Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Annual Holiday Thread - Sri Lanka 12:48 - Mar 29 with 1858 viewsLoftusR

Planning to go this July / August. Any do's, don'ts, places to visit or hotels / places to stay. Also best way to get around.

All advice welcome.
Annual Holiday Thread - Sri Lanka on 14:12 - Mar 29 with 1726 viewsR_from_afar

I've never been, some friends of ours have and enjoyed it *but* please be aware that there is an ongoing economic crisis there. More details at the URL below. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news:
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/sri-lanka

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Annual Holiday Thread - Sri Lanka on 15:10 - Mar 29 with 1698 viewstoboboly

I would hire a driver and I would make sure it is done through somewhere/someone reputable.

Although the country is small the travel can be long due to very few motorways.

If you're happy with heights/walking then sigiriya is good for a morning, I enjoyed spending a day wandering round Galle fort and old town. Get on the Lion Beer too.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Annual Holiday Thread - Sri Lanka on 15:29 - Mar 29 with 1676 viewsstowmarketrange

When I went to Australia in 2017 with Emirates airline we passed over Sri Lanka,but I had the automatic window blind closed and missed it completely.I also couldn’t understand why it was still dark at 9am over Western Australia.
I plan to visit Sri Lanka for the next England cricket tour.
Annual Holiday Thread - Sri Lanka on 15:47 - Mar 29 with 1662 viewsRBlock

Do drink Lion beer. Don't drink the arrack - it's fvking vile.

Get the train from Kandy to Ella - phenomenal experience with incredible views, as the train snakes through the tea plantations and gets swallowed up by the clouds in the hills. There are some fantastic hikes around Ella as well.

Sigiriya rock is definitely worth doing. We also stopped off at Udawalawe National Park which was wonderful, getting so up close and personal to the elephants.
Annual Holiday Thread - Sri Lanka on 16:49 - Mar 29 with 1611 viewsjohnhoop

If you’re even remotely interested in wildlife take a pair of binoculars because the birdlife on the island is truly incredible. If you can make it over to the National Park at Yala on the East coast you’re pretty much guaranteed to see Elephants and maybe a leopard if you’re really lucky. ( I’ve been twice and didn’t see one but my brother did on his only visit.)
Rblock has already mentioned Ella in the tea growing highlands and there are some train journeys you can do here on the narrow gauge track that are really spectacular. If you can make it up to Horton Plains near Haputale, the atmosphere is other-worldly, with a hike over to the spectacular drop at Worlds End offering amazing views, although it can be obscured by cloud unless you get there really early. There used to be a hotel up there years ago called the Farr Inn but I think it got closed and turned into a museum.
July-August is low season because the beaches on the West Coast South of Colombo are not safe for swimming because of the dangerous currents so you’ll need to go to the East coast if you want to swim and surf. Arugam bay is where all the surfers head to. One thing that’s changed in the last few years is that the overwhelming majority of tourists are now Russian.
The economic crisis means there will probably be power cuts and shortages but on the other hand the locals will be delighted to welcome those who are coming back now as the near death of the tourist trade in the last few years has been a disaster for those whose livelihoods depend on it.
Annual Holiday Thread - Sri Lanka on 17:28 - Mar 29 with 1562 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I was there for a week leaving the night before the 2019 bombings.

I'd say Colombo is worth no more than a couple of days. Stayed at the Galle Face Hotel which is particularly comfortable. We then went to Kandy - interesting place, a big Buddhist temple there, did some walking and spent a day in the tea fields. Then down to the coast, name escapes me, but very chilled place.

I was given a number for Kangaroo Taxis from a chum - who we used to take us around. Didn't let us down, their website is https://kangaroocabs.com

One thing to be aware of: SL is a bit unstable currently, so check the FCO website for latest safety info. I'd also check the weather that time of year too.

If you meander Colombo, expect to be stopped by well dressed chaps introducing themselves as professional types innocently inquiring if you need assistance. They make a 'recommendation' and before you know it, a tuk-tuk arrives as they try to pressure you in.

Now you're a sensible fellow, and whether you're naive or a world weary traveller like me, wise to such shenanighans, just be polite, but firm in saying no thanks, and move on. Have to say it was a recurring feature of our time in Colombo, so if you're easily annoyed by such things, just be ready to respond and move on.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

(No subject) (n/t) on 17:29 - Mar 29 with 1560 viewsPlanetHonneywood

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Annual Holiday Thread - Sri Lanka on 20:28 - Mar 30 with 1346 viewsLoftusR

Thanks for all the tips guys. Annoyingly flights have gone up close to £300 in the last month so put a bit of pressure on the budget. Hopefully book flights tomorrow and off we go😃
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024