Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Less psychology, more self respect. 13:10 - Apr 19 with 2942 views_tf_

Give me strength.

As the crowd drifted away on Saturday it felt like the lifeblood of the club draining away. I have absolutely no idea what is behind this mass psychosis amongst the players. I have no idea why Taylor Richards stopped to do up his laces in the middle of a passge of play at Rotherham (and where incidentally I watched him warm up in disbelief, he is clearly not well). And I have no idea why Dozzell on Saturday spent so much of his time fiddling with his hair. Again and again and again. A grown man fiddling with his fringe while all hell is breaking loose around him. Chris Martin's comments about commitment 'off the pitch' is so revealing as is the perpetual shambles of the Tyler Roberts situation. Again, I have no idea why Roberts is clearly taking the piss but when did the club lose so much control of this season that they have also jettisoned their self-respect? To borrow from Clive's review, the tail is indeed wagging the dog. I am sick and tired about hearing about how 'fragile' our players are. My sister is sometimes 'fragile' after a 14 hour shift in A and E, but I'll give her that. It's time for this lot to have a long hard look in the mirror, grow a pair and so forth, insert your own metaphor here, but for the love of god have some self respect.

I've supported QPR for nearly 50 years now, through thick and thin. We all know the deal, we've all got the scars. But this iteration of incompetence is new level, in that I genuinely feel that we are being treated contemptuously by a lot of this team and by definition, the club. I know this might attract some criticism but neither me or my son will be going tonight, as we both arrived at the conclusion that we don't actually know what we'd be supporting any more...
Less psychology, more self respect. on 14:01 - Apr 19 with 2800 viewsbosh67

As I said in a previous thread I don't get to see many games anymore but I was a guest of a friend on Saturday.

People have said the players don't care. I don't think that's true. What I did see was a team/squad that very clearly has lost all belief in its own abilities. As Dunne and Dickie launched balls down the lines and into the stands both players continually put their hands on their heads. Few of our players had the confidence to trap a ball properly and couldn't wait to get rid of it. It was very odd but much more akin to a total lack of belief than not caring.

The other odd thing was Ilias as early as the 15th minute putting his hand on his forehead and just not being at it at all. I said to my friend that I thought he seemed unwell and he did go off after an unusually poor game. Was it an effect of Ramadan or something else? We may never know.

Another thing was that in the first half a lot of Coventry players went down with various injuries and during those periods most of our players stood around on their own and there were no discussions at all between them. When Martin berated Paal for being out of position for the first goal Paal had to be restrained before the restart.

It feels like belief is at an all time low and communication is almost non existent on and perhaps off the pitch. I don't believe the players don't care. Even though we got stuffed again in the end I can't say they didn't care. But there was evidently no belief at all, despite all the enthusiasm of Ainsworth.

I've been following the club for 50 years and I can't remember a time where the players looked so bereft of belief. I would love it to change but I just can't see it happening. I hope I am wrong.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2023 14:02]

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Less psychology, more self respect. on 14:21 - Apr 19 with 2716 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I think this could have gone in any of the other 300 threads but I can’t help being anything other than an opinionated shit so here goes…

Most players do care, if not for the club, then for themselves as relegation has a severe impact on their market value, and therefore their wages and contract length.

One chink of truth that came through that bullshit Balogun interview was when he said that of course he cares, this could be his last contract.

I just think they are either not very good, injury prone, mentally fragile, or all three.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2023 14:37]
Less psychology, more self respect. on 14:34 - Apr 19 with 2654 viewsridethewave

Less psychology, more self respect. on 14:21 - Apr 19 by BazzaInTheLoft

I think this could have gone in any of the other 300 threads but I can’t help being anything other than an opinionated shit so here goes…

Most players do care, if not for the club, then for themselves as relegation has a severe impact on their market value, and therefore their wages and contract length.

One chink of truth that came through that bullshit Balogun interview was when he said that of course he cares, this could be his last contract.

I just think they are either not very good, injury prone, mentally fragile, or all three.

