissent.

The UK government is in crisis and heading towards a heavy defeat at the next election. Deservedly so as they are the most incompetent government in my lifetime by a very long way. The calibre of people they have had in top jobs (Johnson, Braverman, Patel, Rees-Mogg, Truss, Hancock, Dorries etc) is nothing short than a complete embarrassment to what was a great country.

They know they're in big trouble. Brexit has proved to be the abject failure many of us knew it would be, so they can no longer rely on the jingoism around that to carry them through in spite of their shortcomings. Johnson was so openly dishonest and dodgy as PM it might as well have been some sort of satirical comedy show along the lines of Alan B'stard in the New Statesman. Even many of the most blind followers of the last few years are seeing through them now.

They've banked everything on flags, proclaimed love of Britain (while deliberately making the country poorer for their own personal gain) and a sense of patriotism. This worked in getting brexit over the line but the reality of that huge con is sinking in now.

So what do they have left? Their economic record is terrible, brexit is a failure that has delivered no positives. They screwed up the handling of the pandemic (particularly early on when the PM was skipping meetings and inertia dominated) allowing far too many deaths to occur before the arrival of vaccines finally helped get on top of it. Power prices are out of control, interest rates rising fast, inflation rampant. There are thousands of "small boat' arrivals.

All of this has happened under their watch. None of it can be blamed on other parties who have played no part in government for many years. So all they have left is to try and re-stir this jingoism that won them the last election. Only the catalyst for that, brexit, has now happened and isn't working.

So they need something else. And this is what they've chosen. To deliberately try to create division and place themselves as the protectors of sovereignty. Because they have nothing else. No talent in the top echelons of the party, no actual successes to talk about, no innovative policies to make anything better for ordinary people. Just drum up race based hate, using tactics similar to those used in 1930s depression ravaged Germany. Blame someone else, create hate of that group and try to cling on to power that way.

Right of centre politics are not my bag, but I can understand why some people prefer these ideas and there is definitely some merit to those arguments. However, what we are currently seeing is not right of centre, its extremism which in any form, including the old 'loony left', is no good for anyone.

This extremism currently dominates much of the UK media, who don't care about consequences as long as they get clicks, the resulting revenue and the Govt they want. Therefore voices such as Lineker's are more important than ever.

There's been a lot of noise from both sides following his remarks, but from what I've seen its very much dominated by support for him. This gives me encouragement that the broader UK population are better than this Govt and sh1trags like the Daily Mail, Sun etc.
[Post edited 15 Mar 2023 6:23]
Login to get fewer ads

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 07:27 - Mar 14 with 1954 viewsdistortR

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 01:05 - Mar 14 by SydneyRs

What he said was the language being used by the Govt was similar to that in 1930s Germany. Which it is. He did not use the word Nazi or call anyone that.

The Nazis were around for many years before the horrors of the holocaust and they reached a position of absolute power by sowing division, hate, fear and mistrust of a certain section of the community. From there they were able to move onto what they later did with little or no dissent.

The UK government is in crisis and heading towards a heavy defeat at the next election. Deservedly so as they are the most incompetent government in my lifetime by a very long way. The calibre of people they have had in top jobs (Johnson, Braverman, Patel, Rees-Mogg, Truss, Hancock, Dorries etc) is nothing short than a complete embarrassment to what was a great country.

They know they're in big trouble. Brexit has proved to be the abject failure many of us knew it would be, so they can no longer rely on the jingoism around that to carry them through in spite of their shortcomings. Johnson was so openly dishonest and dodgy as PM it might as well have been some sort of satirical comedy show along the lines of Alan B'stard in the New Statesman. Even many of the most blind followers of the last few years are seeing through them now.

They've banked everything on flags, proclaimed love of Britain (while deliberately making the country poorer for their own personal gain) and a sense of patriotism. This worked in getting brexit over the line but the reality of that huge con is sinking in now.

So what do they have left? Their economic record is terrible, brexit is a failure that has delivered no positives. They screwed up the handling of the pandemic (particularly early on when the PM was skipping meetings and inertia dominated) allowing far too many deaths to occur before the arrival of vaccines finally helped get on top of it. Power prices are out of control, interest rates rising fast, inflation rampant. There are thousands of "small boat' arrivals.

All of this has happened under their watch. None of it can be blamed on other parties who have played no part in government for many years. So all they have left is to try and re-stir this jingoism that won them the last election. Only the catalyst for that, brexit, has now happened and isn't working.