Think this is the case as well. Take Ethan Laird, hardly doing his prospects any good by coming here, playing terribly, spending half the time injured, and ending up near the bottom of the league or being relegated. Don't think the higher ups at Man U are looking at any of this and evaluating him as one of their better prospects at this rate. Takes a big leap to assume he doesn't care about any of this.
Less psychology, more self respect. on 15:13 - Apr 19 with 2568 viewsNorthernr

Why did Grant Hall refuse to play the lockdown fixtures…
Less psychology, more self respect. on 15:15 - Apr 19 with 2552 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Less psychology, more self respect. on 15:13 - Apr 19 by Northernr

I didn’t know / forgot he did, but you have to make exceptions for stupidity and those with a deal arranged.

Also that was three seasons ago.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2023 23:22]
Less psychology, more self respect. on 15:59 - Apr 19 with 2422 viewsterryb

Care? I'm not sure.

Trty? I think yhe players believe that they do. However, Field made two challenges on Saturday that risked his health. I've seen seen anyone else this seasson that has been prepared to put their body on the line.

There is a difference between trying & giving 100%.
Less psychology, more self respect. on 16:25 - Apr 19 with 2358 viewsBAWHoops

One of the great collective amnesia moments from our fanbase. We just sort of shrug and accepted it.
Bloke was club captain and we had an outside chance of the play offs. Absolutely disgraceful

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Less psychology, more self respect. on 16:35 - Apr 19 with 2322 viewsjoe90

Wasn’t it because he was concerned about the health implications having recently become a father?

I think that’s fair enough.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2023 16:38]
Login to get fewer ads

Less psychology, more self respect. on 16:35 - Apr 19 with 2323 viewsNorthernr

Less psychology, more self respect. on 15:15 - Apr 19 by BazzaInTheLoft

I didn’t know / forgot he did, but you have to make exceptions for stupidity and those with a deal arranged.

Also that was three seasons ago.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2023 23:22]

Come on now, from his point of view, why did he refuse to play in those games?

Or let’s do it another way, why did Loyal Taylor refuse to take part in Charlton’s relegation battle? Top scorer happy to risk condemning the team that took him to the Championship to relegation by withdrawing his labour. Why did he do that?
Less psychology, more self respect. on 16:36 - Apr 19 with 2319 viewsNorthernr

Less psychology, more self respect. on 16:35 - Apr 19 by joe90

Wasn’t it because he was concerned about the health implications having recently become a father?

I think that’s fair enough.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2023 16:38]

If that’s genuinely a serious response I actually give up.

Did Taylor have health concerns at Charlton too?
Less psychology, more self respect. on 16:50 - Apr 19 with 2261 viewsjoe90

Less psychology, more self respect. on 16:36 - Apr 19 by Northernr

If that’s genuinely a serious response I actually give up.

Did Taylor have health concerns at Charlton too?

That’s what he said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/11679594/grant-hall-qpr-football-return-

Maybe you know something I don’t?
[Post edited 19 Apr 2023 16:53]
Less psychology, more self respect. on 17:14 - Apr 19 with 2173 viewsNorthernr

Less psychology, more self respect. on 16:50 - Apr 19 by joe90

That’s what he said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/11679594/grant-hall-qpr-football-return-

Maybe you know something I don’t?
[Post edited 19 Apr 2023 16:53]

This is why these players get away with this sht.

Why did Taylor refuse to play for Charlton?
Less psychology, more self respect. on 17:22 - Apr 19 with 2119 viewsRangersw12

Less psychology, more self respect. on 17:14 - Apr 19 by Northernr

Because he was leaving at the end of the season and didn't want to get injured and jeopardise a big money move

Same with Hall.

The complete opposite of Rangel who played and had to retire due to injury
Less psychology, more self respect. on 17:33 - Apr 19 with 2071 viewsE15Hoop

Hold on, Clive - in Grant Hall's case, the story clearly states that this was before the vaccine was made available.
You could rightly argue, surely, that he's actually taking quite a mature approach by putting his family's health before his own personal interests.
Now if he continued with that approach after the vaccine was widely available, then maybe that's a different case, but personally I think, unusually for you, you're trying to fit a preconceived narrative to the story, instead of letting the story itself lead you to a balanced, objective conclusion.
As for Loyal Taylor, that's quite possibly a while different kettle of fish, and there are undoubtedly countless other examples looking back through history that you could reasonably quote.
Less psychology, more self respect. on 17:33 - Apr 19 with 2067 viewsNorthernr

Less psychology, more self respect. on 17:22 - Apr 19 by Rangersw12

Because he was leaving at the end of the season and didn't want to get injured and jeopardise a big money move

Same with Hall.

The complete opposite of Rangel who played and had to retire due to injury

THANK YOU.

A grown up enters the chat.

These players came here to compete for promotion, came here to play for Beale, none of that had happened.

If you think any of them will be punished by having to do a loan at Barrow next season you’re insane. Laird, Roberts, all these ppl will get good deals next year, while we’re playing Lincoln. If they get a bad injury between now and the end, not so much.
Less psychology, more self respect. on 17:35 - Apr 19 with 2055 viewsNorthernr

Less psychology, more self respect. on 17:33 - Apr 19 by E15Hoop

Hold on, Clive - in Grant Hall's case, the story clearly states that this was before the vaccine was made available.
You could rightly argue, surely, that he's actually taking quite a mature approach by putting his family's health before his own personal interests.
Now if he continued with that approach after the vaccine was widely available, then maybe that's a different case, but personally I think, unusually for you, you're trying to fit a preconceived narrative to the story, instead of letting the story itself lead you to a balanced, objective conclusion.
As for Loyal Taylor, that's quite possibly a while different kettle of fish, and there are undoubtedly countless other examples looking back through history that you could reasonably quote.

And that contract at Middlesbrough just came out of thin air did it?

You guys have drunk the Kool Aid.

These players are taking the pis out of you.
Less psychology, more self respect. on 17:46 - Apr 19 with 2004 viewsjoe90

Don’t know or care about Lyle Taylor.

Perhaps I’m naïve, but if he says he’s concerned about his daughters health then I believe him.

I’ve not drunk the ‘kool aid’ I just don’t care about the players as much as you do.

How does your attitude help you?
[Post edited 19 Apr 2023 23:32]
Less psychology, more self respect. on 17:54 - Apr 19 with 1978 viewsE15Hoop

Less psychology, more self respect. on 17:35 - Apr 19 by Northernr

We all feel your anger and frustration, and, yes, it's a tad ironic that these players will get effectively rewarded for failure whilst the club is left to pick up the pieces, but let's be honest, we didn't have to take them on loan in the first place, did we - as you yourself have stated on numerous occasions.
This is the risk you run with the loan system in general, as we've discussed to death on this forum over however many years. Using a completely unscientific sampling method, I would estimate that its roughly a 50/50 split between loans that have worked for us against loans that haven't.
This season's crop has not exactly gone spectularly well - I doubt anyone disagrees with that. As for the rest of the squad, you've been very clear as to who you would put in what camp.
We will obviously be returning this theme a lot over the coming weeks once the dust settles, but I have to say I have been very surprised at just how intensely you're raging over this whole issue, as sh*t as it undoubtedly all is.
Less psychology, more self respect. on 18:09 - Apr 19 with 1934 views_tf_

Less psychology, more self respect. on 17:35 - Apr 19 by Northernr

This. This is how I feel at the moment. For every one good example of comradeship/team spirit in the squad (Dykes' recovery from pneumonia) there are dozens of mystery illnesses/injuries/absences and all the other nonsense we have endured this year. As I was trying to hint at in the first post, it would appear to me that post Beale, the club has lost control of the squad. Management (not the manager, please note) needs to dictate to staff, not the other way round.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they'll put five past Norwich tonight and I'll have missed this year's 'reward' game. But I have never felt further from the individuals pulling on the shirt.
Less psychology, more self respect. on 18:27 - Apr 19 with 1876 viewsE15Hoop

Less psychology, more self respect. on 18:09 - Apr 19 by _tf_

This. This is how I feel at the moment. For every one good example of comradeship/team spirit in the squad (Dykes' recovery from pneumonia) there are dozens of mystery illnesses/injuries/absences and all the other nonsense we have endured this year. As I was trying to hint at in the first post, it would appear to me that post Beale, the club has lost control of the squad. Management (not the manager, please note) needs to dictate to staff, not the other way round.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they'll put five past Norwich tonight and I'll have missed this year's 'reward' game. But I have never felt further from the individuals pulling on the shirt.