So they need something else. And this is what they've chosen. To deliberately try to create division and place themselves as the protectors of sovereignty. Because they have nothing else. No talent in the top echelons of the party, no actual successes to talk about, no innovative policies to make anything better for ordinary people. Just drum up race based hate, using tactics similar to those used in 1930s depression ravaged Germany. Blame someone else, create hate of that group and try to cling on to power that way.

Right of centre politics are not my bag, but I can understand why some people prefer these ideas and there is definitely some merit to those arguments. However, what we are currently seeing is not right of centre, its extremism which in any form, including the old 'loony left', is no good for anyone.

This extremism currently dominates much of the UK media, who don't care about consequences as long as they get clicks, the resulting revenue and the Govt they want. Therefore voices such as Lineker's are more important than ever.

There's been a lot of noise from both sides following his remarks, but from what I've seen its very much dominated by support for him. This gives me encouragement that the broader UK population are better than this Govt and sh1trags like the Daily Mail, Sun etc.

Your last line - I may support his right to say what he wants, but that doesn't mean I agree with what he says. Yes/no polls show no nuance.

Edit - there are different ways of suppressing speech. One is to directly ban people from saying things, another is to cast aspersions on anyone who has opinions you don't like (Nazi, racist etc). That doesn't in any way change their opinions, it just stops them from expressing them or debating them outside known colleagues. The result will only be resentment and a hardening of opinions. This, I believe, is one reason why 'right' of the centre opinions are understated in polls.
So, I can support Lineker's right to an opinion, I can have empathy with refugee's, but believe people coming over on small boats needs to be stopped for a variety of reasons, including the fact that it is enabling human traffickers and putting the boat people's lives at risk.
What Lineker doesn't do is tell us his solution to this 'problem'. Does he want an open border policy? It's all a bit disingenuous, imho.
[Post edited 14 Mar 2023 8:30]
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 15:07 - Mar 14 with 1714 viewsEsox_Lucius

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 07:27 - Mar 14 by distortR

Your last line - I may support his right to say what he wants, but that doesn't mean I agree with what he says. Yes/no polls show no nuance.

Edit - there are different ways of suppressing speech. One is to directly ban people from saying things, another is to cast aspersions on anyone who has opinions you don't like (Nazi, racist etc). That doesn't in any way change their opinions, it just stops them from expressing them or debating them outside known colleagues. The result will only be resentment and a hardening of opinions. This, I believe, is one reason why 'right' of the centre opinions are understated in polls.
So, I can support Lineker's right to an opinion, I can have empathy with refugee's, but believe people coming over on small boats needs to be stopped for a variety of reasons, including the fact that it is enabling human traffickers and putting the boat people's lives at risk.
What Lineker doesn't do is tell us his solution to this 'problem'. Does he want an open border policy? It's all a bit disingenuous, imho.
[Post edited 14 Mar 2023 8:30]

The solution is analogous to our home 0-6 bum gobbing by Newcastle in 2016. Jonjo Shelvey taking the role of the traffickers and the rest of the team taking the role of refugees with an aim of beating QPR.
QPR went about the task of using our sub par team to stem the flow when the solution was to use Jordan Cousins to cut off Shelvey's involvement in the game. IIRC, all the goals came from this route.
The refugees aren't the real issue, the traffickers are, but no-one seems to want to admit that. It would also be a damn sight cheaper to have a safe, legal system of refugee status application, based in France with their approval, but then the government would have to stop their right wing dog whistling wouldn't they? Turn the hatred towards the refugees in small boats but aid and abet the members of the House of Lords in their small boat to disappear abroad with millions of tax payers money.
As someone said before, it's not the people arriving in boats from abroad that are the problem in this country, it is the people leaving Eton that are the problem.

The grass is always greener.

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 16:41 - Mar 14 with 1597 viewseasthertsr

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 01:05 - Mar 14 by SydneyRs

Now, that is a perfect summation of where we are politically! Top post, difficult to argue against a word you wrote!
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 17:10 - Mar 14 with 1514 viewsJuzzie

Braverman said the other week that if you don't agree with the government's ideas you are "unpatriotic". She said the same in late 2020 about the Internal Market Bill.

The moment anyone (left, right, middle, whatever) says this that suggests to me that they have lost the plot if they have to resort to such tactics, tactics I expect from Putin, Trump and pretty much any other dictator.

if the UK government is going down this road then we're more fked than already thought.
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 10:37 - Mar 15 with 1235 viewsStreathamRanger

Trigger warning. Might not be to everyone's tastes but some interesting thoughts from Michael Rosen.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024