Hold on - this narrative assumes that "the squad" is a homogenous unit that all operates in the same way, whilst at the same time stating that there is clear disunity in the camp (Martin and Paal almost coming to blows on Saturday, Dickie and Dunne kicking off at each other in weeks gone past etc etc.)
You can't have it both ways. The truth is surely that there are individuals who care passionately about what's going on (Ilias Chair is probabaly an obvious example) but are so disillusioned with other people's attitude that thy're finding it hard to function with any degree of confidence and conviction that it looks like they don't casre, when in fact, if anything, they maybe care TOO much.
There is a concept in psychology called the "idle interval". One obvious example is when a baby screams so loudly for attention that its obvious that it deperately needs someone to go and investiagte what's going on. Eventually, if left unattended for long enough, that baby will stop crying and will just look blankly past whoever eventually comes to its aid, as its concluded that it doesn't matter what it does, it can't aaffect an outcome to change its circumstances.
I would suggest we're witnessing disintegration of the aquad, and you will find players right along the spectrum.
Less psychology, more self respect. on 18:38 - Apr 19 with 1842 viewskropotkin41

I was wondering earlier if I actually hope we win tonight. I sort of hope we win for the sake of people going, but the bigger picture is that if QPR 2023 were a horse you loved you'd have the vet shoot it.
League 1 might be a disaster, oh no, we'll go bust, oh no, the football will be terrible (don't buy that btw)... but at least we won't be here, now, with this lot, and these hard, depressing facts.
I'd rather have a football team worthy of the passion and support at whatever level.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Less psychology, more self respect. on 18:47 - Apr 19 with 1814 viewsNorthernr

Less psychology, more self respect. on 22:55 - Apr 19 with 1639 viewsdistortR

Less psychology, more self respect. on 18:27 - Apr 19 by E15Hoop

Hold on - this narrative assumes that "the squad" is a homogenous unit that all operates in the same way, whilst at the same time stating that there is clear disunity in the camp (Martin and Paal almost coming to blows on Saturday, Dickie and Dunne kicking off at each other in weeks gone past etc etc.)
You can't have it both ways. The truth is surely that there are individuals who care passionately about what's going on (Ilias Chair is probabaly an obvious example) but are so disillusioned with other people's attitude that thy're finding it hard to function with any degree of confidence and conviction that it looks like they don't casre, when in fact, if anything, they maybe care TOO much.
There is a concept in psychology called the "idle interval". One obvious example is when a baby screams so loudly for attention that its obvious that it deperately needs someone to go and investiagte what's going on. Eventually, if left unattended for long enough, that baby will stop crying and will just look blankly past whoever eventually comes to its aid, as its concluded that it doesn't matter what it does, it can't aaffect an outcome to change its circumstances.
I would suggest we're witnessing disintegration of the aquad, and you will find players right along the spectrum.

I take your psychoanalysis, and, against the modern grain,I give you.................
'man up'.
Like so many others of us do, 50 hours a week.
Responsibility. Resilience. Self-respect.
It's where it's at.
So i'll go do my manual job, with my damaged shoulder and arthritic hands, and I'll do my best. For a tiny proportion of what these c'nts are earning. For 50 weeks a year.
And I'll stand proud.
Less psychology, more self respect. on 11:28 - Apr 20 with 1403 viewsE15Hoop

Less psychology, more self respect. on 22:55 - Apr 19 by distortR

I take your psychoanalysis, and, against the modern grain,I give you.................
'man up'.
Like so many others of us do, 50 hours a week.
Responsibility. Resilience. Self-respect.
It's where it's at.
So i'll go do my manual job, with my damaged shoulder and arthritic hands, and I'll do my best. For a tiny proportion of what these c'nts are earning. For 50 weeks a year.
And I'll stand proud.

100% with you, Fella.
Hopefully, this is an age thing rather than a generational thing (although I do sometimes wonder).
The hope I have is that I'm definitely better at saying this to myself at not far off 60 than I was when not far off 30. Here's a classic Paul Weller song echoing your sentiments for all of us "oldies but goodies":
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024